And we're on to.. Aiyuk?

JMM

39 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

based on how “IMPOSSIBLE” it was to move Diggs according to Cover 1, that must mean we’re trading for Aiyuk

It's possible.  We trade for him look for us to go DE round one or trade back.

If I could get Aiyuk for a 2nd next year, I trade back from 28 into round 2 and pick up a 3rd.  

18 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'd even trade a 2025 second and a couple later pics to ensure the deal gets done, then you could still draft another receiver in the first or second round this year and the whole group would be extremely formidable. I'd even prefer to go best player available in the first round and then move up a good ways in the second round and get the receiver then. Landing Aiyuk would actually give us multiple options and not be forced into anything.

Maybe this is a draft day decision. If the board goes haywire, maybe they have a plan

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If I could get Aiyuk for a 2nd next year, I trade back from 28 into round 2 and pick up a 3rd.  

No.  If we were to get Aiyuk (we better keep 28!)  I still want BTJ / Legette / AD 

• Like (+1) 1

My favorite scenario thus far presented has been to use our 1st round pick on a receiver, then also use a mid round pick to trade for a veteran receiver -- think Chris Godwin or Deandre Hopkins.

Personally, I'd rather not go the "trade a 1st or 2nd for a veteran receiver that you immediately have to pay a bunch of money to" route again. I'd rather get a youngster that would be cheap labor for four seasons, could grow with Josh, and could spend a decade+ here. And then, if they want to bring in another impact receiver, I'm fine with it being a somewhat older guy that won't require a mega-extension.

On the one hand, yes, you have instant impact from a veteran that a rookie theoretically will not provide. But on the other hand, you have to pay said veteran around $30 million, and I'd just...rather not do that.

Give me a 1st round receiver and then trade a mid round pick for a trusty vet. That's the route I like.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He's not "pulling a Diggs".

how is he not? Using twitter/social media as weapon to publicly show displeasure for their team is exactly what he is doing and exactly what got diggs out of Minnesota and Buffalo.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:05 AM, TonyBeets said:

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

Aiyuk is most definitely a #1. He’s improved every single year statistically and just came off a 1300+ yard season on a stacked running team. He’s head & shoulders above Diggs at their stage of careers. I would not complain at all if BUF somehow got him and neither would 90% of posters here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

if we add Aiyuk, we need a bigger physical WR IMO

Why?  We just need guys to get open and catch the ball.  

That said,I would rather draft our own guy than trade for one.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

1 hour ago, Logic said:

My favorite scenario thus far presented has been to use our 1st round pick on a receiver, then also use a mid round pick to trade for a veteran receiver -- think Chris Godwin or Deandre Hopkins.

Personally, I'd rather not go the "trade a 1st or 2nd for a veteran receiver that you immediately have to pay a bunch of money to" route again. I'd rather get a youngster that would be cheap labor for four seasons, could grow with Josh, and could spend a decade+ here. And then, if they want to bring in another impact receiver, I'm fine with it being a somewhat older guy that won't require a mega-extension.

Give me a 1st round receiver and then trade a mid round pick for a trusty vet. That's the route I like.

For me, if they could do a C Godwin or Dhop, I wouldn't mind if they traded down into the 2nd and still got one of the McConkey/Legette/Franklin/Coleman level and some additional picks.

By the way - excellent addition of C Godwin into the mix, hadn't thought of that one.  Interesting.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I agree with others that said we dumped Diggs to get out of cap hell, so why would the Bills just do this again 🤷‍♂️

Right,  he is a good receiver but he is no superstar. Not interested in these monster cap hit receivers,  just trade up and draft one of the top guys in this draft.  Aiyuk wants 100 million plus

49ers are only trying tp trade him because they know this draft is loaded with receivers and better get a dude on a rookie deal then have to pay one 25 mllion a season. It will cost us draft capital and huge salary cap space.  

Just for the record,  the Bills could have drafted Jefferson with there pick they traded to the Viking for Diggs.  Diggs never produced in big playoff games

Unless your getting a superstar then no

As he heads into the fifth and final season of his rookie contract, Aiyuk has made no secret that he wants a long-term contract extension that would put him among the NFL’s highest-paid wide receivers. 

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Aiyuk is most definitely a #1. He’s improved every single year statistically and just came off a 1300+ yard season on a stacked running team. He’s head & shoulders above Diggs at their stage of careers. I would not complain at all if BUF somehow got him and neither would 90% of posters here. 

Impossible that you know that 90% agree with getting this guy,  As he heads into the fifth and final season of his rookie contrac (14mllion this season)t, Aiyuk has made no secret that he wants a long-term contract extension that would put him among the NFL’s highest-paid wide receivers.

