La'al Collins signs for the Bills

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

I know it is "up to" 6.5 million but doesn't that mean he will at least get a long look at starting?

The only spot where he can really "compete" for is LG where David Edwards is. And I am fine if that's the competition as Edwards is the weakest link on the line on paper. Spencer Brown the last 10-12 games he played last season was a very good RT, Torrence was the best "pure guard" in the 2023 draft and he put in a good season, Collins isn't a center or a LT but Dawkins and McGovern have those spots on lock coming off career years. 

It's either a pure depth signing or he is going to compete with Edwards. That's fine I am good with either. Although I would like to see the Bills spend pick 60 on a top guard in the draft and plug in another cheap rookie and have Edwards and Collins as depth. But I don't think that's going to happen. 

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

My guess is he’ll be the swing tackle 

Ok. Still seems like a lot of money for a guy who was out all last year and hasn't been any good for three years.

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why?  Ever ask yourself why ever WHy the bills telegraphed every sneak was over the LG now starting C. 

So why not keep him at tackle?  Or are you saying Morse stank because they didn't run QB sneaks thru him? Obviously not Morse's strong suit but it's major revisionist history if people are saying he stank last season.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

I think Van Demark looked bad on the right side. 

When did we ever see him on the right side?  He played like, 3 snaps on the R side against the Giants.

22 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I know it is "up to" 6.5 million but doesn't that mean he will at least get a long look at starting?

Let's wait and see what the contract actually is.  Key points are how much is guaranteed, how much is salary, and what are the incentives.

Spencer Brown is set to be earning $3.585M this season.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

My biggest issue isn’t even the Diggs trade. I’m more angry about Beane nuking the best OL he’s given Josh since he got here. Tired of Josh having to run for his life and not having weapons. This year we get both. 

I understand where this is coming from, but I disagree as to the receivers.  You can't hold on to declining aging players forever.  Davis caught 55% of his targets.  Diggs 67% overall, but 62% after week 6.  Beane kept the 3 players that caught 80% plus in Shakir, Kincaid and Cook.  He brought in a proven slot player in Samuel and now has the opportunity to upgrade Davis with a 1st rd talent.  To me it looks like Allen is going to have a younger, faster and more talented overall group of pass catchers than he has ever had while in the NFL.  How much better would the Bills have been had Diggs & Davis caught the ball at even a 70% clip?  The math says easily another 10-12 catches and about 150 yards.  Those yards might have won us the Philly game or one of the other close games earlier in the season.

As to the offensive line, I was in your camp before the off-season.  I am not fully on board with moving McGovern to center.  However, Beane & Co, must truly believe that McGovern can be effective there and as others have pointed out there were issues on the line at the point of attack between McGovern and Morse.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

This was the dude that was expected to go in the first round, but then had the legal issue pop up RIGHT before the draft, right? And after the first round came and went without him being drafted, his agent told/asked every NFL team NOT to draft him, as he wanted Collins to be able to pick his own team? Then every team obliged, and he signed a UDFA deal with Dallas?

I remember being so mad at the Bills that year for not calling his agent's bluff and just drafting him in the 7th round. What could he have really done about it? 

Oh well. That's milk that was spilled a looooong time ago. And now, 9 years too late, he's a Bill. 

He'll be an interesting bit of trivia, along with former Bills Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Reggie Bush.

Yes, he was named in a murder investigation. The thought was that he wouldn't be named a suspect, but it was stil a fluid situation and no one knew for 100% certainty that nothing could possibly come from it. I think that had way more to do with no one Drafting him than the request itself. Even in Round 7, you don't want to be the team that has to stand up at a podium and explain to the public why they Drafted someone charged with Murder, knowing his name was involved in the case.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Could be a Darryl Williams type signing. Yet going to be hard to break into our starting 5 if ask me. 

He's depth. A swing Tackle with versatility to also be a Backup Guard. Lots of people are posting he's toast. And yes, he's at a point in his career where you don't want to start him 17 games every down.

But when it comes to a Backup Lineman, you can do a lot worse. Backup OT is a lot like Backup QB. There isn't even a solid 64 Starters in the League. You're always looking at the Ryan Quessenberry, Germain Ifedi, Bobby Hart's of the world. Taking a guy who played at a high level starter and using him in spot duty or in part of a season if someone were to get hurt for a little while, hopefully allows him to be fresh and play better when you need him.

But he's definitely not a Daryl Williams type guy that you view as a potential starter.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This was my first thought 😂 He's the only player so far who said anything to Diggs that I saw 🤣 HE MUST GO!

