Michael Lombardi on Pat Mcafee

major

He said teams today talk about winning but they don’t want to give someone the authority to build the culture that’s necessary to win. He said they like their own culture and don’t want to change. Is that us? Do we just like what we have? Change is hard and takes work. Lombardi said majority of teams are just content to stay how they are and not put into the work to win.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, major said:

He said teams today talk about winning but they don’t want to give someone the authority to build the culture that’s necessary to win. He said they like their own culture and don’t want to change. Is that us? Do we just like what we have? Change is hard and takes work. Lombardi said majority of teams are just content to stay how they are and not put into the work to win.

Consider the source. Lombardi was the GM of the Cleveland Browns from 2013-2014 and his son was the OC in Las Vegas until McDaniels was fired. He's salty. "If only they had given us the time, we could have shown 'em!"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

I think we're kind of soft when it comes to certain things.  I think they are extremely reluctant to move on from McDermott - it's almost like a family or something.  As long as we're winning division titles, they don't want to rock the boat.

To win it all, you sometimes have to be ruthless & uncompromising.  We're not like that.

But not every title-winner has been, either.  We might get lucky.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’ve been highly critical of the braintrust here, but I would never say they are content. I would say stubborn. McDermott had flaws, and coaching is sometimes instinctual. I would never say he isn’t trying to get better, but it does feel like they don’t want to rock the boat.  But they work their butts off, no doubt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, major said:

Listen, 95% of the league wants to be the Bills and emulate the Bills. Beane has had 3 people from his staff become GMs and a 4th interviewing. 

People need to start enjoying this ride. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I agree. I think the Pegula's are content with the mediocrity and not taking the next step to change our culture because firing McDermott has the potential to backfire and get you a worse coach and worse team culture. The Chargers fired Schottenheimer because he couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs and the Chargers regressed for the most part with Norv Turner. Because the Pegula's are already making money hand over fist with the currently company culture, which is winning to an extent, and because breaking McDermotts contract to go out and hire a more proven winner would eat into profits, I think the Pegula's are content to let McDermott continue pushing his failed team culture that cannot get the super bowl Bills fans deserve.

The Pegula's are not all in for winning. We have seen the Chargers go all in by firing a failed coach to bring in a new culture with Harbaugh that has a better track record than McDermott. We have seen the Patriots do it in the past when they fired Pete Carroll who kept losing in playoff games and bright in Belichick. We saw the Bucs do it with Dungy (who failed repeatedly in the playoffs) when they brought in Gruden who won a super bowl his first season. 

The Pegula's are becoming fat and lazy and don't want to really push a winning culture.

Edited by ProcessImproverMan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I agree. I think the Pegula's are content with the mediocrity and not taking the next step to change our culture because firing McDermott has the potential to backfire and get you a worse coach and worse team culture. The Chargers fired Schottenheimer because he couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs and the Chargers regressed for the most part with Norv Turner. Because the Pegula's are already making money hand over fist with the currently company culture, which is winning to an extent, and because breaking McDermotts contract to go out and hire a more proven winner would eat into profits, I think the Pegula's are content to let McDermott continue pushing his failed team culture that cannot get the super bowl Bills fans deserve. The Pegula's are not all in for winning. We have seen the Chargers go all in by firing a failed coach to bring in a new culture with Harbaugh that has a better track record than McDermott. We have seen the Patriots do it in the past when they fired Pete Carroll who kept losing in playoff games and bright in Belichick. We saw the Bucs do it with Dungy (who failed repeatedly in the playoffs) when they brought in Gruden who won a super bowl his first season. 

The Pegula's are becoming fat and lazy and don't want to really push a winning culture.

Pure speculation and conjecture above.

The TRUTH is that it is widely accepted around the entire NFL world that the Buffalo Bills organization and its culture is one of the best ones in the NFL, if not in ALL of pro sports in the US. Does that necessariliy translate to winning a championship? No. But the org is not some shoddy fly by night deal like you imply above. What McD and Beane have built is consdiered top tier around the league. And the idea that the Pegulas are "not in it for winning" doesnt wash, either. They invested a ton of money building what is consdered one of the best fitness centers in the NFL (https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-expect-world-class-sports-performance-center-to-enhance-their-game). They have laid out BIG contracts to free agents and to retain their own talent. Again...does that translate into winning? No. The Von contract is bad right now due ot his injuries. But its sure damn NOT for lack of trying. The effort to win is there. The MONEY is there. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, major said:

Humans being what we are…,  in any discipline there are only a few who don’t sit pat and truly are innovators, 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RkFast said:

The TRUTH is that it is widely accepted around the entire NFL world that the Buffalo Bills organization and its culture is one of the best ones in the NFL, if not in ALL of pro sports in the US. Does that necessariliy translate to winning a championship? No. But the org is not some shoddy fly by night deal like you imply above. What McD and Beane have built is consdiered top tier around the league.

