2024 WR Draft Class

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How would you rank the top 5 pure vertical threats in this draft? Don’t include Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze.

Assuming we're talking purely about their ability to win down the field, probably something like:

1. Brian Thomas
  2. Jermaine Burton
  3. Javon Baker
  4. Troy Franklin
  5. Adonai Mitchell

Worthy, Legette, Tez, and Coleman are in the discussion there too.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How would you rank the top 5 pure vertical threats in this draft? Don’t include Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze.

Do you mean ranking them purely on how good of a vertical threat they are? Or do you mean ranking the top 5 guys that the Bills could use as a vertical receiver on their overall skillset?

Because to me Thomas is clearly the best pure vertical guy. I might even have him as the best pure vertical guy including the top 3 (him and Odunze would be close). The problem with Thomas is he is "only" a pure vertical guy. He is very good at it but falls into the category of "one trick pony." If you are asking me who is the best of the guys who you can use as a vertical receiver when taking into account their whole package it's Legette for me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you mean ranking them purely on how good of a vertical threat they are? Or do you mean ranking the top 5 guys that the Bills could use as a vertical receiver on their overall skillset?

Because to me Thomas is clearly the best pure vertical guy. I might even have him as the best pure vertical guy including the top 3 (him and Odunze would be close). The problem with Thomas is he is "only" a pure vertical guy. He is very good at it but falls into the category of "one trick pony." If you are asking me who is the best of the guys who you can use as a vertical receiver when taking into account their whole package it's Legette for me. 

I personally think the Bills want to add a vertical threat that defenses have to account for immediately.

Legette definitely checks a lot of boxes.

The reason I believe they want a vertical threat is because they have 3 short to intermediate RAC receivers in Samuel, Kincaid, and Shakir. Adding a pure vertical threat will open up everything.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I personally think the Bills want to add a vertical threat that defenses have to account for immediately.

Legette definitely checks a lot of boxes.

Yep, along with the ability to win vs press man in the NFL playoffs, which is what the Bills haven't had this whole time. His physicality and suddenness would give us that.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Yep, along with the ability to win vs press man in the NFL playoffs, which is what the Bills haven't had this whole time. His physicality and suddenness would give us that.

I don’t think suddenness is a strength for him at all personally, nor is dealing with press coverage. Of the 13 WRs Matt Harmon has charted so far, the only two worse at dealing with press coverage are McConkey and Roman Wilson.

• Agree 1

A lot of stuff seems to be coming out about Adonai Mitchell's diabetes and being difficult (maybe "uncoachable").  Has this been out there for some time (the being difficult part) or is this the kind of negative misinformation that sometimes is put out there before the draft to intentionally hurt the draft position of a prospect?  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I don’t think suddenness is a strength for him at all personally, nor is dealing with press coverage. Of the 13 WRs Matt Harmon has charted so far, the only two worse at dealing with press coverage are McConkey and Roman Wilson.

I definitely respect your opinion on draftees but I think we'll all end up seeing in the league that he's going to be very good vs press. I respect analytics as well (Harmon is a full on analytics guy) but its just pretty obvious to me that he's a guy a team is going to want out there to work against man clutching and grabbing in the NFL playoffs. We'll see how it shakes out!... I feel quite confident on it.

Edit - to add - I should have said suddenness for his size

Edited by 34-78-83

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

A lot of stuff seems to be coming out about Adonai Mitchell's diabetes and being difficult (maybe "uncoachable").  Has this been out there for some time (the being difficult part) or is this the kind of negative misinformation that sometimes is put out there before the draft to intentionally hurt the draft position of a prospect?  

He already raised red flags during the combine in his interviews and there is lots of tape of him not doing routes correctly, and at 100%.  

He is so talented, but he scares me so much.  I just dont think we can take him.  Mcdermott doesnt do well with rookies that aren't catching onto things quickly in practice and the meeting room.  I watched some interviews with Mitchell, and his attention just seems to wonder.

Xavier Legette is my prediction.  I think Beane and Mcdermott will love him. I also think him being older is a plus.  I think it was a benefit for Kincaid last year.  Legette will give you blocking on the outside for the run game, and has the size and explosion to go deep.

I feel like Odunze is a rare WR1 with a blue collar personality. He’s a once in a lifetime WR for Buffalo. We’ll never get another chance to pair Josh Allen with a WR1 like Odunze. He’s a Larry Fitzgerald type. They don’t come around often. Unselfish, great team guy with elite ability.

Make the trade. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I feel like Odunze is a rare WR1 with a blue collar personality. He’s a once in a lifetime WR for Buffalo. We’ll never get another chance to pair Josh Allen with a WR1 like Odunze. He’s a Larry Fitzgerald type. They don’t come around often. Unselfish, great team guy with elite ability.

Make the trade. 

