What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl?

Chaos

What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl without making an HC change?

• I have no more patience, I would already have made a change
    • 1 more season
    • 2 more seasons
    • 3 more seasons
    • Never make a change as long as the team is competive and makes or almost makes the playoffs every year.

Hey beat the Chiefs three times in three years in the regular season.  We went toe to toe with them in the 13 seconds game, and this year we lost by a field goal.  I know in 13 seconds it’s been discussed here at nauseam about poor coaching and it’s true.

I voted one more year to get it right, but if he blows it again, we’re going to have to go out and start looking for someone.  The problem is who?  We don’t have a better option now.  Sure, I’ve thought Ben Johnson, but his OC responsibilities. Doesn’t make him a CEO.  I’m just hoping this plays out and we at the very least make the AFCCG in 24.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/16/2024 at 2:49 PM, Chaos said:

Patience is a virtue.  That is not in dispute. 
So it is arguable that the more patience one has the more virtuous one is being. 
This poll is a test of your virtue. 

More undisputed facts:

• Sean McDermott Bills head coach since 2017
  • The Bills have made the playoffs 6 of those 7 years
  • The Bill have not made it to the super bowl in any of those 7 years. 
  • Only three NFL head coaches (Reid, Tomlin, Harbaugh) have been with their teams longer (all have coached Super Bowl champions in their career)
  • Two other coaches have the same number of years (McVay, Shanahan) Both have been to the Super Bowl twice. One has won a Super Bowl (weaker NFC)

Generally speaking teams in the NFL do not seem to be patient with coaches.  Teams have fired relatively recent super bowl winners (Pederson, Bellichek, Riveria for example). Teams have fired other coaches that made the playoffs numerous times.  Some teams have been more patient (Shottenheimer, Marvin Lewis, Dan Reeves spring to mind) 

This poll is intended to record your level of virtue.  The bigger the number you pick, the more virtuous you are. 

Seems like the teams that were patient mostly have not won anything. It all depends on what our organization wants . Do they just want to compete make it to divisional round and go home every year or do they want more. I voted that I would have fired Mcd already Mof after 13 secs that did it for me. How much trust does his players have in him after that?

I also wanted to vote on 1 more yr and I'm hoping that's all he has left but hate to say it I believe Pegs loves McBeane and won't address the changes for yrs to come. If Mcd gets us to AFC championship depending on how its done and if the rookies and new players are a big part of that he'll deserve to be brought back but if we lose in another debacle I hope he's gone. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm a fan, not a GM, and I've been one for 50 years. I watch football for entertainment. I'm bummed when they get knocked out of the playoffs, but it doesn't invalidate the fun I had watching. So for me, I'll watch the Bills until I die.

I really wanted the Niners to beat the Chiefs last week. When the game ended, my wife said, "Sorry it didn't go your way." I told her it was the outcome I expected, but it was a great game to watch, nonetheless.

I've adopted a Buddhist/Taoist philosophy of life. I can't control what I can't change; all I can control is how I react to it.

I highly recommend it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'm a fan, not a GM, and I've been one for 50 years. I watch football for entertainment. I'm bummed when they get knocked out of the playoffs, but it doesn't invalidate the fun I had watching. So for me, I'll watch the Bills until I die.

I really wanted the Niners to beat the Chiefs last week. When the game ended, my wife said, "Sorry it didn't go your way." I told her it was the outcome I expected, but it was a great game to watch, nonetheless.

I've adopted a Buddhist/Taoist philosophy of life. I can't control what I can't change; all I can control is how I react to it.

I highly recommend it.

I watch football for entertainment too, and I can't think of anything more entertaining from a football perspective than winning a SuperBowl. Thus, less patient.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/16/2024 at 7:33 AM, Virgil said:

This is tough for me.  Normally, I would say they should make the change this offseason.  But then again, what are we really asking for here?  We are looking for someone to do what no one else can.  I'd argue that McD plays Reid better than any other coach.  We scored more points against the Chiefs than anyone else did in the playoffs, same in prior years.  

