2024 WR Draft Class

6 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

On the Falcons:

Pitts - top 10 pick, 53 catches, 667 yds and 3 tds

1 td in his "great" 1000 yard year

Smith - 3rd pick, 50 catches, 582 yds and 3 tds

He may never live up to expectations, but just as bad weather conditions can level the playing field, an inadequate QB can end up limiting the potential of an elite talent.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I would even potentially move up 6 to 8 spots to secure Thomas. I think he's the perfect match for Allen's style.

Yeah we may need to jump the Bengals depending on what they do with Boyd or Higgins. 

That’s as far as I envision Beane moving up realistically 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I said that he had the second highest yardage total of any rookie TE ever. Where’s the lie?

You said can’t miss guys don’t miss.

I proved you wrong.

You then said modern scouting has become infallible.

I proved you wrong.

You then shifted to top 10 scouting being infallible.

I proved you wrong.

You then changed the definition of “miss”.

But you’re right, we should trade half our team and draft picks for two years because Harrison can’t miss.

Edited by 4merper4mer

21 minutes ago, DJB said:

Yeah we may need to jump the Bengals depending on what they do with Boyd or Higgins. 

Yeah the moving into the top 10 talk is cool when you're playing Madden.... But in reality that talk is whack as crack 😂😆😂

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You said can’t miss guys don’t miss.

I proved you wrong.

You then said modern scouting has become infallible.

I proved you wrong.

You then shifted to top 10 scouting being infallible.

I proved you wrong.

You then changed the definition of “miss”.

But you’re right, we should trade half our team and draft picks for two years because Harrison can’t miss.

Lol, what? You didn’t prove anything other than you asked the wrong questions. You asked questions and got factual answers dispelling the narrative you were trying to push through. You then declared victory 😂😂

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, what? You didn’t prove anything other than you asked the wrong questions. You asked questions and got factual answers dispelling the narrative you were trying to push through. You then declared victory 😂😂

Did you not say the draftniks are now impervious?  Let’s loop back after we’re done watching Trubisky win another Super Bowl for the Bears.

2 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

On the Falcons:

Pitts - top 10 pick, 53 catches, 667 yds and 3 tds

1 td in his "great" 1000 yard year

Smith - 3rd pick, 50 catches, 582 yds and 3 tds

I live in Atlanta.  If they get a real QB you should see an explosion of production from Pitts and London. 

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Did you not say the draftniks are now impervious?  Let’s loop back after we’re done watching Trubisky win another Super Bowl for the Bears.

I believe that there is virtually ZERO risk in can’t miss guys. MHJ is that. Jalen Reagor isn’t his comp 😂😂. You know that. Ja’Mar Chase is probably the closest. Calvin, Fitz, Julio and AJ Green are the only others that I can think of thought of like him.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Who said he was can’t miss? He was a flawed prospect with good tools. The same as Josh, Mahomes and Darnold.

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe that there is virtually ZERO risk in can’t miss guys. MHJ is that. Jalen Reagor isn’t his comp 😂😂. You know that. Ja’Mar Chase is probably the closest. Calvin, Fitz, Julio and AJ Green are the only others that I can think of thought of like him.

Who said he was can’t miss? He was a flawed prospect with good tools. The same as Josh, Mahomes and Darnold.

I never made a comp of Harrison to Raegor.  The point was that Raegor, Ruggs and Jeudy were all taken before Justin Jefferson meaning the experts get it wrong sometimes.

If you’re putting a guy in the HOF before his career starts, you may turn out correct. Or maybe not. Emphatically stating that nothing else can happen is something that has been proven wrong over and over again in sports, financial markets, weather forecasting and world history.  But you be you I guess.

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I never made a comp of Harrison to Raegor.  The point was that Raegor, Ruggs and Jeudy were all taken before Justin Jefferson meaning the experts get it wrong sometimes.

If you’re putting a guy in the HOF before his career starts, you may turn out correct. Or maybe not. Emphatically stating that nothing else can happen is something that has been proven wrong over and over again in sports, financial markets, weather forecasting and world history.  But you be you I guess.

I’m not putting him right in the HOF. I believe that his floor is Amari Cooper. That’s what makes him such an incredible prospect. His ceiling is one of the best ever. His floor is a top 8(ish) WR. That’s why he’s different.

Again, they aren’t going to be able to go get him. I would support it though if they did. I think that would put them over the top. There are other moves that could work out as well obviously. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not putting him right in the HOF. I believe that his floor is Amari Cooper. That’s what makes him such an incredible prospect. His ceiling is one of the best ever. His floor is a top 8(ish) WR. That’s why he’s different.

Again, they aren’t going to be able to go get him. I would support it though if they did. I think that would t them over the top. There are other moves that could work out as well obviously. 

