Anyone play Super Bowl squares?

Just Jack

I was in one, $20 buy in, for a fundraiser so only half would be paid out in prizes.  Got 9-9, so at the end of the 4th, would have got me $400 but they went by final score, not the end of the quarter.  Happens to me a lot.  I’ll have a win, only for a team to score right before the end of a quarter taking it away.  

1 minute ago, sunshynman said:

Any squares I have ever played are payouts at end of 1st, half, end of 3rd, end of game. I won $500 last night for end of game! And I thought 5-2 were crap numbers.

Same

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sunshynman said:

Any squares I have ever played are payouts at end of 1st, half, end of 3rd, end of game. I won $500 last night for end of game! And I thought 5-2 were crap numbers.

They used to be, then the NFL decided going for 2 is all the rage so the 2,5 have made a comeback 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The squares are a great way to get a bunch of people involved and you don’t have to be watching the game together. I find them kind of boring though, so I made Super Bowl bingo cards this year and it was a lot more fun. You can only participate if you’re at the party though. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I was in one, $20 buy in, for a fundraiser so only half would be paid out in prizes.  Got 9-9, so at the end of the 4th, would have got me $400 but they went by final score, not the end of the quarter.  Happens to me a lot.  I’ll have a win, only for a team to score right before the end of a quarter taking it away.  

That stinks....I ran a box pool years ago and I split the final payout between 4th quarter and final score. I don't remember the numbers but I made sure that the final still paid the most. 

We had an office girl run an annual pool years ago at a previous employer's.  'Betty Mac' charged $10 a square, and by the time she finished off paying for all the possible combinations (corner touch, side touch, etc.) you had to be pretty unlucky to not get something.

Another coworker at a different company finally got pissed off at chasing people for their entry fee, that he took $100 off the top for handling and carrying charges.  A few groused, but Tony was a good guy, and the rest of us just told the whiners to find a pool better suited to their needs.

3 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Yeah man, that was a foreign concept when I first moved to this country but both companies I’ve worked for played it this way… I thought that was the consensus? 

Of the total buy-in pot; Final score was 40%. Half time 30% and quarters 1 & 3 were 15%. 

My current workplace does 25% for each quarter as it’s only a pool of no more than 10 guys @ a $750 buy in with 2 squares each containing multiple lines. 

The first one, that steel mill was a pool of 100 guys @ $100 buy in. 

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I won $100 in my squares this year. Had 0-0. Could have won two more.

I missed $1,875 due to SF kicking a FG 12 seconds into the 2nd… Had 0-3 on the first quarter for yesterday. 

🥺

Edited by BBFL
  • Sad 1

One of the people who work for me runs a block pool every year for the SB. The final score payout is $6,500. The UPS drivers run one that the final score payout is around $14,000. I never get in them. I'm not into tossing away money like that. My two teenagers do that enough for me. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

I was so close to a big payout.  All I needed was a KC FG to win in OT.  The 3rd and 6 incompletion on SF's first OT series I thought would have nearly sealed it.  They would punt and KC would have no need for a TD.  But...  Out came a flag on McDuffie to extent the drive...

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

A firefighter friend of ours, needed the 49'ers to win by 3 1/2 for $120,000. So my $220 football squares lost seemed kind of insignificant.

I won the final last year for 3 grand, so I'm still playing with house money.

Seems like a type of bet I may try to hedge just a little

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I got decent numbers you want but no luck. It’s $50 per square with high pay out fir final score and per minute scores.

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is unfortunate they said 4th quarter and then did end of game.....sets up for grievances

Eh, not worth it.  I'm used to just missing out.  One year I was in a pool for work.  3 out of the 4 quarters I would have won, but one of the teams would score 2-3 minutes before the end of the quarter.  

One person I know, was in a squares pool, that paid out every score.  Half time and Final Score had set amounts, and the rest of the pool was split how every many times to payout the score changes.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.