The Million-Dollar Question Sticking in My Mind

Roundybout

While walking down Southwestern Boulevard to my car in the gloom and cold last night, the following question stuck in my head:

Why is it so goddamn hard for our offense to make a single play?

Why does Josh have to kill himself for a first down? Why does he have to make pinpoint throws across his body for touchdowns? Why is every receiver covered so easily? 

I take a look at other games, like the Detroit game, and I see playmakers schemed open with ease. Goff is an alright quarterback but he’s helped by guys who are easily open on their own. 

I don’t know whether it’s scheme or talent or both, but it shouldn’t be so difficult to just sustain a drive. 

Case in point, we STILL cannot run a screen to save our lives. Brady kept dialing up screens to Kincaid or Diggs that would gain a few, but never a back-breaking 25 yard catch-and-run. 

Or, Josh throwing a nice ball over the middle to Cook. Would have been an easy touchdown, but it was dropped. Why does he have to truck 6 defenders just to keep a drive alive? 

Why is it so hard for us? 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We’ve completely ignored the offensive side of the ball for 3-4 years.  We have scrubs playing like scrubs.

meanwhiles McD actually has scrubs playing great on D.  

it’s time to invest all out in the offense and let McD coach the scrubs up.

we need 3 new WRs another RB and a better offensive coach. We don’t need high priced DEs LBs or CBs who can’t sack tackle or cover any better than the late rounders Beane brings in.

Edited by peterpan
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

We’ve completely ignored the offensive side of the ball for 3-4 years.  We have scrubs playing like scrubs.

we need 3 new WRs another RB and a better offensive coach. We don’t need high priced DEs LBs or CBs

I think we saw the outcome of a scrub D last night. Last night wasn’t an offense problem!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

While walking down Southwestern Boulevard to my car in the gloom and cold last night, the following question stuck in my head:

Why does Josh have to kill himself for a first down? Why does he have to make pinpoint throws across his body for touchdowns? Why is every receiver covered so easily? 

I take a look at other games, like the Detroit game, and I see playmakers schemed open with ease. Goff is an alright quarterback but he’s helped by guys who are easily open on their own. 

I don’t know whether it’s scheme or talent or both, but it shouldn’t be so difficult to just sustain a drive. 

Case in point, we STILL cannot run a screen to save our lives. Brady kept dialing up screens to Kincaid or Diggs that would gain a few, but never a back-breaking 25 yard catch-and-run. 

Or, Josh throwing a nice ball over the middle to Cook. Would have been an easy touchdown, but it was dropped. Why does he have to truck 6 defenders just to keep a drive alive? 

I blame the Dorsey offense. Brady did a much better job at in game decisions but he was limited to the Dorsey offense. I noticed the exact same thing as you in the last 2 weeks watching the other playoff teams. Even the worst teams got receivers open. Even the worst teams ran deception plays or screens that got great yardage. Those teams were able to make things consistently better and easier for their often inferior QBs (like Rudolph etc) to make plays. But Brady was stuck with Dorsey's Pop Warner playbook. Its an absolute travesty that he came in here and made our offense worse. 

• Like (+1) 2

Aaron Rodgers, while he was a Packer, never threw to a 1st round WR. It was a big thing. 

Since Allen has been drafted the highest a WR has been picked is the 4th round (Gave Davis). One in the 5th (Shakir). You have arguably the most talented QB in the league and you have given him nothing. Ironically enough the one Offensive Position that the Bills draft a lot (RB) is the one that takes the ball outta your QB's hands the most. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

we need 3 new WRs another RB and a better offensive coach. We don’t need high priced DEs LBs or CBs who can’t sack tackle or cover any better than the late rounders Beane brings in.

Yea I’m quoting my own post but it ticks me off.  When Diggs renegotiated his contract it frees up a lot of money.  I was sure it was for Hopkins.  We signed Floyd.  Diggs was furious anyone else remember??!?!?  Because Diggs knew he was the only weapon.

Floyd was a great player this year but he didn’t help us change the result of any games, and was invisible in the playoffs.

Hopkins had a very good year with crap at QB.  Anyone think he has those drops on the 70 yard bombs?!?!? Hell no.  We can beat the Chiefs with Boogie Basham and DHop

All that investment in the D, Chiefs had 21 first downs on 44 plays!!!!!  Boogie Basham can easy play that poorly!!!

Please try to tell it it would be any worse with total nobody’s on the DL.  Withour “studs”,  we only held them to FGs when Mahomes missed wide open TD passes.  The D didn’t stop them - they stopped themselves!!!

And how did we lose? We lost bc we didn’t score.  the way to win in this NFL is to score every single drive.  You can’t beat the chiefs without a score on EVERY - SINGLE  - DRIVE.   The rule changes have turned the league into a video game.  ADAPT!

That means Allen needs 3 great receivers, like Diggs of yesteryear, Smoke Brown and Beasley PLUS a TE like Kincaid and another useful RB to replace Murray.  HOPKINS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A BILL !!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Why is Diggs limited to 10 catches on 24 targets for 63!!! Yards and 0 TDs in the last 3 elimination games for the Bills?

