Overtime Rules for Playoffs

VaMilBill

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but I have a feeling some individuals at One Bills Drive reads this board and pulls some info from here. Maybe not coaches, but people close with decision makers. 

Anyways, with the new OT rules created post 13 seconds for the playoffs, I can’t imagine a scenario where you would ever want to receive if you win the toss. 

All the advantage lies with the kicking team. If you get a quick stop and force a 3 and out, you probably end up with good field position and the chance to win the game on a FG. 

If you’re defense is gassed and has been getting gashed all game, like we were in 13 seconds and the Eagles game this year (second half), then it allows you to maybe get lucky with a stop or a turnover. And if the opponent ends up scoring a TD, you know your team also needs a TD. On top of that you have four downs on each set of downs as well. If you score a TD, go for two and end the game without having to put the onus back on defense (control your own destiny so to speak). 

Does anyone have counterpoints to this?

Reason why I bring this up is because I think we’ve all seen how it seems as though the kicking team has the advantage in OT this year. On top of that, we suck in OT under McD. Hope McD picks up some pointers and can apply them if we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, boyst said:

if the offense scores a TD on the opening drive does that take away the chance for the kicking team in OT from possesing the ball?

Both teams get the ball and get a chance to match and then next points after that wins. I'd like to see an entire additional quarter or half of a quarter played. Who wouldn't want more football?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

If you’re defense is gassed and has been getting gashed all game, like we were in 13 seconds and the Eagles game this year (second half), then it allows you to maybe get lucky with a stop or a turnover.

If your D is gassed, better to get the ball first and let them rest then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Both teams get the ball and get a chance to match and then next points after that wins. I'd like to see an entire additional quarter or half of a quarter played. Who wouldn't want more football?

Hockey rules   10 min ot. 2 timeouts. No reviews. If an injured player stops the clock the team can either use a to or he cannot return to the game. If 3 players do this the third player is removed and a to taken. 

Its not perfect but its way better than 13 secs or the AFCCG when the Pats beat the Chiefs. 13 seconds should have not gotten to overtime but once it did who won the toss won the game. I thought at the time that once we lost the toss we should have onside kicked it. There was no way we were going stop anything with or tired defense and McD and Frazier's soft zone.

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Hockey rules   10 min ot. 2 timeouts. No reviews. If an injured player stops the clock the team can either use a to or he cannot return to the game. If 3 players do this the third player is removed and a to taken. 

Hockey rules?  I agree.  Seven-man football in overtime!!

3 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but I have a feeling some individuals at One Bills Drive reads this board and pulls some info from here. Maybe not coaches, but people close with decision makers. 

Christ, I hope not.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Quarter?  Gee imagine an  extra quarter football in the playoffs, after an entire grueling season,  wouldn't be any disadvantage in the next playoff game if they win (and not the SuperBowl).

NEVER HAPPEN.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, chongli said:

If your D is gassed, better to get the ball first and let them rest then.

If my D is gassed going into OT then one of my scrubs on the KO team is going to trip and get injured on his jog out for the kickoff and lay on the field for 10 minutes “injured”

Edited by peterpan
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but I have a feeling some individuals at One Bills Drive reads this board and pulls some info from here. Maybe not coaches, but people close with decision makers. 

Anyways, with the new OT rules created post 13 seconds for the playoffs, I can’t imagine a scenario where you would ever want to receive if you win the toss. 

All the advantage lies with the kicking team. If you get a quick stop and force a 3 and out, you probably end up with good field position and the chance to win the game on a FG. 

If you’re defense is gassed and has been getting gashed all game, like we were in 13 seconds and the Eagles game this year (second half), then it allows you to maybe get lucky with a stop or a turnover. And if the opponent ends up scoring a TD, you know your team also needs a TD. On top of that you have four downs on each set of downs as well. If you score a TD, go for two and end the game without having to put the onus back on defense (control your own destiny so to speak). 

Reason why I bring this up is because I think we’ve all seen how it seems as though the kicking team has the advantage in OT this year. On top of that, we suck in OT under McD. Hope McD picks up some pointers and can apply them if we are fortunate enough to make the playoffs. 

If people at One Bills Drive read this forum, Sean McDermott would have been weeks ago and the Bills would be looking into trading multiple 1st round draft picks to trade for Brian Daboll as HC 😂

Only way they this forum is for entertainment purposes or to get a gauge on what fans might be saying about the team.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Overtime it should be a shoutout between kickers. 

Start from 35 yards fg and from there get farther, 40, 45, 50, 55 and maybe from here add a single yard on each kick, until one of the kicker miss his attempt. 

If both miss their attempt, they repeat from the same spot.

That way will be a new exciting for fans IMHO and will give the kickers great lights. 

Edited by Italian Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

College teams want the offense to get the ball second so they know how many points they need to score and can tailor their play calling to achieve the desired result.  I imagine most NFL coaches would feel the same with the new playoff OT rules where each team is guaranteed one possession.  The only way I could see a team taking the ball first is if their defense is gassed.

