Diggs traded to Texans for picks

38 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe (maybe hope is a better word) that this is a classic case of taking one step back to more easily take two steps forward.  If ever there was a WR draft that made this decision easier this year is it.

Yes on paper they are not as good.  Without any of the drama, he no longer threatens a defense deep.  He is paid as a top 5 wr.  That he is no longer.  His targets were going to go down this year.  Now how would Diggs respond to a drop in his targets for the betterment of the team?  Its alot of small things that adds up to doing it now.  Bring in some younger guys and a rookie or 2 and I think the offense can be as good or better than last year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

He did get a ton of targets, though. Maybe he didn't like the play designs. Or maybe he was in denial that his skills were sharply declining across the board. You have to be wise to accept that and not blame others. Diggs is anything but wise. 

I, for one, will not miss WR screens to Diggs where he stutter steps backwards for no reason and gains 3 yards. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I, for one, will not miss WR screens to Diggs where he stutter steps backwards for no reason and gains 3 yards. 

I didn't understand those play calls either.  They felt like they were designed for someone else.  You should not throw a WR screen to a WR who doesn't like taking hits.  

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I didn't understand those play calls either.  They felt like they were designed for someone else.  You should not throw a WR screen to a WR who doesn't like taking hits.  

They were clearly “we can’t get Diggs the ball enough traditionally so let’s manufacture touches so he doesn’t get mad” play calls. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 2

Everyone wonder what happened to Diggs the 2nd half of the season?  He shut it down when we hit 5-5, he wasn't going to go all out for a possibly non playoff team.

Brady also made it a team thing, vs. Appeasing a single WR.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

Do we have anymore updates on Bills wishing him well?

I know Dawkins has.  Former Bill, Cole Beasley has.  

I do see Hamlin as, maybe, the only current Bill commenting on Diggs farewell IG post (in contrast to many of them commenting on Gabe’s)

Anyone else..

Thought maybe we’d see something from Gabe now being AFC South rivals. 

Seems like crickets.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

I enjoyed Diggs' time here but am glad he's gone.  It's been a while in coming.  Thanks for posting, this story doesn't surprise me.

I think Diggs wants to win and probably realizes his career is getting closer to winding down.  I think he took it on himself to challenge Josh on his bad habits and probably got tired of it against Cinci and perhaps also sick of McD.  Last season everyone, especially Josh,  got sick of Diggs' approach.  I definitely felt Josh was ignoring Diggs on the field when his stats were tanking. 

I love Josh but let's be real, he's very stubborn as a QB.  Doesn't always go through all his reads preferring to force the ball and God help him he throws the wide open check-down.  Obviously he's proven capable in certain games during Dorsey's time when they tried to force him to be more of a pocket QB.  But he chooses not to see the entire field regularly.

What worries me the most from this story and situation is maybe no one's holding Josh accountable anymore, not even Josh himself.  That may be the biggest window closure to the Super Bowl.

You know, there are ways to exorcise your spleen, and there are ways to hold a guy accountable in a meaningful and effective way.

When a guy is really down on himself at the end of the game, if you say something to him that leads to the response "it's only one ***** game!" and a wave-off, I think it's a safe bet you're doing the former - taking a shot, to vent your own spleen.   

Effectively holding a guy accountable does not look like that.

No one in that locker room, including Josh, including the stream of players Graham reports as coming up to give Josh encouragement, thought Josh played a good enough game.  He also targeted Diggs 13 times for 103 yds, and one of his interceptions was on a target to Diggs (4 on the year targeting Diggs, 6 targeting Davis).  And we still took the game to overtime, where if we hadn't given up a punt return TD maybe we could have won it.

Edited by Beck Water

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If he even catches it. Feels like there was a 50% completion percentage on those plays.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oh, Jeesh.  Made me look, and I wish I hadn't.  Nothing against Beasley welcoming Diggs to Texas or praising him as a hard workin 'Dog' 

Dawkins "Till next time" but that look in the 4th picture he chose!!!!! 

