Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

5 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

We will know how the players feel when we see who shows up this Sunday

No we won't.  The Bills will be out there trying to win.  Now if they go down 20 and turtle, that's another story.😜🤣

Did you post this so you can come back Monday and say "I told you so" 

What actually would be funny and apropo is if everything goes right and somehow they do win a game that comes down to the final defensive side of the ball. 

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

McD's defense looked better than Frazier's with Jones, Milano, and White in there healthy.

IMO this was a good, protective move to try to shake up a stale aspect of the team.  I just think it was somewhat of a mistake for McDermott to add DC play calling on his workload.  There’s a number of experienced DC’s on his staff along with several up and comers who might have been able to breath new life into the same defense 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

McD's defense looked better than Frazier's with Jones, Milano, and White in there healthy.

Debatable given who we played. But fair enough. So you think Frazier just “needed some time off” or did he feel like he’s was worried he was going to get scapegoated? If you had to guess? Knowing that he still has a desire to be a coach and left on his own? 

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

IMO this was a good, protective move to try to shake up a stale aspect of the team.  I just think it was somewhat of a mistake for McDermott to add DC play calling on his workload.  There’s a number of experienced DC’s on his staff along with several up and comers who might have been able to breath new life into the same defense 

Do you think the article describes a guy that would freely give up defensive play call duties or one that would want to maintain control over them even if it wasn’t for the best? 

25 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

maybe…. The players don’t give a s*** about something that was said 4 years ago and think it is stupid they are being asked about it and just say no comment.   

but sure keep reaching

Also it’s very likely that, regardless of what they truly of McD, the players all know that Tyler Dunne is an assclown hack and see no need to even acknowledge his “story”.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve spent my 20 year-career reading people. It isn’t necessarily the words that they say, it’s body language, tone, intent, cadence, confidence, etc… Authenticity is one of the most important qualities in a person. He lacks that. 

McDermott always felt like a bit of a fraud to me. He seemed like that friend’s dad that you didn’t really like growing up. He felt like he’d be nice to your face but deep down didn’t want you around his kid. One of the least surprising things about this article was the part about him being annoyed that the WRs bought Chad Hall that truck. That feels “on brand.” This isn’t meant to be a comparison but do you think Mike McDaniel would care if his WRs bought their coach a truck? That guy feels REAL. That’s not meant to say “McDanel = good and McDermott = bad.” I think that we’d all agree that McDaniel feels more authentic than McDermott. 

I do not think that McDermott was “admiring” the terrorists. He isn’t evil. He’s just fake. I think that he poorly chose his words. He has spent the last half-dozen years trying to keep things tight within OBD. I believe that he believes that’s what’s best for the team. I also believe that it’s because he doesn’t want all of “the truths” out there. It’s a little of that too. 

I don’t want him gone because he said something stupid in 2019. I want him gone because isn’t the guy to take this team across the finish line IMO. 

This is going to hurt, but you’re not as good at reading people as you think you are. 

McDaniel is an absolute fraud. McDermott is authentic. 

What you’re perceiving is a wall that McDermott puts up in front of the blood hungry media. And now you see why. They’ll devour you the second you’re down. 

You’re a good poster, but now I’ll be second guessing your posts. REALLY bad take. And I’m someone who does a good bit of people reading in my career as well. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I just don't believe anything written in the media, there is always an agenda for them.... What is even the purpose of this article? To get a man fired? 

Well McD admitted to the worst part of the article which was like 4 years old. So it is true, but it seems someone has an axe to grind with the HC and went and spilled the beans to the writer. Oh and his purpose is to get clicks and generate revenue from said clicks. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No we won't.  The Bills will be out there trying to win.  Now if they go down 20 and turtle, that's another story.😜🤣

Did you post this so you can come back Monday and say "I told you so" 

Da fuq? 

Yeah, that’s what I did.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Well McD admitted to the worst part of the article which was like 4 years old. So it is true, but it seems someone has an axe to grind with the HC and went and spilled the beans to the writer. Oh and his purpose is to get clicks and generate revenue from said clicks. 

The last sentence is silly. Everyone’s purpose is to make money from their jobs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

The last sentence is silly. Everyone’s purpose is to make money from their jobs. 

A journalist's purpose should be to report things fairly & accurately.

