2024 WR Draft Class

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think we should expect a small move up.  They've done it the last couple of years now.  And if going WR you have to think after 4 go and the draft gets into the 20s the FO will get nervous - and rightfully so.  And as you mention the possibility of KC moving up (or Carolina) needs to be considered.

Bills hop the Cowboys Part III

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think we should expect a small move up.  They've done it the last couple of years now.  And if going WR you have to think after 4 go and the draft gets into the 20s the FO will get nervous - and rightfully so.  And as you mention the possibility of KC moving up (or Carolina) needs to be considered.

Expect a maximum move up of 2 spots for their 4th … like the last couple of years you mention ..

3 minutes ago, Process said:

4.21???? Dude just made himself millions in those 40 seconds. 

He's growing on me.  Returns punts too.  A bit worried he wasn't the #1 at texas, but, Cooke wasn't the #1 at UGA either I guess.  How did Texas ever lose with him and Mitchell at WR?

6 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Yet they felt the need to jump us all the same 🤷

They jumped a number of teams not just the Bills...including Denver which did draft a wide receiver in that round.

5 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

He's growing on me.  Returns punts too.  A bit worried he wasn't the #1 at texas, but, Cooke wasn't the #1 at UGA either I guess.  How did Texas ever lose with him and Mitchell at WR?

What has you saying "he wasn't #1"?

Adonai Mitchell in 2023 - 55 receptions for 845 yards and 11 TDs

Xavier Worthy in 2023 - 75 receptions for 1,014 yards and 5 TDs

If you want to say he wasn't a true Outside WR that just stayed on the boundary, that's fair. I do have concerns with only being used 60% of the time on the Outside, in conjunction with his diminutive build. However, considering he just proved to be the fastest timed WR EVER - I'm now more willing to take the risk.

But when it comes to usage, he was the #1.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

5 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

One thing I like that cover1 pointed out is he was productive since his freshman year. He mentions in his Combine interview taking a bubble screen 70 yards to the house against Oklahoma first play of the game his first year.

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think this is likely as well. But only if their guy is still there and around what pick. If it’s pick 24 and Thomas or Mitchell (whoever their guy is) is still there then you make a move. If it’s looking like those guys are gone by 20, you may have to give up too much to get there. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

One thing I like that cover1 pointed out is he was productive since his freshman year. He mentions in his Combine interview taking a bubble screen 70 yards to the house against Oklahoma first play of the game his first year.

You know who else scored first touch as a true frosh?!?

Sammy Watkins 😱

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Okay, I want Worthy now.

He’s not a pure burner either, he’s a legit WR.

He reminds me a lot of Jameson Williams to my untrained naked eye.  Minus the ACL tear.  I'm more in the let's draft a true outside WR camp but it would be fun watching him catch all the WR screens Brady loves to call.

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He reminds me a lot of Jameson Williams to my untrained naked eye.  Minus the ACL tear.  I'm more in the let's draft a true outside WR camp but it would be fun watching him catch all the WR screens Brady loves to call.

Agreed. I've been against him through the process because he didn't have True Outside usage in College and is a really small build.

However....

Him being not only fast, but being THE fastest recorded WR in Combine history (combined with Troy Franklin showing that he actually doesn't have close to matching speed, as I thought) - that changes things for me and makes me more open to more of a projection (just for him and that kind of speed though, not McConkey).

That said, Brian Thomas Jr. would still be my first choice outside of Marvin Harrison Jr., Malik Nabers, and Rome Odunze (who will be long gone).

• Like (+1) 1

Ladd will replace Gabe.  Ladds ceiling is #1 WR IMO

Ladd, Diggs, Shakir....we add a burner in draft, we add WR in FA, and we restructure Hardy. 

Thats my prediction today

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

People might not like McConkey at 28, but what do they know about him?  He runs a 4.4, he catches everything, he has been ultra productive, and he runs crisp routes.

15.4 yards per reception, and YAC- that is what the Bills need!