Time to get a stud receiver with both size/great speed and on a rookie contract. 

3 hours ago, nbbillsfan said:

how is he not? Using twitter/social media as weapon to publicly show displeasure for their team is exactly what he is doing and exactly what got diggs out of Minnesota and Buffalo.

There are a lot of reasons why an athlete would delete their social media or limit it or unfollow this or that.  

It's an inference that the message is "publicly show displeasure for their team"

Diggs did more than 'unfollow'.

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

For me, if they could do a C Godwin or Dhop, I wouldn't mind if they traded down into the 2nd and still got one of the McConkey/Legette/Franklin/Coleman level and some additional picks.

By the way - excellent addition of C Godwin into the mix, hadn't thought of that one.  Interesting.  

I first saw the notion of Godwin being moved mentioned recently. Makes sense, now that they've paid Evans a big pile of money. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-trade-rumors-zach-wilson-chris-godwin-among-players-who-could-still-be-moved-before-or-during-draft/

Granted, with a $20million+ cap number himself this year, the deal might need to be done post June 1st, and Beane would have to be ready with an extension/restructure of some sort. That said, it's hard to imagine Godwin commanding the same type of money as Aiyuk or Higgins going forward.

From a Bills cap perspective, I'm not sure how feasible it is. From a pure football standpoint, he'd be a quality addition, and likely wouldn't command nearly the capital or money that Aiyuk/Higgins would.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think that’s what the move would be. Aiyuk for a 2nd and then trade back #28 to the 2nd round and draft McConkey. 

• Agree 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:15 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

From what I know about Aiyuk is he's a yac guy and we need more of that.

Allen has never really produced with a big YAC guy. Is that because of the Bills offensive scheme with almost no effective WR screens, very few slant routes and I can’t remember I have ever seen shallow drag routes thrown under LB coverage.

i wouldn’t want to pay Aiyuk big money and then not take advantage of one of his best attributes.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I first saw the notion of Godwin being moved mentioned recently. Makes sense, now that they've paid Evans a big pile of money. 

From a Bills cap perspective, I'm not sure how feasible it is. From a pure football standpoint, he'd be a quality addition, and likely wouldn't command nearly the capital or money that Aiyuk/Higgins would.

The advantage of trading for a vet in this situation is you can adjust salary/cap in a variety of ways.  The player is generally agreeable because they get more money this year as apposed to playing on their old salary. 

I like the idea of a veteran WR that, on paper should be as good (or better) than Diggs last year.  Plus getting one of the second tier of WRs that could be considered the equal of G Davis right out of the gate, their rookie year (with the potential to be much more).

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:05 AM, TonyBeets said:

We need a 1, not a 2.  Slim pickings I know, I'd rather take our chances drafting one.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:29 AM, Kaenon said:

Aiyuk is a beast and is a #1.

One of you doesn't know squat about football.

6 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

Allen has never really produced with a big YAC guy. Is that because of the Bills offensive scheme with almost no effective WR screens, very few slant routes and I can’t remember I have ever seen shallow drag routes thrown under LB coverage.

i wouldn’t want to pay Aiyuk big money and then not take advantage of one of his best attributes.

True that YAC hasn't been a big part of Buffalo's offense since E-P was installed by Daboll and run by Allen. BUT, if we zoom in on Brady's offense since taking over last season, and especially down the stretch, I think we see an increase in screens and NOW routes to the boundary, and almost definitely an increase in YAC as a % of overall passing yards. 

(I like posting analyses/claims based solely on my recollections of the past season, without doing any research first. Not because I'm lazy (I am lazy, of course), but because I like seeing if my contemporaneous observations (half the games observed live--which means mostly cut-off from replay and informed commentary) hold up under scrutiny. You know: growth mindset, process-based humiliation.)

• Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-trade-rumors-zach-wilson-chris-godwin-among-players-who-could-still-be-moved-before-or-during-draft/

Granted, with a $20million+ cap number himself this year, the deal might need to be done post June 1st, and Beane would have to be ready with an extension/restructure of some sort. That said, it's hard to imagine Godwin commanding the same type of money as Aiyuk or Higgins going forward.

Just took a look at Godwin’s contract on spotrac.  Tampa has $500k in cap space and would have to eat an additional $6m in dead cap if they traded or cut Godwin. Plus he’s due to earn $20m this year.  I’d much rather trade for Aiyuk who’s also the younger better player at this point of their careers. 

