Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Couple updates:

-Sam Martin has a grade 2 hamstring strain. He was shot up at halftime of the Steelers game just to be able to execute his punts in the 2nd half, but that is a temporary solution before the swelling sets in. Unlikely he will be available on Sunday.

-Spector may have what's called a "transverse process fracture" in his back (someone more medically educated than me can maybe explain what this is) which is just a pain management issue.

The transverse process is the “wing” on the edge of the spine…it is rarely a surgical injury and I agree, it’s a matter of pain management.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

He signed a futures contract when their season ended.

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-sign-seven-players-to-future-contracts-x3311

So this is an interesting situation. 

A "futures" contract does not take effect until the first day of the following league year.  That's relevant because it doesn't count against the current year cap or 53 man roster limit.

But, unlike a practice squad contract, players who have signed a "futures" contract can not negotiate with other teams.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-futures-contract-everything-you-need-to-know/

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Why do people exaggerate and make stuff up

i. Sure it hurt a lot worse being that cold but I didn’t see anything “bad” on the fall

I saw one angle of the replay and it looked nasty.  And the look on his face, and the way he rode out of the stadium… just didn’t seem good. So glad it’s not catastrophic. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Couple updates:

-Sam Martin has a grade 2 hamstring strain. He was shot up at halftime of the Steelers game just to be able to execute his punts in the 2nd half, but that is a temporary solution before the swelling sets in. Unlikely he will be available on Sunday.

-Spector may have what's called a "transverse process fracture" in his back (someone more medically educated than me can maybe explain what this is) which is just a pain management issue.

I had heard it was not a high ankle sprain

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Couple updates:

"A transverse process fracture is typically the result of a high-impact collision, such as a contact sports injury or motor vehicle accident, but it can also be caused by trauma such as a gunshot wound or a fall from a high altitude. Often, individuals will anticipate the trauma (they see the head-on collision coming, know they are falling off a horse, etc.) and brace for impact. By doing so, they increase their chances of having a TPF, because the spine twists out of alignment just before the traumatic force occurs. Those muscles and ligaments attached to the processes may be constricted by the bracing and cause the bony end of the transverse process to snap off"

Any chance they would right a wrong by giving Araiza his ticket back into the NFL?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seventeen said:

The Punt God ... who else ? 

I know that it's controversial, but if he's stayed in football shape and has been practicing as any free agent would, I would genuinely bring him in for a tryout with one or two guys who are also available. I don't want this team to leave any stone unturned this close to a championship. Dudes involved in far worse situations have been given second chances. If he's the best and he wants to be here, he should be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So what are our options for a punter?

I got Pat O’Donnell on the short list, bet used to very cold weather. I would be surprised if Araiza is the move, but I’d be good with it. Haack has proven he isn’t very good in the cold. Probably not the right move in my opinion, but maybe his holding helps Bass. 

18 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I know that it's controversial, but if he's stayed in football shape and has been practicing as any free agent would, I would genuinely bring him in for a tryout with one or two guys who are also available. I don't want this team to leave any stone unturned this close to a championship. Dudes involved in far worse situations have been given second chances. If he's the best and he wants to be here, he should be.

Wondering if McD/Beane feel it would cause too much controversy and distractions for players ahead of the game....

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I got Pat O’Donnell on the short list, bet used to very cold weather. I would be surprised if Araiza is the move, but I’d be good with it. Haack has proven he isn’t very good in the cold. Probably not the right move in my opinion, but maybe his holding helps Bass. 

Pat O'Donnell, good option.

The thing about Haack is we cut him for Araiza, then we cut Araiza.  It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Haack might have some salt about that.

On the other hand, I'm not a football player and if a guy is sitting home and gets offered $46.5k for a few days work with a chance of up to another $388k, I can see where that could appeal.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

I saw one angle of the replay and it looked nasty.  And the look on his face, and the way he rode out of the stadium… just didn’t seem good. So glad it’s not catastrophic. 

I remember earlier in the year, Bernard was rolling around in pain after a leg injury bad enough that it looked like his season was over, then he came back into the game a few series later.

Maybe he just has a low pain tolerance when an injury first occurs, and Monday was an example of that.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Why do people exaggerate and make stuff up

i. Sure it hurt a lot worse being that cold but I didn’t see anything “bad” on the fall

I originally thought ACL haven’t heard mri results yet

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Wondering if McD/Beane feel it would cause too much controversy and distractions for players ahead of the game....

I think it's as simple as he's never taken a snap in the NFL, never punted or held in a game. It's a huge risk to bring someone like that in such an important game.

• Agree 6

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The thing about Haack is we cut him for Araiza, then we cut Araiza.  It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Haack might have some salt about that.

On the other hand, I'm not a football player and if a guy is sitting home and gets offered $46.5k for a few days work with a chance of up to another $388k, I can see where that could appeal.

He is likely not making the NFL minimum in his current gig. He competed and they cut him. I think he would be excited to come back. The Bills move the ball a lot. So many punts have to be managed inside the 20. Something Martin has been very good at.

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I think it's as simple as he's never taken a snap in the NFL, never punted or held in a game. It's a huge risk to bring someone like that in such an important game.

Yeah fair points...

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

This. He cannot make his NFL debut in this spot, especially after missing two whole seasons. There were already questions about his ability to hold due to inexperience.

It's a recipe for disaster in the Divisional Round of the AFC Playoffs against the Kansas City Chiefs, for crying out loud!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Was at game, never saw Bernard’s injury.   May have avoided a worse injury.   Leg got whipped into rolling under, not a landing or planting of foot to take full body weight on impact.   Ugly as it looked a planted foot would have done more damage.   Hope for the best.  

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I guess it depends on what he is doing now and if he kept in kicking shape.

4 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Did they already hold the Punt, Pass, and Kick contest this year? Give the winners a look Beane!

They need to change it to Punt, Pass, Kick and Hold contest; long snappers get no respect.

• Like (+1) 1

There is no way the bills are going to trust a guy that hasn’t punted in a real game since 2021 for a playoff run. Not only that, but he was still learning to hold during camp as a rookie. If anything, we will go after Matt Haack. 

• Like (+1) 2

Been busy with work all day.  I skimmed a few pages but didn’t see anything concrete.  Except Bernard’s X-rays negative (could be a two week injury) and Spector has a back injury that is basically just pain management 

also seems like Douglas and Dodson have decent chances of playing.  

Any someone post any updates on Taron, Benford and McGovern?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.