Do we ultimately know whether it was Diggs or the Texans that pushed the restructure of his deal so that he’s a FA after this season?  Reason I ask is there’s a lot of speculation that Diggs is gone b/c of his relationship with Josh, his potential decline in skills, etc.  But did the move primarily come down to what Diggs wants from a contract perspective versus what the Bills thought was appropriate?  For instance, the Texans must have known this tidbit when they traded for him, and been willing to give up a future 2nd round pick for a 1-year rental, right?

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Do we ultimately know whether it was Diggs or the Texans that pushed the restructure of his deal so that he’s a FA after this season?  Reason I ask is there’s a lot of speculation that Diggs is gone b/c of his relationship with Josh, his potential decline in skills, etc.  But did the move primarily come down to what Diggs wants from a contract perspective versus what the Bills thought was appropriate?  For instance, the Texans must have known this tidbit when they traded for him, and been willing to give up a future 2nd round pick for a 1-year rental, right?

I don't think they were, which is hilarious.  Either way, this trade looks a lot better now

I'm surprised we got more than a 4th given it's a 1 year rental and he probably signs with Dallas 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Vomit 1

It is tough/impossible to call the Bills the 'winner' here.

It seems like Diggs might have had them backed into a corner though, and they had little choice. It seems he started pouting somewhere towards the end of the 2022 season. The Bills figured they could make everything better through the offseason, and last season, but it seems to have never worked out. This year, he would have probably been a distraction and/or not given full effort, and probably let the Bills know that.

Its a net-negative for the Bills though. It is a drought-era WR room right now. They had to eat feces on a $31 cap hit. Along with all the other departures of team captains and pro-bowlers, this is really going to test the sustainability of the "process" here as well as Josh Allen's ability, commitment, and leadership. It kind of sails outside of the Bills being a powerhouse, and more into the seas of the unknown (and there is a hurricane Terry looming somewhere out there)

I think Beane has done a lot of great things here. However, the combination of the Diggs extension, Von Miller signing, and Knox extension have really hurt.

The good news is, 2025 looks to promise a ton of cap space. If they can land 3-4 decent regular contributors in this draft class out of 10 picks (and UDFA), and hit on 2-3 more next year, and make some good signings, they could be right back as a Superbowl front-runner with Allen and the younger pieces.  That would indicate they are more of the ilk of Baltimore, Phily, SF, LA Rams, as opposed to another flash in the moment-in-the-sun recent franchise successes like Carolina, Atlanta, or 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't think they were, which is hilarious.  Either way, this trade looks a lot better now

I'm surprised we got more than a 4th given it's a 1 year rental and he probably signs with Dallas 

It doesn't look a lot better. This WR group is a lot worse now.  I hope Diggs not only excels in Houston but they go to the Super Bowl.  It's only cause of fans like you and others that always turn on a guy as soon as he leaves town. 

51 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I do see Hamlin as, maybe, the only current Bill commenting on Diggs farewell IG post (in contrast to many of them commenting on Gabe’s)

Anyone else..

Thought maybe we’d see something from Gabe now being AFC South rivals. 

Seems like crickets.  

The silence speaks volumes.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Maybe Diggs benefits from teams scared of Josh Allen? A lot of 2 deep vs Josh. A lot of LB’s spying Josh.

Diggs gets the best CB but teams rarely play man anymore. Especially vs Josh Allen. 

I don't think this was correct last season.  It was correct in 2020 and 2021.  I think the Bills saw a lot of man coverage, and a lot of hybrid coverage (1 side man, 1 side zone)

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It doesn't look a lot better. This WR group is a lot worse now.  I hope Diggs not only excels in Houston but they go to the Super Bowl.  It's only cause of fans like you and others that always turn on a guy as soon as he leaves town. 

What are you doing on this board if you’re a Houston fan? And before you say you’re not, you just wrote that you hope they go to the Super Bowl (and not the Bills).  

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

What are you doing on this board if you’re a Houston fan? And before you say you’re not, you just wrote that you hope they go to the Super Bowl (and not the Bills).  