When you pose something as a joke that you'd actually be happy about. You've talked about it in the past and even talked about trading away Matt Milano yesterday in your obsession to acquire pieces to trade into the Top 10 of the Draft.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Do you think they told him when he signed, " We like you.  But we don't want to have to play you?" 

Do you think they told him he's in competion for a starting position? Or that he's in competion for a backup role?

11 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Ok. Still seems like a lot of money for a guy who was out all last year and hasn't been any good for three years.

So why not keep him at tackle?  Or are you saying Morse stank because they didn't run QB sneaks thru him? Obviously not Morse's strong suit but it's major revisionist history if people are saying he stank last season.

I am saying Morse play and push declined. He couldn’t anchor anymore. Reality is it was time to move on. I said what I said. Question I have why does my comment make you think I said he “stank” 

who are you benching at Tackle Brown or Dawkins. There is a possible position he can secure at LG? 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

When did we ever see him on the right side?  He played like, 3 snaps on the R side against the Giants.

Let's wait and see what the contract actually is.  Key points are how much is guaranteed, how much is salary, and what are the incentives.

Spencer Brown is set to be earning $3.585M this season.

In preseason, and he was bad at RT. Which is why I don't think view Van Demark as a swing tackle, but the backup LT.

9 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

My biggest issue isn’t even the Diggs trade. I’m more angry about Beane nuking the best OL he’s given Josh since he got here. Tired of Josh having to run for his life and not having weapons. This year we get both. 

How exactly did we "nuke" the OL?

Morse was slightly above average some games, but mostly average.  McGovern, Dawkins, Torrence and Brown return.  Edwards as well.

Yes Connor likely moves to C.  But that could be a very good thing.  Morse didn't hold up against 3-4 style, or anytime DT was in a 0 or 1i technique.

Edwards and Collins battle it out for LG.  Combined OL is just as good, if not better.  With Torrence likely improving and Brown as well.

We haven't even had the draft and you're prognisticating a bad WR room.  Let's see what happens in draft to start.  1st round WR and double dipping sometime later, and all of a sudden we might have a more diverse group since 2020

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

seems like this is the guard backup...if he makes the team he can play tackle or guard in a pinch if someone is hurt.  they now have a veteran who can back up at center and a veteran who can back up at guard tackle.

the issue with collins is he is known to be lazy and has a hip issue.

47 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

In preseason, and he was bad at RT. Which is why I don't think view Van Demark as a swing tackle, but the backup LT.

Players can and do improve year over year.  Especially between year 1 and year 2.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

How exactly did we "nuke" the OL?

Morse was slightly above average some games, but mostly average.  McGovern, Dawkins, Torrence and Brown return.  Edwards as well.

Yes Connor likely moves to C.  But that could be a very good thing.  Morse didn't hold up against 3-4 style, or anytime DT was in a 0 or 1i technique.

Edwards and Collins battle it out for LG.  Combined OL is just as good, if not better.  With Torrence likely improving and Brown as well.

We haven't even had the draft and you're prognisticating a bad WR room.  Let's see what happens in draft to start.  1st round WR and double dipping sometime later, and all of a sudden we might have a more diverse group since 2020

Why change the o line at all? It worked last year for once. You think oft-injured Collins or old Edwards is going to hold the left side? And we were healthy last year which won’t happen again. Add in trading a versatile bates, and I’m not seeing what there is to be positive about. No depth at all. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Why change the o line at all? It worked last year for once. You think oft-injured Collins or old Edwards is going to hold the left side? And we were healthy last year which won’t happen again. Add in trading a versatile bates, and I’m not seeing what there is to be positive about. No depth at all. 

Morse wasn't worth his contract at this point of his career.

And since you brought up injuries, Morse is always 1 concussion away from being done/career ending.  He also seems to battle through elbow injuries each year, and is not getting any younger.

Bates was versatile.  But it's very possible that Alec Anderson is our Swiss army guy at IOL.  Loser of Edwards/Collins battle also gives depth.  And we signed Clapp, who has solid starting experience.

Starting OL will be just as good, if not improved.  Remembering Torrence as a rookie and Brown showed his potential with a full offseason regimen (not coming off surgery/injury).  OL is least of concerns with the current roster.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally insane. He is toast.

When you have the chance to overpay the dude who can't contribute to the Bengals crappy OL, you just have to do it.

We are approaching fire beane territory tbh

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Hell compete with David Edwards at LG duties. RVD is Dawkins backup. Collins bumps out to RT if there is an injury to Brown 

Rob Van Dam Sport GIF by WWE

There is only 1 RVD

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Whoa! Up to 6.25m?! I literally just made a thread of our Projected Draft Capital. Not only would this be an overpay, it could cost us a Comp Pick next season. Wow.

