Would a trade for DK Metcalf be possible given his current contract??

I don't want to trade for a guy. I want the Bills to draft a guy high. The Bills need to continue to get younger and cheaper. Go have a good draft and get the pieces you need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Yeah, you’re right somewhat. But is he having the continued success after Alex Smith; a la Pat Mahomes? 

He’ll be productive. No doubt. Don’t think he’s coming away with the average of  100 Rec’ / 1238 Yds / 8.6 TDs…

That’s a huge average for a WR, let alone a TE. 

QB and system over 6 years versus the following over 4:            76.8 Rec’ / 975 Yds / 5.5 TDs with Alex Smith. 

Still elite numbers but not otherworldly like the ones with Mahomes/Reid. 

QB matters. 

Every game thread, it’s “why does nobody cover Kelce, he’s always wide open”.  Mahomes helps, but elite receivers get their numbers regardless. Metcalf is very good, but he’s nowhere near the hype just as Davis isn’t great, but he’s better than he gets credit for around here. 

• Agree 1

DK Metcalf has too many question marks.  His salary is already too high IMO.  He's in the J Jefferson range and J Jeff would be the much better player to get.

I'm talking myself back into Dhop.  He is great value at that $13M range - and I think he has much better hands than Metcalf.  Dhop would be a great bridge as we develop someone like A Mitchell/Legette/Franklin/McConkey or Coleman.  All those rookies are risky though (even BTJ) whereas DHop is a known commodity.

Tenn has a high pick, number 7, I believe.  Trading to get up there would take too much IMO.  But Tenn may want to grab one of the big 3 and then unload DHop.  The question would be what would it take draft capital wise.  

I could live with Hopkins if the Bills could get him for a late round pick and he's only on a 1 year deal.  Otherwise, it's not worth it.  He's older than Diggs, he's had his share of injuries, and he's more of a possession receiver than a downfield threat.  That said, he's got a lot of NFL experience, he's a great route runner that gets open, he has great hands, and his contract is reasonable given his talent level and experience.  The Bills should not get stuck in any kind of longer-term deal on an aging WR, particularly after taking the pain this season to move on from one.

Regardless of whether they sign a veteran like Hopkins, they still need to draft 1 to 2 WRs this season, ideally one taller guy and one speed guy.  Unless they make a major trade up, I don't think they're going to get a guy that's both and even if they get a guy that can do both, it still makes sense to draft 2.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'll refrain from being the guy who said he told everyone so

Best we just rectify the multiple errors of 2019 by bringing the man here.

I'll refrain from being that guy that points out that I also was banging the table for Metcalf.  However, I am humble enough to admit I was wrong about Cody Ford considering everyone seemed to think he was going to go in the first round.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Not sure what you mean by "if Seattle eats some of that contract in the way the Bills did with Diggs". Buffalo didn't "eat" Diggs' contract, it's just the way the salary cap works where a signing bonus is paid up front but is amortized over the course of the contract. When a player is traded, what's left of the amortization immediately goes against the cap. This is the first time I've looked at overthecap, but I think I understand it. Metcalf would have a base salary of around $13 million this year and $18 million next year. Seattle would have a dead cap hit of $15 million / $7.5 million this year / next year. Unless they really want to get rid of him, I doubt they'd want to do that. But, I didn't think the Bills would have wanted to take the big hit they did for Diggs, so, what do I know.

Well, they could convert 50-66% of this years base salary to a signing bonus before trading him to the Bills with the incentive of a higher draft pick from the Bills in return.

That's what I meant by Seattle "eating" some of his contract......not at all sure if that is allowed or if Seattle would be willing to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'll refrain from being the guy who said he told everyone so

Best we just rectify the multiple errors of 2019 by bringing the man here.

You were the most vocal about wanting to draft him.

We’d have at least one Lombardi by now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

DK Metcalf has too many question marks.  His salary is already too high IMO.  He's in the J Jefferson range and J Jeff would be the much better player to get.

I'm talking myself back into Dhop.  He is great value at that $13M range - and I think he has much better hands than Metcalf.  Dhop would be a great bridge as we develop someone like A Mitchell/Legette/Franklin/McConkey or Coleman.  All those rookies are risky though (even BTJ) whereas DHop is a known commodity.

Tenn has a high pick, number 7, I believe.  Trading to get up there would take too much IMO.  But Tenn may want to grab one of the big 3 and then unload DHop.  The question would be what would it take draft capital wise.  

If Keenan Allen was traded for a 4th, DHop isn’t going for anything more than a 5th and it would think even that’s pushing it 

6 hours ago, Special K said:

We already paid a FA contract for a WR in Curtis Samuel.  The Bills need  to get younger and cheaper to keep their cap space in good shape.  They need to go to the draft and get some good players who will be here for the next four years.