I'm not a Houston fan at all. I'm just tired of every time a guy leaves the fanbase turns on them and calls the team the go to crap. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Samuel and Davis are very different players.  Davis was trying to be that Boundary Guy and he really didn't get it done when asked to be that clever route runner over the middle.  Samuel had his best year, with Joe Brady, playing something like 70+% of his snaps from the slot.  I think a more realistic hope is that he'll be the Beasley replacement Crowder and McKenzie were supposed to be.

I really like how Shakir came on last year and how Kincaid looked as a rookie - so smooth!  But I think it's a long stretch to think Kincaid can replace Diggs.

But with all respect, here's the thing: I think this "Jenga Game" with WR where the Bills (not just you) look at WR and argue something like "Davis sure looked All World in the playoffs against the Colts in 2020 and against KC in 2021.  And McKenzie has been stuck behind Beasley on the depth chart, but he seized his opportunity and showed what he could do against NWE and earlier against the Dolphins.   So we don't need to "splash" in FA or in the draft this year.

We project from what guys can do in an occasional game or while the D is focused on someone else.  The Bills seem to do this, too.

It doesn't necessarily work that way, though.

Not saying these guys are 1 to 1 replacements but I think they can replace the production those guys offered. I truly think Brady wants to get away from that 1a type receiver that we force the ball to and gets 160 targets. I could very well see the hall spread all over with maybe no one getting 1000 yards but 3-4 guys all getting around 50-70 catches for 900 yards. 

I think people are getting caught up to much on what positioning these guys play (inside/outside) Samuel, Kincaid, and Shakir can line up anywhere. Cook can split out wide and Knox is pretty versatile too. For red zone your have Knox, Kincaid and Hollins who are all big targets. 

I think what got us into trouble in the first half of last year was trying to force it to diggs. In the second half when diggs really didn’t look like a number 1 and they were spreading the ball around diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir all had similar numbers 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, khlax3 said:

Not saying these guys are 1 to 1 replacements but I think they can replace the production those guys offered. I truly think Brady wants to get away from that 1a type receiver that we force the ball to and gets 160 targets. I could very well see the hall spread all over with maybe no one getting 1000 yards but 3-4 guys all getting around 50-70 catches for 900 yards. 

I think people are getting caught up to much on what positioning these guys play (inside/outside) Samuel, Kincaid, and Shakir can line up anywhere. Cook can split out wide and Knox is pretty versatile too. For red zone your have Knox, Kincaid and Hollins who are all big targets. 

I think what got us into trouble in the first half of last year was trying to force it to diggs. In the second half when diggs really didn’t look like a number 1 and they were spreading the ball around diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir all had similar numbers 

I tend to agree. Spread the ball around and look at a control game utilizing the run as well.

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So some pundits are already re-evaluating after Houston re-tooled the contract

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/4/5/24121898/stefon-diggs-trade-houston-texans-cj-stroud-buffalo-bills

Again, the motivation for acquiring Diggs is obvious. But what’s not so clear is why the Texans gave up a future second-round pick for him and agreed to void the final three years of his contract. Those are the first of several questions about what looked like a reasonable trade for both sides on Wednesday, but now seems to be more of a puzzling move for the Texans.

The Texans essentially moved down 19 spots, from no. 23 to no. 42, to acquire Diggs [edit: this is talking about the Texans trade with the Vikes in which they sent their 1st round #23 pick to Minn for Minn's #42 2nd round pick this season, and their 2025 2nd rounder which they then traded to B'lo for Diggs] , who had four years remaining on the extension he signed with Buffalo two years ago. Initially, it seemed like a home run trade for Houston because Diggs’s contract with Buffalo was both affordable and team friendly. His scheduled cap hit of $19.05 million in 2024 would have ranked 13th among receivers, and there was no guaranteed money left after this year, meaning the Texans would have had the option to keep Diggs or move on after seeing how things worked out in the upcoming season.

But it turns out that the contract isn’t team friendly at all. It’s the opposite, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on Thursday:

The article goes on to analyze Digg's usage and results  during the 2023 Bills season - recommend giving it a read.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I'm not a Houston fan at all. I'm just tired of every time a guy leaves the fanbase turns on them and calls the team the go to crap. 