Well if you have Amari Cooper in the top 8 ish that is……interesting.

16 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Well if you have Amari Cooper in the top 8 ish that is……interesting.

He had 1,250 yards. He averages about 1,000 yards and 6 TDs with spotty QB play. Maybe he’s top 12 but you get the point. At his floor, Cooper is better than more than 1/2 of the team’s top WR. 

4 hours ago, DJB said:

I can’t see the Bengals taking WR in round 1.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:12 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

I don’t think he’ll be back next season.  Too much cap benefit to moving on especially if they retain Hines after a contract restructure.

I do believe Beane will draft a 2nd WR in the 5th (we have 2 5th rd picks), but if they like Shorter and release Harty maybe they sign a cheap vet instead. 

harty was easy whipping bou this year, but flat out give me him over freakin Hines all day..... especially if they get input from Brady that he thinks he can scheme him. dude was completely invisible with Dorksey, we saw a pulse from him after the change. not saying hes guaranteed dynamic, but would give him 2nd chance if brady gives approval nod

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

harty was easy whipping bou this year, but flat out give me him over freakin Hines all day..... especially if they get input from Brady that he thinks he can scheme him. dude was completely invisible with Dorksey, we saw a pulse from him after the change. not saying hes guaranteed dynamic, but would give him 2nd chance if brady gives approval nod

did you forget that Hines had 2 KR TD's in the same game?  He has more pure speed (or had) than Harty who is more of a quickness in small spaces type

On 2/11/2024 at 2:36 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is a good point and further points to the ridiculousness of going WR in 2 or all 3 of the first picks - like many are doing here.

My focus has been on securing a starting WR in Round 1 and addressing the starting and rotational holes we have elsewhere this season.

But it goes deeper than just this year. As you pointed out, past this season - we only have Connor McGovern and O'Cyrus Torrence under contract.

While i'd expect an extension for Dion Dawkins, we'll need a new Center and while Spencer Brown was better last season, I'm not sure I'm ready to sign him up for an extension immediately. And behind Dawkins and Brown, we just have Ryan Van Demark, Tommy Doyle (who was on IR all last season and will be a FA himself next year).

So long story short, on top of starting holes at DE, DT (and all rotating DT's as Oliver is the only one under contract), S (possibly two if we also move on from Poyer) - we also need to think about the O-Line for this season and especially next.

We cannot afford to double down on WR in the first two Rounds and probably not even in Round 3. If we go WR Round 1 as expected, Round 4 should be the earliest we think of a double dip.

And there's photos of Josh and his dad decked out in Patriots jerseys at a Pats game. 

That all goes out the window when it becomes your job.

Would just like to clarify for my own sanity, they were Brady*** jerseys. Seemingly the same thing except Josh is a QB born in '96.

Very forgivable, and i might be concerned about a QB his age growing up NOT idolizing the man.  He has atoned for these sins, VIVA LA JOSH!!

20 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

did you forget that Hines had 2 KR TD's in the same game?  He has more pure speed (or had) than Harty who is more of a quickness in small spaces type

In my humble opinion both guys should be sent packing.  Both guys are primarily kick returners and to their credit, both guys gave the Bills a lift one game each over the last two seasons.  However, one game each isn't worthy 4-5 million.  Harty gave us last year 15 catches for 150 yards and 1 TD.  We can replace that production from a practice squad player.  Hines gave us mostly receiving yards with 30 catches for 241 and 1 TD (plus 33 yards rushing on 24 attempts - awful).  Again this is easily replaced production.  Ty Johnson gave us nearly 200 yards from scrimmage in 10 games as a 3rd stringer for 1/5 the cost.  

The only reason I think they’ll bring Hines back is our lack of backs in the organization that know the offense.  Re-sign Johnson as the power back and re-sign Hines as the speed back & kick returner (depending on his knee) at a greatly reduced cap hit and Beane will call it a day.  Draft 2 WRs, one early and one late to go with Diggs, Shakir and maybe Shorter.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

hes coming off brutal injury at a position that ages like milk.... KR is basically a non-existent position starting this year (had already been trending that way).  im not even saying retain harty at all cost, but i am saying i want nothing to do with hines and his contract, and am open to bradys input on deonte in HIS offense, as we saw what dorsey did to our entire offense. dude rubber band castrated josh allen and j-cook, took all of 1 week to change what we saw months of

• Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Find a way:

1 of  Nabers / Oduze 

OR   

1 of Thomas Jr / Franklin / Mitchell    &    1 of  Legette / Worthy / Wilson / Baker / Walker / Burton / Polk / Rice 

There is no way for Nabers/Odunze. It's possible they're both gone by Pick 6. Practically a sure thing both will be gone by Pick 12 at the latest.