Things like this irk me.  You can't force a team to drop to 28.  You plan on giving up Josh Allen to get up to top 8?  About the only thing that we could give up for a team to drop all the way to 28.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Things like this irk me.  You can't force a team to drop to 28.  You plan on giving up Josh Allen to get up to top 8?  About the only thing that we could give up for a team to drop all the way to 28.

It’ll take a lot of draft picks. 

33 minutes ago, DJB said:

One thing that is different with Eskridge is he played 5 years of college. All others on the list played no more than 3 seasons. Franklin is a true junior and I believe underrated.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

you can get from 28 to 8 with this years and next years 1st rounders and 2nd rounders. Sure, thats a lot! But you don't need to add in Josh :)

You can't say that.  You need a dance partner and teams are under the assumption Bills will be good next year, so you are asking a team to drop to the late first, for another late first and a second.  Teams don't want to do it.  Every year you hear teams say they got offers and didn't want to drop that far.  I think the highest Bills can go this year is mid teens.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

You can't say that.  You need a dance partner and teams are under the assumption Bills will be good next year, so you are asking a team to drop to the late first, for another late first and a second.  Teams don't want to do it.  Every year you hear teams say they got offers and didn't want to drop that far.  I think the highest Bills can go this year is mid teens.

Yep, of course...That kinda goes without saying. My point was just going off of trade capital and value charts

I have been grinding on these WRs for so long now it feels like aside from medicals and in person interviews, I have as good a understanding about this class than I have for any class since I started really getting into the draft many years ago.  And I think that what a lot of these draft guys are saying about this WR class is right.....it might be the deepest it has been in years.  That said, outside the top 3, the more I dig, the more flaws I find with the next tier of guys.

Now, I want to say right up front that even though I am seeing more flaws in these guys than I would like to, that doesn't mean they won't be able to clean these things up and become stars.  All of these guys have extremely high ceilings if they reach their potential.  So, where am I at with this draft in terms of WRs?  Well, if I'm the GM of the Bills, I have 2 different trains of thought as to how I want to go about this draft and I can make a case going either way.

OPTION 1

Get super aggressive and try to move into the top 10 to get one of these potential studs.  Most have it MHJ, Nabers, and then Odunze.  To be honest with you, I could make a compelling argument for pretty much any order you would want to put them in, depending on the type of WR you are looking for and I would be absolutely thrilled with any one of these guys being a Buffalo Bill next Thursday.  But man......it's not going to be easy to find a trade partner willing to drop to 28, and even if you do, it is going to cost a ton to do it.  Most likely, 28, next year's one, Minny's 2 next year, and probably at least another pick or 2 because teams are going to force you to pay a premium to drop that far.  They would probably ask for 60 this year on top of all that even though it would be way too much.  But those teams that you are asking to move up with pretty much would have all the leverage in this situation and I would expect having to pay a premium when it comes to assets to do it.  But, if you could come away with one of these top 3 guys, I would for sure consider it as long as it doesn't cost me next year's first and both 2nds next year as well.  I would need to keep one of those 2nds.  If you can find a taker, this is one option I am going to consider.

OPTION 2

Stay put and then trade up back into the 30s and double dip at WR.  I really like this scenario and it would be cheaper than the option above and I still think you would have a chance to hit a grand slam here.  I am a big proponent of Legette.  He's big, strong, physical and fast.  Quite honestly, he reminds me a lot of Eric Moulds who I believe is the most physically gifted and talented WR we have ever had.  I love Andre and everything he did for this team and he very much deserves his spot in the HOF.  However, if you are just looking at the physical tools and talent these guys have, I still believe Moulds, if he had a real QB throwing him the ball for his career, would be in the HOF as well.  But anyway.....back to Legette.  I think this team, while talented at the WR position over the last few years, has sorely missed that big, physical, explosive WR that can just impose his will at times.  I think next to Odunze, Legette is the next best option in this class when it comes to a player like this.  So, in this option, I am taking Legette at 28.  Then, I am immediately getting on the phone looking to move up into the mid 30s and taking another one of these guys that are in the same sort of bucket.  That is probably going to cost 60, next year's 2 and maybe a 3rd or 4th, but it would be much more manageable than the move into the top 10 would be.  But ideally, I am walking out of this draft if using this option with Legette and one of either Worthy, McConkey, Mitchell, or Franklin.  You could maybe wait into the late 30s or early 40s for one of these guys, but if this is the option I am deciding to go with, I am committing to it and getting as high as I can in the 2nd to take the next available prospect.  

Either of these options work for me.  I think both are exciting and would help this team immensely on the field next season.  There are no perfect players, but there are some WRs in this class that could potentially be super stars and I want to make sure I give myself the opportunity to make that happen.  I think either of these options will give you that chance to knock one out of the park.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Make the trade. 

No single WR is worth what we would have  to pay to get up there

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

No single WR is worth what we would have  to pay to get up there

Disagree.  Any of the top 3 WR’s have the potential to be immediate top 10 players at the position with Allen.  