With that being said, you're asking do we drop the #2 coach for a hopeful coach that can do what no one else has.  

I'm not sure how to answer that honestly.  

I'd counterargue that Josh has scored more points against the Chiefs and Reid seems to outcoach McD in the playoffs.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:49 AM, Chaos said:

So it is arguable that the more patience one has the more virtuous one is being. 

More undisputed facts:

• Only three NFL head coaches (Reid, Tomlin, Harbaugh) have been with their teams longer (all have coached Super Bowl champions in their career)
  • Two other coaches have the same number of years (McVay, Shanahan) Both have been to the Super Bowl twice. One has won a Super Bowl (weaker NFC)

Generally speaking teams in the NFL do not seem to be patient with coaches.  Teams have fired relatively recent super bowl winners (Pederson, Bellichek, Riveria for example). Teams have fired other coaches that made the playoffs numerous times.  Some teams have been more patient (Shottenheimer, Marvin Lewis, Dan Reeves spring to mind) 

This poll is intended to record your level of virtue.  The bigger the number you pick, the more virtuous you are. 

Personally, I'd bring in Belichick and try to steal Chris Jones from the Chiefs.

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I guess I have all the patience in the world.  There is nothing I can do about it.  I don't own the team.  I've been watching for over 40 years.  I'm not going to stop now.

Exactly. The truth is, our level of patience is completely irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:02 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It means that more than 50% of this board would have gotten rid of McDermott and gone with the new coach for 2024.

Why those who post on this board are not employed by NFL front offices or coaching staffs!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I will always watch and be a Bills fan. My patience with McDermott will be gone entirely if they are healthy and defense is bad in the postseason again. D is supposed to be his specialty. 

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I'd counterargue that Josh has scored more points against the Chiefs and Reid seems to outcoach McD in the playoffs.

Personally, I'd bring in Belichick and try to steal Chris Jones from the Chiefs.

This. 

He was great when he had an elite QB. He would have one here. 

I'm so torn on McDermott.  He is, without doubt, a SOLID coach.  We're in every game, and have winning seasons consistently. He gameplans well.

And there is a lot of bad coaching in the league.  It's hard to find someone significantly better than McD.  I thought a few guys who would fit that description were available this offseason, and some might still be around next year.

To me, it depends on that.  I think AFCCG has to be the floor next year in terms of expectation.  Anything short of that - and if it's not tied to some circumstance like Allen being injured - and I think they have to consider moving on.  

He gets one more year for me. 

he did a great job managing through the Hamlin situation last year and redeeming himself the second half this year.

should have reached the superbowl this year, but his regular season work has been more impressive than not the past couple seasons. 

11 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

I would like to see the pole responses vs. age, most younger fans are the most impatient- although a case could be made for older fans to.

I'm 65 and wanted his arse canned after 13 seconds of pure coaching idiocy. But clearly the majority of "partcipation trophy" fans of McD are content to win some reg. season games for the sheer entertainment.  Go figure?....watching this team fail every year in the playoffs hardly screams entertainment. But if you set the bar low you'll never be disappointed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm 65 and wanted his arse canned after 13 seconds of pure coaching idiocy. But clearly the majority of "partcipation trophy" fans of McD are content to win some reg. season games for the sheer entertainment.  Go figure?....watching this team fail every year in the playoffs hardly screams entertainment. But if you set the bar low you'll never be disappointed. 

I hear you and I would say not so much lowering expectations but realizing they are "this close" to breaking through despite the mistakes.  KC seems like the only one in the way really.  Some player moves and we are right there again next season.  They know exactly what their roster needs are to beat them imho.  

• Agree 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:49 AM, Chaos said:

More undisputed facts:

I think McDermott winning all those games to finish the year got him another season.  This looks like a mini reset season and the Bills have 10 picks to do it. One of the biggest problems the Bills and McDermott face is the AFC is just loaded with top QB'S.  I think if Buffalo was in the NFC right now they would have made it to the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Haha I’m not sure you could’ve made a more “get off my lawn” statement if you tried! 

