Playoff Lenny should be active rest of year...

Hebert19

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As it stands, the 3rd most used RB on a given week is given extremely low snap counts. vs. The Chargers - James Cook had 41 snaps, Leonard Fournette had 10 snaps, and Latavius Murray had 7 snaps. A 4th RB? Maybe a couple snaps? Meanwhile, Trent Sherfield was used (albeit primarily as a blocker) in formations at WR in 33 snaps. Double the amount of snaps RB's 2 and 3 combined got.

There is ZERO chance they'd utilize a 4th RB and short themselves to 4 WR's. 

I think you are thinking of a position of Sherfield can not be replaceable.  Fournette adds a different dimension.  Sherfield's snaps if all he does is block can be replaced by any one of our TEs, he's not a threat if we never throw him the ball.  Again the position is extremely interchangeable with a different player regardless of player.  Don't get caught up in what players position numbers are, rather how do they add a dimension to this offense.  Harty gives the potential of a deep threat that no other receiver does but Sherfield does not provide anything unique.  Fournette gives the experience of being a super bowl champ so when the game is big he can rise to the occasion no matter the situation.  Also if you want to look at last season they used 4 RBs (not including Gilliam) every game last year.  The position that was short though was Tight end.  So you could look at it like Sherfield would be replaced by Kincaid.

9 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

When Ty Johnson returns to the line up, I will take Fournette over Murray.  Fournette seems to bring more burst and power than Murray.  Fournette is better back up as RB1 if James Cook can't go.  Ty Johnson is solid RB2

I believe he has skills but I think he would be bigger for special teams

On 12/24/2023 at 7:43 AM, co_springs_billsfan said:

Thanks for the jinx you jive turkey!

On 12/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, boyst said:

It's actually two fumbles running on 1,137.

And 2 fumbles on 312 catches. 

Thank you... to complete the picture:

Fournette has 4 fumbles on 1449 touches which is one fumble every 362 touches.

Cook has 5 fumbles on 358 touches which is one fumble every 72 touches.

Put differently Cook fumbles at a rate about 5 times more than Fournette.

Latavius Murray has 11 fumbles on 1798 touches which is one fumble every every 163 touches.

Ty Johnson has 4 fumbles in 324 touches which is one fumble every 81 touches.

James Cook's development has been one of the really nice stories of the season but he has to protect the ball better and while he's doing that, it would be nice if he cut down on his drops.

Edited by Sierra Foothills

19 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think you are thinking of a position of Sherfield can not be replaceable.  Fournette adds a different dimension.  Sherfield's snaps if all he does is block can be replaced by any one of our TEs, he's not a threat if we never throw him the ball.  Again the position is extremely interchangeable with a different player regardless of player.  Don't get caught up in what players position numbers are, rather how do they add a dimension to this offense.  Harty gives the potential of a deep threat that no other receiver does but Sherfield does not provide anything unique.  Fournette gives the experience of being a super bowl champ so when the game is big he can rise to the occasion no matter the situation.  Also if you want to look at last season they used 4 RBs (not including Gilliam) every game last year.  The position that was short though was Tight end.  So you could look at it like Sherfield would be replaced by Kincaid.

It's obvious that you would do that. But there's no chance McDermott does.

He's not going to bench a guy he's been using extensively and distribute his reps across the board elsewhere for a guy that he only activated because another player was injured.

Fournette got a total of 10 snaps and touched the ball only 5 times for 20 yards total. With Johnson back in the lineup, he'd get even less reps as the 4th RB - if they were to do that. His performance on Sunday didn't force anyone's hand. And a 4th RB would get so little usage, it's not worth it.

You may feel he's worthy of changing around the offensive personnel and leaving us with 4 total WR's. But I reiterate, there's practically a zero chance McDermott would do what you would here.

There's a MUCH better chance he'd sit Johnson or Murray for Fournette. But I don't think that's very likely either. If you're a Fournette fan, you have to hope Johnson's shoulder sidelines him another week. Otherwise, he's not getting activated this week.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

he had a 9 yard run.  total of 20 yards.

Yes, but they were pounding runs when we needed them. Between Ty, Cook and Lenny we have a strong backfield. I thinkwe see Murray sit for Lenny. Coaches saw what they needed to see. Lenny ran for 2 first downs on short yardage. That's playoff football right there. Grind it out and that's what he and Ty will do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

Yes, but they were pounding runs when we needed them. Between Ty, Cook and Lenny we have a strong backfield. I thinkwe see Murray sit for Lenny. Coaches saw what they needed to see. Lenny ran for 2 first downs on short yardage. That's playoff football right there. Grind it out and that's what he and Ty will do.

nah..

3 yards on a 1st and 10

5 yards on a 2nd and 2 for a 1st down

9 yards on a 1st and 10

0 yards on a 2nd and 1

3 yards on a 1st and 10

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know Fournette has always looked slow and I know he doesn't fumble.

But didn't he look particularly slow against the Chargers?

Cook hits holes with burst.  Lenny kind of slowly rumbles into them.  

Agreed that Fournette does not have speed of Cook or Johnson.  But In my eye, Fournette looks faster and quicker than Murray.

4 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Umm ya, back to back runs there that put is inthe RZ for a TD. Thanks, but nice try.

