NFL Scouting Combine 2024

KingBoots8

11 minutes ago, DJB said:

So now everyone loves A Mitchell after the combine?

Where were you guys all thread with me? Hes been my boy!!!

Yes, checks all the boxes for me now.

Age, frame, route running, hands, deep speed, explosiveness, ability to be an immediate Gabe upgrade with potential to be a #1 in 2-3 years as Diggs rolls off

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I’d love if he was in play…However, I have long thought the Bills would need to trade up to get him…

If not, I could see a team jumping the Bills to get him, especially since everyone knows we need WR…

He will be a Chief. Mahomes even posted about him on Twitter. Which leads me to think Mahomes is 100 percent tuned into who  is next future Wr could be. They are going to rehaul their Wr room with a vet and a rookie. 

• Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

He will be a Chief. Mahomes even posted about him on Twitter. Which leads me to think Mahomes is 100 percent tuned into who  is next future Wr could be. They are going to rehaul their Wr room with a vet and a rookie. 

The Chiefs won't get a whiff of him at 32.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The Chiefs won't get a whiff of him at 32.

Not at 32....I expect a move up by them, possibly even a big move up if some moron team trades for Sneed in the old New England "the rich get richer" scenario. Teams think they are getting better when in truth they are just keeping themselves further from the best by doing that crap.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I agree that the Chiefs will be very aggressive upgrading their receiver group with both a free agent signing and in the draft. They will load up and all the pundits will continue to heap gobs of praise at them. Can’t say I blame them, but it will still drive me crazy. Pass rush will be the only way to stop them.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am confused with him. I don't think I can touch his grade based on yesterday because I don't think it aligns with the tape. I need to go and do a re-watch of him but for now I'm leaving him where he is on the board. Mid 2nd grade.

I loved his tape. In fact most film gurus had him ranked highly it was the metrics crowd which was down on him.

Hes put the metrics to bed

Edited by DJB

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

I loved his tape. In fact most film gurus had him ranked highly it was the metrics crowd which was down on him.

Hes put the metrics to bed

I still struggle with where the special is on the tape. He is a solud receiver. Does everything well. Not sure what the trait that really separates him is. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I still struggle with where the special is on the tape. He is a solud receiver. Does everything well. Not sure what the trait that really separates him is. 

He is excellent at creating separation with suddenness. I think he’s also an underrated route runner . 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

I agree that the Chiefs will be very aggressive upgrading their receiver group with both a free agent signing and in the draft. They will load up and all the pundits will continue to heap gobs of praise at them. Can’t say I blame them, but it will still drive me crazy. Pass rush will be the only way to stop them.

There’s no point in that the only way you beat the chiefs anymore is to win an arms race get your qb as many weapons as they can cause McDermott has proven even with a totally healthy defense he really can’t stop the Burrows and Mahomes of the world might as well outscore them. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

There’s no point in that the only way you beat the chiefs anymore is to win an arms race get your qb as many weapons as they can cause McDermott has proven even with a totally healthy defense he really can’t stop the Burrows and Mahomes of the world might as well outscore them. 

Correct.  With holding now legalized in the playoffs, investing heavily in edge rush is a losing strategy.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, mrags said:

So whether we get him or not all 31 teams are in agreement yes not the Chiefs.

Can't help but like this guy, he just looks like he's got something in the highlight clips more than some of the others.🤷‍♂️

Didn't think he'd test this well.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Trust The Process said:

These are my 5 favorite WR's. I'd be thrilled to draft any one of them.

I'd say there is like 85+% chance you'll be thrilled.

Edit: Meaning we are drafting one of Thomas, Mitchell, Legette, Worthy or Franklin.

Edited by No_Matter_What

18 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The chiefs proved that they’ve won 3 super bowls where holding wasn’t called on them a single time 

I’m not sure if Mahomes was sacked a single time in those games…

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In the days leading up to the combine Ian Rappaport said that the biggest variation at WR between the draftniks and the pro scouts was Xavier Worthy.   Pro scouts have always had him going in round 1(even if not a true first round grade, of which some think there are only 15-18).

And the truth is that Worthy was generally considered a mid 1st round pick in waiting last spring and summer.   He has been consistent so the "he's John Ross 2.0" crowd of folks clearly don't follow college football.     Worthy just didn't have a breakout jump in performance.   And that was largely on their QB Quinn Ewers IMO.   He throws a lot of neighborhood balls.    If Worthy and Mitchell had played with a Penix or Nix they would be a much easier evaluation, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

So whether we get him or not all 31 teams are in agreement yes not the Chiefs.

Can't help but like this guy, he just looks like he's got something in the highlight clips more than some of the others.🤷‍♂️

Didn't think he'd test this well.