6 hours ago, Special K said:

I believe he has 2 years and 35 million left on his current contract......if Seattle eats some of that contract in the way the Bills did with Diggs, could a trade for Metcalf be possible?

How about a 2nd and 4th this year plus a conditional 2nd that could become a 1st next year for Metcalf and Seattle's 3rd rounder this year.

This would still leave the Bills with the ability to draft a WR at 28.....they could go with a smaller speed-type receiver like Xavier Worthy to compliment Metcalf at WR2.

An offense of Metcalf, Worthy, Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook would surpass anything any other AFC offense could put on the field!!

Lets go, Beane!!

remind me - what did the bills eat with diggs?

5 hours ago, Beast said:

I think there were many, many posters that wanted Metcalf.

Not my memory of it

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

You were the most vocal about wanting to draft him.

We’d have at least one Lombardi by now. 

Yep 

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

If Keenan Allen was traded for a 4th, DHop isn’t going for anything more than a 5th and it would think even that’s pushing it 

We'd still have to clear $10 million to add him. I get were getting that close to that on June 1 yet the draft is in April. 

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I’m hoping we just double down on WR in the draft and take two guys in the 1st/2nd round.

We might do a Round 1/6 double down like did with Elam/Benford but suspect the 2nd guy would be more of a return type guy aka 4th/5th roster guy. 

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

DK >>>> Gabe

image.thumb.png.8ce30f15009f559fd7ad434cb0372ac3.png

Far superior QB play here.....give him the targets Diggs gets....    115 receptions for 1700 yards and 14 TDs

Question is, can he handle Diggs target load? Not likely. Diggs is a do it all type WR in terms of the route tree. I don't see DK as that guy. And does he have the endurance? He's a massive dude.

That said, I would be all for bringing in DK, even if it cost us a similar package that brought Diggs here. It's a bit of a gamble because he does only have that one great season but one could argue that was the last season Wilson was good and so the last season DK had an elite QB. Some of the tangibles are certainly still there with him.

If we brought him in and he ended up being basically Davis but on a higher level, I think I would be fine with that. I think the team is wanting to go in a direction of spreading the ball around more and not having that one guy that needs to get over 140 targets every year.

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:
3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

We might do a Round 1/6 double down like did with Elam/Benford but suspect the 2nd guy would be more of a return type guy aka 4th/5th roster guy. 

We could do that, I’m hoping we follow the Rousseau/Basham approach. This draft is lucratively deep at wideout. I’m hoping for a Brian Thomas Jr/Xavier Legette type of approach with a few OL/bodyguards for Josh in the 4th/5th RD.

7 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Seattle is up against the cap but would actually gain $1m in cap space by trading Metcalf.  It’s a new coach, so wouldn’t surprise me if they’d move Metcalf for some premium draft picks.  Plus Metcalf probably wants new contract as he’s outplayed his current one.  

Next years 1st plus swap of 2024 2nd for their 2024 3rd plus one of our 4th’s.  

# 28 is all due to his contract. It’s a historic WR draft. Keep your picks and select 2 WR’s.. still have 9 more to fill in needs. Anything more than that is not a good idea. 

8 hours ago, Billl said:

81 targets for 45 catches, 746 yards, 7 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.2 yards per target

119 targets for 66 catches, 1114 yards, 8 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.4 yards per target

That’s Gabe and DK. 

Stats are for losers. Watch how differently they catch the ball

47 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Stats are for losers. Watch how differently they catch the ball

...how differently they run after catch how much more open he gets...how much attention he gets from def and still produces.  

These players aren't in the same stratosphere. 

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

We could do that, I’m hoping we follow the Rousseau/Basham approach. This draft is lucratively deep at wideout. I’m hoping for a Brian Thomas Jr/Xavier Legette type of approach with a few OL/bodyguards for Josh in the 4th/5th RD.

I think we need an eventual replacement for Da'Quan Jones that can't take later than Round 2. We also need to shore up some depth in the secondary and at RB which to me more important than getting two WRs. I'm okay getting one in the first 2 rounds but not both.

21 hours ago, Billl said:

81 targets for 45 catches, 746 yards, 7 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.2 yards per target

119 targets for 66 catches, 1114 yards, 8 TDS, 56% catch rate and 9.4 yards per target

That’s Gabe and DK. 

Wow they are literally the exact same player lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Billl said:

That’s Gabe and DK. 

Uh yeah, that's Gabe and DK. DK regularly gets himself in more favorable positions which means he gets 2.67 more targets per game than Gabe which is a whopping difference in NFL terms. He produces like this despite teams specifically game planning to stop him and with a much worse QB than Allen throwing him the ball.

