Josh made the right call to go for the TD

Success

You take the shot when it presents itself because you may never get another opportunity. I got no trust in the D but it’s still the right play. That’s the problem with this team, Josh is expected to do way too much because other guys can’t do their job. Thats on McD

Asking Josh to pass up his shot because McDs D is a liability is ridiculous.  What if the next play the oline gives out more and Josh is sacked? Maybe they tip his next ball and it turn into an INT. Who ***** knows how it pans out. 

Asking the D to do their job is not unreasonable. It’s part of the game. The fact that this is still getting talked about tells you how bad this D has been in crucial situations over the years and why MCD should be canned.

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Yep!

The biggest issue about people saying "go for the first down " is they act like it's a guaranteed TD if they get the first down there. (Probably 50/50 at best, especially if you still want to drain clock)

You have to take that open shot to Shakir 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

Can’t believe we are critiquing Josh for a fingertip miss TD throw when he’s got his LT pushed into his chest…

Josh has made that throw several times. If he hasn’t got the arm strength to send that there then sure… flame away. 

He has. If he makes it there isn’t a single person saying “man wtf is Josh doing… he should have hit Diggs”. 

Absolutely bonkers. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Only losers think and play like that. Put KC in our shoes and they run the clock down to nothing and win as football 101 strategy dictates you should. 

No, you take the lead when you can take the lead unless it's at the 1 foot line where you know Allen can get it in.  

There is no guarantee that you score when you are at the 12-15 yard line or so which is where we would have been if the ball is thrown to Diggs.

18 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Then throw to Kincaid who was also open for the 1st. Allen is a great player. If you wan to call him elite within the current players of the NFL, I can be on board with that. Mahomes is on a different level with guys like Brady and Manning though. Josh is still far away from that.

if you don't, you take it to overtime.

LOL

Bass missed 3 out of his last 4 FG's including a chip shot from about 28 yards or so out against Pittsburgh.

You guarantee that Mahomes marches down the field, do you guarantee Bass hits that FG?

You claim Mahomes can't be beat if he has the ball last but then you want to go to OT with him in which we are 0-6?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Here’s Joe Marino’s analysis of the playcall at the 13:46 mark:

in short, he says those who think it was the wrong play/read, don’t understand progressions or have situational awareness. Agree or disagree, he offers an impassioned defense of the play design and the call. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Only losers think and play like that. Put KC in our shoes and they run the clock down to nothing and win as football 101 strategy dictates you should. It's not like Josh doesn't have a career's worth of these mental mistakes already to look back on.

Really? In the 13 second game they had no fear at all in scoring fast and leaving time on the clock. They seen an opportunity and took it. Left the Bills a minute on the clock. 

That’s football. More then one guy is expected to do their job

Edited by BananaB

19 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

The bolded, but also your entire post, is the strongest I’ve seen the argument presented. Kudos.

Not saying I think JA17 necessarily made the wrong call because I can’t really fault our QB for making a throw he thinks will put us up 4 near the end of a playoff game, but I do think if both options are there then what you described is the sounder strategy.

Thank you. And I agree. We are talking about a fraction of a second and such slim margins in this. 

12 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

This is the most useful post in the thread. 

it’s not a clear cut right/wrong decision. For instance, the fake punt was the wrong decision for many reasons. 

Here, you had a clearer throw to Diggs without 600 lbs of beer in your way. But that wouldn’t have been a td. But it could have led to bleeding the clock. But Diggs had the dropsies. 

there were a ton of variables going into the decision, and many unknowns. 

I can’t say Josh made the wrong decision. On balance though, I would have liked the higher percentage throw on that play

Thank you. Well said. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I am beyond tired of the national hand-wringing about that play.  It was THERE.  I've actually heard fans argue that what Allen SHOULD have done is to just keep picking up small chunks, and then score a TD with just a few seconds left on the clock.

As though you can script something like that perfectly.  Then there is a holding penalty, or sack, or turnover, or you just can't get in the endzone.  Allen saw Shakir wide open for 6, and he went for it.  And, as we all know, if Chris Jones gets there a half second later, that's a TD and we're likely up by 4.

I'm like, is that the best that you've got, Allen haters?  The guy plays a great game, should have had at least 100 more yards and another TD if his receivers could hang onto the ball - and you're saying "same ol' Allen" because he went for an OPEN TOUCHDOWN.

And I hope Mahomes throws 3 picks this week so we can all see the double-standard.  It won't be nearly as analyzed and dissected.

