Bills @ Chargers post game thread

Fan in Chicago

Just now, Bimmer323i said:

After today I just don’t really trust McDermott to have us ready for these last 2 big games down the stretch…. I don’t know what he did or said to the team but we looked completely opposite of what we looked like last week

Disagree.  We outplayed them on offense and defense.  We managed to lose the turnover battle by 3 and still won.  The team showed up to play against a team that was playing with a ton of emotion.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

After today I just don’t really trust McDermott to have us ready for these last 2 big games down the stretch…. I don’t know what he did or said to the team but we looked completely opposite of what we looked like last week

Don’t worry Bimmer323i, Sal Capaccio will be right there with the “Jet Lag” and “short week” excuse. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

3 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

I don't think people understand just how big of an advantage it is where a team can prepare for their opponent but their opponent cannot really prepare for them because they have nothing on film to really prepare for or know any tendencies about.  It's why teams win so often the week after firing their coaches.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

This is the epitome of “I only watch highlights of other teams but scrutinize everything the Bills do.” 

Saying no one wants to face them doesn’t mean they are going to the Super Bowl, but they won’t be an easy out. You’re just having an easy reaction to a tough win. Maybe that makes you feel better if they do lose in the playoffs, I don’t know, but every team that’s about to be in the playoffs has ugly wins on their resume. I’ll take an ugly win every day of the week-it’s the NFL, every team can win on any day

To your point the Dolphins had a very ugly loss to the Titans, I’ll take this any day. Although man it was ruff to watch! I almost took the family to the game, glad I didn’t put the through that 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

Mercy that was far too stressful. Team’s energy level was off from the get go with is just unacceptable. Not sure if I liked their overall offensive game plan as they were almost 50/50% run to pass. 

This should have been a game to get the passing offense humming as the Chargers have been putrid defending the pass.  Josh looked off from the onset. I really wish they would do more design runs on the edges vs up the middle when they run Josh. 

Harty and Cook with bad turnovers. 
Von was MIA this game and looked uninspired.

Ed with a strong night but the rest of the DL was non impactful far too often

Josh seemed to ignore the easy passes tonight.

Nice to see Shakir and Gabe contribute

Strong night for Martin

The Jekyl and Hyde personality with this team is maddening!

9-6 and in control of their playoff destiny! On to New England. Let’s go Dallas and Raiders!

Merry Christmas BillsMafia!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree,  if the drive after Chargers got their FG to get within 2 points.  You have the better QB,  you go down the field passing the ball and take control of the game

Exactly. You're not playing Patrick mahomes, you're playing a guy named Easton Stick in his second career start 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Big lane, but many Bills not in the pic.  Don’t think it would have been a score.

There was a view where the camera pulled back and there were 5 or 6 Bills between the 30 - 40 yard line shadowing events.  There was NO way the Chargers were going to score on that play.  The reason they even completed a couple of pitches inside their own 40 was that the Bills were not committing their players.  In fact it was a very good design by the Bills special team coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Why do they always play down to their opponents??? I know it’s a W but doesn’t feel great. 

I'm not sure they did.  Chargers had a lot of advantages in this game from preparation and tendencies...Bills really were flying blind in terms of game planning.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, balln said:

Wayyyyyy too much edwards. My god what were the snap counts. Do we need him in there as extra tackle / TE to exclusively run the same two plays? W no razzle dazzle off it?

I would hope there is something more in the playbook than just a run in that formation. With the film only showing the run out of the formation it would certainly set an opponent up if they needed something a bit more razzle dazzle later.

28 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

That's the guy that left the Chiefs game in McDermott's, Frasier's and the Defense's hands with 13 seconds in 2021.

25 minutes ago, KCNC said:

Big shout out to Shakir.  All 3 catches were HUGE.  Also, my heart can't take this much anymore...

They got to find more ways to get him involved he just keeps delivering, and I really hope Davis is finally getting over his yips.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

He must have said something to them to make Harty and Cook not hang onto the ball. He must have said something to them that made Allen get a little lazy on the interception he threw. He must have said something to make Brown leg whip a guy that was a needless action.

What do you think he said to make all those things happen? Because outside of that, they looked decent to me except for a slow start on offense.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, NyQuil said:

FinHeaven is taking this as well as you'd expect.

They’re adorable. 
2 weeks ago, they were ready to ship Tua out of town and fire McDaniel. They all said the Bills will destroy them in week 18.

Then they beat the Jets, and we win a close one tonight… and the dolphins fans are already claiming victory tomorrow, and against us in week 18. 

The Bills will NEED to play better football going forward, but I actually think these Dolphins fans are more delusional than we are!

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Mercy that was far too stressful. Team’s energy level was off from the get go with is just unacceptable. Not sure if I liked their overall offensive game plan as they were almost 50/50% run to pass. 

This should have been a game to get the passing offense humming as the Chargers have been putrid defending the pass.  Josh looked off from the onset. I really wish they would do more design runs on the edges vs up the middle when they run Josh. 