MHJ has the work ethic and drive.  He said his goal is to be the best WR to ever play.

I don’t expect it to happen, and I’ll likely be excited about whoever we end up taking…

but I would trade 28, 2025 1st, 2nd, 2nd to get one of them.  & I’d add for MHJ 

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Disagree.  Any of the top 3 WR’s have the potential to be immediate top 10 players at the position with Allen.  

MHJ has the work ethic and drive.  He said his goal is to be the best WR to ever play.

I don’t expect it to happen, and I’ll likely be excited about whoever we end up taking…

Maybe Josh can elevate the No 4 and 5 receiver as well..

I’ll pass on givng up all that thanks  …Moot point anyway … A team isn’t moving down out of the Top 10 for essentially picks in 2025 ..: they are a Top 10 team for a reason and need help now ..

You would absolutely hate it too come next year .. and not have any draft picks to fantasise over 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 2

Final Rankings Top 3 Rounds

MHJ

Nabers

Odunze

BTJ

XL 

X.Worthy

AD Mitchell

Troy Franklin

McConkey

J. Polk

Roman Wilson

Ricky Pearsall

Tez Walker

Javon Baker

Keon Coleman

Malachi Corley

Jalen McMillan

Johnny Wilson

Malik Washington

Brendan Rice

Jamari Thrash

*Assume Jermaine Burton is off the Bills board

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe Josh can elevate the No 4 and 5 receiver as well..

I’ll pass on givng up all that thanks  …Moot point anyway … A team isn’t moving down out of the Top 10 for essentially picks in 2025 ..: they are a Top 10 team for a reason and need help now ..

You would absolutely hate it too come next year .. and not have any draft picks to fantasise over 

If 1 of those teams wants a QB next year / doesn’t get 1 they like this year…they could.

Cardinals should absolutely do it. Kyler is a bum. 

We will have a lot of cap space available next year.  Investing those picks into an elite offensive player is a worthwhile investment.  

However, I may prefer trying to trade up in both Round 1 & 2  targeting BTJ & XL.  We could likely keep our 2025 1st.  Part with both 2025 2nd’s/player, 4th, 128

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

MHJ

Nabers

Odunze

BTJ

XL 

X.Worthy

AD Mitchell

Troy Franklin

J. Polk

McConkey

Roman Wilson

Ricky Pearsall

Tez Walker

Javon Baker

Keon Coleman

Malachi Corley

Jalen McMillan

Johnny Wilson

Malik Washington

Brendan Rice

Jamari Thrash

*Assume Jermaine Burton is off the Bills board

If 1 of those teams wants a QB next year / doesn’t get 1 they like this year…they could.

Cardinals should absolutely do it. Kyler is a bum. 

The Cardinals can get a QB anyway next year without dealing with us .., they will be picking in the Top 3 again 

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or they could just take Harrison themselves this year .., they got another 4-5 Top 100 picks 

Marvin Senior can step in like Archie Manning and tell Jr to hand the Cardinal jersey back to Goodell and walk off stage.

”My son will only play with Josh Allen” 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Main thing is we just have to get one who can play on the outside right away. Maybe that's #28 or maybe we move up to the top of the 2nd for a guy using the Vikings pick. 

I continue to think that trading up in rd1 is reckless. We just went through a team overhaul where we lost a number of starters and severely thinned our depth. There are still too many holes to fill on this roster to be going all in like that.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think you’d have to add to that to move up enough for any of them, unless one of them drops to the 9 range

17 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I think you’d have to add to that to move up enough for any of them, unless one of them drops to the 9 range

They really have to drop to 8 or 9 for even a plausible expensive trade up. Everything else is fantasy land or an absurd price that would be crippling. 

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

MHJ

Nabers

Odunze

BTJ

XL 

X.Worthy

AD Mitchell

Troy Franklin

McConkey

J. Polk

Roman Wilson

Ricky Pearsall

Tez Walker

Javon Baker

Keon Coleman

Malachi Corley

Jalen McMillan

Johnny Wilson

Malik Washington

Brendan Rice

Jamari Thrash

Nice list buddy, I agree with you on pretty much everything outside of a receiver or two.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it has to be Brian Thomas Jr.

The Bills, I believe, want Kincaid to be the number one option so a true #1 WR- while nice- is not completely necessary.

What the bills are missing is an explosive vertical threat that can get off press and stretch the field opening up the rest of the field.  That is BTJ.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

The Bills, I believe, want Kincaid to be the number one option so a true #1 WR- while nice- is not completely necessary.

What the bills are missing is an explosive vertical threat that can get off press and stretch the field opening up the rest of the field.  That is BTJ.

I concur. He fit Josh's style so well too.

43 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

It's trade up for BTJ, if they can't swing a trade up,  then it will be trade down IMO