Aiyuk for a swap of this years first rounders plus next years first rounder.  Trade back from 31 for a 3rd rounder and take one of the centers from oregon or west virginia with our 1st pick.  Then go safety, WR with our 2nd and 3rd rounders.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

Bills would need to totally miss in the draft to consider this  … and if the Bucs want to move on from him they may as well get a pick in this years draft IMO.. which the Bills can’t really accomodate to pick him up now and get his $20 mil salary on the books ,,,

looks like the Bucs got a lot of dead money to eat up so likely a Diggs like situation for them ..which doesn’t make a lot of sense for a guy that seems happy enough to be there ..

Like others said, "if" this trade would happen, it would occur post June 1st.

Let's see what we do in the draft at WR, that should be telling.

My opinion is sit tight at 28 and see who is there.  Going to be a lot of good WRs to pick from.  We could go alot of different directions in Rd2, that will be a polarizing pick (position) among fans for certain.

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Bills would need to totally miss in the draft to consider this  … and if the Bucs want to move on from him they may as well get a pick in this years draft IMO.. which the Bills can’t really accomodate to pick him up now and get his $20 mil salary on the books ,,,

looks like the Bucs got a lot of dead money to eat up so likely a Diggs like situation for them ..which doesn’t make a lot of sense for a guy that seems happy enough to be there ..

The dead money is a timing issue, it will go against Tampa at some time.  Tampa has a hard decision coming up with C Godwin.  Since Tampa just paid M Evans it probably is not in their plans to pay Godwin.  Moving Godwin now they could get something for him.

Getting Godwin is not a miss, it is a distinct strategy on how to replace the Diggs hole.  It is an alternative to spending huge draft capital to get into the top 10 for one of the big 3 (which is still risky to hope they replace Diggs production in their rookie season)..  It is an alternative to the give big draft capital and pay big amounts to the Aiyuk/Jefferson scenarios.  Many, including myself, were hoping the original use of the draft was to replace G Davis.

20 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The dead money is a timing issue, it will go against Tampa at some time.  Tampa has a hard decision coming up with C Godwin.  Since Tampa just paid M Evans it probably is not in their plans to pay Godwin.  Moving Godwin now they could get something for him.

Getting Godwin is not a miss, it is a distinct strategy on how to replace the Diggs hole.  It is an alternative to spending huge draft capital to get into the top 10 for one of the big 3 (which is still risky to hope they replace Diggs production in their rookie season)..  It is an alternative to the give big draft capital and pay big amounts to the Aiyuk/Jefferson scenarios.  Many, including myself, were hoping the original use of the draft was to replace G Davis.

The dead money angle is a reasonable take  … but what do you expect to pay as draft compensation and to re-sign him ? they won’t give him away … and he won’t  be cheap for the Bills to re- sign …

Bucs can also could get a 3rd/4th comp pick for him …. 

The 49ers aren’t trading him to a SB threat. 

The Bengals are not trading Higgins to an AFC threat absolutely no way.  

Even if we had multiple firsts to give they wouldn’t do it.  

I just don’t understand why we entertain ideas like this. 

6 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'd even trade a 2025 second and a couple later pics to ensure the deal gets done, then you could still draft another receiver in the first or second round this year and the whole group would be extremely formidable. I'd even prefer to go best player available in the first round and then move up a good ways in the second round and get the receiver then. Landing Aiyuk would actually give us multiple options and not be forced into anything.

You think we’re going to trade for Aiyuk AND draft a WR with our first or second pick?  I want to add playmakers a much as my one, but I think that would be a poor locations of resources.  Going from not enough emphasis on playmakers over the years too the opposite in one offseason.

if we’re going to be trading our higher future picks for a WR while also paying him huge bucks, we best use some picks on DL, S or even OL.  

If kpthe plan is to make sure we outscore every team with no resistance on D, I don’t think we’ll have any chance of winning a SB

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

There are a lot of reasons why an athlete would delete their social media or limit it or unfollow this or that.  

It's an inference that the message is "publicly show displeasure for their team"

Diggs did more than 'unfollow'.

I guess you haven’t been paying attention - the unfollow was not the first time Ayuik used social media express displeasure  with the 49ers.

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You think we’re going to trade for Aiyuk AND draft a WR with our first or second pick?  I want to add playmakers a much as my one, but I think that would be a poor locations of resources.  Going from not enough emphasis on playmakers over the years too the opposite in one offseason.

if we’re going to be trading our higher future picks for a WR while also paying him huge bucks, we best use some picks on DL, S or even OL.  

