Brandon Beane Presser

Please merge if there is a topic already. 

First off, I’m a big Brandon Beane supporter, I went into watching his presser for the first time today thinking I’m excited to hear what Brandon Beane has to say about what his plan is and to get some truth on what he was disappointed with this year. I came away, thinking man he really took a defeatist attitude into next year, preparing fans for a year of the same or worse. I wanted to hear we have the best player on the planet quarterbacking our team so we’re gonna do everything in our power to get him what he needs so that we can win a Super Bowl next year because that is always the goal when Josh is our quarterback. I did not hear that. It wasn’t the Brandon Beane I normally appreciate. It was deflating and didn’t make me confident in him or McD for this offseason or next year. He doesn’t have to tell us his specific plan because he’s a good poker player but at least have that passion and that optimism to say we’re gonna win a Super Bowl sooner than later because we still have Josh Allen as our quarterback and my job as GM is going to be to give him everything he needs.

That being said a couple nuggets I did like are as followed:

- He seems to want to keep AJ epenesa but knows he’ll be expensive

- Shakir will be a big part of the offense next year

- He wants speed and started the process by picking up a futures contract with KJ Hamler

- I do NOT like how Beane has a tendency to build up players who underperformed (Diggs, Knox, McD lol) and undersell players who played awesome (Josh and Kincaid)

- He got me pumped with the idea of Bernard and Milano and the rise of Williams in year 2

- I don’t think we’re hurting as bad on defense as people think with the depth at LB and CB

- I like that Sean and Brandon report to Pegula separately but Beane needs to sack up and tell the truth (hopefully he is)

Overall, I trust Beane enough to know he’s putting in the work. I know he sees that the key to “not be sitting here this time of year” next season is getting more help for Josh. Just hope McD sees it the same way and isn’t needling Beane for more defensive toys early in the draft 

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not sure how much stock we can put in the presser for foreshadowing future FA signings, when he said much the same about how we have no money and then found hundreds of millions for Von, for example. He will go after players he thinks will make an immediate impact in free agency, I have little doubt! 

• Agree 1

Good summary, Beane always seems to have a decent grasp of things, but I’ll add a few thoughts. I’m good with most of what Beane says, and agree, but I’ll share a couple differing opinions. I’m with the OP that I’d like to hear a commitment to building around Allen. It worries we’ll be going heavy on defense again. It sounds insane, but I’m not convinced anyone in this organization truly appreciates the greatness of Josh Allen. Maybe it’s a case of being too close to a situation, but it seems like they don’t get it.

The comments that we need more speed players is one I’d frame differently as well. We need dependable receivers that Allen can count on, not necessarily speed guys. I want a number one with reliable hands who’s a good route runner. Speed guys aren’t the only options at receiver. In fact it can very difficult to find receivers with speed and good hands. Tyeeek Hill made everyone become too obsessed with speedy receivers. Lets hope we draft a receiver in the early rounds, rather than think we’re finding a late gem because the guy is fast. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Makes you wonder what difference Deandre Hopkins could've made on this team, or what we could've done with that Von Miller money.

I'm not saying going after Von was bad, especially at a time when we saw how critical it was to have a strong pass rush. But had our picks in the draft panned out, there wouldn't have been a need to pay a monster contract to a veteran on the downside of his career.

Even when this defense was ranked as high as it was, did people ever feel it was as game-changing or dominant as our defense was, for example, under Schwartz in 2014? I believe McDermott is a very capable defensive-minded coach, but the Bills are still missing something there.

Offensive line should still be a huge priority imo. Especially if the Bills plan to be a balanced unit that prioritizes running the ball, they'll need to keep investing in the line. Speed at WR is a must, so I'm glad he mentioned that. It's unlikely we find the next Tyreek Hill, but even a younger John Brown-type would be great.

Overall, they need to get younger at many levels. We know both of our amazing safeties are falling behind. But offense is still the priority to me. We've seen what a top ranked defense gets us, but it never amounts to much against top QBs. So instead let's support our own top QB & give him the best chance to succeed by outscoring opponents.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I didn't listen to it - but the loss to KC is still pretty fresh.  He's likely pretty gutted this week, just like all of us.  

This team IS in good shape going into next year.  The O-line is set. How many times have we been able to say that? We have Allen, and a good youthful core on offense w/ Cook, Shakir & Kincaid.

On defense, we may see the best LB corps in the JA era next year, with both Milano & Bernard playing, and if Williams can take a step. We're always good at CB, and have good players there.  The line should be okay if Oliver can keep up his great play.  Hopefully we sign Epenesa, and Von can be more impactful.

