Cole Bishop S Utah......2nd or 3rd round target for the Bills?? Edit: ran a 4.45 40!

Special K

After the Bills hopefully target a WR in round 1 such as Xavier Leggette or Xavier Worthy, Safety may be a position addressed in round 2 or 3.

I think Cole Bishop is an intriguing prospect.....he has a lot of McBeane traits, but I'm not 100% sure he would be a fit in McD's Defense, but definitely worth a look. He may be a better fit in the Taylor Rapp role.

What do you think??

From Bleacher Report:

Cole Bishop is a multiyear starter with very good size for a safety at 6'2" and 207 pounds. He's an instinctual player with a high football IQ and the versatility to play all over the field. He has the physicality to be a box player and the movement skills to cover in space.

While playing the run game, Bishop excels when he's close to the line of scrimmage. He uses his instincts to identify and react to the run with very good short-area quickness, and he closes on the ball with very good angles. He's a strong tackler who does a good job of fronting up and running through the ball-carrier when in the box, but he tends to dive and have more inconsistent tackling when on the edge. Bishop is a downhill player who does a great job of attacking the line of scrimmage and playing close to or in the backfield.

As a pass defender, Bishop has shown the ability to drop as a deep defender, where he is able to play the routes in front of him and react to the ball in the air. When defending intermediate routes, he has the ability to play man coverage, using his short-area bursts to get out of breaks and drive on the ball.

Bishop does his best when playing as an underneath defender, where he can pass off receivers and has over-the-top help. He is a short strider with some stiff hips, and he struggles to turn and run. He's slow to climb and gain growth, which may cause issues in the NFL.

Though Bishop has versatility within his game, he lacks true scheme versatility. He's best as a box defender, so he'll fit best as a strong safety who can occasionally switch up his look as a deep defender. Bishop could carve out a successful NFL career if the right team selects him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

• Special K changed the title to Cole Bishop S Utah......2nd or 3rd round target for the Bills??

Maybe Baltimore/KC will have some defense in it, but man… it’s the last thing I want to discuss after - yet another - playoff loss to KC. 

36 ppg and Zero Sacks.  That’s out postseason defense against them.

And fwiw, KC has an elite defense and their best defense was our own players dropping passes in a game that ended on our kicker missing a 44 yard FG to tie the game. 

I know we still need to put a competent defense out there, but if we’re spending a Day 2 pick on defense, that guy better be able to make a difference in the postseason.  

Does a Safety do that?  I don’t know.

Ive been a big DL early proponent, but if refs don’t call holding in the playoffs, what’s the point?   Maybe a high end young Safety could help. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe Baltimore/KC will have some defense in it, but man… it’s the last thing I want to discuss after - yet another - playoff loss to KC. 

And fwiw, KC has an elite defense and their best defense was our own players dropping passes in a game that ended on our kicker missing a 44 yard FG to tie the game. 

I know we still need to put a competent defense out there, but if we’re spending a Day 2 pick on defense, that guy better be able to make a difference in the postseason.  

Ive been a big DL early proponent, but if refs don’t call holding in the playoffs, what’s the point?   Maybe a high end young Safety could help. 

There is no doubt the Bills need to get 2 WR's out of this draft, but the Defense is going to have to get younger and cheaper, especially at the safety position.....unfortunately, the draft is the easiest way to do this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

There is no doubt the Bills need to get 2 WR's out of this draft, but the Defense is going to have to get younger and cheaper, especially at the safety position.....unfortunately, the draft is the easiest way to do this.

From what I seen of Bishop I think he is a good fit. I am not sure McDermott will trust the position to a rookie, but we do need an infusion of youth and depth at that position. I think they bring back Taylor Rapp who just turned 26 and got a ton better as the year went on. Plus he has a ring. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

From what I seen of Bishop I think he is a good fit. I am not sure McDermott will trust the position to a rookie, but we do need an infusion of youth and depth at that position. I think they bring back Taylor Rapp who just turned 26 and got a ton better as the year went on. Plus he has a ring. 