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn’t have said it finer… and I’m in my 70s!

Demand better, Bills fans!

On 2/16/2024 at 11:04 PM, Thurman#1 said:

This may go a long way towards documenting the fact that fans are far more subject to panic and bad, emotionally-based decision-making than they should be.

But we already knew that.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If you are not entertained why would you watch a team for decades that has never won the trophy?  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

My patience is unlimited. I'm not a child anymore. I'm here to be entertained. The team's accomplishments are not a reflection of me. My personal goals are separate from their goals.

exactly this!

Plus, demanding a Super Bowl victory??? There are so many combined factors that contribute to this, one of which is LUCK. There isn't a singular change you can make to any team that will make a Super Bowl victory come true. 

Right now we're in dreamland as far as sports fans are concerned. We get to watch a team that is entertaining, wins most of the time, and has a chance at a championship every year. Can't ask for more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

exactly this!

Plus, demanding a Super Bowl victory??? There are so many combined factors that contribute to this, one of which is LUCK. There isn't a singular change you can make to any team that will make a Super Bowl victory come true. 

Right now we're in dreamland as far as sports fans are concerned. We get to watch a team that is entertaining, wins most of the time, and has a chance at a championship every year. Can't ask for more than that.

Exactly, again.  I wouldn't say what @LeGOATski said - I don't have a lot of personal goals, and winning a Super Bowl isn't really goal, it's a hope or a wish.  But other than health and success of my family, there isn't much on my wish list ahead of a Lombardi.  So, my "wish" is exactly the same as the team's goal.

But your points are correct, about how hard it is to win a Super Bowl and about how much fun it is to be the fan of a team that truly is in the hunt to win it all year after year.   

During the drought, which team did I envy?  Well, in terms of excellence, of course it was the Patriots.  What they did was phenomenal, but it's sort of unreasonable to expect any team to do that again.  I mean, the NFL might not see another dynasty like that for 50 years.  So, no, I didn't envy the Patriots.  What I hoped for was to be like the Steelers:   a team with a shot every season, a team that had a hard-nosed QB who was one of the best in league, a team with stable ownership and a commitment to quality through continuity, a team that kept going about the work of being a success in the NFL year after year.   

Amazingly, I got what I hoped for.  The Bills have become the kind of franchise I wanted to be a fan of.

Will the Bills win a Super Bowl before I die?   I don't know, but that's much more up to me and my longevity than is the Bills, because I expect they will win one before Allen retires, I'd guess more than one.    

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

If you are not entertained why would you watch a team for decades that has never won the trophy?  

All in hopes that they somehow 1 day do it, not getting knocked out the playoffs every year.  Some of you don't seem to understand that though

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Exactly, again.  I wouldn't say what @LeGOATski said - I don't have a lot of personal goals, and winning a Super Bowl isn't really goal, it's a hope or a wish.  But other than health and success of my family, there isn't much on my wish list ahead of a Lombardi.  So, my "wish" is exactly the same as the team's goal.

But your points are correct, about how hard it is to win a Super Bowl and about how much fun it is to be the fan of a team that truly is in the hunt to win it all year after year.   

During the drought, which team did I envy?  Well, in terms of excellence, of course it was the Patriots.  What they did was phenomenal, but it's sort of unreasonable to expect any team to do that again.  I mean, the NFL might not see another dynasty like that for 50 years.  So, no, I didn't envy the Patriots.  What I hoped for was to be like the Steelers:   a team with a shot every season, a team that had a hard-nosed QB who was one of the best in league, a team with stable ownership and a commitment to quality through continuity, a team that kept going about the work of being a success in the NFL year after year.   

Amazingly, I got what I hoped for.  The Bills have become the kind of franchise I wanted to be a fan of.

Will the Bills win a Super Bowl before I die?   I don't know, but that's much more up to me and my longevity than is the Bills, because I expect they will win one before Allen retires, I'd guess more than one.    