I'd much rather have a cut throat win at all costs culture that crosses lines if need be to get a Super Bowl (like the Patriot way with Brady) seeing all the Patriots got was a slap on the wrist....Seems like we have guys who don't go as hard as they should at times to win and they are kept around due to misguided loyalty and "character" and this "family" environment the Pegula's want.  Dawkins runs his mouth alot but again got ran over on a key play in the post season to cause Allen to miss Shakir. Miller would have been cut under the Patriot way or pushed out a while ago. Alot of our defensive players seem to mail it in based on the crap play we saw again against KC. The team flat out quit against the Bengals last year. 

Give me head hunter types like the Rodney Harrison's who will make everyone play harder by going balls to the wall in practice and games. We lack that edge on defense and on the team. 

If money wasn't an issue, the Pegulas would dump McDermott and bring in Belichick who has gotten super bowls. Our way isn't working. 

Edited by ProcessImproverMan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

What is the no 1 goal of Pegula?

Is it winning the Championship?

Or is what he has now enough..? 

He may not want to risk the level of success he has now if that opens up potential for things to go off  the rails 

Look at the Sabres … the Bills are actually the favourite child since he acquired them … he knows things could be a lot worse because he lives  it everyday with the Sabres…

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

What is the no 1 goal of Pegula?

Is it winning the Championship?

Or is what he has now enough..? 

He may not want to risk the level of success he has now if that opens up potential for things to go off  the rails 

Look at the Sabres … the Bills are actually the favourite child since he acquired them 

What would be the incentive for an owner to want to win a championship? They make the same money either way and if you win then all over the players and coaches want more and more money. I think an owner just wants to put a competitive team on the field, just good enough for the fans not to go nuts and demand change. I think what we have now is an owner's dream scenario

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I'd much rather have a cut throat win at all costs culture that crosses lines if need be to get a Super Bowl (like the Patriot way with Brady)

So...you want to cheat. Yeah miss me on that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I'd much rather have a cut throat win at all costs culture that crosses lines if need be to get a Super Bowl (like the Patriot way with Brady) seeing all the Patriots got was a slap on the wrist....Seems like we have guys who don't go as hard as they should at times to win and they are kept around due to misguided loyalty and "character" and this "family" environment the Pegula's want.  Dawkins runs his mouth alot but again got ran over on a key play in the post season to cause Allen to miss Shakir. Miller would have been cut under the Patriot way or pushed out a while ago. Alot of our defensive players seem to mail it in based on the crap play we saw again against KC. The team flat out quit against the Bengals last year. 

Give me head hunter types like the Rodney Harrison's who will make everyone play harder by going balls to the wall in practice and games. We lack that edge on defense and on the team. 

If money wasn't an issue, the Pegulas would dump McDermott and bring in Belichick who has gotten super bowls. Our way isn't working. 

I doubt money is an issue with the Bills or any NFL team. NFL teams = cash cow. Terry and Kim purchased the team for 1.4 billion. This is what the Bills are worth today.

The franchise value of the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League increased from 2002 to 2023. In 2023, the franchise value came to 3.7 billion U.S. dollars. The Buffalo Bills are owned by Terry and Kim Pegula.

1 minute ago, RkFast said:

So...you want to cheat. Yeah miss me on that. 

Patriots still have their rings. Most teams who have won super bowls in the past have cheated to some extent. See another example with the 49ers and Rice. I don't see people taking away their trophies either but I have seen their fans all trashing us for no rings. Just win baby I say.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerry-rice-admits-to-cheating-says-everyone-did-it

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

What would be the incentive for an owner to want to win a championship? They make the same money either way and if you win then all over the players and coaches want more and more money. I think an owner just wants to put a competitive team on the field, just good enough for the fans not to go nuts and demand change. I think what we have now is an owner's dream scenario

I remember George Steinbrenner once said, "the two most important things in life are breathing and winning and not necessarily in that order".

30 minutes ago, major said:

Admittedly I haven’t heard the segment yet. But as a knee jerk that seems like an ownership issue.

Like is who is willing to give up control of the culture and to whom? Like is he talking about the GM not relinquishing control of the culture to the HC? HC to OC/DC or positional coach.

It has been rumored that McBeane have a“no meddling” clauses in their contracts. In recent history Danny Briere requested it to take of as Head/Pres of Hockey Ops and it was declined. This goes all the way back to Ted Black and Regier on the hockey side where Darcy and Terry were having secret meetings about prospects, trades, etc. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Admittedly I haven’t heard the segment yet. But as a knee jerk that seems like an ownership issue.

Like is who is willing to give up control of the culture and to whom? Like is he talking about the GM not relinquishing control of the culture to the HC? HC to OC/DC or positional coach.