This is a one-sided story.  The writer started w/  conclusion, and cherrypicked what he needed to in order to support that conclusion.

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, perhaps not directly, but he's the only offensive player that openly went on record, indirectly then.  

Way too much of this 9/11 thing is being made in this.  Sure, it was a glaring lack of judgement and gauche to be sure, but that's just a small fraction of far more relevant content in that series by Dunne.  

Agree with you however! 

Scroll up and read my prior post that pulled ALL the quotes from the article. He wasnt the only offensive player quoted. Torrence and Murray are in there too.

They all confirm there was another meeting to address the comments, but not a single comment about backing McD.

Just weird that not a single player outside of Hyde has anything positive or supportive to say. Even in the least bit.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree but winning 2 of those 3 games against Pats/Jets and Broncos and they are lined up to win the division in a season where there is no Joe Burrow or any dominant team.  We could easily see the Jags or Dolphins in the Super Bowl this year. 

While we all think easily should have been 2-3 minimum, I'm just going with 12 men and the Bills would be 7-5 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

A journalist's purpose should be to report things fairly & accurately.

This is a one-sided story.  The writer started w/  conclusion, and cherrypicked what he needed to in order to support that conclusion.

Nothing here invalidates what I wrote. People make money at their jobs. Trying to repackage that basic fact into an epithet is disingenuous. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just weird that not a single player outside of Hyde has anything positive or supportive to say. Even in the least bit.

And that's a good part on what Dunne's piece was about.  

... as you know.    

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

maybe…. The players don’t give a s*** about something that was said 4 years ago and think it is stupid they are being asked about it and just say no comment.   

but sure keep reaching

Not sure I agree with that.  If I loved my boss and I was the face of the company... I'd be giving my support in this situation.  My guess is that Josh will speak on it after the pr team tells him what to say.  Maybe I am wrong but I dunno, I just feel like thats what I would do.  I would never let anyone slander someone I care about and not say *****.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The title of that piece alone corroborates what's being said about him.  The content of it does nothing to alter it.  It's not a strong defense piece.  

Again, did you actually read the piece?  If not I'd encourage you to do so.  It will explain that piece to you.  McD coming out and saying that all the players have defended him [behind closed doors] is a whole helluva lot different than Allen, Diggs, and a bunch of offensive players independently making public statements.  

The reality is that that piece actually reinforces what's in Dunne's piece, in spades in fact.  

If you haven't read it, drop the $8 and read it, it will be worth the much time it takes to read it.  

For $8, I can buy 2- 8 oz cylinders for the butane stove I'm gifting my daughter for Christmas, pay sales tax, and have $1.60 left over for a stocking-stuffer candy.

In case that's insufficiently clear, I'll spell it out: I'm a Bills Fan.  I am NOT going to reward Ty Dunne with a subscription to his pay-for-content site, for dropping a controversial piece right before a pivotal game  in the Bills season.  Others upthread have carefully taken the time to dissect available excerpts into events that occured or words actually said, interpretation, and Dunne's opinion of same.  The latter two vastly outnumber the former, and are what qualify it as a "character smear piece" IMO. In the excerpts people have shared, Dunne recounts a weird pastiche of events (some bizarre, some less so), his slant or interpretation (which he presents as the only possible one), and the opinion/interpretations of the people he interviews.  On this last, John Wawrow has worked with many players and coaches for years at OBD and knows as much of the inner workings as anyone, summarizes it neatly:

then:

If the leaders on the team are dealing with things internally and spending their time watching film and talking through the game plan instead of making extra appearances beyond their media availability requirements, I think that's a Good Thing and not the damning reinforcement of Dunne you appear to believe it to be. 

Dunne has unnamed sources dishing and trashing McD; McD has unnamed supporters.  Looks about the same.

I don't think you are the impartial arbiter you wish to believe.  Some of the better, most rational posters on this site have repeatedly run into trouble trying to discuss with you.  There may be a reason for this.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

We will know how the players feel when we see who shows up this Sunday

I don't think their play will have anything to do with it.  These guys all want to win a championship.  It doesn't matter how they feel about this or how they feel about the coach.  They are going to play their asses off and try and win a football game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is spot on!

People will create whatever narrative best fits their perspective. It isn’t that one is necessarily right or wrong, it’s the hyperbole and extremes that people use to emphasize that point that are annoying. 