I think we’re getting into territory where McDermott is going to have to start trusting rooks a little bit

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Special K said:

Bills are pretty great at getting talented DBs in the 5th-7th rounds so I am not too worried about it.  Pretty much they can plug and play anyone at DB and they are mostly OK

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think we’re getting into territory where McDermott is going to have to start trusting rooks a little bit

For sure, I just don't see it happening at one of the most critical positions in his scheme. I don't want this to turn into another McDermott thread, but he truly needs to evolve and I just don't think he has it in him. Usually, guys have to get fired to learn their lesson and adjust like Reid, Belichick, Pete Caroll. We do need an infusion of youth and talent at the safety position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Any position can make a difference in the postseason and if the player is a difference maker definitely can make a difference no matter the position. 

26 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I thought #30DJackson had a very poor tackling game against KC in the Divisional Round.  Very poor.    

Yeah he's just limited. he is what he is as an okay depth corner which teams need. But if he has to start a critical playoff game or for long stretches you are in trouble. 

9 hours ago, Special K said:

Outside of 1 (mayyybe 2) WR, I expect this draft to be completely Defense.

We'll need 2 Safeties, 2 DEs, and 2DTs, at least 1 CB, and we've certainly shown we can never have too much LB depth.

There's no other open spots on Offense anyways, even at depth positions.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

For all the crap I give McD, he definitely showed he has evolved in this already. As evidenced by all the action Kincaid saw, and well, this:

• Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We'll need 2 Safeties, 2 DEs, and 2DTs, at least 1 CB, and we've certainly shown we can never have too much LB depth.

For all the crap I give McD, he definitely showed he has evolved in this already. As evidenced by all the action Kincaid saw, and well, this:

I don't know that this is evidence of a change in mindset, McDermott has always been willing to start a rookie... if they've penciled in to do so from the start.

See: Tre White, Edmunds, Ed Oliver, etc. An anomaly might be Christian Benford, who wasn't drafted to start but did so after beating out a rookie who was: Kaiir Elam.

What McDermott has traditionally resisted is moving a rookie up into a primary playing position after the season starts, unless forced into action by injury. For example not giving Shorter a chance this year, despite the struggles of receivers in front of him on the depth chart who were ineffective all year. And I'm not saying whether that's the right or wrong mindset for a coach to have late in the season, just making the observation that I think he's been consistent with that approach from day one.

At the earliest the 2nd Round. I wouldn't be shocked if the Bills add a veteran to replace Hyde. 

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There's an opening at RB2. Isaiah Davis of South Dakota State could be an option in Rounds 5. 

23 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I would just load up on Michigan defensive players in rounds 3,4,5 and use the 1st two picks on WR and maybe another OT just in case we get an injury to Spence or Dion. Then let’s go. 

I think they like Van Demark, and seemingly with good reason.  Bates can flip out to OT in an emergency.  

I'll never hate on them drafting OL, but we seem pretty locked in at 7 guys, then we'll see what they do with Edwards and Ifedi's spots.

My ideal Draft would absolutely be going WR back to back in RD1 and RD2.   Just completely lock in the Offense around Allen, and then spend the rest of the Draft on the Defense. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think they like Van Demark, and seemingly with good reason.  Bates can flip out to OT in an emergency.  

I'll never hate on them drafting OL, but we seem pretty locked in at 7 guys, then we'll see what they do with Edwards and Ifedi's spots.

My ideal Draft would absolutely be going WR back to back in RD1 and RD2.   Just completely lock in the Offense around Allen, and then spend the rest of the Draft on the Defense. 

Back-to-back WRs that early just doesnt make sense from a value stand point.

Taking another WR in the 2nd means you are spending a high pick on a guy who will be, at best, your 5th option on Offense behind:

1st Round WR

Diggs

Kincaid

Running the Ball

If a guy falls, like Jermaine Burton to the 5th, and they want to double dip then - great.

But passing up a Safety who might play every Defensive snap, or even a DT who will play half of them in rotation, for a guy who probably wouldnt see the field on most Offensive snaps is just roster mismanagement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Back-to-back WRs that early just doesnt make sense from a value stand point.

Taking another WR in the 2nd means you are spending a high pick on a guy who will be, at best, your 5th option on Offense behind:

1st Round WR

Diggs

Kincaid

Running the Ball

If a guy falls, like Jermaine Burton to the 5th, and they want to double dip then - great.

But passing up a Safety who might play every Defensive snap, or even a DT who will play half of them in rotation, for a guy who probably wouldnt see the field on most Offensive snaps is just roster mismanagement.

