Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

19 hours ago, Augie said:

I watched the KC/Miami game in a bar with some guy on his daughter’s phone. (Thanks, Peacock! :censored:)  We’re talking football and having a great time. At some point the daughter says “Go ahead dad, tell him.”  Huh? He was a 1st round pick of the Patriots and played 7 years at safety, including an All Pro year.  (He just gave me his name and Pats* I think ‘78 draft) TONS of cool stories about playing in OP. 

I actually forget his name now, but when his wife left he said she was the one who got him thru the CTE lawsuit. He said his evidence was the ELEVEN documented concussions as determined by team doctors.  He said hardly anybody in my condition could have that drag on for 6.5 years and get to the finish line. It was intentionally difficult, which probably shocks exactly nobody.  Nice guy, fascinating and we hit it off because he’s from my wife’s home town and they all know each other. He apologized, half in jest I think, that if I see you in the morning in the lobby and don’t recognize you, it wasn’t the bourbon. I can’t remember *&^% anymore. 

Tim Fox?  Raymond Clayborn?  Mike Haynes?

8 hours ago, Magox said:

I certainly wouldn’t say that Elam had proven himself but he has shown the ability to make big plays in big games and that is something to take into consideration.

That's the frustrating thing about Elam.  That series in the Steelers game was a microcosm of his Bills career to date:

1) gets run over on a tackle, I grant you by a larger player but our other smaller players hit and stick it

2) gets a well deserved DPI call

3) makes a pick in the EZ

Edited by Beck Water

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's the frustrating thing about Elam.  That series in the Steelers game was a microcosm of his Bills career to date:

1) gets run over on a tackle, I grant you by a larger player but our other smaller players hit and stick it

2) gets a well deserved DPI call

3) makes a pick in the EZ

He was also coming in ice cold (figuratively AND literally) after not having played in like 2 months.  He mentioned that in his postgame comments as well.  According to one of the beat reporters I was listening to, Elam literally couldn't feel his feet for those first few plays.  So I'm willing to give him a pass there.

My hope is that Elam's struggles this year were primarily due to being hurt and trying (unsuccessfully) to play through it.  I thought he played really well down the stretch last year, and it's hard for me to fathom why else he wouldn't be able to play at that level.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Spector and Bernard are the ones I am now most worried about. Initial reports sounded like pain management issues. If they can't even walkthrough...

Was today a walkthrough?  Arent walk throughs projections if it was a full practice?  Happy days has been on point so im gonna continue to trust.

11 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Was today a walkthrough?  Arent walk throughs projections if it was a full practice?  Happy days has been on point so im gonna continue to trust.

Point stands though. One day, no problem. Two days? Uh oh. Three days? Not going to happen

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree. Tomorrow might give us a great picture what's happening with injuries.

Yes, since that's when the final injury designations for the weekend come out.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Get Johnson, Dodson and Douglas back and this Defense still has the ability to make it's mark on Sunday.

Linebacker will be tricky, especially if Rapp can't go and we have to rely more on Dime package, but I do have faith McDermott can get this unit ready to slow down KC and give them problems all game.

The DL is healthy, we have both Hyde & Poyer in a good spot, Douglas says he's 100% and he's one of the best CB's in the league plus gives us that dawg mentality in the back end.  Taron is an All-Pro.  

Jackson & Dodson will have the opportunity to truly make themselves some money this off-season. 

Let's go and get it

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Bernard can't go, Poyer may play closer to the line more often than usual 

Did that change when Bernard went out against Pitt?  I dont think it did.  I expect Poyer to still play in the box on obvious passing downs but on 1st downs would still expect the nickel package.  Was really happy they stuck with dime in passing downs when Taron went out (Hamlin became the dime DB as Cam Lewis moved to NCB).  

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Tim Fox?  Raymond Clayborn?  Mike Haynes?

It was Rick Sanford. Super nice guy, but one of those athletes who had a rough time after sports. It’s funny, you can learn all kinds of things with a quick Google search now, but it appears the CTE settlement got him back in a good place. 

He played at USC (Gamecocks, not Trojans) where my FIL played back in the day. He knows my old boss (Tommy Suggs) who at one point held all the USC passing records and remains the Voice of the Gamecocks. He’s originally from Rock Hill, SC and knows all my wife’s cousins and who went to what high schools. He knew my FIL as the only dentist in town forever and we determined his father must have been at our ginormous wedding. Invite anybody, invite everybody. We hit it off, and he had some amazing stories about playing in OP regarding the players, the crown of the field which was unusually prominent, the plane trying to fly a banner over the stadium into the wind that he thought might stall and crash on them during warmups, etc. 

BTW, we were goofing around a bit, and I can tell you he is still rock solid! 

EDIT: About the crown/pitch of the field he just laughed. “Yeah, they don’t need all that for drainage, they want to be running downhill at your ass!”  😂.   And he DID have ELEVEN concussions. I can see how he might come to feel this way.

I was on the field for concerts back in the 70’s and it really stood out then. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know it is very cold outside and the ground is completely covered, but has anyone suggested to Martin to just rub some dirt on it? 

"go jog it off you wuss"  - my x country coach in HS

• Haha (+1) 2

Not a great looking injury report, but I expected the team to be extra cautious with a Monday game leading into a two day rest disadvantage against the Chiefs. I would guess they are prioritizing rest for the injured players over one extra day of practice. Tomorrow we will get a real sense of who has a realistic chance of playing on Sunday...

