Cole Bishop S Utah......2nd or 3rd round target for the Bills?? Edit: ran a 4.45 40!

Special K

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This doesn’t seem to be a very good S class once past the first couple.  They may not get a good S prospect at all this year.   Picking as late as they are in each round and looking at >60 players being picked between their 2nd and the next pick they are better off in my view just concentrating on finding the best prospects they can regardless of positional needs.

I agree 💯 

On 1/23/2024 at 11:01 PM, Special K said:

After the Bills hopefully target a WR in round 1 such as Xavier Leggette or Xavier Worthy, Safety may be a position addressed in round 2 or 3.

I think Cole Bishop is an intriguing prospect.....he has a lot of McBeane traits, but I'm not 100% sure he would be a fit in McD's Defense, but definitely worth a look. He may be a better fit in the Taylor Rapp role.

What do you think??

From Bleacher Report:

Cole Bishop is a multiyear starter with very good size for a safety at 6'2" and 207 pounds. He's an instinctual player with a high football IQ and the versatility to play all over the field. He has the physicality to be a box player and the movement skills to cover in space.

While playing the run game, Bishop excels when he's close to the line of scrimmage. He uses his instincts to identify and react to the run with very good short-area quickness, and he closes on the ball with very good angles. He's a strong tackler who does a good job of fronting up and running through the ball-carrier when in the box, but he tends to dive and have more inconsistent tackling when on the edge. Bishop is a downhill player who does a great job of attacking the line of scrimmage and playing close to or in the backfield.

As a pass defender, Bishop has shown the ability to drop as a deep defender, where he is able to play the routes in front of him and react to the ball in the air. When defending intermediate routes, he has the ability to play man coverage, using his short-area bursts to get out of breaks and drive on the ball.

Bishop does his best when playing as an underneath defender, where he can pass off receivers and has over-the-top help. He is a short strider with some stiff hips, and he struggles to turn and run. He's slow to climb and gain growth, which may cause issues in the NFL.

Though Bishop has versatility within his game, he lacks true scheme versatility. He's best as a box defender, so he'll fit best as a strong safety who can occasionally switch up his look as a deep defender. Bishop could carve out a successful NFL career if the right team selects him.

I have faith that McDermott can make a 6th round Safety a usable piece of our defense than our offense can help Josh with a 6th round WR.

Josh needs weapons at WR and we need big uglies all over the place on the offense and defense.

I'd rather get a WR in round 1 and a DE or DL in the 2nd round.   Worthy and Sweat DL would be awesome for this team IMO.

28 starting safeties just got dumped on the free agent market in the last month+ it's a bad draft for safeties...........but the hell with it, who needs premium picks.......you only get to patch on-paper holes once!   Let's use it on a devalued position!

• Haha (+1) 1

I cannot justify drafting a S this year before day 3.  I do not see much separation amongst the class.  The players like Bishop at 60 imo are not 68 spots better than other players at 128.  Im more intrigued by Vaki at Utah as a prospect.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2024 at 12:35 AM, Special K said:

Just read that Bishop ran a 4.45 40 at the combine!

I personally really hope he is the pick at 60 in the 2nd round.

Hopefully, the Bills will get their "X" receiver in round 1(Thomas Jr., Mitchell), then zero in on a Safety in round 2.

My only question on Bishop was if he had NFL level speed....4.45 speed for a 200+ pound Safety answers that question for me!

Get it done, McBeane!!

Hey, I got one right!!

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ve been a fan of Bishop for months. Would have preferred to try and get in the 3rd but I understand the run on some Safeties. 

Ya I think they really wanted this guy, and I can see why, he looks like the real deal. High character too. Love the pick!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:01 AM, Special K said:

After the Bills hopefully target a WR in round 1 such as Xavier Leggette or Xavier Worthy, Safety may be a position addressed in round 2 or 3.

I think Cole Bishop is an intriguing prospect.....he has a lot of McBeane traits, but I'm not 100% sure he would be a fit in McD's Defense, but definitely worth a look. He may be a better fit in the Taylor Rapp role.

What do you think??

From Bleacher Report:

Cole Bishop is a multiyear starter with very good size for a safety at 6'2" and 207 pounds. He's an instinctual player with a high football IQ and the versatility to play all over the field. He has the physicality to be a box player and the movement skills to cover in space.

While playing the run game, Bishop excels when he's close to the line of scrimmage. He uses his instincts to identify and react to the run with very good short-area quickness, and he closes on the ball with very good angles. He's a strong tackler who does a good job of fronting up and running through the ball-carrier when in the box, but he tends to dive and have more inconsistent tackling when on the edge. Bishop is a downhill player who does a great job of attacking the line of scrimmage and playing close to or in the backfield.

As a pass defender, Bishop has shown the ability to drop as a deep defender, where he is able to play the routes in front of him and react to the ball in the air. When defending intermediate routes, he has the ability to play man coverage, using his short-area bursts to get out of breaks and drive on the ball.

Bishop does his best when playing as an underneath defender, where he can pass off receivers and has over-the-top help. He is a short strider with some stiff hips, and he struggles to turn and run. He's slow to climb and gain growth, which may cause issues in the NFL.

Though Bishop has versatility within his game, he lacks true scheme versatility. He's best as a box defender, so he'll fit best as a strong safety who can occasionally switch up his look as a deep defender. Bishop could carve out a successful NFL career if the right team selects him.

You nailed it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m a fan of it. Still angry about 33 tho. 

Same, we walk away desperately needing WRs in the deepest Wr draft in decades and we only walk away with Keon Coleman, while giving the fastest player ever to the Chiefs on a silver platter.  TBD narrative does not change mine, TBD narrative would have Josh Allen as a turnover machine and the Bills would be better without him if he was traded tomorrow.  We lost half our team and no wrs and we are somehow better?  Only on TBD.  Any other fan base would tell you the Bills are cooked this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1