Ravens-Niners Live Game Thread

Sierra Foothills

Just now, Sierra Foothills said:

It's true that Shanahan is universally regarded as a master strategist.

That said the biggest blemishes on his career are his 2 Super Bowl appearances.

His horrific playcalling in the New England-Atlanta Super Bowl arguably cost the Falcons the game and his performance against KC is still questioned in the Bay Area.

That's true, and I was living in Atlanta at the time. I don't care about the Falcons, but utterly chagrined that dopey playcalling allowed evil once again to triumph.

McDermott might very well scheme a strong defense that could confuse Purdy. I just don't trust his in game adjustments or capacity to rise to the crisis of the moment. Allen can sometimes overcome our wrs that can't get separation, and zebra bias. It's a strange year, but I do think we could win it all. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Punch said:

Lamar is impressive, despite his flaws.

Purdy is lost.

Problem with the niners are they keep rushing their d ends way up field, allowing Lamar to escape the pocket and use either his legs to run or create new passing lanes. 

I feel Like whenever we play Baltimore our d ends are pretty disciplined setting the edge, not getting too far upfield and forcing Lamar to beat us from the pocket. Niners should have used that gameplan

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

CMC is a great player but he's also the recipient of a very strong run blocking O-line as well as great downfield blockers in Kyle Juszczyk, George Kittle and Deebo Samuel.

He might get the best run blocking in the league.

Shanahan is one of the best in the business at getting production out of RB's, and yes the team around him is good, but he had a couple of monster years in Carolina too when he was healthy enough to play 16. He's one of only 3 players to have both 1,000+ yds rushing and 1,000+ yards receiving in a single season. The other two are Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk. It's not all the team he's on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Punch said:

Lamar is impressive, despite his flaws.

Purdy is lost.

No he's not. He has hit only 3 passes to a WR running their route. And one just happened to Flowers who was so wide open it was easy.

Jackson isn't reading at all. He is reacting at QB. He is missing great windows more successful QB's can hit. He is overcoming it with a balanced run offense, a lackluster niners defense who has a poor gameplan (too far up field, not containing, playing off the ball and not cutting off the under stuff)...

Yeah, the ravens aren't impressing me 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, VaMilBill said:

Problem with the niners are they keep rushing their d ends way up field, allowing Lamar to escape the pocket and use either his legs to run or create new passing lanes. 

I feel Like whenever we play Baltimore our d ends are pretty disciplined setting the edge, not getting too far upfield and forcing Lamar to beat us from the pocket. Niners should have used that gameplan

I've never been anxious against Lamar, although he's improved since we last faced him. I agree, we still match up well.

NFL Team Scoring:

1 Miami  30.9

2 San Francisco  30.4

3 Dallas  30.1

4 Detroit  27.5

5 Baltimore27.4

6 Buffalo  26.9

7 Philadelphia  25.6

8 LA Rams 23.8

9 Indianapolis  23.6

10 Cleveland  23.0

11 Kansas City  22.8

Regardless of how you feel about Lamar Jackson, the Ravens OC Todd Monken has done a nice job with his offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Punch said:

Lamar just moved from +100 to -115.

I'm sure Miami's D will show Him what's up.

What a joke. Miami's defense is night and day ro the niners. They can cut off the under routes, press zone coverage, use linebackers to step up on Jackson.

Ultimately, the weapon next week who will beat the Ravens is Likely.

NFL Team Scoring:

1 Miami  30.9

2 San Francisco  30.4

3 Dallas  30.1

4 Detroit  27.5

5 Baltimore27.4

6 Buffalo  26.9

7 Philadelphia  25.6

8 LA Rams 23.8

9 Indianapolis  23.6

10 Cleveland  23.0

11 Kansas City  22.8

Regardless of how you feel about Lamar Jackson, the Ravens OC Todd Monken has done a nice job with his offense.

Somewhere there is a stat where the offense takes possession nof the ball. I promise the ravens are top 3 in that.

They also have their historically strong special teams 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Yeah, the ravens aren't impressing me 

Their defense is seriously impressing me. No hand waving away their performance tonight.

The offense I agree with you, they have been gifted several easy opportunities and the 49ers seemingly are not even trying to contain Lamar in the pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

He's more rattled than a copperhead's tail under the floorboards at a line dance festival

I don't blame him... Even when he hits a receiver in the hands, they can't hang onto it.

What's going on with Deebo? Dude has bobbled nearly every catch. New gloves or something?

I’ve seen things today I have never or rarely seen. 

— A player tripping over a ref

— a receiver swaying side to side being called a false start

— A punter getting a personal foul

— B2B defensive TDs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Their defense is seriously impressing me. No hand waving away their performance tonight.

The offense I agree with you, they have been gifted several easy opportunities and the 49ers seemingly are not even trying to contain Lamar in the pocket.

Their defense isn't doing anything but taking what is being given to them. Purdy is going short every time. CMC can't be a weapon, not anymore with this score.

The niners lost their identity for this game. It doesn't mean the ravens defense is good. They just shut down the niners short yardage system. Gabe Davis would be a tremendous asset against the ravens like Debo is, but they don't have a Diggs, and Kittle is invisible tonight.

We have a better matchup dynamic than the Niners do for the ravens. Having McKenzie would be a special, special thing in a matchup to them. 

Just now, dakrider said:

I love seeing the 49ers get their arse beat at home and their overrated QB looking like crap.

True, but Lamar is almost more overrated than Purdy this year. And after the Ravens defense made his life 100x easier, he's going to get even mroe credit.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Punch said:

Lamar just moved from +100 to -115.

I'm sure Miami's D will show Him what's up.

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

What a joke. Miami's defense is night and day ro the niners. They can cut off the under routes, press zone coverage, use linebackers to step up on Jackson.

Miami's defense has played well even with the considerable loss of Jaelan Phillips.

Vic Fangio's system is really trending in a good direction for the Dolphins.

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Trent Williams out.  Groin injury.  

Ouch. What a disastrous night for San Francisco.

Just now, BigDingus said:

True, but Lamar is almost more overrated than Purdy this year. And after the Ravens defense made his life 100x easier, he's going to get even mroe credit.

No way is Lamar more overrated than Purdy. At least he makes plays that change the game. Even if he is inconsistent as a passer. Purdy just follows the script.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.