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not a great looking injury report, but I expected the team to be extra cautious with a Monday game leading into a two day rest disadvantage against the Chiefs. I would guess they are prioritizing rest for the injured players over one extra day of practice. Tomorrow we will get a real sense of who has a realistic chance of playing on Sunday...

Any more hot leads from your source?

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Encouraging on Taron though. He is the key guy for me

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Can Dorian Williams make a miraculous play for us in a key moment - an INT or fumble recovery? I'm having visions and haven't been drinking or taking drugs

I'm a big fan of Williams.  Thought he looked great in preseason,  really solid last week.  He flys all over the field and is a very aggressive tackler.

Not a lot of experience but dynamic abilities. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Can Dorian Williams make a miraculous play for us in a key moment - an INT or fumble recovery? I'm having visions and haven't been drinking or taking drugs

Harty and Sherfield already made miraculous plays, so keep that karma coming.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I'm a big fan of Williams.  Thought he looked great in preseason,  really solid last week.  He flys all over the field and is a very aggressive tackler.

Not a lot of experience but dynamic abilities. 

I thought he was poor last week. Was lined up wrong at least twice and was easily tricked on misdirection. He runs and hits... but he is susceptible to any clever scheming.

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Did that change when Bernard went out against Pitt?  I dont think it did.  I expect Poyer to still play in the box on obvious passing downs but on 1st downs would still expect the nickel package.  Was really happy they stuck with dime in passing downs when Taron went out (Hamlin became the dime DB as Cam Lewis moved to NCB).  

It didn't change much, but against Pitt, I think we were more focused on stopping the run and short passing game, and telling the Reindeer to beat us deep if he could. 

It's a little tough to decode because 3 different players played OLB and at least 2 different players took on Rapp's role, but as best I can decode the Bills played 2 LB about 75% of the time using Spector then Klein then Williams, and played 3 safeties (Lewis, and then Hamlin) about 25%.

Last week against Miami, Dodson/Spector played 75% of the snaps and Rapp played 25%

Against the Pats where they were very much run/screen focused, Dodson played 87% and Rapp 13%

So they do mix it up, but I think that 75%/25% split is standard, and they just expect Cam Lewis and/or Damar Hamlin to backfill for Rapp.

Capture.jpg

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Augie said:

the crown of the field which was unusually prominent

That high crown is why the Bills switched from white to red helmets; that and the fact that Joe Ferguson was color-blind. Because of the crown Joe often could see only the helmet of the player.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought he was poor last week. Was lined up wrong at least twice and was easily tricked on misdirection. He runs and hits... but he is susceptible to any clever scheming.

He was in the wrong place a few times and tricked, but it was also his first meaningful defensive snaps in 6 weeks and the conditions were challenging (with 70,000 maniacs screaming their heads off).  It's possible he may improve.

It's also the reason he's behind Spector on the depth chart right now, of course.

Can't tell if Dodson is wearing a brace on his shoulder/arm

Looks as though Douglas is wearing a knee brace under those sweats, and I can't say I think he's moving normally

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He was in the wrong place a few times and tricked, but it was also his first meaningful defensive snaps in 6 weeks and the conditions were challenging (with 70,000 maniacs screaming their heads off).  It's possible he may improve.

It's also the reason he's behind Spector on the depth chart right now, of course.

Looks as though Douglas is wearing a knee brace under those sweats, and I can't say I think he's moving normally

Dorian is certainly our most physically gifted LBr

His speed and physicality are very evident...

And he hits like a mack truck.... Very bright future 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

His physical abilities are elite, but if he’s out there KC will surely identify him and attempt to put him in conflict.

Hopefully McDermott can scheme him into some easier assignments and just allow him to play instinctively. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

His physical abilities are elite, but if he’s out there KC will surely identify him and attempt to put him in conflict.

Hopefully McDermott can scheme him into some easier assignments and just allow him to play instinctively. 

Of course he's going to be the guy they want to Target... 

And that's Sean's job... Get his players in the comfortable spots where they can just play

44 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh I think he WILL improve. I am just not sold it will be by this Sunday.

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When the game slows down for him it is all there for him to be really, really good. I feel the Bills are very well stocked at linebacker going forward. Just a shame they are all hurt this weekend!!

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It didn't change much, but against Pitt, I think we were more focused on stopping the run and short passing game, and telling the Reindeer to beat us deep if he could. 

It's a little tough to decode because 3 different players played OLB and at least 2 different players took on Rapp's role, but as best I can decode the Bills played 2 LB about 75% of the time using Spector then Klein then Williams, and played 3 safeties (Lewis, and then Hamlin) about 25%.

Last week against Miami, Dodson/Spector played 75% of the snaps and Rapp played 25%

Against the Pats where they were very much run/screen focused, Dodson played 87% and Rapp 13%

So they do mix it up, but I think that 75%/25% split is standard, and they just expect Cam Lewis and/or Damar Hamlin to backfill for Rapp.

Capture.jpg

Agree with your breakdown and how they have used that package. I hope it remains obvious passing downs or that KC don’t play hurry up after a long 3rd down conversion cause Poyer in the box against a Pacheco rush is gonna be tough for us. 

How did we go from Tuesday’s McDermott media call, saying that no one has been ruled out (yay a positive sign),  to Thursday, none of the injured guys are even doing a walkthrough it looks like EVERYONE is out?!?  Cmon man!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.