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really close to that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But that price tag is puzzling.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When you have the chance to overpay the dude who can't contribute to the Bengals crappy OL, you just have to do it.

We are approaching fire beane territory tbh

what about the words “Up to” don’t you understand?  This player is capable of starting at LG or RT if you need him to.

good signing. Can also use him in Jumbo sets

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Whoa! Up to 6.25m?! I literally just made a thread of our Projected Draft Capital. Not only would this be an overpay, it could cost us a Comp Pick next season. Wow.

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But that price tag is puzzling.

No it doesn’t cost us a comp pick. He was cut by the bengals 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what about the words “Up to” don’t you understand?  This player is capable of starting at LG or RT if you need him to.

good signing

News to me, the Bengals, the Cowboys, and his agent.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

No it doesn’t cost us a comp pick. He was cut by the bengals 

Wasn't he signed to the Cowboys PS after that?

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I hope most of the "up to" is incentives and it isn't really close to that much. I mean, that's more than we paid Edwards - who was the presumed starter at Guard. Are we planning on Starting Collins at Guard now?

I was for this move at depth. But 

Yes a little premature to be counting those comp picks for next year … I was under the impression that FA deals over the next month will still count on the formula for 2025…

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Camp competition for the swing tackle role, methinks.

I really liked the way Ryan VanDemark looked, but what the hell do I know?

I think the classic “you need nearly twice as many bodies for camp and you never know if vandemark has a jet ski” signing. 

If he somehow returns to form: awesome. 

if he gets part way there a jumps RVD: awesome 

If he’s behind RVD you at least have a vet that knows the building and the calls if you get caught with a run of injuries 

and if he’s total trash- no loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes a little premature to be counting those comp picks for next year … I was under the impression that FA deals over the next month will still count on the formula for 2025…

I didn't say it was a finalized list. Anything can change. I would be disappointed if we paid what we did and potentially gave up a 5th Rounder next year for Collins.

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They cut him last season, not this season. He then was signed to Dallas Practice Squad and then his contract ended when their season ended. He's a Free Agent on a lapsed contract at this point.

I don’t believe practice squad guys count, do they? 

that said it would be an anomaly for a PS guy to turn around and get a big deal   

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t believe practice squad guys count, do they? 

that said it would be an anomaly for a PS guy to turn around and get a big deal   

I don't think a cut from last season would carry over to the next season. If we were to sign him last year when he was cut, then it wouldn't have counted. As of the start of the League Year, he's a Free and clear Free Agent that would count against the Comp formula - or at least I'd think so. 

I'd certainly hope it wouldn't count, as to pay that much and give up on a pick for Collins would be staggering to me.

EDIT: "The Comp Guy" on Twitter (who's the go to guy for all Comp related queries for the Cover 1 guys) confirmed Collins does NOT count:

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think a cut from last season would carry over to the next season. If we were to sign him last year when he was cut, then it wouldn't have counted. As of the start of the League Year, he's a Free and clear Free Agent that would count against the Comp formula - or at least I'd think so. 

I'd certainly hope it wouldn't count, as to pay that much and give up on a pick for Collins would be staggering to me.

The demarcation about cut vs expiring contract is his prior team choosing to dispel their rights to him vs the player leaving without restriction (an untendered rfa doesn’t count either for instance because the prior team explicitly chose not to keep him). 

essentially an expiring contract is another team pulling a player and you can’t stop them even if you want to. With that You could gain a pick, the other team could lose a pick. 

a guy that was on the practice squad and not on a 53 man roster I do not believe counts in that any more than a guy in the cfl or rugby player or Lebron James or a player that was out of the league would

that said it would be very rare for a guy to go from PS to meaningful contract that would qualify so I can’t even think of a test case to look at 

Edited by NoSaint

Just seems like wasted cap money to me.  Thats fine when there is cap space but there isn't.  This team always seems to rather have 5 bottom end cheap guys than 1 guy who is good to great at his position.  I know there needs to be camp bodies and backups or whatever but that should be a min contract guy.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just seems like wasted cap money to me.  Thats fine when there is cap space but there isn't.  This team always seems to rather have 5 bottom end cheap guys than 1 guy who is good to great at his position.  I know there needs to be camp bodies and backups or whatever but that should be a min contract guy.

how many times must we do this?

UP TO.  UP TO. UP TO.   We don’t know what his base salary is

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1