Of course, any of the top receivers to the Chiefs is no bueno.   But the same can be said of offensive tackles.   They need two new offensive tackles and this is the year to get one.   The Chiefs have been fairly stingy with the Hunt fortune in recent offseasons so maybe they have to draft more for need and defer receiver to day 2.

Lots of talk about taking a WR day one.  Lots of talent there.  Anyone else think Coker would be a poor man's Keon Coleman available much later in the draft?  If we do double dip at WR he could probably do Gabe Davis things and then some.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Of course, any of the top receivers to the Chiefs is no bueno.   But the same can be said of offensive tackles.   They need two new offensive tackles and this is the year to get one.   The Chiefs have been fairly stingy with the Hunt fortune in recent offseasons so maybe they have to draft more for need and defer receiver to day 2.

People worry about the Chiefs moving up, possibly big time, but I don't know. The Chiefs don't typically select a WR in the first round. They do it in the second. Maybe round 2 is where they move up. A. Mitchell has always been my target but although they have other pressing needs I see Mitchell as somebody Jerry will absolutely love and WR is a secondary need for the Boys. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In the days leading up to the combine Ian Rappaport said that the biggest variation at WR between the draftniks and the pro scouts was Xavier Worthy.   Pro scouts have always had him going in round 1(even if not a true first round grade, of which some think there are only 15-18).

And the truth is that Worthy was generally considered a mid 1st round pick in waiting last spring and summer.   He has been consistent so the "he's John Ross 2.0" crowd of folks clearly don't follow college football.     Worthy just didn't have a breakout jump in performance.   And that was largely on their QB Quinn Ewers IMO.   He throws a lot of neighborhood balls.    If Worthy and Mitchell had played with a Penix or Nix they would be a much easier evaluation, IMO. 

You might have missed it but I did a bit of DM bombing in the past week - touched base with 8 respected folks who I have got to be on DMing terms with over the past 5 years or so including two NFL scouts (one past and one present). Asked them basically where they were beyond the consensus top 3 and this was pre-combine and the split for the "4th guy" was 

Thomas x3 (including one who had him at WR3 ahead of Odunze)

Coleman x2

Mitchell x1

Worthy x1

Franklin x1 

And Worthy was the former scout. 

So I totally buy that the NFL has always been higher than the draft comnunity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

People worry about the Chiefs moving up, possibly big time, but I don't know. The Chiefs don't typically select a WR in the first round. They do it in the second. Maybe round 2 is where they move up. A. Mitchell has always been my target but although they have other pressing needs I see Mitchell as somebody Jerry will absolutely love and WR is a secondary need for the Boys. 

The Chiefs fatalistic obsession is out of hand. 

"The Chiefs are going to trade up for Worthy"

"We can't let the Chiefs draft Ladd McConkey"

"Gabe Davis is going to sign with the Chiefs and be consistently good for them"

"The Chiefs are definitely going to sign Mike Evans"

They live rent free in so many posters minds these days.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Can't have drama without a villain. They need to upgrade WR, and they will. I'd rather they didn't take one of the toys I want. And they are the team that has won the rings and kept us from advancing multiple times, so there's that.

19 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Anyone questioning Worthy should check out some highlights.  Yes highlights, but the guy has elite level speed and acceleration/ability to create YAC.  

My honest opinion? This is one of the weakest highlight videos I've ever seen for a supposedly 1st round talent.

First of all nearly half the video is punt returns. Not a good sign when you have to fill time in a highlight video with plays that will be irrelevant when he hits the NFL (unless you are drafting a punt returner in the 1st round).

More importantly every single pass catching highlight is the same. He catches the ball in open space and then zips by the defense at lightning speed. Where are the routes? Where is the shiftiness with the ball in his hands? Where are the catches outside of his frame? Can he find holes in zone? A couple times in these highlights he catches a vertical pass that is a tiny bit out in front of him and he falls to the ground while securing the catch, like a simple soft catch knocked him over.

This looks like a mid-round pick to me. For him to be successful the play has to be set up specifically for him to receive the ball in space because he isn't going to set plays up on his own. The pass will have to be perfect and he'll have to hope the defense takes a bunch of bad angles. I don't see any shiftiness on his tape at all. He actually gets caught from behind more than a couple of times because he doesn't understand how to force bad angles. He's the definition of a straight line player.

If any team takes Worthy in the 1st round it will end as badly as John Ross IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

My honest opinion? This is one of the weakest highlight videos I've ever seen for a supposedly 1st round talent.

First of all nearly half the video is punt returns. Not a good sign when you have to fill time in a highlight video with plays that will be irrelevant when he hits the NFL (unless you are drafting a punt returner in the 1st round).