I think we get one too in the next decade, maybe more than one as you said. The players around Allen and the coordinators are going to change on a regular basis. It's a matter of us having the right combination of things in the right year.

Edited by CheshireCT

1 minute ago, CheshireCT said:

I think we get one too in the next decade, maybe more than one as you said. The players around Allen and the coordinators are going to change on a regular basis. It's a matter of us having the right combination of things in the right year.

I agree completely.  To give credit where credit is due, however, what others say is, in fact, a legitimate question:  Are Beane and McDermott the right people to get the team there?   It is certainly possible that they just aren't good enough.

I'm not in that camp.  I think they're committed to winning big, and they're committed to change in order to get there.  Not everyone agrees. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I agree completely.  To give credit where credit is due, however, what others say is, in fact, a legitimate question:  Are Beane and McDermott the right people to get the team there?   It is certainly possible that they just aren't good enough.

I'm not in that camp.  I think they're committed to winning big, and they're committed to change in order to get there.  Not everyone agrees. 

I think they are, and the consistency in winning they've shown is the best proof you can have. I think of it like a game of odds, if we're in the mix every year we're going to crack through eventually. Then as far as my personal feeling goes, I can see that they are both people who are constantly working on improving themselves. Those are the kinds of people you put faith in.

14 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

I think they are, and the consistency in winning they've shown is the best proof you can have. I think of it like a game of odds, if we're in the mix every year we're going to crack through eventually. Then as far as my personal feeling goes, I can see that they are both people who are constantly working on improving themselves. Those are the kinds of people you put faith in.

Thanks for this conversation.  I think we see it exactly the same way, and that's comforting, because a lot of people here seem to think I'm crazy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm 68 and I do not set the bar low but I do remember 1968, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984, 1985 and the drought years. And like you I sat in the old rockpile including the 1966 Championship game! John Madden and Bill Cowther both won superbowls, check out the season leading up to the win.  The Steelers have six SB wins and only three coaches since 1970, using TBD standards Madden nor Cowther would have lasted to win one. We are a perrenial playoff team yet we want to take a chance on an unknown HC - lots of Bills history to suggest bad things can and will happen. Old guys are suppose to know better! 

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this conversation.  I think we see it exactly the same way, and that's comforting, because a lot of people here seem to think I'm crazy!

You know and I know we have it pretty good but then we are old timers and not of the fast food generation!

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

You know and I know we have it pretty good but then we are old timers and not of the fast food generation!

10 cent hamburgers at McDonald's on Niagara Falls Blvd. when I was 14, baby.   Classic fast food!

20 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

But clearly the majority of "partcipation trophy" fans of McD are content to win some reg. season games for the sheer entertainment.  

I really object when people who think staying with McBeane is the right decision are derided by suggestions that we're willing to settle for the participation trophy.   I suppose there are some who feel that way, but most of us want to win just as much as you do.  We just believe McBeane are most likely to get the Bills there the soonest.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

My patience is unlimited. I'm not a child anymore. I'm here to be entertained. The team's accomplishments are not a reflection of me. My personal goals are separate from their goals.

winning the super bowl would be plenty entertaining 

Just now, LeGOATski said:

It would be the ultimate entertainment

That's why I want to shake things up

we're not going to be uncompetitive w a different staff and FO

personally I don't find divisional losses significantly more entertaining than wildcard losses

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

All in hopes that they somehow 1 day do it, not getting knocked out the playoffs every year.  Some of you don't seem to understand that though

We all do.  Your comment is not well thought out. 

Let me simplify.  When the team is eliminated from playoffs do you keep watching? 

Or... The many years we knew we really couldn't win it all, did you enjoy any Bills football? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2024 at 8:46 PM, jethro_tull said:

I hear you and I would say not so much lowering expectations but realizing they are "this close" to breaking through despite the mistakes.  KC seems like the only one in the way really.  Some player moves and we are right there again next season.  They know exactly what their roster needs are to beat them imho.  

How can you say that when you have seen how they look when they play against Cincinnati?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.