Diggs traded to Texans for picks

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What are you talking about? The Bills will have a cap charge of $30M this year and no player on the roster to show for it. How much more dead do you want that to be???

Yesterday the Bills had 7.5M in cap space. Today they have about 4M.  What is the opportunity cost of that 3-4M?

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Go up and get Harrison. Just deal with what it costs. We are trying to win a Super Bowl. Our picks better not be high anyway.

What would it take? Maybe our first and second this year, as well as our first and both seconds next year. That's one impact player instead of, potentially, five. 

No, better to trade up to the middle of the first round to take one of the top four WRs. Even that will take three high picks. 

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

plus I do the mom joke way too much.

…not saying I’ll stop, but that I do it too much.

😁

As my therapist says - you gotta do you!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Diggs running into coverage isn't always double teaming....

Nah, having a safety just shaded over or a backer shaded over makes a pretty significant difference.  Teams don't double Kelce and others, they layer coverage. Don't think Diggs is wrong here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Yesterday the Bills had 7.5M in cap space. Today they have about 4M.  What is the opportunity cost of that 3-4M?

There goes Simmons as our safety....

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Look at the numbers. They don't lie 

The dude is donezo, despite your caterwauling.

Donezo just happens in 7 days?? Does that sound sensical to you or do

you think its more likely something changed?. (Double teams, Quitting, injury, running the ball more, oc change etc). 

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think the Texans took on $19M of which $18.5 is fully guaranteed because "every other GM" thought he was a cancer

On the other hand, a guy who is turning 31 and is due $19M ($18.5M guaranteed) this season and $18M and $19M the next two seasons, has limited trade value.

I was referring to his trade value, which was minuscule, it turns out. 

Most who might be looking for a top WR FA figured he was expensive/cancer/washed up/not worth a high pick this year

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Wait what did he say? Love that dude

Its a quick watch. < 2 mins. 

Basically said it is a loss for the Bills but not a huge one given he faded away for 2 seasons in a row. Allen always having to answer "are you good with Stefon?" etc

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, boater said:

Diggs publicly throwing Allen under the bus surely made Beane's job harder than it should have been.

What are you referring to? I missed a few news cycles. 

6 hours ago, Cash said:

Oof.  In a vaccuum, I'm okay with trading Diggs, but I was hoping for a better haul than this.  A second rounder a full year away, plus we're throwing in late picks?  Yikes.  Maybe Diggs really is cooked at this point if the Bills are willing to sell for that price.  Because now you're not just replacing Davis in the draft, you're replacing Diggs as well.

We'd better not sell off next year's #1 to move up for a WR.  This could be a down year (so could any year, if Allen gets hurt) and our 2025 #1 could be in the teens instead of the twenties.

Davis was already replaced. His name is Kahlil Shakir. He clearly became WR2 by late season. 
Thanks for SOME  magic moments, Stefon.

• Disagree 1

Just now, eme123 said:

Donezo just happens in 7 days?? Does that sound sensical to you or do

you think its more likely something changed?. (Double teams, Quitting, injury, running the ball more, oc change etc). 

Look at his catch percentage and depth of target. Marino has some great numbers on this. He was receiver three from week 7 to 28 and did ***** all in the postseason including a critical drop.

Yeah, sometimes guys hit the wall quick 

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You sound like the sort of Sabres fan who actually thought trading Eichel and Reinhart was a good idea, or that they were somehow part of any problem with the team.

A pox on your family for a thousand generations!

With or without Eichel, the Sabres stunk/stink on ice.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, boater said:

Diggs publicly throwing Allen under the bus surely made Beane's job harder than it should have been.

Just caught yesterday’s tweet. It is absolutely right that Diggs has never criticised the Bills or the Mafia. But he really seemed to have it in for Josh, and it gets to a point where you can’t have WR1 working against the QB in public to that extent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Davis was already replaced. His name is Kahlil Shakir. He clearly became WR2 by late season. 
Thanks for SOME  magic moments, Stefon.

route trees are very different there. If anything, I think Justin Shorter gets first crack at replacing Davis if they stay in house

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Its a quick watch. < 2 mins. 

Basically said it is a loss for the Bills but not a huge one given he faded away for 2 seasons in a row. Allen always having to answer "are you good with Stefon?" etc

This is a great point.  It became excruciating for the ultimate good guy, Allen, having to explain Digg's behavior. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Look at his catch percentage and depth of target. Marino has some great numbers on this. He was receiver three from week 7 to 28 and did ***** all in the postseason including a critical drop.

Yeah, sometimes guys hit the wall quick 

Marino does point out great numbers on Diggs, Davis, Kincaid, and Shakir.  Pretty telling of why they traded Diggs and let Davis go in FA.  Plus I believe Diggs just wore people out to include Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

This is a great point.  It became excruciating for the ultimate good guy, Allen, having to explain Digg's behavior. 