Valid.. I'm probably just scarred from what we saw from everyone not named Kincaid or Shakir on Sunday. 

My rational is that there could very well be Late RD1/Early RD2 caliber WR's available late in RD2 due to the strength of this WR Draft.  If we cut Harty and want to keep Diggs fresh as he gets older, there would be snaps for another outside WR rotating in with Diggs and a RD1 WR, along with sets where we may utillize Diggs out of the slot more.

• Like (+1) 1

we might get a 3rd comp pick for edmunds, but we have a lot of like 5th and 5th round picks, like 11 picks total

we are going to have to let guys go for cap savings, and guys are off contract too (von and groot are our only signed DEs).  we will have low round picks getting burn at DT and DE, and likely safety too.  cb when healthy we are good (we could cut tre imo, but we have tre, douglas, elam, benford for 2 spots), and LB we have an oddly deep group (dodson, milano, williams, TB, spector).

given how zero impact our safeties and DL had vs kc, i'm fine w that.  time for mcd to make chicken salad out of chicken poop on D.

we need to get better on O, and just fill out the roster otherwise.  I expect a thumper RB to get drafted, at least 2 DL, and 1 S, but we need a real stud WR more than anything and can just find street FAs to fill in lots of spaces on D.  cripes, we had aj klien doing SFA in our biggest game

Utah fan here.  The Bills have drafted two Utes recently. Zach Moss has shown he's a good player when used in a scheme that works for him, but he didn't fit with the Bills.  (We got Hines for him, remember, and we should be getting him back next year, as far as I know.)  And of course DK2 who has all the skills and great attitude needed to be a star.  A lot goes to the coaching staff at Utah, that works with players to prepare them for the NFL.

Cole Bishop would absolutely be a good pick for the Bills.  I don't know if he'll be around in the third round, and I don't think he's the first round big deal star we need, but in the second round, sure.  As for that the Bills not-quite-stellar record will help their draft position a little but it will still be failry late.  

I've been thinking the Bills' greatest need in the draft is at safety, but with the likely departure of Davis and the weird problems with Diggs, I'm now thinking WR is what the Bills should do in the first round.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Utah fan here.  The Bills have drafted two Utes recently. Zach Moss has shown he's a good player when used in a scheme that works for him, but he didn't fit with the Bills.  (We got Hines for him, remember, and we should be getting him back next year, as far as I know.)  And of course DK2 who has all the skills and great attitude needed to be a star.  A lot goes to the coaching staff at Utah, that works with players to prepare them for the NFL.

Cole Bishop would absolutely be a good pick for the Bills.  I don't know if he'll be around in the third round, and I don't think he's the first round big deal star we need, but in the second round, sure.  As for that the Bills not-quite-stellar record will help their draft position a little but it will still be failry late.  

I've been thinking the Bills' greatest need in the draft is at safety, but with the likely departure of Davis and the weird problems with Diggs, I'm now thinking WR is what the Bills should do in the first round.  

Another Utah player I think the Bills should take a look at is WR DeVaughn Vele......definitely a McBeane type player, and worth a mid-round pick.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Ute fan as well and I like Bishop a lot but I don't see him making it to the 3rd round. He is an incredibly smart player in the same mold as Bernard, always around the ball and has great instincts.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

OCT was a HELL of a pick. Maybe one of Beane's best.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Rd1: Cooper DeJean 

Rd2: Cole Bishop

Rd3: Braiden McGregor

Rd4: Ladd McConkey

Rd5: Will Shipley

Rd5: Tommy Eichenberg

It’s like a message board wet dream! 

I kid, I kid

The team has A great QB and beyond a maybe aging Stef Diggs, they have nothing at WR.  Gotta do better than a 4th round WR.

I saw one sight that rated him as a 4th round value, but I think 3rd is probably the right spot at which to target him.  His estimated 40 time isn't bad for a 6'2" safety - 4.5.  If he's around when the Bills pick in the third (a comp pick) I'd probably grab him.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The team has A great QB and beyond a maybe aging Stef Diggs, they have nothing at WR.  Gotta do better than a 4th round WR.

I agree, I was making a somewhat tongue in cheek joke that I thought worked 🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Ute fan as well and I like Bishop a lot but I don't see him making it to the 3rd round. He is an incredibly smart player in the same mold as Bernard, always around the ball and has great instincts.