No he didn't. The Chiefs were moving the ball at will all night long getting 7 or 8 yards a play. Had Shakir caught that for a TD, it would have put us up by 4 and Mahomes having 1:55 on the clock to go down the field and score. If that TD put us up by 7, then I can agree because then it would be at worse a tie game with a KC score. If our defense had shown something all game, it would have been ok. We showed no sign of being able to stop it if KC got the ball with that much time left. The best thing would have been to keep taking underneath routes and possibly make them burn timeouts. Run it down to under a minute and then try for some end zone shots. I know nothing is guaranteed but at worst, a field goal from Bass would have been a lot a closer than the 44 yarder he had to make in those terrible windy conditions. That's the problem with our team. We don't stick with what works that often. The dink and dunk worked the whole game on their defense and then when we really to take more time off the clock, we took a shot. We should have taken more time off and got as close as possible to take better shots or then go for a closer field goal

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, BananaB said:

You take the shot when it presents itself because you may never get another opportunity. I got no trust in the D but it’s still the right play. That’s the problem with this team, Josh is expected to do way too much because other guys can’t do their job. Thats on McD

Asking Josh to pass up his shot because McDs D is a liability is ridiculous.  What if the next play the oline gives out more and Josh is sacked? Maybe they tip his next ball and it turn into an INT. Who ***** knows how it pans out. 

Asking the D to do their job is not unreasonable. It’s part of the game. The fact that this is still getting talked about tells you how bad this D has been in crucial situations over the years and why MCD should be canned.

You can't fire a coach because Milano TB White Benford and a host of active players were hurt. You KNOW buffalo wins by 10 with those guys active. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

lol, no it wasn't. Josh scores a TD there and we lose. Mahomes beat us with 13 seconds and a far stronger defense. 

I love this line of thinking.

Yes, in a world where a first down there means automatic winding of clock and a walk-off TD with no time remaining, then yeah, Josh should have thrown to Diggs.

But in the real world, where we don't know what will happen after that first down, Josh made the right call to go endzone. For example, what if Diggs gets that first down, and then we fumble on the next play and KC gets it? Or we get called for holding on the next play and all of a sudden the drive falters? Or a pass gets tipped and KC intercepts?

You always go for the endzone (if it's open) in that situation because you have NO IDEA what is coming after you get the first down.

But i'm not sure why i'm wasting my finger breath, you're just a troll.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 2

Ya I love it, went for the kill. Jones literally came in at the last second,  Josh makes that theow 90% of the time... 

That's what makes this L so frustrating,  we had multiple opportunities and shot ourselves in the foot with drops mainly and a rare miss by 17

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No he didn't. The Chiefs were moving the ball at will all night long getting 7 or 8 yards a play. Had Shakir caught that for a TD, it would have put us up by 4 and Mahomes having 1:55 on the clock to go down the field and score. If that TD put us up by 7, then I can agree because then it would be at worse a tie game with a KC score. If our defense had shown something all game, it would have been ok. We showed no sign of being able to stop it if KC got the ball with that much time left. The best thing would have been to keep taking underneath routes and possibly make them burn timeouts. Run it down to under a minute and then try for some end zone shots. I know nothing is guaranteed but at worst, a field goal from Bass would have been a lot a closer than the 44 yarder he had to make in those terrible windy conditions. That's the problem with our team. We don't stick with what works that often. The dink and dunk worked the whole game on their defense and then when we really to take more time off the clock, we took a shot. We should have taken more time off and got as close as possible to take better shots or then go for a closer field goal

Um. All night? They had a fumble out the EZ after ripping 30 yards on the ground following the ridiculous fake punt, then followed that up with a 5 play/8 yard drive after we went 3 and out…

I honestly believe if Bass ties the game they force the issue and make errors. No score. And if we scored a TD that drive I think the defensive pass rush might have finally got home seeing as they’d need a TD to avoid the season being over. 

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

The only criticism that I can muster here is that maybe Josh should have slid to his right a bit to get clear of the pressure, but that is really picking nits.

After the game, talking about the play, Josh sort of mumbled something about pocket management.  I think Josh was aware of Dion and Jones and thought he had time to make the throw.  If he'd reset himself, the window might have closed.  He probably could have stepped up and made the throw.  Tiny nuances that he'll think about and maybe do a little differently on some future play, but nothing at all to complain about.   Credit to Jones.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Absolutely right IMO. That throw was on a rope if he’s not knocked backward. We’ve seen him make that throw countless times… none better than the one against Denver a few years back when he connected with Kumerow. 

