What are your feelings on James Cook RB1

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

How good was Cook with garbage blocking?  Hall is an absolute stud behind a trash line and zero fear for the defense to being beat by the pass.  Cook has a good line and Josh Freaking Allen to take attention off him, gee whiz I wonder who has it easier.

Hall has it tougher. That doesn't mean he's better.

He's faster but I'd take Cook through the middle for hard yards and Cook's got better moves as well. Hall is a very good player, but I take Cook, personally.

On 2/9/2024 at 1:53 AM, GunnerBill said:

So Kenneth Walker, yep. Agree. Beast. 

Breece Hall, meh. I wouldn't swap them, but nor would I if I were a Jets fan. They are 6 and two 3s. 

Montgomery - no. His success was scheme. Gibbs, sure. He is very talented. 

Kamara, I have loved, he is one of the few guys I'd have paid a second contract - but as a rusher he has declined big style. Less than 4 ypc over the last 3 years and off field issues. I'd pass at this point.

Josh Jacobs - mainly a volume guy. Again his ypc is not great.

Pacheco - good back but I wouldn't swap.

Barkley - yea when he is healthy and his line gives him at least some blocking he is a stud.

Honestly, outside of Christian McCaffrey and Saquon Barkley, I don't know if there's a RB I'd rather have right now. But even with them clearly being the best in the NFL, that's only when they're healthy. Plus they're 3 years older with much more wear and tear. So even they would give me some pause.

Cook is 24 years old and entering just Year 3 with a pristine bill of health. He's shown a steady growth of development and could get even better. Those facts make him extremely valuable beyond just the stats.

Kenneth Walker is pretty great. I'm a fan. But he didn't put up the numbers that Cook did last year. His Rookie year was underwhelming and facilitated Seattle to spend another 2nd Round Pick on Zach Charbonnet the following year. I don't know if I'd straight up trade Cook for him, but it's very, very close.

Breece Hall, is close. But his having a torn ACL right out of the gate would have me passing. I think there's people on this board who fell head over heels in love with him Pre-Draft and still hold a torch. Truth is, as @HappyDays said, he's got straight line speed. Other than that, I'm not convinced he's as versatile or elusive as Cook is.

I was a big fan of Kamara, but he'll be 29 this year and the past couple years have seen a fall off. Cook reminds me of prime Kamara and could become that next season. Kamara is on the downswing now. Def wouldn't take him over Cook.

The rest of the list, no. Not even really a question to me with those guys.

Bijan Robinson is an interesting case. I think he could potentially be better and the pedigree coming out of College would have said it was a no brainer. But idk if it was just a bad Rookie year, bad blocking, or what. But he was overall disappointing in Year 1.

Jahmyr Gibbs on the other hand, was not. Surprisingly the best Rookie RB this season. But I have to see more before i'd say for sure i'd rather have him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

Cook only had 8 broken tackles the whole year. He's a product of the system if we get a better more conventional back we would be much better at running the ball. We all seen Cook wear down at the end of the season he's not a workhorse back even his college coaches knew this why don't the Bills? 

Harris had 2 brkn tackles on 23 touches compared to Cook 8 on 325. Cook was tied for 36 in the NFL in that category even though he had more touches then 90% of the players on that list. That's awful we need a bigger stronger back. Cook is better suited for a Gibbs type role getting 10-12 touches a week. We need a true workhorse to carry the load.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Honestly, outside of Christian McCaffrey and Saquon Barkley, I don't know if there's a RB I'd rather have right now. But even with them clearly being the best in the NFL, that's only when they're healthy. Plus they're 3 years older with much more wear and tear. So even they would give me some pause.

Cook is 24 years old and entering just Year 3 with a pristine bill of health. He's shown a steady growth of development and could get even better. Those facts make him extremely valuable beyond just the stats.

Kenneth Walker is pretty great. I'm a fan. But he didn't put up the numbers that Cook did last year. His Rookie year was underwhelming and facilitated Seattle to spend another 2nd Round Pick on Zach Charbonnet the following year. I don't know if I'd straight up trade Cook for him, but it's very, very close.

Breece Hall, is close. But his having a torn ACL right out of the gate would have me passing. I think there's people on this board who fell head over heels in love with him Pre-Draft and still hold a torch. Truth is, as @HappyDays said, he's got straight line speed. Other than that, I'm not convinced he's as versatile or elusive as Cook is.

I was a big fan of Kamara, but he'll be 29 this year and the past couple years have seen a fall off. Cook reminds me of prime Kamara and could become that next season. Kamara is on the downswing now. Def wouldn't take him over Cook.

The rest of the list, no. Not even really a question to me with those guys.

Bijan Robinson is an interesting case. I think he could potentially be better and the pedigree coming out of College would have said it was a no brainer. But idk if it was just a bad Rookie year, bad blocking, or what. But he was overall disappointing in Year 1.

Jahmyr Gibbs on the other hand, was not. Surprisingly the best Rookie RB this season. But I have to see more before i'd say for sure i'd rather have him.

The only way Cook even sniffs the level of production Kamara achieved is by holding onto the damn ball. He's never going to be a power back who runs violently or breaks tackles.  He's all finese.  But if he can find focus & concentration,  he most definitely can reach the accomplishments Alvin achieved. 