More importantly every single pass catching highlight is the same. He catches the ball in open space and then zips by the defense at lightning speed. Where are the routes? Where is the shiftiness with the ball in his hands? Where are the catches outside of his frame? Can he find holes in zone? A couple times in these highlights he catches a vertical pass that is a tiny bit out in front of him and he falls to the ground while securing the catch, like a simple soft catch knocked him over.

This looks like a mid-round pick to me. For him to be successful the play has to be set up specifically for him to receive the ball in space because he isn't going to set plays up on his own. The pass will have to be perfect and he'll have to hope the defense takes a bunch of bad angles. I don't see any shiftiness on his tape at all. He actually gets caught from behind more than a couple of times because he doesn't understand how to force bad angles. He's the definition of a straight line player.

If any team takes Worthy in the 1st round it will end as badly as John Ross IMO.

I am with you, someone is going to screw up and take this kid in the 1st.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sounds like an Al Davis pick.  When they hit, they hit big - but the misses were notable too.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's like the Patriots were a few years back in people's minds. 

The funny thing is, the Chiefs traded their top WR, one of the best on the field in the NFL...then went on to win the next 2 Super Bowls. Then they had what looks to be a find with Rice. Who's to say they're even in a huge hurry to stock the position at the top of the draft/huge FA move?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m not saying to draft a pass rusher, just that if Mahomes is pressured that is the only time he is off on his throws or throws picks. I think we should definitely draft a wr in the first round and more on day two or three. Check out what the Raiders did to him when they beat KC at the end of the season. I’m speaking more about defensive strategy against him.

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Devil's advocate: stuff like finding holes in the zone generally aren't exciting enough to be in highlight videos.

I am admittedly low on Worthy though. He shows flashes of being able to change direction really well on some of his routes, but I don't think he showed much of it after the catch/didn't show it in his routes consistently either. He's more of a guy that will catch the ball and simply outrun defenders vs. a Kadarius Toney or Zay Flowers type where they're making people miss with change of direction skills.

I don't think it's an accident that he skipped the Combine drills; he knew he'd be able to just stop after the 40 and walk out a winner without having to draw attention to his hands, routes, etc.

56 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I remember "if Kadarius Toney is drafted by the Chiefs it is game over" not just from Bills fans. I heard it in the mainstream media too. Low and behold he ends up there after a trade and royally sucks balls.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I remember "if Kadarius Toney is drafted by the Chiefs it is game over" not just from Bills fans. I heard it in the mainstream media too. Low and behold he ends up there after a trade and royally sucks balls.

I'll worry about how a player may or may not work with the Chiefs after the Chiefs get him.

But the non-stop "oh no what if the Chiefs get him" or "the Chiefs are going to get him and we're screwed if they do" with literally EVERY FA or Draft eligible WR available is a little much for me.

I'll worry about how a player may or may not work with the Chiefs after the Chiefs get him.

But the non-stop "oh no what if the Chiefs get him" or "the Chiefs are going to get him and we're screwed if they do" with literally EVERY FA or Draft eligible WR available is a little much for me.

I agree. Though I do think they will nibble at Gabe Davis. It isn't just fan talk IMO. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

The Cowboys have Michael Gallup and Brandon Cooks, what else do they need at WR? With Tyron Smith on the outs I've gotta think OT is high on their board. 

Edited by The Jokeman

46 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Call me crazy, but I would have no problem taking a chance on the the next potential Tyreek Hill in the first round…I would even trade up for him…At this point, the Bills have nothing to lose imo…

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Toss in the busting of Skyy Moore and Mecole Hardman they aren't great at identifying WRs.

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Call me crazy, but I would have no problem taking a chance on the the next potential Tyreek Hill in the first round…I would even trade up for him…At this point, the Bills have nothing to lose imo…

They have plenty to lose. They need to make the right choice. I would not take Worthy. A big X like Thomas, Mitchell, or Legette makes a lot more sense.

I understand the appeal, however.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Trading up for a WR who bust in a strong draft year is so reminiscent of Sammy Watkins. No thanks. We'd have a lot to lose as we have serious depth issues at RB, DL, OL and S. We're not a single player away 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Do we know who did the Bills meet with at the combine?

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/03/nfl-combine-2024-buffalo-bills-prospect-meeting-tracker.html

WIDE RECEIVER

Troy Franklin, Oregon (source)

Keon Coleman, FSU (source)

Tez Walker, UNC (source)

Xavier Worthy, Texas (source)

Brian Thomas Jr., LSU (source)

Jalen McMillan, Washington (source)

Adonai Mitchell, Texas (source)

Xavier Legette, South Carolina (source)

Roman Wilson, Michigan (source)

Johnny Wilson, Florida State (source)

• Awesome! (+1) 1