Harty and Cook with bad turnovers. 
Von was MIA this game and looked uninspired.

Ed with a strong night but the rest of the DL was non impactful far too often

Josh seemed to ignore the easy passes tonight.

Nice to see Shakir and Gabe contribute

Strong night for Martin

The Jekyl and Hyde personality with this team is maddening!

9-6 and in control of their playoff destiny! On to New England. Let’s go Dallas and Raiders!

Merry Christmas BillsMafia!!!!

I thought Rousseau was good early and Ford made some plays as well.  Floyd and Miller were quiet though.  Need Epenesa and Jones back in there.

• Agree 3

ARTICLE 5. FREE KICK CROSSES GOAL LINE

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

is not touched by the receiving team, and the ball touches the ground in the end zone.

straight from NFL regulations website. 

This sounds like that kickoff should have been a safety to me. 

I’m still confused why that wasn’t the call, also that should have been a Bills TD in the Huston playoff game a few years back 🤬

• Agree 1

In the end I think this win was more satisfying than the blowout I hoped for and expected. And more beneficial to the team's progress than a blowout win would have been. (Though for most of the game I was really cursing out those Charger players making plays, shocking even myself with some of my word combinations.)

It showed the Bills can overcome an overall very mediocre performance and prevail on the road.

It also showed the team something they do not want to experience again in the next 7 weeks.  So they learned yet another valuable lesson, one that will make them even stronger.

When they showed the AFC playoff picture after the game, the Bills now in 6th place in the playoffs if the season ended today, I just sat there smiling at the image on the TV like a kid coming into the living room on Christmas morning  and seeing the presents under the Christmas tree!  Strange but true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, 0017 said:

is not touched by the receiving team, and the ball touches the ground in the end zone.

I’m still confused why that wasn’t the call, also that should have been a Bills TD in the Huston playoff game a few years back 🤬

I’m sorry.  What play was this?

• Haha (+1) 2

I know a lot of posters are frustrated and out of their heart meds. But Josh and the Boys just gave us a win to savor over Christmas, while vaulting into the #6 seed position.  

Yeah it was ugly… but man it feels so much better drinking to this win than the alternative would have been.   Enjoy people.  The season is just beginning !! 

Go BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 0017 said:

This didn’t get enough attention. I felt like I needed an explanation here. 

I understand he called fair catch, but he muffed the football and then took a knee in the end zone. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I don’t know if this is a popular take or not but I find Chris Brown’s “ride em cowboy!!!” call after every Ed Oliver sack to be incredibly cringey 

I can't listen to Chris Brown. He is cringeworthy.

27 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Anyone seen Cesear around here? 

Haven’t seen him around lately? 

hello-darkness-depression.gif

40 minutes ago, chongli said:

Makes up for the Jets fiasco!!!

Not for nothing but don't the Chargers have decent weapons on Offense, them being down Herbert and Staley being an idiot was always the big things for me going into this week. Staley getting fired sucked and the new guy definitely got them to play. So with dangerous weapons a chaos play like that can be a pain in the ass, especially I'd think if you have a scheme heavy defense which I think we have. But I might just be wrong. Also It's important to remember you just have to get a stop there's no FG anymore.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Most important game of the season and the Bills beat a team that just fired their HC/GM, and missing their starting QB, #1/#2WR, C, and starting DE by 2 points.  This is the same ***** we pulled against the Dolphins in the playoffs last year.  McD rarely has this team ready to play.  They are the dumbest, most undisciplined team in the league.  I don’t care what happens the remainder of this season, I will never be sold on McDingus as the HC.

On any NFL weekend, half the coaches lose.  I'm ecstatic our coach was in the upper 50%.  

A good coach wins big sometimes, wins nailbiters other times, and even loses sometimes.  The Bills could have played better but I'm thrilled to be on the winning side of things.  

Calling the head coach names ("McDingus") is silly.  The world is effed up enough.  We don't have to add to it by being disrespectful to each other.  But let me ask, since you said that you don't care what happens the rest of the season.  Are you saying that if McDermott's Bills win the Super Bowl, you still won't be sold on him?  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

35 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

He did “ride ‘em cowboy” twice.  Kinda goofy.

I will say he has improved.  Has stopped pressing so hard to make memorable calls.

Not according to highlight calls I'll here on GR on Monday. Turn the volume down time.

Edited by beerme1

I will say there was one thing that had me scratching my head tonight…..

After last week and almost having 2 punts blocked, the Bills had Damar Hamlin in punt protection tonight.

I mean, it worked but I have to admit I said WTF when I noticed.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

I will say there was one thing that had me scratching my head tonight…..

After last week and almost having 2 punts blocked, the Bills had Damar Hamlin in punt protection tonight.

I mean, it worked but I have to admit I said WTF when I noticed.

He's been backup at that all year, and Rapp did a bad job at that last week They gave Demar a shot. Makes sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.