If kpthe plan is to make sure we outscore every team with no resistance on D, I don’t think we’ll have any chance of winning a SB

We'd have one on the big contract and one on cost controlled. Totally doable and most of the other picks could be used towards defense. 

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The dead money angle is a reasonable take  … but what do you expect to pay as draft compensation and to re-sign him ? they won’t give him away … and he won’t  be cheap for the Bills to re- sign …

Bucs can also could get a 3rd/4th comp pick for him …. 

The Bucs might get a comp pick for Godwin in 2026 if they meet the vague, confusing guidelines.  Small consideration.

I am not sure what it would take but what I am confident in is that it would be considerably less than the draft capital and money for Aiyuk.  Aiyuk is making waves, Diggs style, to get money.  And SF is reluctantly investigating.  On the other hand, Godwin is already under contract and Tampa would be considering moving him to due Godwin not being in their future plans.

I like the idea of trading for a vet on a contract to a short term deal.  That is less risky way to replace Diggs.  I thought a 4th for DHop and his reasonable salary might be a good option.  Seems like Godwin would require more, maybe the 2nd next year that we got for Diggs.

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Bucs might get a comp pick for Godwin in 2026 if they meet the vague, confusing guidelines.  Small consideration.

I am not sure what it would take but what I am confident in is that it would be considerably less than the draft capital and money for Aiyuk.  Aiyuk is making waves, Diggs style, to get money.  And SF is reluctantly investigating.  On the other hand, Godwin is already under contract and Tampa would be considering moving him to due Godwin not being in their future plans.

I like the idea of trading for a vet on a contract to a short term deal.  That is less risky way to replace Diggs.  I thought a 4th for DHop and his reasonable salary might be a good option.  Seems like Godwin would require more, maybe the 2nd next year that we got for Diggs.

I would even suggest like  a 3rd plus like a sixth might get it done …  

But then you gotta still pay him $20m plus a year ..based on what Ridley just got paid ..

If the Bucs are happy to wait until after the draft so we can accomodate him on a post June deal… ok …  I think they might prefer picks in this years draft though..

• Agree 1

We need to build through the draft rookies are cheap for 4-5 years grabbing proven players hurts our ability to pay our guys when they develop. Guys want to play here on cheaper deals than in the past but not like rookies pay grade. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The 49ers aren’t trading him to a SB threat. 

The Bengals are not trading Higgins to an AFC threat absolutely no way.  

Even if we had multiple firsts to give they wouldn’t do it.  

I just don’t understand why we entertain ideas like this. 

Maybe because we just traded our #1 to an AFC threat that's also a SB threat. I'm it happens. Not that I think it will. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Brandon Aiyuk, 6'' 200lbs. Drafted by SF in the 1st round #22 overall. Four-year player 26 years old.

2023 stats, 105 targets, 75 catches for 1342 yards, 7 TDs, success % 70.5. The catch percentage is 71.4%. 12.8 yards per target. The #7 rated WR in the NFL last season. Diggs was 13th. Gabe Davis was 49th. 

Aiyuk is a clear #1 WR, no question. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Brandon Aiyuk, 6'' 200lbs. Drafted by SF in the 1st round #22 overall. Four-year player 26 years old.

2023 stats, 105 targets, 75 catches for 1342 yards, 7 TDs, success % 70.5. The catch percentage is 71.4%. 12.8 yards per target. The #7 rated WR in the NFL last season. Diggs was 13th. Gabe Davis was 49th. 

Aiyuk is a clear #1 WR, no question. 

You know...there is a way this can be spun right?  Aiyuk was drafted at 22 and many now want to trade for him and say he is a #1.

So... why can't Beane draft a #1 at 28?  😁

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

We'd have one on the big contract and one on cost controlled. Totally doable and most of the other picks could be used towards defense. 

what l

And then we have picks + 25M aav  Aiyuk, 8-10M to Knox, an invested 1st rd pick on Kincaid, 2nd rd pick on Cook, 8m on samuel.  All so we can make shakir our WR4/ target #5/6?.  I don’t buy it.  

if we trade for Aiyuk, my money is on us not taking a WR with our 1st rd pick.  We still have to stop people occasionally.  

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You know...there is a way this can be spun right?  Aiyuk was drafted at 22 and many now want to trade for him and say he is a #1.

So... why can't Beane draft a #1 at 28?  😁

Counterpoint is that it took Aiyuk 3 years to become that dude.  We can’t afford to waste 2-3 years of prime Josh waiting on somebody to develop into WR 1.  Plus Aiyuk thrived in a ball control, RB utilized offense where he still put up big numbers without a huge number of targets.  

• Like (+1) 1