It has been rumored that McBeane have a“no meddling” clauses in their contracts. In recent history Danny Briere requested it to take of as Head/Pres of Hockey Ops and it was declined. This goes all the way back to Ted Black and Regier on the hockey side where Darcy and Terry were having secret meetings about prospects, trades, etc. 

I wonder if Jerry Jones has that “no meddling” thing at Dallas ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RkFast said:

The TRUTH is that it is widely accepted around the entire NFL world that the Buffalo Bills organization and its culture is one of the best ones in the NFL, if not in ALL of pro sports in the US. Does that necessariliy translate to winning a championship? No. But the org is not some shoddy fly by night deal like you imply above. What McD and Beane have built is consdiered top tier around the league. And the idea that the Pegulas are "not in it for winning" doesnt wash, either. They invested a ton of money building what is consdered one of the best fitness centers in the NFL (https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-expect-world-class-sports-performance-center-to-enhance-their-game). They have laid out BIG contracts to free agents and to retain their own talent. Again...does that translate into winning? No. The Von contract is bad right now due ot his injuries. But its sure damn NOT for lack of trying. The effort to win is there. The MONEY is there. 

I disagree on the effort to win when it comes to McD. He hasn't improved at all as a coach in over 7 years. Things like in-game management is all about preparation. He doesn't do it. He's never put in the effort or work to improve himself as a gameday coach. 

It's one of the reasons it's maddening to me that we're keeping him when our guys like #17 show up in these big games and leave their heart on the field and we have a coach that does not do the same thing. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

“Just wants to put a competitive team on the field” 🙄

IMG_3779.thumb.webp.5328eea572bce8b861cbcfd2d62ab2db.webp

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

“Just wants to put a competitive team on the field” 🙄

IMG_3779.thumb.webp.5328eea572bce8b861cbcfd2d62ab2db.webp

Did I say anything about our owner? Clearly he has more money than brains if he's up with the Jets and Browns in spending. I asked the question, what is the incentive for an owner to win? Look at the Patriots. They are one of the most valuable franchises on the planet and they spend next to nothing according to your chart. That's smart business 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t think this is the Bills at all. I think this is a team and a culture and a locker room that could win a SB, I just think the coaching is not able to overcome major adversity.

Big picture, I think McDermott could have coached the team we fielded on September 11, 2023 to a SB victory. I also think there are coaches that could have taken the team the Bills fielded against KC to a SB victory, as well, but I don’t think McDermott is one of them. 

4 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I agree. I think the Pegula's are content with the mediocrity and not taking the next step to change our culture because firing McDermott has the potential to backfire and get you a worse coach and worse team culture. The Chargers fired Schottenheimer because he couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs and the Chargers regressed for the most part with Norv Turner. Because the Pegula's are already making money hand over fist with the currently company culture, which is winning to an extent, and because breaking McDermotts contract to go out and hire a more proven winner would eat into profits, I think the Pegula's are content to let McDermott continue pushing his failed team culture that cannot get the super bowl Bills fans deserve.

The Pegula's are not all in for winning. We have seen the Chargers go all in by firing a failed coach to bring in a new culture with Harbaugh that has a better track record than McDermott. We have seen the Patriots do it in the past when they fired Pete Carroll who kept losing in playoff games and bright in Belichick. We saw the Bucs do it with Dungy (who failed repeatedly in the playoffs) when they brought in Gruden who won a super bowl his first season. 

Let me make sure I'm following you here.  The Spanos family that moved the Chargers to Los Angeles is focused on winning over profits while the Pegulas, who have kept multiple teams in Buffalo, are in it for the cash grab.

Is that about the gist of it?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I asked the question, what is the incentive for an owner to win? Look at the Patriots. They are one of the most valuable franchises on the planet

The Patriots are probably a bad example to use if you're suggesting that winning championships doesn't increase the value of a franchise.

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Did I say anything about our owner? Clearly he has more money than brains if he's up with the Jets and Browns in spending. I asked the question, what is the incentive for an owner to win? Look at the Patriots. They are one of the most valuable franchises on the planet and they spend next to nothing according to your chart. That's smart business 

The incentive is they’re competitive. They love competition. What incentive is there for fans? We spend all our money for what? What do we get?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

4 hours ago, major said:

And Lombardi knows the inner workings of most NFL teams because he’s a contributor on NFL Network and a failed ex GM. These  guys have theories and try and put it off as factual.

5 hours ago, major said:

I mean, the Bills have been winning.  Their record under McDermott is 73-41 (0.640).  Harbaugh with the Ravens over the same time frame is 75-40 (0.652).  Boy Genius McVay is 70-45 (0.609).  The Cowboys under McCarthy are 42-25 (0.627).  Who are these coaches who are "building the culture that's necessary to win" if McDermott isn't among them? 

The problem is, getting over the hump and winning those last 2-3 games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.