How did you think this post made the point you were trying to make?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Uh yeah, that's Gabe and DK. DK regularly gets himself in more favorable positions which means he gets 2.67 more targets per game than Gabe which is a whopping difference in NFL terms. He produces like this despite teams specifically game planning to stop him and with a much worse QB than Allen throwing him the ball.

How did you think this post made the point you were trying to make?

Yes, he gets a ton more targets but he doesn’t put up all that much more production.  In 2022, Metcalf had 50 more targets.  He wound up with 200 more yards and one fewer TD than Davis.  I’m pretty sure Davis could have equaled his yardage total had he been forcefed the ball the way Metcalf was.  

Last season, Metcalf had 30 more targets.  He had 350 more yards and 1 more TD.  So over the past 2 seasons, Metcalf has had 550 more yards and the same number of TDs on 80 more targets.  

I’m not trying to say that they’re equal players.  Metcalf is significantly better than Davis, but the margin isn’t nearly as wide as people here think.  DK is wildly over-rated here and Davis was always wildly under appreciated.  Guys who put up 7 TDs a season don’t grow on trees.

There isn't a "Keep some cap like the Bills did" in the NFL. 

This isn't the NHL. There is no "negotiating' cap space in roster movement. For the most part teams can either restructure existing contracts which is a predetermined formula, cut, or extend (to move some things around). There are no Jeff Skinner situations in the NFL where you try and move a player and negotiate what you keep and what you don't. 

That said DK's dead cap number is much higher than his cap hit on the roster. It wouldn't make any sense for Seattle to move on before June 1 if at all. 

Edited by Mango

23 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He is somewhat living off of his 2020 season still, which was close to elite. 

But his yards per target over the last 4 years is actually higher than Diggs 4 years here in Buffalo.

DK would be a Davis replacement not a Diggs replacement. You don't pay DK the kind of money he will likely command when you pay your QB top tier money.

That said, if DK is willing to take ~$12M-ish when his contract is up.*

(He won't)

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I would gladly take DHop for a 5th, but I don't think you are considering the salary's of the two.  Keenan is a $20M underperformer, kind of like Diggs.  DHop is a $13M WR outperforming his contract.  Part of the value for trading for DHop is he has a desirable contract in place - although you would juice that up a bit but are able to craft it in a way that you like.

Personally in terms of expected performance for next year, in my mind DHop > Diggs (at least in Buff, overall DHop = Diggs).

• Agree 1

We need some dudes.  Metcalf is one of those.  He steps up in the playoffs.  He doesn’t get bullied by DB’s when the refs let everything go in the playoffs.  He does the bullying.  All our skill players are cost controlled for at least 2 years.  Trade next years 1st and give him $20m per year over next 3 years.  Then draft an O-Lineman at 28 and a WR at 60.  

9 hours ago, Billl said:

Yes, he gets a ton more targets but he doesn’t put up all that much more production.  In 2022, Metcalf had 50 more targets.  He wound up with 200 more yards and one fewer TD than Davis.  I’m pretty sure Davis could have equaled his yardage total had he been forcefed the ball the way Metcalf was.  

Last season, Metcalf had 30 more targets.  He had 350 more yards and 1 more TD.  So over the past 2 seasons, Metcalf has had 550 more yards and the same number of TDs on 80 more targets.  

I’m not trying to say that they’re equal players.  Metcalf is significantly better than Davis, but the margin isn’t nearly as wide as people here think.  DK is wildly over-rated here and Davis was always wildly under appreciated.  Guys who put up 7 TDs a season don’t grow on trees.

Gabe is much more of a Marquez Valdes Scantling comp than he is a comp to Metcalf.    

Gabe and MVS have benefitted immensely from playing their entire careers with elite QB's and being a complementary option.

When given opportunities to step up in class........they have both wilted.

Metcalf is similar stylistically,  but he's clearly on a different level.   He is often tasked with going against the opponents top CB and has produced despite non-elite QB play.   Btw.....as you know, you cherry picked Metcalf's catch %........which is over 60% for his career versus Gabe's  career 54.5%.   

And as @BuffaloRebound also noted.........due to his physicality DK becomes a much more effective player in the playoffs when the yellow hankies get tucked away.    Gabe gets called "playoff Gabe" as he has put up 68 yards per game and 6 TD in 7 games..........but Metcalf has averaged 113 yards per game and scored 5 TD in 4 games.  

Is DK worth the top of the market $ for a WR?   No, but he's probably worth somewhere in the middle of that and what Gabe and MVS have been paid on their 2nd contracts.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1