• Like (+1) 2

Very smooth runner that's fun to watch.  He's better between the tackles than I thought he'd be when we drafted him.  Seems to have really good vision but I like that he doesn't have much hesitation when hitting the hole.  He's a home run threat every time he touches the ball which we haven't had at RB since Shady.  He's a decent route runner who is a mismatch for most LB's.  I thought he'd have better hands as those missed TD drops are inexcusable.  Fumble worry me but are fixable.  Will always be limited as a blocker so I don't think he'll ever be a true every down back.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only way Cook even sniffs the level of production Kamara achieved is by holding onto the damn ball. He's never going to be a power back who runs violently or breaks tackles.  He's all finese.  But if he can find focus & concentration,  he most definitely can reach the accomplishments Alvin achieved. 

Kamara was physical as well I remember him bouncing of multiple sure tackles in his prime.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Very smooth runner that's fun to watch.  He's better between the tackles than I thought he'd be when we drafted him.  Seems to have really good vision but I like that he doesn't have much hesitation when hitting the hole.  He's a home run threat every time he touches the ball which we haven't had at RB since Shady.  He's a decent route runner who is a mismatch for most LB's.  I thought he'd have better hands as those missed TD drops are inexcusable.  Fumble worry me but are fixable.  Will always be limited as a blocker so I don't think he'll ever be a true every down back.

I keep hearing he’s a home run threat when he touches the ball. But there is no proof of that statement. He seems to trip over his own shadow on a regular basis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/8/2024 at 6:26 PM, phypon said:

Some posters on here are ridiculous.  Seriously, some of you guys are out of control.  You become trolls because someone disagrees with you.  Grow up.  

Well, I know FAR more about opinions than you and your opinions are garbage …. Opinions are definitely not your strong suit 😂😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Well, I know FAR more about opinions than you and your opinions are garbage …. Opinions are definitely not your strong suit 😂😂😂

And you just proved my point.  Keep trolling.  You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I keep hearing he’s a home run threat when he touches the ball. But there is no proof of that statement. He seems to trip over his own shadow on a regular basis.

James Cook had 6 rushes for 20+ yards this season. He had 7 catches for 20+ yards. And I think two total 40+ gains.

when you got a guy who is breaking a big play on an almost per game basis, that’s pretty great as a threat.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/8/2024 at 12:42 PM, GunnerBill said:

The people who don't think Cook is a 1 pretty much all fall into this camp. When they say "Cook isn't a #1 back" they mean "Cook doesn't meet my stylistic preference."

I think this might be a cyclical thing in the NFL … I sense teams will go back to featuring a stout running attack, especially if Pacheco and/or CMC tear it up tomorrow 

51 minutes ago, phypon said:

And you just proved my point.  Keep trolling.  You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

You truly don’t recognize sarcasm, even with the laughing emojis? Cmon man, I totally agreed with you 

5 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I think this might be a cyclical thing in the NFL … I sense teams will go back to featuring a stout running attack, especially if Pacheco and/or CMC tear it up tomorrow 

You truly don’t recognize sarcasm, even with the laughing emojis? Cmon man, I totally agreed with you 

Sorry, my bad.  I didn't pick up on that. Apologies for my reply.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Hall is an absolute stud

Nah. He needs wide open space in front of him to be successful. He's not shifty at all. All vertical traits, no lateral traits. So he's just a home run threat, and like I said that is a fine skillset for a RB but not one you spend a top 40 pick on. He came into the NFL with a lot of mileage too, over 800 touches in college.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Aside from the fumbles and drops, he really needs to improve in pass protection. 

Better play calling for his skill set might be the answer. get him some room to fire up the afterburners. design some downfield blocking for him to turn corners etc.

Complete back ? Probably not. A player Defenses need to keep an eye upon ? yes

He did surprise me with his running this year in between Tackles

Thanks Kromer for getting that much needed blocking sorted !

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hall has it tougher. That doesn't mean he's better.

He's faster but I'd take Cook through the middle for hard yards and Cook's got better moves as well. Hall is a very good player, but I take Cook, personally.

For a guy who has Thurman as a handle, I’d think you would have a better idea on RBs, oh well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:31 PM, Beast said:

Cook was 3rd in yards from scrimmage for all running backs. What else needs to be said?

Sir, your lab results came back. You unfortunately suffer from monovariablitis. His gross output is great, but the stats don't capture the impact of the negative plays.

Can he get better? Sure. That's all in his own hands. But a stat in isolation doesn't capture his value. 

12 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

Sir, your lab results came back. You unfortunately suffer from monovariablitis. His gross output is great, but the stats don't capture the impact of the negative plays.

Can he get better? Sure. That's all in his own hands. But a stat in isolation doesn't capture his value. 

OK. 

So you are saying we need to find better this off-season? That should be our priority?

Should we draft high? Sign a RB for good money?

Let me know what you think because that was the question. I feel good with Cook as our #1. 

You obviously don’t,

Edited by Beast

21 hours ago, Beast said:

OK. 

So you are saying we need to find better this off-season? That should be our priority?

Should we draft high? Sign a RB for good money?

Let me know what you think because that was the question. I feel good with Cook as our #1. 

You obviously don’t,

Not saying those things. RB is not an area of need this off-season.

I just think we can't boil down skill player performance to one variable that doesn't take into account all the negative plays.

I'm happy with Cook and want him to be better. Hope he does it in 2024.

My feelings are the same as they’ve always been on Cook.

Hes a very solid RB2 but he’s not a 3 down back who puts fear into defenders. I think he’s a product of this offense more so than a rare talent 

I want an elite guy to help Josh

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.