Bills spent the second most in the nfl on defense

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I thought the Bills were really big spenders on the defensive side with putting it kindly mixed results but it does put where the front offices priorities are in perspective. 

If anything, this should signal its time to shift more resources toward offense and let our defensive minded hc coach em up on the defensive side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

How many cryptic "fire McDermott" threads can we have on the TBD front page at one time? 

This is more of a "Fire Beane" post. If 1/2 of those picks were more than Jags,we wouldn't keep picking DL nor would we need to have signed Von ( another bad move).  

Last year Beane knocked it out of the park, but he really has to do a hell of a lot better job scouting WR, DL and DB's in the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I thought the Bills were really big spenders on the defensive side with putting it kindly mixed results but it does put where the front offices priorities are in perspective. 

And they probably lost the most defensive cap to injury the couple seasons.

7 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

If anything, this should signal its time to shift more resources toward offense and let our defensive minded hc coach em up on the defensive side.

Bills were 6th in offensive spending.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

How many cryptic "fire McDermott" threads can we have on the TBD front page at one time? 

This does not even approach the number of "fire Dorsey" threads that people created on this site over the the past year or two.

It is funny how touchy the McD apologists can be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Chiefs spent 26 million  +-  less than we did, it’s time to use that cap space on offensive weapons, the writing is so clearly on the wall…, 

LFG BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The Chiefs spent 26 million  +-  less than we did, it’s time to use that cap space on offensive weapons, the writing is so clearly on the wall…, 

LFG BILLS!!!

I'd rather them use first round picks on offense like they did last year with Kincaid.

• Like (+1) 2

It all comes back to Von. They’d just watched the Rams go all in and get a trophy for it. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for the Bills. Now, the test will be what they do about it. The Rams seem to have fixed it pretty darn quickly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A million. People need to grow up.

Did you mean to type "wise up?"

Wanting a football coach fired who gave away Mahomes for a cornerback, traded up for mediocre defensive players (while neglecting to give Josh Allen adequate weapons) and finds numerous ways to lose big games is not a sign of immaturity. It sounds to me more like having an open mind and not being guided by blind loyalty (or in some cases fan hating). 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

That is a ridiculous number when you translate it to on-field product. Pretty fairly balanced overall though, looks like 50-40 and then 10% on ST. 

Need to do better of your shelling out that kind of money… I love Tre and Von but as has been discussed many-a-times on this board, there needs to be a huge change there; contract reduction or get it off the books unfortunately for players who can see the field. For both of their salaries you could get 4 quality players who would hopefully see the field; you’d at least double your chances of having someone else be able to step up if the “starter” gets injured… We also know they love their rotational depth so you’d have that working for you also. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wanting a football coach who gave away Mahomes for a cornerback, traded up for mediocre defensive players (while neglecting to give Josh Allen adequate weapons) and finds numerous ways to lose big games is not a sign of immaturity. It sounds to me more like having an open mind and not being guided by blind loyalty (or in some cases fan hating). 

I am fine people having different views about McDermott. I am fine with people who want to fire him. I don't agree but they are entitled to their views. It is the proliferation of LAMPs masquerading as something new while trying to re-hash the same old points and the number has shot up again the last two days. 

If people want to engage in honest, mature debate those arguments exist already in other threads without the board being spammed consistently. 

13 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That is a ridiculous number when you translate it to on-field product. Pretty fairly balanced overall though, looks like 50-40 and then 10% on ST. 

Need to do better of your shelling out that kind of money… I love Tre and Von but as has been discussed many-a-times on this board, there needs to be a huge change there; contract reduction or get it off the books unfortunately for players who can see the field. For both of their salaries you could get 4 quality players who would hopefully see the field; you’d at least double your chances of having someone else be able to step up if the “starter” gets injured… We also know they love their rotational depth so you’d have that working for you also. 

