Nyheim Hines will not be a cap casualty for FA (Edit: Wrong)

35 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He's not wrong though... not everyone is on an NFL roster, much less playing or starting. So many keyboard warriors out there...

And usually the people that say that are one. Lol

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Couple of “strays” over here ….

may nyheim be the rare professional athlete that has never complained about a coach, a ref, his wait staff, a taxi driver, a cashier, a cop, a cook, a housekeeper, a musician, his agent, a lawyer, a landscaper or contractor, or any other person in their professional role outside of fellow running backs 

and let’s be real, surely he’s complained about a sales person at least once. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would encourage everyone to read Joe B's breakdown of Bills road to get under the cap which includes options for Hines. It's excellent. I actually felt more optimistic after reading it. We might not have to do a complete teardown this year despite being objectively screwed.

https://theathletic.com/5238669/2024/02/02/buffalo-bills-offseason-salary-cap/

Edited by VW82
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:46 AM, T master said:

If Hines does come back then get rid of Harty, he for sure can't be any worse than Harty was at running back kicks . But with that i would rather see Ty Johnson come back the guy was a improvement for the running game this year but kick returns could be much better !! 

I think that’s the plan I don’t see Harty in our future

13 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

What possible grievance would there be to file? The dude was in a jet ski accident. It's the definition of a non football injury.

The NFLPA will file a grievance even in a losing battle. And his scenario, yes, he was on the Ski. But he was stationary filling up the tank. So there was some question as to whether the injury occurring while not riding and being a victim of someone hitting him really constituted as a breach of the contract.

On 1/24/2024 at 5:31 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Among most, if not all, posts talking about freeing up cap space - Nyheim Hines being released is mentioned. 

And in a vacuum, it seems like a no brainer type of move. But it appears it's not going to happen.

I've touched on this in other posts a bit before but there's factors at play here. When the injury occured, his agent started speaking up about filing a grievance if he wasn't taken care of. Then it all went away.

Beane and he came to an agreement. Hines would keep a portion of his money and not be released and in turn, most of his money for last season would come off the books - freeing up some cap space for last year and Hines and his people wouldn't file a grievance.

I've been almost positive part of that agreement was he wouldn't be cut and given every opportunity to reclaim his job. Hines has said that he's going to be a Bill this year:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-nyheim-hines-injury-rehab-jet-ski-accident

Yesterday at Beane's Year End Presser - he confirmed it. Nyheim Hines will not be an offseason cap casualty:

(56:49 - 57:22)

I'm not a capologist, so I don't know if there's any massaging that can be done to his contract to create some relief somewhere. But it's pretty clear that unless he is completely physically unable to perform, Nyheim Hines will be one of our RB's behind James Cook.

I'm much bigger on Hines than most, dude is a flat out playmaker and was missed 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 5:46 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

A chance to earn it. Which I think unless he's lost a step, he most likely will.

I get what youre saying but before the injury he was not a $5M back. after seeing Tre/Von, but a player at the most unforgiving position, i just cant see any way he survives camp. would take a major cap reduction, and a kiss from God himself on that ACL.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

actually I'd say decent chance he comes back here really cheap if no one offers him better $ 

I don't dispute that. But there's a thread for that. This thread is about a very particular theory that is now officially debunked.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

actually I'd say decent chance he comes back here really cheap if no one offers him better $ 

Which is why it is unbelievable people thought he was worth $5M. I am guessing he will get essentially vet min wherever he goes. Assuming there are any takers. 

On 1/24/2024 at 10:40 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not going to happen. Not at least until after the Pre-Season, if he proves to have lost a step.

We could have voided his deal completely last year and been completely scot free of paying him a dime last year or this year. We didn't do it then, so why would they do it now that he's ready to come back and both Beane and he said he's coming back?

I'm sure his number will drop via a paycut or some kind of restructure. But he'll be here.

Well, it happened.  

no restructure.  No paycut.  He was cut and saved 4.66M, which was the only move to make involving Hines.  An ultra speed back coming off what was said to be a possible career threatening injury.  

He’ll be back for close to the minimum and might make the team.  Cutting him and was necessary.  Glad that Beane didn’t make him any ridiculous promises as was speculated.  

• Like (+1) 3

So much for that, the “agreement”  between parties was evidently different than reported…, 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Such an unnecessary "L" to take for @BillsFanForever19.

6 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

OP had an interesting take but was wrong. Case closed.

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

So much for that, the “agreement”  between parties was evidently different than reported…, 

Hesitant to bump this, but sometimes you just have to take the L.

I was wrong here and it's a bit of a learning lesson.