It would simply cost too much to get that high and would almost definitely involve a 1st next year. They're great, but I don't see Beane moving two 1st's for anyone.

You are almost 100% guaranteed to get one of the WR's on your next list. But as I see it, two of them is only happening in the following scenarios:

1.) We don't spend money on a veteran FA like Hollywood Brown. If we do, a 2nd Drafted WR would be behind Diggs (he's not going anywhere), the 1st WR we Draft, Shakir, Kincaid, and the Brown level vet in targets.

You probably don't spend a Day 2 pick on a guy who's probably going to be 5th in the pecking order of targets. You definitely don't with someone who will be 6th - especially with the wide array of holes we have to fill.

and 

2a.) We trade down from 28 and pick up another 2nd or 3rd, so we have 4 picks by the end of Day 2, instead of 3. But in that scenario, you're def not getting Thomas Jr. and probably not Franklin either. It would be two from the second list.

or

2b.) We trade up from Round 4 to get someone on the bottom of that 2nd list that fell to the late 3rd or early 4th. Allowing us to still get 2 starters at other positions before going back to WR.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

In my humble opinion both guys should be sent packing.  Both guys are primarily kick returners and to their credit, both guys gave the Bills a lift one game each over the last two seasons.  However, one game each isn't worthy 4-5 million.  Harty gave us last year 15 catches for 150 yards and 1 TD.  We can replace that production from a practice squad player.  Hines gave us mostly receiving yards with 30 catches for 241 and 1 TD (plus 33 yards rushing on 24 attempts - awful).  Again this is easily replaced production.  Ty Johnson gave us nearly 200 yards from scrimmage in 10 games as a 3rd stringer for 1/5 the cost.  

The only reason I think they’ll bring Hines back is our lack of backs in the organization that know the offense.  Re-sign Johnson as the power back and re-sign Hines as the speed back & kick returner (depending on his knee) at a greatly reduced cap hit and Beane will call it a day.  Draft 2 WRs, one early and one late to go with Diggs, Shakir and maybe Shorter.  

Don't quote me on this but I could have sworn i heard that Hines will be back next year, he filed something with his lawyer stating he wouldn't come after the Bills for money (I believe a greivance or something along those lines were filed since he was injured)  that the Bills can't just cut him outright but he'll be given a chance to make the team in training camp, whther they cut him after that is their right or not so he will be given a chance to still make the team.

11 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

hes coming off brutal injury at a position that ages like milk.... KR is basically a non-existent position starting this year (had already been trending that way).  im not even saying retain harty at all cost, but i am saying i want nothing to do with hines and his contract, and am open to bradys input on deonte in HIS offense, as we saw what dorsey did to our entire offense. dude rubber band castrated josh allen and j-cook, took all of 1 week to change what we saw months of

I covered the reasons in another thread, but it's not going to happen. I'd imagine he takes a paycut. But Hines is going to get Training Camp to show whether or not he's still got it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sign me up for Jermaine Burton. He looks like a DJ Moore clone and that is good enough for me. Just not sure if he is a complete head case or not with all the teams he has bounced around on but he looks to be a plug and play wr that could make an immediate impact for us next year and you might be able to land him in the second round. 

3 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Sign me up for Jermaine Burton. He looks like a DJ Moore clone and that is good enough for me. Just not sure if he is a complete head case or not with all the teams he has bounced around on but he looks to be a plug and play wr that could make an immediate impact for us next year and you might be able to land him in the second round. 

Wouldn't mind him in the 3rd or 4th rd

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Wouldn't mind him in the 3rd or 4th rd

I’m not sure he will make it that far but wr class is deep so who knows. If he checks out as someone that can fit in our locker room and culture, he would be a tremendous talent to add. I like him a lot because he appears ready to play and could make an immediate impact which would be worth a 2nd in my mind, especially since it would be a late second round pick. 

7 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I’m not sure he will make it that far but wr class is deep so who knows. If he checks out as someone that can fit in our locker room and culture, he would be a tremendous talent to add. I like him a lot because he appears ready to play and could make an immediate impact which would be worth a 2nd in my mind, especially since it would be a late second round pick. 

I wouldn't take him in the 2nd but do like him as a player and he very well can be a 3rd Rd pk. Like u said this yrs class is loaded. Even last yr class there was still good Wrs in the 3rd like Tank Dell. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Burton is an under appreciated WR. The Bama passing offense was a mess this year and so he did not collect the numbers others did. He had 3 touchdowns in the Texas game and all but one got called back because of offensive penalties. He has phenomenal hands - I haven’t seen him drop a pass this year. He is tough and willing to take hits to make the play like the TD he had against Tennessee. And he is an explosive athlete who can stretch the field from out wide well (over 20 ypc this season).