3.3 catches a game and 21 yards isn't going to get it done.

Inexcusable performances from a #1 WR when we need him most.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

You have 4 elements to a great passing game: time for the QB to throw, a great QB, great receivers and an excellent scheme.

The QB we already knew.  And last night the OL was great.  So it must be one of the other two elements that is failing us.

I've said it all season and I'll say it again, I was screaming for DeAndre Hopkins. He would've been a difference maker in this offense, and honestly we may have won the game last night if we had him. We have a very handicapped offense. Diggs is nowhere to be found the last 8 weeks 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Why is Diggs limited to 10 catches on 24 targets for 63!!! Yards and 0 TDs in the last 3 elimination games for the Bills?

Inexcusable performances from a #1 WR when we need him most.

IDK but the Diggs I see struggles for separation. Everyone has a different theory on him. But his stats. Last 100 yard game Oct 15th. 8 of his last 10 games 52 yards or less. 

$28M cap hit next year

Edited by MarkyMannn
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I think we saw the outcome of a scrub D last night. Last night wasn’t an offense problem!

You had 3rd and 4th stringers playing last night in multiple positions on defense yesterday and gave up 27 points to one of the better offenses in league and likely the best QB.  Meanwhile on offense, missing only one starter who everyone wants to get rid of anyway and in 2nd half had one TD and a missed FG on 4 drives including 2 3 and outs.  If all the Bills normal defense starters were playing then would tend to agree, scoring 24 points on KC should be enough to win, but with all the players that were out, needed more. Especially more than 2 3 and outs in 4th quarter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Disagree. The offense only scored 7 points in the second half and made no plays over 20 yards. They have no game breakers on offense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Because our HC has devoted tons of draft and FA assets to his defense that can't stop KC to save its ass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

If your defense was better your  offensive scheme is different last night. The offense choose to ground it out to minimize possession and time from KC’s Offense.

The problem was our defense was so bad they couldn’t stop a nose bleed.

See above.  

So if the defense was better they would have tried to score more than 7 points in 2nd half?  Grinding it out is fine when it's working and you have the lead.  But once KC took the lead you had two 3 and out drives.  With all the injuries going into game on defense, the Bills needed to score more than 24 points to expect to win.  Yes the grind it out is great when it works, but when it stopped working, need something else, and they had very little.

Ask yourself this, before the game started, if you were told the Bills will score 24 points tonight, with all the injuries, would you think 24 points would win the game?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Disagree. The offense only scored 7 points in the second half and made no plays over 20 yards. They have no game breakers on offense 

If your defense was better your  offensive scheme would have been different last night. The offense choose to ground it out to minimize possessions and time from KC’s Offense and the time our D was on the field. 

The problem was our defense was so bad they couldn’t stop a nose bleed.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if the defense was better they would have tried to score more than 7 points in 2nd half?  Grinding it out is fine when it's working and you have the lead.  But once KC took the lead you had two 3 and out drives.  With all the injuries going into game on defense, the Bills needed to score more than 24 points to expect to win.  Yes the grind it out is great when it works, but when it stopped working, need something else, and they had very little.

Ask yourself this, before the game started, if you were told the Bills will score 24 points tonight, with all the injuries, would you think 24 points would win the game?

If the defense was 100% healthy the game plan would have been different. I believe the offense would have been more aggressive.  

I don’t think McD felt good about his D stopping KC or getting into a track meet so he tried to win in a lower scoring contest. With a MASH unit D  it was a 3 pt difference in a mid 20’s game.  Healthy defense they roll KC last night.  Unfortunately the banged up D couldn’t get a stop.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

If the defense was 100% healthy the game plan would have been different. I believe the offense would have been more aggressive.  

I don’t think McD felt good about his D stopping KC or getting into a track meet so he tried to win in a lower scoring contest. With a MASH unit D  it was a 3 pt difference in a mid 20’s game.  Healthy defense they roll KC last night.  Unfortunately the banged up D couldn’t get a stop.

Agree with the strategy, but if McD didn't think his defense could stop KC why would he then think a low scoring game would win it.  Last week against Steelers, that wasn't a bad strategy, but against KC??  Yes grind it out is great as long as they can keep scoring every drive.  But in 2nd half didn't do much on offense other than one drive.  So the banged up D couldn't get a stop, and the healthy offense couldn't score!

Bills invested in a TE who developed much faster than usual but they still didn't even draft the best one. LaPorta looks like an all-pro already.

Torrence is a solid pick 

Brown is starting to look like a solid RT. 

Knox sadly has regressed terribly. Had really high hopes for him but he's not much of a factor in the offense.

Davis just didn't get any better. They took a chance on a couple cast off WRs. 

They need to draft a WR in the first round this year with size and hands. 

Shakir is a baller. Let him play the slot and go get a speed guy with size for the outside. 

And Cook learn to catch. They set up that angle route all year and it was a beautiful call for a walk in TD with a perfectly delivered ball. 

Other NFL teams have players that make amazing catches. Our pass catchers can't even make routine one. 

• Agree 2

Why do people insist on talking about DHop when he was never coming here?