At one point this year the Bills had nearly a 3rd of their total cap send unavailable to them. That hurts any team. I said it somewhere else the other day but I can't think of a team who three years in a row have lost key defensive first team all pro level guys to severe serious enders of the likes Tre, then Von, then Tre and Matt have suffered. Because those aren't even "miss the rest of the season but go again in camp" injuries. They are injuries that have impacted the following year too. 

It sucks. We are due a bit of luck on that front in 2024. Here's hoping.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am fine people having different views about McDermott. I am fine with people who want to fire him. I don't agree but they are entitled to their views. It is the proliferation of LAMPs masquerading as something new while trying to re-hash the same old points and the number has shot up again the last two days. 

If people want to engage in honest, mature debate those arguments exist already in other threads without the board being spammed consistently. 

At one point this year the Bills had nearly a 3rd of their total cap send unavailable to them. That hurts any team. I said it somewhere else the other day but I can't think of a team who three years in a row have lost key defensive first team all pro level guys to severe serious enders of the likes Tre, then Von, then Tre and Matt have suffered. Because those aren't even "miss the rest of the season but go again in camp" injuries. They are injuries that have impacted the following year too. 

It sucks. We are due a bit of luck on that front in 2024. Here's hoping.

Great point on the full scope of perspective. 

I, personally, am not banking on that luck going our way. Multiple years in a row there’s been multiple injuries that crippled the fielded team at some point. Tre 2 years ago. Von last year. Tre and Milano this past one. 

Milano hurt the most this year. That combination of him and Bernard’s meteoric rise would have been special for the whole year. Definitely one of the best duos and up there with Smith/McQueen, Bolton/Gay & Warner/Greenlaw. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Too late for that as far as 2024 is concerned. Hopefully 2025 they will have set themselves up to spend money on the offense. It will require a willingness from Beane to be especially frugal this offseason though. Cut White, re-sign none of our UFAs, maybe even cut Miller if the plan is to roll over his cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

LFG BILLS!!!

McDermott can coach up defenses low picks & high picks as evidenced this year with all the injuries. If he can pull off the Spagnuola effect while head coaching, load up on more offense....

Sounds like a plan. 

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The 49'ers aren't paying for a quarterback.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

So should they still sign Chris Jones ?

No, they should sign Josh Allen.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wanting a football coach fired who gave away Mahomes for a cornerback, traded up for mediocre defensive players (while neglecting to give Josh Allen adequate weapons) and finds numerous ways to lose big games is not a sign of immaturity. It sounds to me more like having an open mind and not being guided by blind loyalty (or in some cases fan hating). 

I would say having an open mind involves using more sophisticated logic than “no Super Bowl = fire him”.  It is not blind faith to use sound reasoning and be objective and critically think vs just make emotional decisions.   Did the chiefs give Mahomes adequate weapons?   Josh has more.    Did McDermott make those trade ups or was it the GM?   Mentioning the draft pick trade as a reason to fire McDermott is one of the most unintelligent things I have ever read here which is saying a lot.  

40 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t take this as a fire, McDermott thread I do think the post has some merit

We spend all that money on the defense and then whenever we get into the playoffs, it doesn’t matter

Start allocating resources to the offense

It didn't matter because the injuries on that defense absolutely decimated them. Losing a couple of guys is par for the course.

But having five or six of the original eleven starters out including probably four of the five or six best players on that defense was devastating. There isn't a unit in the league that wouldn't have been greatly affected by those kinds of losses.

10 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Nonsense.

Nonsense that they "traded up for mediocre defensive players". Guys in the last four years we've traded picks for on defense are: Elam, Benford in the 6th, Baylon Spector in the 7th. Those are two very good late picks. Elam sure isn't looking good so far, but that could easily turn around, and they traded a 4th rounder to get that pick. A 4th isn't nothing, but it's not like they gave up a pick on the first two days or something.

When (relatively) healthy at the beginning of the year this defense was excellent.