Safety is the area that needs addressing, but I'm sure we draft someone, and pick up a FA.

The team just has to stay a little healthier next year.  We're right there w/ the top teams in terms of talent.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I didn’t listen to the presser, but did he apologize to me personally for failing again this year?

I think I’m owed that. 

I believe you should have gotten your Incredible Edible delivery last week with a warmly worded hand-written card.  Let me check the tracking on that. Apologies for any delay or confusion. 

😋

• Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Success said:

I didn't listen to it - but the loss to KC is still pretty fresh.  He's likely pretty gutted this week, just like all of us.  

This team IS in good shape going into next year.  The O-line is set. How many times have we been able to say that? We have Allen, and a good youthful core on offense w/ Cook, Shakir & Kincaid.

On defense, we may see the best LB corps in the JA era next year, with both Milano & Bernard playing, and if Williams can take a step. We're always good at CB, and have good players there.  The line should be okay if Oliver can keep up his great play.  Hopefully we sign Epenesa, and Von can be more impactful.

Safety is the area that needs addressing, but I'm sure we draft someone, and pick up a FA.

The team just has to stay a little healthier next year.  We're right there w/ the top teams in terms of talent.

I would much rather sign Jones than Espenesa. For the money it might cost for Espenesa I would think we can be find someone more consistent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I watched the whole presser and I felt like Beane was distancing himself from McD quite a bit. My memory is a bit hazy, but in previous pressers I felt like he used a lot more “we, us” language and talked about the team as a collaboration between him and Sean. 

This presser, I felt like he was, consciously or not, really separating his part of the job from Sean’s. Not in a bad way or blaming way, but kind of putting Sean on island with certain things, and even including the job Sean was doing under his purview of “evaluation.”

May be an over read, but my money is on Beane surviving if Sean got canned next year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

First off, I’m a big Brandon Beane supporter, I went into watching his presser for the first time today thinking I’m excited to hear what Brandon Beane has to say about what his plan is and to get some truth on what he was disappointed with this year. I came away, thinking man he really took a defeatist attitude into next year, preparing fans for a year of the same or worse. I wanted to hear we have the best player on the planet quarterbacking our team so we’re gonna do everything in our power to get him what he needs so that we can win a Super Bowl next year because that is always the go and Josh is our quarterback. 

That's a great signal to send to other teams before the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Why do we have constant cap issues? This is the second year in a row we have no money. What is Beane doing?

Covid hit us at a bad time with our extensions. It was like a 30 million swing. With that said, the Von signing was wreckless knowing what Covids impact had on the cap

Edited by BillsFan2313
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's a great signal to send to other teams before the draft.

The Bills are high ratings.  Anyone watching the Bills, its obvious that every Bills WR, not named Shakir, cannot separate, chokes in big spots, and have a problem catching the football.  You don't have to be Einstein to realize the Bills are desperate for multiple, WR who can separate, step up, and catch a football.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Bills are high ratings.  Anyone watching the Bills, its obvious that every Bills WR, not named Shakir, cannot separate, chokes in big spots, and have a problem catching the football.  You don't have to be Einstein to realize the Bills are desperate for multiple, WR who can separate, step up, and catch a football.

True but you don't have to say it at a press conference to appease fans.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Haven’t written on the site in some time, but here I go… again…

(Imagine I just said a bunch of nice things about Sean McD… okay)

I hope Beane is distancing himself from McD because there is going to be a change of head coach.

Do I expect this to happen? No. And that’s what sucks as a fan right now. If feels painfully obvious to me that McD has peaked. His limitations as a coach fall below the heights of winning a Super Bowl. 

Beane is also to blame to a degree in not surrounding a franchise QB with weapons to match his skills. 

Allen himself had to apparently text the brain trust “Kincaid” on draft night last year. This shouldn’t be. Josh Allen shouldn’t have to tell an NFL GM and coach to give him talented weapons.

We may luck into a championship someday, but as a fan I’m getting desperate for a coach with enough of a brain and a killer instinct to maximize Allen’s talent and bring us a MF Super Bowl. Time is running out and fake punts aren’t the answer.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

We need dependable receivers that Allen can count on, not necessarily speed guys. I want a number one with reliable hands who’s a good route runner. Speed guys aren’t the only options at receiver. In fact it can very difficult to find receivers with speed and good hands. Tyeeek Hill made everyone become too obsessed with speedy receivers. Lets hope we draft a receiver in the early rounds, rather than think we’re finding a late gem because the guy is fast. 

Separation by any means to include a few quick separation guys.