Cook put them in the RZ on that drive, not Fournette. 

Lenny had 2 carries in the second half (3 yards)--1  in each Q.  In the 3rd, he got stuffed on 2nd and goal from the 1.  Josh ran it in on the next play.

Keep going though...

• Eyeroll 1

On 12/26/2023 at 11:54 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's obvious that you would do that. But there's no chance McDermott does.

He's not going to bench a guy he's been using extensively and distribute his reps across the board elsewhere for a guy that he only activated because another player was injured.

Fournette got a total of 10 snaps and touched the ball only 5 times for 20 yards total. With Johnson back in the lineup, he'd get even less reps as the 4th RB - if they were to do that. His performance on Sunday didn't force anyone's hand. And a 4th RB would get so little usage, it's not worth it.

You may feel he's worthy of changing around the offensive personnel and leaving us with 4 total WR's. But I reiterate, there's practically a zero chance McDermott would do what you would here.

There's a MUCH better chance he'd sit Johnson or Murray for Fournette. But I don't think that's very likely either. If you're a Fournette fan, you have to hope Johnson's shoulder sidelines him another week. Otherwise, he's not getting activated this week.

Other than it was done last year?

On 12/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, FilthyBeast said:

I have a feeling it's coming and why they elevated him against the Chargers to get 'Playoff Lenny' ready for just that. Cook has been great but you can't trust him in big moments and McD knows that.

Also I think Murray gets cut and put on practice squad to make room for Daquan Jones.

The reason Fournette played is because Ty Johnson was medically unable to play. I don't buy your theory though I think Fournette played well enough to be considered for more playing time.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, Toledo Bill said:

It would not be McD’s style to use Lenny and bench Murray. I would be very surprised.

I would be surprised but not shocked if Fournette displaced Murray on game days. Murray is the leader in the RB Room and a respected veteran but I believe that because he's a team player he would step aside without causing a disruption.

38 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Other than it was done last year?

Is this a guessing game?

Edited by Sierra Foothills

On 12/27/2023 at 3:37 PM, Toledo Bill said:

It would not be McD’s style to use Lenny and bench Murray. I would be very surprised.

One point in favor of doing this would be that it gives Murray a week off before hitting the playoffs.  Veteran guys like him could definitely appreciate a late bye week to get fresh for the playoffs.

I was hoping Lenny wouod be our version of LeGarrette Blount who went to New England later in his career, around 2015-2016. Fournette probably wouldn’t be used here enough to be as productive as Blount but he’s a tough inside veteran runner.  Definitely could use him but with Murray playing pretty well it’s a tough call who gets touches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/24/2023 at 10:27 AM, Hebert19 said:

He will be active rest if way. Key here. 4 career fumbles. Ya you read that right. He has only fumbled 4 times. Plus he has big game experience and is a great receiver and blocker.

He fumbled twice in his rookie season, and since then he has 2 fumbles in his last 1,145 touches! That is amazing — a 0.17 percent fumble rate since 2018. Cook’s rate this year is 1.6 percent.

4 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Elevate Lenny next week over Murray.  So much about the locker room leader BS, I have seen enough of Murray.

This please.  Murray is looking his age and brings no value.  Lenny is trustworthy with the rock, blocking and catching. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, peterpan said:

Murray is horrible.   Cool can’t be trusted to hold onto the ball.  And Ty Johnson still has a shoulder problem.

what is this team thinking!?!?!?!?  

How dare you question the front office and coaches of the Bills! They are professionals! They know so much more than you, and are infinitely smarter than you re football decisions! 🙄😂

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

Murray was terrible today. It should be Lenny the rest of the way. We’ll see. Normally I’d say there’s. I way McD makes that call but he did bench Non Miller today. 

Murray is most forgettable Bill RB ever. He looks like a guy who would be hard to bring down but gets blown up pretty easily. His blocking is decent and his tush push on Josh  today was good but the inconsistency on the catches is maddening. Some great catches followed by some embarrassing drops. Today's 3rd and one play was piss poor.

22 hours ago, zow2 said:

I was hoping Lenny wouod be our version of LeGarrette Blount who went to New England later in his career, around 2015-2016. Fournette probably wouldn’t be used here enough to be as productive as Blount but he’s a tough inside veteran runner.  Definitely could use him but with Murray playing pretty well it’s a tough call who gets touches.

This didn’t age well … the Murray playing well part anyway, but I’d take our version of Blount any day 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Murray is most forgettable Bill RB ever. He looks like a guy who would be hard to bring down but gets blown up pretty easily. His blocking is decent and his tush push on Josh  today was good but the inconsistency on the catches is maddening. Some great catches followed by some embarrassing drops. Today's 3rd and one play was piss poor.

He’s completely dropped off throughout the year 

12 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

This didn’t age well … the Murray playing well part anyway, but I’d take our version of Blount any day 

Yeah, it’s totally Lenny Fournette time in that role.  Murray got himself benched today, although i didn’t concentrate on his pass protections, which is part of the reason he comes in.

Just now, zow2 said:

Yeah, it’s totally Lenny Fournette time in that role.  Murray got himself benched today, although i didn’t concentrate on his pass protections, which is part of the reason he comes in.

That may be the ONLY reason he comes in, and from the way Josh was running around back there today, he probably sucked at pass pro too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.