Nonsense that they neglected to give Josh Allen adequate weapons when they got him Stef Diggs, they used their 1st round pick on a weapon who shows every sign of being a terrific player, and they used a 2nd on Cook last year who was 6th in the league in yards from scrimmage, and not a distant 6th. He was 19 yards away from 4th place overall.These three aren't adequate weapons. They are far better than that.

Could they have used more? Sure. But they had better weapons than the Chiefs.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The only number that means anything in this thread = Von Miller, Tre White, Matt Milano - $31.2M

That's $31.2M with little ROI this season.

Injuries happen, and sometimes they derail the best-laid plans.

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I would say having an open mind involves using more sophisticated logic than “no Super Bowl = fire him”.  It is not blind faith to use sound reasoning and be objective and critically think vs just make emotional decisions.   Did the chiefs give Mahomes adequate weapons?   Josh has more.    Did McDermott make those trade ups or was it the GM?   Mentioning the draft pick trade as a reason to fire McDermott is one of the most unintelligent things I have ever read here which is saying a lot.  

That was mentioned as part of his dismal performance, not as the primary reason that he should be fired.

And seriously, if you think that Beane has more say wrt the draft than McDermott, then I suppose this would make you a robotic blind fasith loyalist, not quite capable of an original thought. 

Either way, have a great day!

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

Nonsense that they "traded up for mediocre defensive players". Guys in the last four years we've traded picks for on defense are: Elam, Benford in the 6th, Baylon Spector in the 7th. Those are two very good late picks.

We didn't trade up for Benford or Spector.

They were selected with picks accumulated by trading away vets at the end of camp - Daryl Johnson to Carolina and Lee Smith to Atlanta.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

Nonsense that they "traded up for mediocre defensive players". Guys in the last four years we've traded picks for on defense are: Elam, Benford in the 6th, Baylon Spector in the 7th. Those are two very good late picks. Elam sure isn't looking good so far, but that could easily turn around, and they traded a 4th rounder to get that pick. A 4th isn't nothing, but it's not like they gave up a pick on the first two days or something.

When (relatively) healthy at the beginning of the year this defense was excellent.

Nonsense that they neglected to give Josh Allen adequate weapons when they got him Stef Diggs, they used their 1st round pick on a weapon who shows every sign of being a terrific player, and they used a 2nd on Cook last year who was 6th in the league in yards from scrimmage, and not a distant 6th. He was 19 yards away from 4th place overall.These three aren't adequate weapons. They are far better than that.

Could they have used more? Sure. But they had better weapons than the Chiefs.

I don't disagree wrt the late round trades. These were smart moves and things like that would seem to enable McDermott to concentrate on getting better weapons for his GREAT quarterback early in the drafts.

And yes they did trade that pick for Diggs which I applaud, despite the fact that he might have peaked at this point and is a bit wacky (or so it would appear). The Bills are in need of better receivers now. Do you doubt this? It seem to be a common concern of every poster on this board. More wide receivers and less ridiculous trade ups (Trevor Lawrence and Elam) would have given our generational talented QB a better chance to win. Oh, and there were plenty of  talented WRs left when he drafted Oliver at #9. 

In any event, thank you for the dialogue which I appreciate, and for bringing facts into the discussion.

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Spotrac has the Bills 6th in offensive cap spending. 

Adjust it for after Allen.

To the ridiculous points of some, I mean you have Josh Allen, why bother supporting him.  

If it isn't obvious it never well be.  

If we had drafted Allen before McD, McD wouldn't have had a chance of being here.  And who in their right mind truly believes that under any circumstances we'd be missing the playoffs otherwise with Allen as the QB.  And it's not as if we're doing anything in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

The only number that means anything in this thread = Von Miller, Tre White, Matt Milano - $31.2M

That's $31.2M with little ROI this season.

Injuries happen, and sometimes they derail the best-laid plans.

I have to agree. Just look at how many teams lost their starting quarterback this past season. If that happens to the Bills next year, we’re obviously toast. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Low Positive said:

An interesting analysis would be finding out how many teams in modern NFL history with a top-2, or say top-3 even, QB, did less to support that QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.