I don’t think he is as explosive as DJ Moore, but I think he is a better version of Marvin Mims who went at the end of the second last year. He seems to be crowded out by other prospects among the talking heads but I think he is an early round 2 WR talent wise you may be able to get later. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Well, I can see that, but also, we have some spare picks late in the draft (see below). Might be worth a flier over a Luke Tenuta or a Dez Lewis... Just sayin'.

Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 8.50.20 AM.png

Figured we should probably take this to the WR thread. :thumbsup: I'm all for us using two early picks, and even a late round pick on WR this year. That group truly needs an overhaul and infusion of youth. There's a guy that's in that 5th Round range I'm keeping an eye on and see as a sleeper. Joshua Cephus of UTSA. The young man is 6'3" and about 185lbs. Good with contested catches, flashes some speed and RAC ability in the open field, and he's got a little twitch to his game that gets him separation on quick breaking routes. His route tree can use some developing and he has dropped a pass here or there, but he's also made some pretty spectacular plays on occasion and would be an asset in the red zone. Could be worth a shot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Figured we should probably take this to the WR thread. :thumbsup: I'm all for us using two early picks, and even a late round pick on WR this year. That group truly needs an overhaul and infusion of youth. There's a guy that's in that 5th Round range I'm keeping an eye on and see as a sleeper. Joshua Cephus of UTSA. The young man is 6'3" and about 185lbs. Good with contested catches, flashes some speed and RAC ability in the open field, and he's got a little twitch to his game that gets him separation on quick breaking routes. His route tree can use some developing and he has dropped a pass here or there, but he's also made some pretty spectacular plays on occasion and would be an asset in the red zone. Could be worth a shot. 

Yeah, at the rate we're going, that's probably a good call. I'm working up some notes that I'll post over there in a bit.

I've heard Cephus' name come up in a couple of the reports I've been going through, but I hadn't watched any highlights. Definitely has the height and burst you like to see. A little stiff in the hips. Gives me some Gabe Davis vibes, which--for a late round flier--isn't a negative. I'll have to dig more into him. Thanks for the share!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m totally in the Troy Franklin camp

But

We cannot deny that we have a huge problem forming on the defensive line

What wide receiver would be available in the second if they ended up going defensive line in the first

It’s not what I would do but it might be what beane will do

We’d probably have to trade up at least 10 spots in rd 2 to get a WR worthy of what we need.  Maybe 15-20

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I covered the reasons in another thread, but it's not going to happen. I'd imagine he takes a paycut. But Hines is going to get Training Camp to show whether or not he's still got it.

I mean it better be an appreciable pay cut

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m totally in the Troy Franklin camp

But

We cannot deny that we have a huge problem forming on the defensive line

What wide receiver would be available in the second if they ended up going defensive line in the first

It’s not what I would do but it might be what beane will do

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

We’d probably have to trade up at least 10 spots in rd 2 to get a WR worthy of what we need.  Maybe 15-20

One scenario I've been noodling on is this: 

In this scenario Beane has a list tier prospects that he considers "top end, would be the #1 on most teams almost immediately, will likely replace Diggs as a #1 sooner than later" and another tier that is "can start at #2, is going to need 2-3 years of seasoning before I think he's going to surpass Diggs"

If Tier 1 is empty by the low 20s, and there are 5-6 guys on Tier 2 I would not be upset if he trades back to top end of the 1st round (Carolina or another desperate teams wants a shot at a QB, someone like the Commanders or Titans has fallen in love with a prospect Beane is meh on) to rack up more picks and work on the D-line and S with multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

One scenario I've been noodling on is this: 

In this scenario Beane has a list tier prospects that he considers "top end, would be the #1 on most teams almost immediately, will likely replace Diggs as a #1 sooner than later" and another tier that is "can start at #2, is going to need 2-3 years of seasoning before I think he's going to surpass Diggs"

If Tier 1 is empty by the low 20s, and there are 5-6 guys on Tier 2 I would not be upset if he trades back to top end of the 1st round (Carolina or another desperate teams wants a shot at a QB, someone like the Commanders or Titans has fallen in love with a prospect Beane is meh on) to rack up more picks and work on the D-line and S with multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

Agreed.  The more I watch of the prospects, I’m not enamored with any of the WRs that will be there when we pick (I’m in the camp that thinks Thomas Jr and Troy Franklin will be gone by 28).  I view Mitchell, Coleman, Leggette, worthy, McConkey and the rest as rd 2 guys.  Problem being, I think all of those guys will be gone within the first 10 picks of rd 2. Trading down a few spots and getting more picks and options for maneuverability later in the draft makes a lot of sense (if Thomas and Franklin are gone). 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

We need to restock the wr position with some young, cheap talent. With the position being deep this year, I’m all for using 2 picks on wr in first 3-4 rounds and then taking a third in the later rounds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1