Poyer - 99% of us LOVE

Gabe - Fans will give him a standing ovation next time we see him 

Morse - (See above for Gabe)

Tre - People in the stands will probably cry next time they see him in person if the team recognizes him, which they will

Singletary - Fans were all rooting for this year

Edmunds and Diggs are the two that we’ve dumped on.. One because he just wasn’t worth his contract projection, but no real ill will from fans.

The fan reaction to Diggs is different for a reason .. and plenty are still wishing him well. 

And yea.. we all hope Houston somehow becomes a train wreck, why on earth would we not?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

First of all, no one is calling Houston "crap".  Everyone here recognizes they've got an excellent-looking young QB and are a team on the rise.  They could be the 2020 Bills.

Second, "every time a guy leaves"?  Nonsense.  We wished Jerry Hughes and Singletary well, going to the Texans.  Wished Moss well with the Colts.  McKenzie got dunked on, but then he got dunked on while he was here, no one dunked on the Colts.  Edmunds - mixed reactions mostly "not worth that contract" followed by "but who we got at MLB?" Hodgins - rampant and disproportionate nostalgia.  Beasley - gratitude for what he'd done for the team and Josh, mixed reactions between people who thought he'd been "done wrong" for his personal views and people who thought he was "done" and it was time.   Tre' White - tears.  Gabe Davis and Mitch Morse - total respect.

And don't get me started on Wyatt Teller.

You're either not being truthful to us, or not truthful to yourself.

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Poyer - 99% of us LOVE

Tre - People in the stands will probably cry next time they see him in person if the team recognizes him, which they will

Edmunds and Diggs are the two that we’ve dumped on.. One because he just wasn’t worth his contract projection, but no real ill will from fans.

The fan reaction to Diggs is different for a reason .. and plenty are still wishing him well. 

And yea.. we all hope Houston somehow becomes a train wreck, why on earth would we not?

Agree, 

The grass was always greener on the other side for Diggs,

go graze in Texas with your bro... 

16 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Not saying these guys are 1 to 1 replacements but I think they can replace the production those guys offered. I truly think Brady wants to get away from that 1a type receiver that we force the ball to and gets 160 targets. I could very well see the hall spread all over with maybe no one getting 1000 yards but 3-4 guys all getting around 50-70 catches for 900 yards

With all respect, that's not enough.  4 guys getting 900 yds is 3,600 yds.  That would represent a 700 yd dip in what was already a second "down year" for Allen with only 4300 yds passing.

It would also be asking a 7 year vet to exceed his previous career year (possible), asking Shakir AND Kincaid to jump 50% in their production, AND asking a 3rd guy to step into the mix and push 1000 yds.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

With all respect, that's not enough.  4 guys getting 900 yds is 3,600 yds.  That would represent a 700 yd dip in what was already a second "down year" for Allen with only 4300 yds passing.

It would also be asking a 7 year vet to exceed his previous career year (possible), asking Shakir AND Kincaid to jump 50% in their production, AND asking a 3rd guy to step into the mix and push 1000 yds.

A huge jump in production from Shakir is not unreasonable. He had excellent metrics in 2022. All he needs is an increase in targets. When you look at the 2023 receiving stats, he really jumps off the page as a guy that deserves more targets. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/receiving.htm

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I'm expecting even more of a turn towards the run game. 

Both Brady and McD like to run the football IMO. 

The same can be said about Josh...

23 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Of course these guys can line up at all positions.  The key point is what impact they have from that position on field.

Right now, we have nobody that is a downfield threat.  It'd be nice to have 1 legit and another reliable option.

I'm fine with spreading targets and agree that's what Brady seems to want to have happen. 

But I truly hope Brady doesn't turn this offense into a dink/dunk team.  JMO, but I don't think Josh is accurate OR consistent enough to be a Brady/Brees type.  Too many turnovers/inconsistency. 

We need some more of Dabolls downfield passing scheme integrated, to be more balanced.  We need more "homeruns" in this offense, or at least be more explosive.  Redzone conversion rate has been inconsistent at best, past 2 years.  We lack identity as of now...I hope Beane can find 2 legit threats in this loaded WR class.