Look, McConkey is my 6th rated WR in this draft, but 5 stellar WR will be selected before Buffalo.  And no way in hell do I want McConkey to slip to the Chefs.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

right now, Im guessing Thomas and Mitchell are long gone by our pick.  Im calling it now.  Ladd McConkey at 28

Thomas could be gone. Worthy could be gone. Thomas, Worthy, and Mitchell? I doubt it. I find it very hard to believe we'll only have a shot at the 7th WR in the Draft. Odds are probably pretty good we'll move up a few picks from 28. 

McConkey is 5'11", 185, and has a 36" vert (Worthy had a 41" at 6'1", for example).

He doesn't have the measurements that scream True Outside WR in the NFL. His weaknesses from NFL.com also don't fit on the Outside:

- Modest play strength could create issues in beating press.

- Alarming number of deep ball-tracking drops in 2022.

We'll have a shot at the 5th WR. We can definitely land the 6th WR. McConkey isn't a great fit for us and will be, at best, the 7th WR off the board from NFL teams. And personally, I have him no higher than my 8th guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Thomas could be gone. Worthy could be gone. Thomas, Worthy, and Mitchell? I doubt it. I find it very hard to believe we'll only have a shot at the 7th WR in the Draft. Odds are probably pretty good we'll move up a few picks from 28. 

McConkey is 6'0", 185, and has a 36" vert (Worthy had a 41" at 6'1", for example).

He doesn't have the measurements that scream True Outside WR in the NFL. His weaknesses from NFL.com also don't fit on the Outside:

We'll have a shot at the 5th WR. We can definitely land the 6th WR. McConkey isn't a great fit for us and will be, at best, the 7th WR off the board from NFL teams. And personally, I have him no higher than my 8th guy.

Scouts have Ladd rated much higher than you and NFL.com.  Fact

Franklin and Coleman blew their combine, and both will slip to day 2 IMO

36" is no joke at WR.  Its not elite, but 6' jumping 3 feet is a big target

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Scouts have Ladd rated much higher than you and NFL.com.  Fact

Franklin and Coleman blew their combine, and both will slip to day 2 IMO

I don't have Franklin or Coleman as going before McConkey after today. 

I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about Brian Thomas Jr., Xavier Worthy, and Adonai Mitchell as 4, 5, and 6. If you think after today that McConkey will go higher than any of them - you're crazy.

Ian Rappaport spoke to an exec who told him there's a chance Worthy may even jump Thomas after today as WR4. That would make Thomas and Mitchell no less than WR5 and WR6. 

And I predict we'll be at worst taking the 6th WR off the board, if not the 5th.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

People might not like McConkey at 28, but what do they know about him?  He runs a 4.4, he catches everything, he has been ultra productive, and he runs crisp routes.

I like McConkey. I don't like him for the Bills because I think he is a slot at the next level. I think his ceiling is to become basically a #1 receiver from the slot a la Cooper Kupp. But even compared to Kupp he is 3 inches shorter, 20 pounds lighter, his arms are over an inch shorter and his hands are smaller.

I am not saying he isn't a guy who can take snaps out wide, of course he can and modern NFL offenses are much more creative anyway and move guys around the formation and you can use him in lots of quick game and let him make plays after the catch. But I don't think he is ever going to be a true outside receiver who can take on press coverage and beat the best corners in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't have Franklin or Coleman above McConkey after today. 

I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about Brian Thomas Jr., Xavier Worthy, and Adonai Mitchell as 4, 5, and 6. If you think after today that McConkey will go higher than any of them - that's crazy.

Adonai is whom I realistically most want the Bills to draft.  Harrison-Nabers-Odunze-Adonai- Thomas- Ladd is my board.  That makes Ladd the 6th WR off board.,  I like Worthy, but I much prefer Ladd due to better hands and route running, production, size,and burner speed(not as fast as Worthy, but 4.4 will take the top off).  Ladd is a much more complete, NFL ready player IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ian Rappaport spoke to an exec who told him there's a chance Worthy may even jump Thomas after today as WR4. That would make Thomas and Mitchell no less than WR5 and WR6. 