The wording of the release stating he'll "most likely be back for Training Camp from his ACL injury" says one of two things to me:

1.) He failed a physical and the injury was so bad that any hope that he'd be in good enough shape to start the season disappeared. In which case, all bets are off.

or

2.) It's specifically referring to being back for us. In which case, the release was more of a case of being better for us to rip up his contract than it would be to restructure.

We'll have to wait and see what Beane says about it. ATM, I lean towards probably the former.

It's a tad confusing to me as to why we didn't just cut him last season when the NFI happened and you had the right to do so and not pay a single dime further. We didn't pay him much last season, but why pay anything then just to cut him now?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3

I don’t have a factual answer for you, but I suspect that some information / circumstance occurred that made cutting him the answer…, 

• BillsFanForever19 changed the title to Nyheim Hines will not be a cap casualty for FA (Edit: Wrong)
1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Hesitant to bump this, but sometimes you just have to take the L.

I was wrong here and it's a bit of a learning lesson.

The wording of the release stating he'll "most likely be back for Training Camp from his ACL injury" says one of two things to me:

1.) He failed a physical and the injury was so bad that any hope that he'd be in good enough shape to start the season disappeared. In which case, all bets are off.

or

2.) It's specifically referring to being back for us. In which case, the release was more of a case of being better for us to rip up his contract than it would be to restructure.

We'll have to wait and see what Beane says about it. ATM, I lean towards probably the former.

It's a tad confusing to me as to why we didn't just cut him last season when the NFI happened and you had the right to do so and not pay a single dime further. We didn't pay him much last season, but why pay anything then just to cut him now?

I think he had to be medically cleared to be released without an injury settlement so I suspect #1 is probably not the case.

But the reality is that he probably wasn't going to be nearly the same player in 2024 that he was prior to the ACL tear.   

I know many of us feared that Beane would do the wrong and "sentimental" thing with Hines........like he did when he allowed guys who screwed him with poor effort like Vernon Butler and Star Lotulelei to hang around with pay cuts..........but this really was an easy "no brainer" level decision to cut an injured RB.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think he had to be medically cleared to be released without an injury settlement so I suspect #1 is probably not the case.

But the reality is that he probably wasn't going to be nearly the same player in 2024 that he was prior to the ACL tear.   

I know many of us feared that Beane would do the wrong and "sentimental" thing with Hines........like he did when he allowed guys who screwed him with poor effort like Vernon Butler and Star Lotulelei to hang around with pay cuts..........but this really was an easy "no brainer" level decision to cut an injured RB.

He has a $500k roster bonus due on 3/18/24. One of the big reasons these are included in so many contracts are cases like this. The team can pay it or not at their discretion (unless it is contractually guaranteed), so injury doesn’t prevent them from waiving the player. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He has a $500k roster bonus due on 3/18/24. One of the big reasons these are included in so many contracts are cases like this. The team can pay it or not at their discretion (unless it is contractually guaranteed), so injury doesn’t prevent them from waiving the player. 

He also hasn't officially been released as of yet, so he could still be released with an injury settlement when it officially goes through. We'll have to wait and see on that.

Find it slightly interesting that we interviewed Braelon Allen and Audric Estime at the Combine. Guys who are considered 3rd or 4th Round Picks. With just Cook on the roster, I wonder if they're considering a RB a little higher than expected? Especially after the release of Hines and both guys being bigger and stronger runners that would compliment him well.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He also hasn't officially been released as of yet, so he could still be released with an injury settlement when it officially goes through. We'll have to wait and see on that.

Find it slightly interesting that we interviewed Braelon Allen and Audric Estime at the Combine. Guys who are considered 3rd or 4th Round Picks. With just Cook on the roster, I wonder if they're considering a RB a little higher than expected? Especially after the release of Hines and both guys being bigger and stronger runners that would compliment him well.

No on the injury settlement. Completely unnecessary and will not happen due to contract structure. This is literally why teams insist on including roster bonuses like the one in his contract. 

Absolutely yes on RB. Adding another quality RB is a very big need. Last season Cooks had 10 games of relatively light usage under Dorsey followed by very heavy usage for 9 games (including the 2 playoff games) under Brady. He broke down before the end of the season. No way can he handle that kind of workload for a whole season. They have to have another RB who can share the load if they’re going to be as run heavy as they were under Brady last season. 

On 1/24/2024 at 11:54 PM, Doc Brown said:

I don't care what Beane says at the presser.  If he can save 4.9 million by cutting him he's going to do it.

Still don't care what Beane says at a presser.

• Like (+1) 1