4 hours ago, Success said:

D line needs some work… only have Oliver, Groot and Miller back … going to need to get creative with some cheap FAs but mainly in the draft … and I don’t want them spending a first on the D line unless it’s a can’t miss .,.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Neither did anything noteworthy in our divisional round loss to KC. 

Nor did Oliver. It was a tough game for the defense. AJ made some game changing plays this season but he disappears too often. Floyd got the sacks Von should’ve been getting. Great pick up by Beane. 

Edited by Breakout Squad

8 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

First off, I’m a big Brandon Beane supporter, I went into watching his presser for the first time today thinking I’m excited to hear what Brandon Beane has to say about what his plan is and to get some truth on what he was disappointed with this year. I came away, thinking man he really took a defeatist attitude into next year, preparing fans for a year of the same or worse. I wanted to hear we have the best player on the planet quarterbacking our team so we’re gonna do everything in our power to get him what he needs so that we can win a Super Bowl next year because that is always the goal when Josh is our quarterback. I did not hear that. It wasn’t the Brandon Beane I normally appreciate. It was deflating and didn’t make me confident in him or McD for this offseason or next year. He doesn’t have to tell us his specific plan because he’s a good poker player but at least have that passion and that optimism to say we’re gonna win a Super Bowl sooner than later because we still have Josh Allen as our quarterback and my job as GM is going to be to give him everything he needs.

Beane has stated he won't be seen on Main Street of free agency due to salary cap constraints.

Accordingly, he's not going to make dramatic statements about surrounding Josh with new weapons.

If Beane made a bold statement about getting new great things for Josh, he would be fibbing. That's not his style at all.

• Like (+1) 1

I have only just got around to watching it. Been hitting the draft stuff hard the past week so only just sat down and watched the presser. I didn't think he sounded defeatist in the slightest. Certainly not compared to last year's when he definitely did. I thought Beane was quite upbeat and realistic that this team is literally 3 or 4 plays a way and it is going to be small margins that is the difference between whether we can make those extra 3 or 4 plays or not.

The two things I liked most about what he said in terms of strategy and potential changes there:

1. We might not be able to keep five vet D Tackles we think can play - Halle-freaking-luja. Beane has thrown way too much cash at bad value vet D tackles. From Jordan Phillips to Vernon Butler to PooPoo Ford. They HAVE to find a guy there eventually who can play on a cheap deal. Ideally a day 3 pick they feel comfortable with in that rotation. 

2. We might have to sacrifice some depth to put the most competitive team around Josh. YES. We have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL, we have had for 3-4 years. That is part of why we can absorb so many key injuries the last two seasons and still win our division. The problem is that depth eventually comes at the cost of another potential difference maker or two. Tyrel Dodsons and Dane Jacksons might well make sure you can still be competitive down starters. But are you better with a bigger drop off at those spots and at defensive tackle and at guard or something than with an extra receiver who make a difference or an extra impactful defender? I'd take being slightly thinner in some spots next year if it is the difference between bringing in a good vet safety to partner with Poyer or an extra vet receiver to compliment Diggs and our shiny draft pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Things not as bad as a lot of outsiders might think …

But still some work to be done by Beane this offseason … number of depth players  needs to be replaced Kevin, in addition to the four starters … needs to be done on the cheap …

2022 Draft came at the right time with Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford all solidly contributing , and Elam and Spector still providing depth …

Imagine if he had of hit on Elam …still only 2 years in so hopefully there is still some improvement in some of these guys 

Edited by Aussie Joe

I don’t know what Beane is supposed to do given our cap situation. It’s entirely his fault and he should sound sheepish but he’s going to need to pull several rabbits out of his hat just to field a full roster next year. It’s made especially worse with the fact that the guys we’d ideally like cut to create space like Von, we can’t. We are no longer a few plays away. This team needs a reset year in the worst way. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Things not as bad as a lot of outsiders might think …

But still some work to be done by Beane this offseason … number of depth players  needs to be replaced Kevin, in addition to the four starters … needs to be done on the cheap …

2022 Draft came at the right time with Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford all solidly contributing , and Elam and Spector still providing depth …

Imagine if he had of hit on Elam …still only 2 years in so hopefully there is still some improvement in some of these guys 

This is why I am more encouraged than I was last year. They have some real contributors now on their rookie deals still. The 2022 draft with Cook, Bernard, Shakir and Benford suddenly looks really strong. 

Needs to hit another good class here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, Success said:

I like your points, but we need a speed WR, Safeties, and extend Jones and Epenesa.  I’d rather they cut  Miller at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.