What about last year vs the Vikings in OT? JA had basically that same exact throw, except it was intended for Davis (and his route took him right to left across the back of the end zone), and the throw was too low and also behind Davis, and it was picked off to end the game. And no one bumped into JA  on that throw.

There are NO guarantees in NFL football. Shakir still had to have made the catch too.

Funny to see folks saying that he made the right decision, even though the end result is that the play failed. Personally, if something fails, I call it the wrong decision. 

The pass to an open Diggs was the right thing to do.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Um. All night? They had a fumble out the EZ after ripping 30 yards on the ground following the ridiculous fake punt, then followed that up with a 5 play/8 yard drive after we went 3 and out…

I honestly believe if Bass ties the game they force the issue and make errors. No score. And if we scored a TD that drive I think the defensive pass rush might have finally got home seeing as they’d need a TD to avoid the season being over. 

Yes... all night. You're gonna refer to one play that got lucky enough to go out of the endzone? Do you remember the play right before that? Pacheco had like a 35 yard run that got them down to the 1 yard line and then we got lucky enough o get the ball out of the endzone. The whole game prior to that drive and even after that drive, we couldn't stop them. What was the next play for the Chiefs after bass missed? It was a Pacheco run for 8 yards. Wanna know what the next play was? Another Pacheco run for a first down and it was ball game. We should have taken the easy shots we took on offense all game and drained down more clock

• Agree 1

In retrospect, my least favorite play on that drive was the run up the middle to get to the two-minute warning.

I was screaming this during the game, and it is BY FAR what I believe we should be criticizing. 

It is crunch time. The game is on the line. You have a superstar QB. And you WASTE AN ENTIRE PLAY by running the ball, which hadn't been working in over a quarter! Our last 3 runs prior to that call went for a grand total ZERO yards.

After the 1st down run, Cook had 5 rushes for -2 yards in the 4th quarter. Why are we running him there??????

• Dislike 1

Reading this thread makes me think a lot of fans are posting through red and blue glasses.  We needed to run clock, especially given the way the night was going. The defense couldn’t stop a nose bleed. Mahomes with a 1 min + - on the clock and TO beats or ties…. Almost guaranteed.

Running was getting tough but I think we could’ve thrown it short with a few higher % quick dink and dunks.

Edited by PayDaBill$

Just now, Einstein said:

I was screaming this during the game, and it is BY FAR what I believe we should be criticizing. 

It is crunch time. The game is on the line. You have a superstar QB. And you WASTE AN ENTIRE PLAY by running the ball, which hadn't been working in over a quarter! Our last 3 runs prior to that call went for a grand total ZERO yards.

After the 1st down run, Cook had 5 rushes for -2 yards in the 4th quarter. Why are we running him there??????

I don't mind the run per se. I get that an incompletion there is a complete disaster. Then you have to throw twice and you might leave over 2:00 after the kick. But the run to the middle when KC had stacked the box was a capitulation. I would have done something to get the ball to the edges. They were not defending that.

33 minutes ago, Process said:

Third down is where we lost the game. Shakir and Kincaid wide open is going to haunt me. 

You can get over it because nobody was open for a first down on that play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Diggs was open earlier though. If Josh had gone to him he’d have gotten the ball off cleanly. I will very rarely complain about a player or coach being aggressive, but Diggs was the right throw for that reason. I like that Allen wants to go for the big throw, but that wasn't the time. 

The bleeding the clock argument is valid as it is a legitimate strategy in situations like this. Even if we would’ve had to settle for a FG, it would have been much shorter and there would have been a lot less time on the clock. Or we could’ve won outright with a TD. 

Shakir was a for sure TD....Diggs was running a 2 yard crosser.....idk about you but if I was a hc I would tell my qb to take the sure TD over a 2 yard crosser down by 3 in the playoffs with less than 2 minutes remaining

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Mahomes with 30sec to a 1 min on the clock and TO beats or ties…. Almost guaranteed.

With a field goal, I agree.

With a touchdown, I disagree.

What made the Chiefs offense dangerous during the game was the threat of the run. Pacheco was getting chunks of 8 to 10 yards at a time. They wouldn't have been able to run the ball with 1:40 left. The Bills would have been secondary heavy and the pass rushers (who all game had to account for the rush), could finally pin their ears back and just go.

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I don't mind the run per se. I get that an incompletion there is a complete disaster. Then you have to throw twice and you might leave over 2:00 after the kick. But the run to the middle when KC had stacked the box was a capitulation. I would have done something to get the ball to the edges. They were not defending that.