He got a lot more than we gave Floyd.  Hopkins' cap number is nearly $16M next year with dead cap of nearly $8M.  Floyd's cap number is $4.3M next year.

He wanted to get paid more than he wanted to win.  The Chiefs kicked the tires on him too and were basically told the same thing.

And I'll ask again here:  how did DHop do in this postseason?  Exactly.

1 hour ago, Mopreme said:

Well said. All this money spent on the Defensive Line and how many sacks last night?  

I think this is a good point. Joe marino also had a great tweet. And when you combine them I think you really get why the bills continue to fall short.

Short hand what joe said, keys why the bills lost this year: no down feild wr talent, d line didn't show up, special teams, injuries.

This regime has continued to spend massive amounts on the d line and once again we are left standing wondering why we fell short in the playoffs. Might be time to change things up.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I've said it all season and I'll say it again, I was screaming for DeAndre Hopkins. He would've been a difference maker in this offense, and honestly we may have won the game last night if we had him. We have a very handicapped offense. Diggs is nowhere to be found the last 8 weeks 

We win that game with Gabe Davis, in my opinion 

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

We ignored the offense but have scrubs on defense as well? This defense has been amazing this year. They're better than you're giving them credit for.

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Without the Offense, the Chiefs could score 40 points easily yesterday.

It wasnt perfect, they also blew it at the 2 minuts warning, but our best defense was our offense on the field and by far.

The defense did the most they can do, but a lot of offense in the NFL could score at will against them.

Thumps up to our offense to eat the clock and find a way to put some points on the board.

It wasnt not enough, but we played a playoff game against the Chiefs with too many -next man up- on defense. 

It's sad because i'm pretty sure we win that game with an healty defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree with the strategy, but if McD didn't think his defense could stop KC why would he then think a low scoring game would win it.  Last week against Steelers, that wasn't a bad strategy, but against KC??  Yes grind it out is great as long as they can keep scoring every drive.  But in 2nd half didn't do much on offense other than one drive.  So the banged up D couldn't get a stop, and the healthy offense couldn't score!

Give KC’s D some credit they’re not a walk in the park. 

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

I'm shocked that I actually love the combo of Cook and Ty Johnson, particularly with another year under their belts, but it wouldn't hurt to bring another guy in.

Dorsey.

You can't install a whole new playbook midseason.

That's your problem, you trusted a nincompoop to run your offense and doubled down after the 2022 season crumbled. Now you're left trying to decide if you want to give Brady a chance to implement the offense he sees fit, or go and bring in someone else.

Whoever is hired needs more of a firewall between themselves and McDermott. And honestly, that's why they should move away from Brady, he has way too many ties to McDermott's history.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree. The strategy was fine, but the problem was it stopped working in 4th quarter as the Bills offense became ineffective.

Don’t know if you noticed but  KC made an adjustment defensively.

2 hours ago, Mopreme said:

Well said. All this money spent on the Defensive Line and how many sacks last night?  

KC had a great gameplan and their OL played well.  Our DL has been a game wrecker most of the season

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Aaron Rodgers, while he was a Packer, never threw to a 1st round WR. It was a big thing. 

Since Allen has been drafted the highest a WR has been picked is the 4th round (Gave Davis). One in the 5th (Shakir). You have arguably the most talented QB in the league and you have given him nothing. Ironically enough the one Offensive Position that the Bills draft a lot (RB) is the one that takes the ball outta your QB's hands the most. 

This should change this year 🤞

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I blame the Dorsey offense. Brady did a much better job at in game decisions but he was limited to the Dorsey offense. I noticed the exact same thing as you in the last 2 weeks watching the other playoff teams. Even the worst teams got receivers open. Even the worst teams ran deception plays or screens that got great yardage. Those teams were able to make things consistently better and easier for their often inferior QBs (like Rudolph etc) to make plays. But Brady was stuck with Dorsey's Pop Warner playbook. Its an absolute travesty that he came in here and made our offense worse. 

Don't you think this offense we now run is per the vision of our HC? Why do you think dabol and McDermott had a rift? Dabol laughed in mcd face when he would dial up 3 play 50 s drives for a TD.....our offense,defense,plays and everything from the top on down is MCDERMOTT’S process...do you trust it? The baby has been born and its an ugly mother#$#$@!

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

And none of that is going to change until we get coaching who will change our defense first priority and understand in today's nfl the offenses get you that ring....unless you have a top 10 defense of all time the offense powerhouses are gonna win more times than not against the top defense teams...the game has changed and now gives the advantage to offense 

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The grind it out offense with Josh allen at qb is insanity....it forces the offense to be perfect and lots of time gets burnt off the clock just to come up empty...I'd rather an offense philosophy that entails having as many possible possessions for your rocket armed superstar qb

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

The grind it out offense with Josh allen at qb is insanity....it forces the offense to be perfect and lots of time gets burnt off the clock just to come up empty...I'd rather an offense philosophy that entails having as many possible possessions for your rocket armed superstar qb

I can understand this week because of how depleted the defense was, but then need to score pretty much every drive. One TD in second half won't work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Absolutely asinine they haven't put more weapons at WR around Josh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.