Yeah, that was my point, he's probably going in the second round.  

We need WRs but we also need Defense- anywhere at any level. Not sure how effective Milano will be on return.

Look at KC and Baltimore- they're defenses are great and they are still competing. Mahomes had an off year and look where they are right now. We need a Defense who can go late rounds with Mahomes, Lamar, Burrow and now Harbaugh led Chargers in the AFC. Josh is Josh- you can put a scrap heap around him and he'll make the offense work. We should draft a WR but I think we can comb through FA for pass catchers too. We really need to reload D and get high quality talent there to contend I think.

WR, DE and S are positions we need to hit on in the draft that are difference makers and impactful. 

Not just solid players but immediately put pressure on the other side of the ball that they have to account for. Someone that can dominate a game especially at WR and DE. 

We have a solid roster but we need more wrecking balls! Critical draft for Beane to get right. 

Missing on Ford, Moss, Boogie and Elam has hurt along with AJE and Groot being just okay. 

• Special K changed the title to Cole Bishop S Utah......2nd or 3rd round target for the Bills?? Edit: ran a 4.45 40!

Just read that Bishop ran a 4.45 40 at the combine!

I personally really hope he is the pick at 60 in the 2nd round.

Hopefully, the Bills will get their "X" receiver in round 1(Thomas Jr., Mitchell), then zero in on a Safety in round 2.

My only question on Bishop was if he had NFL level speed....4.45 speed for a 200+ pound Safety answers that question for me!

Get it done, McBeane!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:30 PM, John from Riverside said:

Yes the days of coddling 1st, 2nd and 3rd round players is over. Trial by fire....sink or swim.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes the days of coddling 1st, 2nd and 3rd round players is over. Trial by fire....sink or swim.

Always felt that was the way other than QB if they weren’t running a “pro system” in college. 

Get your licks and play time early and often. Whether the play is great or not you see what you have to work with instead of a sprinkle here or there. Baptism by fire is the way. Cream always rises to the top. 

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Just read that Bishop ran a 4.45 40 at the combine!

I personally really hope he is the pick at 60 in the 2nd round.

Hopefully, the Bills will get their "X" receiver in round 1(Thomas Jr., Mitchell), then zero in on a Safety in round 2.

My only question on Bishop was if he had NFL level speed....4.45 speed for a 200+ pound Safety answers that question for me!

Get it done, McBeane!!

I hope he isn’t the pick at 60 …

Just my opinion … I think better talent will be available 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:48 AM, NewEra said:

I hope we hold off on S til rd 4 or later

This doesn’t seem to be a very good S class once past the first couple.  They may not get a good S prospect at all this year.   Picking as late as they are in each round and looking at >60 players being picked between their 2nd and the next pick they are better off in my view just concentrating on finding the best prospects they can regardless of positional needs.

• Agree 1

I never get too excited for 40 times with safeties.  It doesn't translate well to being a "good player" as much as having a high football IQ, instincts, and CHANGE OF DIRECTION ability.

Not saying that 40 time is insignificant (it IS).  Acceleration to recover from separation, providing over the top help with corners, closing on a ball carrier.  All these things and more are helped by a good 40.

But if you don't have the other important intangibles, all you are is an amazing track star.

Cole Bishop is more than that for sure.  Definitely worth a look if he's the BPA.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's already happened. Torrence and Kincaid started and Benford, a 6th round rookie, did too 

17 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I never get too excited for 40 times with safeties.  It doesn't translate well to being a "good player" as much as having a high football IQ, instincts, and CHANGE OF DIRECTION ability.

Not saying that 40 time is insignificant (it IS).  Acceleration to recover from separation, providing over the top help with corners, closing on a ball carrier.  All these things and more are helped by a good 40.

But if you don't have the other important intangibles, all you are is an amazing track star.

Cole Bishop is more than that for sure.  Definitely worth a look if he's the BPA.

Yea, speed by itself isn't the determining factor for safety, or any position for that matter. But speed in our D backfield is needed to cover the likes of Tyreek Hill. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Agree on the speed point and would be happy to have Bishop, but unless they take him at 60, they won’t get him.  I think there will be better players at other positions at 60 and by the late 4th I don’t think there will be any S worth picking in this class.  Maybe you could get Kam Kinchens there after his disastrous combine testing, but is he fast and explosive enough to use any pick on?