I respect that opinion but we tried a run to the edges just a few plays before that. Lost 4 yards. KC was teeing off against the run. I truly don't think it would have worked regardless of the play you call there.

I would have loved to give Allen all three chances to make the first down. Running the ball means you're giving Allen 33% less chances to convert. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

With a field goal, I agree.

With a touchdown, I disagree.

What made the Chiefs offense dangerous during the game was the threat of the run. Pacheco was getting chunks of 8 to 10 yards at a time. They wouldn't have been able to run the ball with 1:40 left. The Bills would have been secondary heavy and the pass rushers (who all game had to account for the rush), could finally pin their ears back and just go.

Aj couldn’t stay with 5yds of Kelce he would have eaten him alive down the stretch.

Just now, Simon said:

You can get over it because nobody was open for a first down on that play.

Yes. You've mentioned that many times. 

If it's 4th and 1 or 2 the bills 100% are going for it. I don't think you've grasped that. And if you watch the play Shakir had one guy to beat for the first, he is good at making guys miss. I think he gets it. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

What about last year vs the Vikings in OT? JA had basically that same exact throw, except it was intended for Davis (and his route took him right to left across the back of the end zone), and the throw was too low and also behind Davis, and it was picked off to end the game. And no one bumped into JA  on that throw.

There are NO guarantees in NFL football. Shakir still had to have made the catch too.

Funny to see folks saying that he made the right decision, even though the end result is that the play failed. Personally, if something fails, I call it the wrong decision. 

The pass to an open Diggs was the right thing to do.

Pretty sure that wasn't the same throw or play at all, also that would be what the week after Allen had his arm bent back at the end of the Jets game? But yeah lets randomly talk about that play that has nothing to do with throwing to an open WR, he was open there's no question about that, in the endzone to take a 4 point lead under 2 minutes. 🤣

15 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yes... all night. You're gonna refer to one play that got lucky enough to go out of the endzone? Do you remember the play right before that? Pacheco had like a 35 yard run that got them down to the 1 yard line and then we got lucky enough o get the ball out of the endzone. The whole game prior to that drive and even after that drive, we couldn't stop them. What was the next play for the Chiefs after bass missed? It was a Pacheco run for 8 yards. Wanna know what the next play was? Another Pacheco run for a first down and it was ball game. We should have taken the easy shots we took on offense all game and drained down more clock

All night would imply the night in totality but  you say “the whole game prior to those drives”… you also said we “We showed no sign of being able to stop it if KC got the ball with that much time left”

But they did. On back to back drives. A Turnover and then a 5 play drive for a total of 8 yards. 

Dude I’m not disputing that KC waxed the floor with us for the majority of the night. But the defense stepped up at the end of the game big time. 

Simple point was in crunch time barring a 30 yard rip our defense looked like they could hold them. Which I, personally, feel would have happened again had we made the FG. Especially if we scored a TD. 

Your post isn’t wrong. It’s that one point I disagree with. I just feel differently toward the statement my last post was directed to. 

It’s how you finish the game that matters. 

Edited by BBFL

9 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Shakir was a for sure TD....Diggs was running a 2 yard crosser.....idk about you but if I was a hc I would tell my qb to take the sure TD over a 2 yard crosser down by 3 in the playoffs with less than 2 minutes remaining

It obviously wasn’t a sure thing. If it was then it would have been a TD. 

Just now, PayDaBill$ said:

How many TD for Kelce?

0 on Klein.

Klein wasn't even in the same zone quadrant as Kelce on the coverage breakdown (long TD), and it was a behind the LOS screen to Kelce that scored his second TD. Klein came across the field and was the only Bill to actually touch Kelce before he went into the endzone.

Kelce had 2 receptions for 9 yards in the entire second half. 

If we scored a TD on the Shakir play, I strongly believe we win the game.

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

0 on Klein.

Klein wasn't even in the same zone quadrant as Kelce on the coverage breakdown (long TD), and it was a behind the LOS screen to Kelce that scored his second TD. Klein came across the field and was the only Bill to actually touch Kelce before he went into the endzone.

Kelce had 2 receptions for 9 yards in the entire second half. 

You’re fooling yourself if you think TK wouldn’t have factored down the stretch in that game.

5 of 6 15 yds per catch 75 yds tot & 2 td’s.  They would have went back to him. AJ was an example, he got smoked a few times and the entire Bills D had no answer for TK all night. 