As I said yesterday even before the Combine I found one well respected guy who had Worthy as WR4. I do not think it is crazy that he is the 4th off the board. Does sort of depend on the team though. Because I am not sure he is Trent Baulke's type. Trent likes BIG. So if Jacksonville are the 4th receiver team it won't be Worthy. If Dallas are... well they like speed he is in play there. There is even part of me that wonders about Miami. I don't think they are in the receiver market generally.... but they love track speed. Would they say "screw the OL we are gonna add Worthy to Hill and Waddle, now try and stop us"? Kansas City I can imagine loving him too. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Adonai is whom I realistically most want the Bills to draft.  Harrison-Nabers-Odunze-Adonai- Thomas- Ladd is my board.  That makes Ladd the 6th WR off board.,  I like Worthy, but I much prefer Ladd due to better hands and route running, production, size,and burner speed(not as fast as Worthy, but 4.4 will take the top off).  Ladd is a much more complete, NFL ready player IMO

Ladd McConkey:

Height - 5'11" 

Weight - 185 lbs.

Arm - 30.25 

Hand - 8.62

Wingspan - 72

Xavier Worthy:

Height - 5'11"

Weight - 165 lbs.

Arm - 31.12

Hand - 8.75

Wingspan - 74.24

So... 20 lbs? Everything else is either the same or better in Worthy's Case. 

Much more complete player? Based on what? It's not on production:

Ladd McConkey:

2023 stats - 30 catches, 478 yds, 2 TDs

Career stats - 119 catches, 1687 yards, 14 TDs

Xavier Worthy:

2023 states - 75 catches, 1014 yards, 5 TDS

Career stats - 197 catches, 2755 yards, 26 TDs

Should I go on? I think I will:

Ladd McConkey:

40 Time: 4.39

10 Split: 1.52

Vertical: 36 

Broad: 10'1"

Xavier Worthy:

40 Time: 4.21

10 Split: 1.49

Vertical: 41 

Broad: 10'11"

Whatever your personal rankings are, the fact remains that McConkey will not be picked before Worthy.

I see almost no chance that McConkey is above Thomas, Worthy, or Mitchell. And we'll have an opportunity to draft either WR5 or WR6.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That said, Brian Thomas Jr. would still be my first choice outside of Marvin Harrison Jr., Malik Nabers, and Rome Odunze (who will be long gone).

I heard Odunze's teammates didn't go to his birthday party.  This class is loaded.  If there's ever a year to double dip at WR in the first three rounds this is it.  

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ladd McConkey:

Height - 5'11" 

Weight - 185 lbs.

Arm - 30.25 

Hand - 8.62

Wingspan - 72

Xavier Worthy:

Height - 5'11"

Weight - 165 lbs.

Arm - 31.12

Hand - 8.75

Wingspan - 74.24

So... 20 lbs? Everything else is either the same or better in Worthy's Case. 

Much more complete player? Based on what? It's not on production:

Ladd McConkey:

2023 stats - 30 catches, 478 yds, 2 TDs

Career stats - 119 catches, 1687 yards, 14 TDs

Xavier Worthy:

2023 states - 75 catches, 1014 yards, 5 TDS

Career stats - 197 catches, 2755 yards, 26 TDs

Should I go on? I think I will:

Ladd McConkey:

40 Time: 4.39

10 Split: 1.52

Vertical: 36 

Broad: 10'1"

Xavier Worthy:

40 Time: 4.21

10 Split: 1.49

Vertical: 41 

Broad: 10'11"

Whatever your personal rankings are, the fact remains that McConkey will not be picked before Worthy.

I see very little chance that McConkey is any higher than 7th WR off the board. And we'll have an opportunity to draft either WR5 or WR6.

Ha I was about to say I wouldn't say zero chance Ladd goes before Worthy but you have edited in the meantime. I think it is more likely Worthy goes first of the two because someone will fall for that speed but it isn't zero chance they go the other way around. I actually have a higher tape grade on McConkey and wouldn't shock me if some teams do too but it just takes one GM to look at that speed and say "that is for me."

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha I was about to say I wouldn't say zero chance Ladd goes before Worthy but you have edited in the meantime. I think it is more likely Worthy goes first of the two because someone will fall for that speed but it isn't zero chance they go the other way around. I actually have a higher tape grade on McConkey and wouldn't shock me if some teams do too but it just takes one GM to look at that speed and say "that is for me."