17 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I think taking the ball first statistically gives you the best odds of winning.  Sure the other team gets a chance to posess the ball and it would be nice to go second so you know what you're up against.

But what happens if both teams score a touchdown? Then the first team gets the ball, and now all they need to do is score a FG to win.  The other team doesn't get a chance to match the FG.

Also,  lmao at thinking OBD is following this forum. 

19 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I think taking the ball first statistically gives you the best odds of winning.  Sure the other team gets a chance to posess the ball and it would be nice to go second so you know what you're up against.

But what happens if both teams score a touchdown? Then the first team gets the ball, and now all they need to do is score a FG to win.  The other team doesn't get a chance to match the FG.

Also,  lmao at thinking OBD is following this forum. 

That’s why I say take the ball second and go for two to win it instead of giving it back to a defense that is gassed / hasn’t been able to get any stops

20 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

The counter argument….

if they get the ball first, get a TD

you come back get a TD

they get ball and kick a FG…they win.

13 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Why? If you kick off and they score a TD you look ridiculous. I disagree. Take the ball. 

In regular season OT….choice depends onnthr opponrnt.

if it’s a heavy defense low scoring game like a 13-13 game…if I win the toss I’d kick off givrn thr likelihood of stopping thrm  in a 3 and out and getting the ball at my 35-45 only needing a FG to win.

if this is a back and forth higher scoring game then I take the ball first to get a game winning TD.  In playoff OT the other team post TD gets the ball to try and score.

13 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Why? If you kick off and they score a TD you look ridiculous. I disagree. Take the ball.

Normally this would be true, but the way that game was going offensively for the Bills it was a no brainer decision to kick off and make Zack Wilson try and beat you with a touchdown. 

Excellent thread and strategy talking points!

I hadn't considered that previously, but I think you are absolutely right.

The smart move is in deferring in playoff OT.

Either way I hope we don't go to OT any more this year. These McD coached Bills have been abysmal in ivertime.

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Eff that!  All skill positions must wear 50s, 60s, 70s or 90s and all other jersey numbers are ineligible to carry the ball. 

the ball can only be thrown by the opposite predominant arm. only 11 yards can be gained on any down.

I highly doubt Brandon Beane is sitting down in McDermott's office saying ... "Hey Coach, SchlongSteve from TwoBillsDrive says we should do XYZ in certain situations...what are your thoughts on the matter?"

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Negan said:

Side point...

The Bills should have absolutely kicked off in OT against the Jets week one.

If Buffalo had done that and the Jets get a KR TD or a fluke play that scores the TD are you ready for the narrative of 

"Why would you not give the ball to Josh Allen? McDermott totally neutered Allen here, showed no confidence in one of the best QBs in the NFL. What a stupid decision". 

And now that becomes yet another talking point on why McDermott should be fired. Always easier to pass the test after the answers are given out.

5 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

The Bills are going to be the first team ever to lose in OT after getting the ball first and scoring a TD. Just watch. 

I never even considered that could happen until I read this, and now it's my biggest fear.

6 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Overtime it should be a shoutout between kickers. 

Start from 35 yards fg and from there get farther, 40, 45, 50, 55 and maybe from here add a single yard on each kick, until one of the kicker miss his attempt. 

If both miss their attempt, they repeat from the same spot.

That way will be a new exciting for fans IMHO and will give the kickers great lights. 

What about a game of horse between the kickers? Some trick shots from all over the stadium. Would be amazing in a snowstorm.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If Buffalo had done that and the Jets get a KR TD or a fluke play that scores the TD are you ready for the narrative of 

"Why would you not give the ball to Josh Allen? McDermott totally neutered Allen here, showed no confidence in one of the best QBs in the NFL. What a stupid decision". 

And now that becomes yet another talking point on why McDermott should be fired. Always easier to pass the test after the answers are given out.

I never even considered that could happen until I read this, and now it's my biggest fear.

What about a game of horse between the kickers? Some trick shots from all over the stadium. Would be amazing in a snowstorm.

You would be an excellent comic: never thought about that career ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Normally this would be true, but the way that game was going offensively for the Bills it was a no brainer decision to kick off and make Zack Wilson try and beat you with a touchdown. 

I hear you on the mindset but I’m not sure the math would support that. 

1 hour ago, Your Brown Eye said:

I highly doubt Brandon Beane is sitting down in McDermott's office saying ... "Hey Coach, SchlongSteve from TwoBillsDrive says we should do XYZ in certain situations...what are your thoughts on the matter?"

That made me chuckle

I think the head coach needs to have a good gauge on the team. If they don’t think they can make a defensive stop then it’s better to take the ball first. If the other team gets the ball first and marches for a TD then we march for a TD the other team then only needs a FG. Even if they don’t march for a TD and say they get close to midfield then our offense likely is starting with poor field position. 

if they are confident they can make a quick stop then yeah I think it’s better to kick. Otherwise better to receive. 

Edited by Scott7975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.