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 hour ago, Success said:

I am beyond tired of the national hand-wringing about that play.  It was THERE.  I've actually heard fans argue that what Allen SHOULD have done is to just keep picking up small chunks, and then score a TD with just a few seconds left on the clock.

As though you can script something like that perfectly.  Then there is a holding penalty, or sack, or turnover, or you just can't get in the endzone.  Allen saw Shakir wide open for 6, and he went for it.  And, as we all know, if Chris Jones gets there a half second later, that's a TD and we're likely up by 4.

I'm like, is that the best that you've got, Allen haters?  The guy plays a great game, should have had at least 100 more yards and another TD if his receivers could hang onto the ball - and you're saying "same ol' Allen" because he went for an OPEN TOUCHDOWN.

And I hope Mahomes throws 3 picks this week so we can all see the double-standard.  It won't be nearly as analyzed and dissected.

he made the right read in the play call

in theory the system/play call should have dictated the read be a smaller chunk probably, given that we just milked the clock to two minutes though. 

it wasn’t a bad play, but strategically the coaches didn’t sync the clock management and play calling strategy together well

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

All night would imply the night in totality but  you say “the whole game prior to those drives”… you also said we “We showed no sign of being able to stop it if KC got the ball with that much time left”

But they did. On back to back drives. A Turnover and then a 5 play drive for a total of 8 yards. 

Dude I’m not disputing that KC waxed the floor with us for the majority of the night. But the defense stepped up at the end of the game big time. 

Simple point was in crunch time barring a 30 yard rip our defense looked like they could hold them. Which I, personally, feel would have happened again had we made the FG. Especially if we scored a TD. 

Your post isn’t wrong. It’s that one point I disagree with. I just feel differently toward the statement my last post was directed to. 

It’s how you finish the game that matters. 

I mean the whole game in totality. Are we really gonna argue over 2 drives that we got lucky enough to not give up 7 or 8 yards a play? The only 2 drives that we gave up nothing on was that fumble out of the endzone which again, had a 35 yard run play to get down there and then one other defensive drive to stop them. Were you watching something else. It was back and forth all game for both offenses. We had the lead at halftime 17-13. What did the Chiefs do the first drive I. The second half? They scored a TD in like 7 plays. The next Chiefs drive, you guessed it another TD. The Chiefs only had to attempt 5 3rd downs all night long because most of the time they were getting enough yardage on first and second down to not need a 3rd down. If you are ok with the night our defense had, getting no pass rush, missing multiple starters and getting gashed MOSTLY all night and giving Mahomes 1:55 and 2 timeouts to work with, I have to question your sanity

We're all so scared of Mahomes because of 13 seconds.

And not that he couldn't have done that again.  But if Josh hits that TD - the crowd would have been absolutely insane.  He did 13 seconds in KC.

I think there is a shot he could have scored a TD there - but no way that's a given.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

lol, no it wasn't. Josh scores a TD there and we lose. Mahomes beat us with 13 seconds and a far stronger defense.  He would have had a 1:45 and a pile of timeouts. There would just be a different person to blame. The right play there was to wind the clock down as far as possible and get the TD with under 30 seconds or tie it with a FG as time expires

TDs are too hard in the NFL, to pass up an opportunity if given. let's say he throws to Diggs and we end up tying with a FG. Do we not bring up, that he should've went for the TD, and point out an open Shakir. It takes all 11 guys to do their job, overall the oline played exceptionally well, but lost that one key rep.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

We're all so scared of Mahomes because of 13 seconds.

And not that he couldn't have done that again.  But if Josh hits that TD - the crowd would have been absolutely insane.  He did 13 seconds in KC.

I think there is a shot he could have scored a TD there - but no way that's a given.

We dominated most stats and controlled the ball.  It didn’t  matter KC was extremely efficient all night. Given he scores no, high probability, yes.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Disagree 1

Exactly. If Chris Jones doesn't drive Dion into Josh then that is a TD. BTW, he still would have probably missed Diggs underneath for the same reason. The only criticism that I can muster here is that maybe Josh should have slid to his right a bit to get clear of the pressure, but that is really picking nits.

So if Chris Jones wasn't a known great pass rusher.........and if Josh completed a specific throw that he has turfed for various reasons in big situations this season even WITHOUT significant pressure.........and completed a throw for more air yards than any other completion of his in the game and more air yards than any Shakir completion all season..........then it was definitely a TD?

If you are going to live in the land of make believe that's your prerogative,  but it was a low % completion throw based on all of the most recent Josh/Bills data.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.