What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl?

Chaos

What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl without making an HC change?

• I have no more patience, I would already have made a change
    • 1 more season
    • 2 more seasons
    • 3 more seasons
    • Never make a change as long as the team is competive and makes or almost makes the playoffs every year.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea my level of patience isn't endless…

I think there does come a point when even if you don't think Sean McDermott is problem (and I don't with the exception of 13 seconds) you have to try something different

Yeah… I truly don’t understand the posters who are happy with going on forever as long as we competitive. I’m fine with a bit more time… but FOREVER!?

I just don’t understand that mindset. It’s like settling for being a continual loser (but one of the better losers).

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you think that it is OK for a fan to want to get rid of McDermott? 

That's an interesting question.  

I mean, certainly on a Constitutional level, I'm okay.   Everyone's free to think what he wants.  

My nature, which I'm not necessarily proud of, causes me to be offended when people have really bad ideas about something I care about.  I feel like I should say, "How could you possibly think that!"   

But I also realize that they and I are not inside the organization, and inside the organization, certain things are very clear.  Either way.   I mean, if I were the owner of the Bills and I was privy to all that the Pegulas know, I might conclude that (contrary to everything I've been saying here) McDermott is fatally flawed and will have to leave as soon as a viable alternative is available.  I know that's possible.   I just think it's unlikely - I think that McDermott is succeeding at a very high level and he's more likely than any candidate available to build a a truly big winner.  The next dynasty.  But, as I often say, "What do I know?"

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I mean, certainly on a Constitutional level, I'm okay.   Everyone's free to think what he wants.  

My nature, which I'm not necessarily proud of, causes me to be offended when people have really bad ideas about something I care about.  I feel like I should say, "How could you possibly think that!"   

The above is big of you. However if some fans think that getting rid of McDermott makes sense, it isn't a "bad idea" just because you think otherwise. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The above is big of you. However if some fans think that getting rid of McDermott makes sense, it isn't a "bad idea" just because you think otherwise. 

Of course not.  I'm just trying to describe my emotional reaction to it.   I have supreme confidence in my opinions.  It's just the way I'm wired.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Depends on how the next season goes.  McD is the coach.  I am fine with that after how the second half of the season played out.  I dont really waste time thinking how many more years of patience I have.  I have been enjoying Bills football waaay more the past 7 years than the prior 17, but we have the right opportunity for us to win one and hope he can provide that.  I dont think a different coach was getting by KC last season. At the same time if we had moved on from McD, I would have been ok with that. 

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just one before I die please

Can we get a sense of your age and health so we can plan accordingly? 

45 minutes ago, Chaos said:

maybe could be a slogan?

A good slogan for a true loser. 

Edited by nedboy7

I would have hired Ben Johnson but I understand keeping McD.  I don’t think he’s the reason lost vs kc.  Regarding the future, I can’t answer that until I see what transpires next season

Great topic @Chaos!! I’ve been very clear that I’m a couple of years past ready. You CANNOT continue to run it back, with Josh Allen in his prime, for much longer. Don’t make him into Marino or Barkley or Bonds. I’m past the point of  “sustained success.” You have Josh Allen and I could have sustained success coaching him. It’s time for a championship.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Great topic @Chaos!! I’ve been very clear that I’m a couple of years past ready. You CANNOT continue to run it back, with Josh Allen in his prime, for much longer. Don’t make him into Marino or Barkley or Bonds. I’m past the point of  “sustained success.” You have Josh Allen and I could have sustained success coaching him. It’s time for a championship.

There really is no right or wrong answers here.  Different people have different risk/reward profiles. Personally, I think the past lack of success for coach/QB after a certain point exists for a reason.  Extremely few coaches seem to be able to adapt and modify what they are doing to the point of winning multiple championships.  In my best estimation, this is due to familiarity of the systems.  I think McDermott has become too familar (which can happen without actually winnning a championship). He seems like a truly stubborn person for better or worse. I don't see him ever being less familar.   Maybe the familiar system gets some injuries, or poor seasons from key opponents, but I think McDermott will need a lot of help from other teams failing, in order to get further than he has.   

I will give a similiar current example, which will be less emotional for Bills fans.   The McDaniels and Tua combo.  This past season was likely their best opportunity to take the league by storm and play through to a championship.  They started out with pretty interesting and different offensive attack.  Even put up 70 points.  But it got more figured out as the season progressed, and if they run back the same stuff next year, its hard to see it doing any better.  Given Tua's limitations and the quality assets he had around him this year, I don't think McDaniels/Tua has anywhere to go.  The difference is if I was the Dolphin's and I wanted to win championships, I would look to move on from Tua (maybe McDaniels too, but I think McDaniels got the most of Tua anyone ever will). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is tough for me.  Normally, I would say they should make the change this offseason.  But then again, what are we really asking for here?  We are looking for someone to do what no one else can.  I'd argue that McD plays Reid better than any other coach.  We scored more points against the Chiefs than anyone else did in the playoffs, same in prior years.  

With that being said, you're asking do we drop the #2 coach for a hopeful coach that can do what no one else has.  

I'm not sure how to answer that honestly.  

Is it McDermott that plays Reid well, or is is it Josh Allen who is the only qb in the game who can go toe to toe with Mahomes?

(regular season McDermott does good against Andy, but that doesn't matter)

• Like (+1) 1

It’s not like any of our “levels of patience” are relevant, it’s Terry Pegula’s level of patience that is relevant, and until he runs out of said patience this is an exercise in futility. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s not like any of our “levels of patience” are relevant, it’s Terry Pegula’s level of patience that is relevant, and until he runs out of said patience this is an exercise in futility. 

We can all agree that your level of patience is of no relevance.  Others like to share their opinions with each other. 

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

We can all agree that your level of patience is of no relevance.  Others like to share their opinions with each other. 

So y’all gonna have a community pouty competition about when y’all’s fed up with your favorite team then?  hope it makes ya feel all warm and fuzy 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.