• Like (+1) 1

Wishful thinking that he will produce as a elite #1 again is folly.  Things often gets worse before they get better, and this is the start.

Let get:

Younger

Faster 

A Roster full of Guys who WANT to be Here

Thanks Stephon, best of luck in the future

Edited by 8BallSippin
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Poyer - 99% of us LOVE

Diggs literally did nothing wrong in his time here

Voted captain etc

The media drummed up everything... And turned little molehills in the mountains over the last 2 years

He has never said anything bad about the Bills or the organization or Buffalo.. and he should be getting a standing ovation on the way out

Because he's the best wide receiver here in 30 years and he was great for Josh Allen's development

• Thank you (+1) 1

@Herc11 just posted a snippet of this above, but for those that haven't listened, you really should (at least to the part that Herc linked to above).

It tells a previously untold anecdote about Diggs coming up to Josh after the week 1 Jets game, when his spirits were really low, and saying something quietly to him (the reporters couldn't hear what) that made Josh flip out on him and shout "IT'S ONLY ONE ***** GAME!". Graham says everyone else was consoling Allen, dapping him up, encouraging him, and along came Diggs, saying something that pissed him right off.

Just interesting, and as far as I know, previously unreported up until now.

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That assumes that only 4 people catch footballs. in 2023 13 different players caught footballs for the Bills. 9 of them had double digit receptions. 9 players could make up 700 yards. 

The top 4 WR for the Bills last year had 3200 yards combined. 400 yards less than your "not good enough" prognostication for 2024. The bottom 9 of 13 players who caught footballs in 2023 contributed nearly 1100 yards. 

So if the Bills get similar production from the bottom of the roster, @khlax3 scenario actually mean it would be an improvement from 2023. 

You are also way overplaying the difference between a 4300 and 4500 yard season. There is certainly a discussion to be had about why one season is better or worse than another for Josh, but the 200 yard difference in passing is way down the list of things worth mentioning. 

There is room to color outside the lines on what OP is saying without taking it so literally. The Bills passing game will likely have more equitable distribution in 2024 and that may very well be a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

@Herc11 just posted a snippet of this above, but for those that haven't listened, you really should (at least to the part that Herc linked to above).

It tells a previously untold anecdote about Diggs coming up to Josh after the week 1 Jets game, when his spirits were really low, and saying something quietly to him (the reporters couldn't hear what) that made Josh flip out on him and shout "IT'S ONLY ONE ***** GAME!". Graham says everyone else was consoling Allen, dapping him up, encouraging him, and along came Diggs, saying something that pissed him right off.

Just interesting, and as far as I know, previously unreported up until now.

it is sad that our media are so small and tiny like this they don't report the stories like they should.

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

it is sad that our media are so small and tiny like this they don't report the stories like they should.

Graham claims he didn't report it at the time because he couldn't hear what Diggs actually said, and that for all he knew it could have been a compliment/praise that hit Allen the wrong way (though unlikely). 

He says he wishes, in retrospect, that he had reported that incident at the time. To be honest, though, what good would it have done the Bills? I'm kind of glad he didn't.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, finn said:

Or, in his case, the dropping game. 

By my count Cook dropped 4 easy TD catches and on only one of the drives that he dropped a TD pass did we go on a score a TD.  So yes those drops did hurt us.  But Cook also made some big plays in the passing game. My expectation is that he will work on the drops reducing them.  At the same time as he gains more confidence in a pro passing attack his big plays will balloon in number.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Graham claims he didn't report it at the time because he couldn't hear what Diggs actually said, and that for all he knew it could have been a compliment/praise that hit Allen the wrong way (though unlikely). 

He says he wishes, in retrospect, that he had reported that incident at the time. To be honest, though, what good would it have done the Bills? I'm kind of glad he didn't.

Graham has claimed a lot of things over the years, just like other "journalists" such as Johnny Wawrow, Jerry Sullivan, Bucky Gleason, etc.   

Who knows what actually happened