HOMER!!!!! (I've been told that having a positive opinion of Josh Allen as a person makes me a jock-sniffing homer).

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am thinking that perhaps I'm going against the grain with my opinion. I have been very tough on McDermott but my initial reaction to this trade is positive but with a caveat.

If he dedicates the early picks to WRs and OTs, I think it was a good move. I don't think that Diggs is getting better, and a #2 is frankly a bit more than I expected. This draft appears to be loaded with receivers and OL, and now is the time to focus more on the offense and these positions specifically.

The caveat? If McDermott drafts safeties, corners and other defenders with the early picks we will be heading right back to the Levy/Jauron days and lose football games. I truly hope this doesn't happen but again, at this point I support the trade.

Jmo.

Before this trade I would have bet money that they would draft defense with their first round pick. But now, I have to think they have at least a few WRs in mind that they believe could be available at #28, and probably a couple they would be willing to trade up for. That being said, I don't think they're going to ignore the cheesecloth they have for a defense, and I would be surprised if they drafted an OL before day three, even with the departure of Morse..

37 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

About what? 

Who cares what Beane said.  Look at the talent Houston has and look at our talent, then ask yourself which is better.  

What Beane says has nothing to do with anything related to our brief discussion here.  

My point was, roster building is easier when all your money isn’t going to a franchise QB. 

We shall see, but I still take the Bills as a whole, and I respect what they are doing in Houston. The Diggs deal doesn’t move my needle much. I want to get younger, cheaper and on the proper trajectory. 

Diggs does dumb things that strain relationships. He undermines coaches and teammates. He needs the attention which is a trait that has only grown more as Josh's spotlight grew. He turns around and masquerades his bad behavior and poor choices as being misunderstood or competitive. He makes you the problem not his behavior. He is a headcase, eroding talent, and somebody who came up as a no show in the most competitive situations since he has been here. Everybody around him is now better because he is gone. You can't measure the impact of a bad apple. You can't just take the talent by itself. It's not how this works. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What are you talking about? The Bills will have a cap charge of $30M this year and no player on the roster to show for it. How much more dead do you want that to be???

It's the 6th highest dead cap hit ever in the NFL.  What you failed to realize is that you are posting on TBD 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

With or without Eichel, the Sabres stunk/stink on ice.

13 years of no playoffs (as soon as they get eliminated this season).  A record.  And if you watch NHL and pay attention, it is sickening how many ex sabres are doing well elsewhere.  How could they not stink.

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Diggs does dumb things that strain relationships. He undermines coaches and teammates. He needs the attention which is a trait that has only grown more as Josh's spotlight grew. He turns around and masquerades his bad behavior and poor choices as being misunderstood or competitive. He makes you the problem not his behavior. He is a headcase, eroding talent. Somebody who came up as a no show in the most competitive situations since he has been here. Everybody around him is now better because he is gone. You can't measure the impact of a bad apple. You can't just take the talent by itself. It's not how this works. 

Well said. This is the context that seems to be unappreciated by those who are against this trade. He just became too malignant. This is addition by subtraction in my opinion

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It would be nice if Beane was competing on the field of play. I'm sick about this trade, but I understand. I just hope Beane has a plan to replace Diggs production

49 YPG over the final 13 games (including playoffs) shouldn't be hard to replace...

8 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Just caught yesterday’s tweet. It is absolutely right that Diggs has never criticised the Bills or the Mafia. But he really seemed to have it in for Josh, and it gets to a point where you can’t have WR1 working against the QB in public to that extent.

What was yesterday's tweet? I can only see old ones on X

Basically gonna be a one year minor rebuild where Bills are still good enough to challenge for division then will resume being a SB contender in 2 years.  The stark contrast here between Beane and how Russ Brandon would have handled trade is enormous. Beane took high road while Russ would have leaked to every local media personality how Diggs “didn’t want to be here anymore” along with multiple anecdotes on why he was a malcontent.

Edited by Billy Zabka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It would be nice if Beane was competing on the field of play. I'm sick about this trade, but I understand. I just hope Beane has a plan to replace Diggs production

I think the Texans are hopeful they can replace Diggs’ production. 

Beane competes admirably on his field of play, IMO. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

My point was, roster building is easier when all your money isn’t going to a franchise QB. 

We shall see, but I still take the Bills as a whole, and I respect what they are doing in Houston. The Diggs deal doesn’t move my needle much. I want to get younger, cheaper and on the proper trajectory. 

I think this will end badly for the Texans when Diggs starts pouting after realizing he is #2 or #3 on their depth chart. He is going to be a distraction for their excellent young QB. 

We will see how long Ryans puts up with his attitude. Imo, Ryans will be swifter than McDermott to impose discipline 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1