I've learned to chill on the "zero chance" on things because there's always someone that says "nothing is totally impossible". But it's about as close as it gets to zero for me on McConkey going before Worthy.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Pretty spot on although I think you could flip flop Thomas and Adonai depending on which weekday it is😆. But despite age a dark horse kind of settle for pick at 28 would be Xavier Leggett. I think he has a higher ceiling as a pro than AJ Brown and that is worth the 28th pick to me. I am also cool with a trade up for Thomas and possibly Adonai.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

At what cost? Is Thomas vs an Adori Mitchell and say a DT Jordan Jefferson? As to me the two worth more than the one as to move up to get Thomas likely cost us our 4th.  

The Bills’ 1st and 4th would maybe get them up 2 spots.  Their 1st and 3rd might move them up to pick 23.  

I just don’t see a trade up this year.  FA is yet to start, maybe they can re-sign Daquan Jones or Tim Settle or Poona Ford and maybe AJ Epenesa, even if they can, they still need more DT and DE depth and should also find a S and take a shot at CB if Rasul Douglas isn’t back.  I know it is an offense driven league, but they have a LOT of holes on defense to address and little cap room to augment draft choices with free agents.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The Bills’ 1st and 4th would maybe get them up 2 spots.  Their 1st and 3rd might move them up to pick 23.  

I just don’t see a trade up this year.  FA is yet to start, maybe they can re-sign Daquan Jones or Tim Settle or Poona Ford and maybe AJ Epenesa, even if they can, they still need more DT and DE depth and should also find a S and take a shot at CB if Rasul Douglas isn’t back.  I know it is an offense driven league, but they have a LOT of holes on defense to address and little cap room to augment draft choices with free agents.

I agree with you on the holes but disagree about offensive driven league.

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I'm thinking a trade up could possibly include more picks from the 2025 draft, which could also be a year where the Bills may be able to hit free agency a little harder. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

For me this is how I see the top Receivers.

Harrison

Odunze

Nabors

Thomas jr

Mcconkey

Worthy

Mitchell

Coleman

Franklin

Lagette

I was looking more into Worthy and aside from his elite athleticism, he’s a much better route runner than I originally thought and what I also like about him is that he has always had good consistent production even as a freshman.

I think he’s a gamer.   He may struggle against physical press coverage on the boundary.  Whoever drafts him should often look to use him in motion sort of like what Miami does with Tyreek so that he avoids those situations.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am no longer so insistant upon WR in the 1st round.

Granted if Thomas Jr slides fantastic you take him there, but at this moment I think there's not a terrible chance that there are 4-5 guys you rank closely as immediate #2 WR starters at the 28th pick and I can envision trading back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I heard Odunze's teammates didn't go to his birthday party.  This class is loaded.  If there's ever a year to double dip at WR in the first three rounds this is it.  

Beane should definitely consider it, and he absolutely has to come away with two in the top four rounds. Upgrade the WR room for the best QB in franchise history, and grab that ring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I am no longer so insistant upon WR in the 1st round.

Granted if Thomas Jr slides fantastic you take him there, but at this moment I think there's not a terrible chance that there are 4-5 guys you rank closely as immediate #2 WR starters at the 28th pick and I can envision trading back. 

I would add AD Mitchell in the first. That being said, if I can get a Tez Walker in the 2nd I am cool with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

McConkey is 5'11", 185, and has a 36" vert (Worthy had a 41" at 6'1", for example).

I’m not pounding the table for the Bills to take McConkey, but Worthy measured in at 5’11 1/4” and 165 - same height as McConkey, but McConkey weighs 21 lbs more.

Really, neither of them fill the role that Davis played, but both of them are likely better than Davis.  I know Worthy is super fast, but he is SO slight…

Mitchell proved he is plenty fast and so did Legette - both considerably bigger and stronger, they would each fit the outside role.  Worthy, Mitchell and Legette on the board, who would you take if you were BB?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Screenshot_20240303-060211.png

McConkey is an absolute route running master, Shakir is not in that class.  I’m not dissing Shakir, but I think McConkey is going to be very good - just doesn’t fill the hole the Bills have outside, but then neither does Worthy.

There are more than 10 receivers in the draft that could really help the Bills, but not as many that will play outside where Davis played.  I think we can discount Coleman and Franklin to the Bills round 1, but Mitchell and Legette probably fit that role.

• Like (+1) 1