It’s a little like that with Josh on Twitter too. The difference is the people on the negative side don’t have much more than “he has a lot of turnovers.” There are so many counters based on TD: turnover. Anyone informed can pretty easily embarrass the “anti-Josh crowd.”

The McDermott one is much tougher. You can make a strong case on both sides. I fall to the “he was the right guy to build a program but the wrong guy to win a championship” side. That isn’t necessarily right or wrong. If you said “he is killing them,” you could make that argument easily. If you say, he’s the best coach since Marv, you could easily make that argument as well. You’re seeing it within this thread.

Everyone wants to compare McDermott to Marty Schottenheimer or Marvin Jones and I don’t think these are equitable.  

What I keep coming back to is Minnesota with Mike Zimmer.  Not exactly the same situation but similar.  

Minnesota replaced a relatively successful defensive-minded HC, with someone regarded as a younger, creative offensive mind.  

Sample size is small but the results (so far) have been relatively good.  

In 2021, the defense did take a step back but the offense took a step forward and the resulting in their most wins (thanks to several flukes) since 2017.  Also his offense got much out of Kirk Cousins.  

Then this season, Cousins was off to a great start and despite a season long injury, they are in the mix for a playoff spot - largely because of the offense.  

So I keep thinking back to O’Connell who isn’t a thought of to be a top 5 HC, maybe not even a better HC than Zimmer.  But he’s getting better results based on his background.

You can almost argue the inverse with Zimmer and McDermott (this season at least)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I just don't believe anything written in the media, there is always an agenda for them.... What is even the purpose of this article? To get a man fired? 

Having an agenda is not wrong. Everyone has an agenda. An agenda is what drives a person to say what they want to say. You can't deny information if it is legitimate and true. You can say you don't like the spin, but you can't deny the information. 

From the business aspect of journalism, it's all about timing. It's less about an agenda and more about how much support the article would get in the current climate.

No matter what an article is about, part of their goal is to make sure it gets read and discussed by the most people possible. In this case, it's gonna get read and discussed by a lot more people when the Bills are down than when they are up.

So, journalists are often sitting on a story they would love to release right away, but they (or their bosses tell them to) sit on it until the time is right.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed. A large dose of truth, otherwise the story would have died )quietly in interweb). Bill Belacheat has complaints, he just shrugs them off: “tough, that’s me”. Boy, would great to hear a drunk Daboll. 

McD simply isn’t comfortable in his own skin or with his own decisions :13, :20, 12 men

Edited by Since1981

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For $8, I can buy 2- 8 oz cylinders for the butane stove I'm gifting my daughter for Christmas, pay sales tax, and have $1.60 left over for a stocking-stuffer candy.

In case that's insufficiently clear, I'll spell it out: I'm a Bills Fan.  I am NOT going to reward Ty Dunne with a subscription to his pay-for-content site, for dropping a controversial piece right before a pivotal game  in the Bills season.  Others upthread have carefully taken the time to dissect available excerpts into events that occured or words actually said, interpretation, and Dunne's opinion of same.  The latter two vastly outnumber the former, and are what qualify it as a "character smear piece" IMO. In the excerpts people have shared, Dunne recounts a weird pastiche of events (some bizarre, some less so), his slant or interpretation (which he presents as the only possible one), and the opinion/interpretations of the people he interviews.  On this last, John Wawrow has worked with many players and coaches for years at OBD and knows as much of the inner workings as anyone, summarizes it neatly:

then:

If the leaders on the team are dealing with things internally and spending their time watching film and talking through the game plan instead of making extra appearances beyond their media availability requirements, I think that's a Good Thing and not the damning reinforcement of Dunne you appear to believe it to be. 

Dunne has unnamed sources dishing and trashing McD; McD has unnamed supporters.  Looks about the same.

I don't think you are the impartial arbiter you wish to believe.  Some of the better, most rational posters on this site have repeatedly run into trouble trying to discuss with you.  There may be a reason for this.

That’s why I think it’s funny when people who defend are like “read the article.”  🤣

24 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

That actually wasn't the worst part of the article.  It's just what people focused on.  Mostly probably because it was part of the free read.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Da fuq? 

Yeah, that’s what I did.

If you think they are trying to win for McD and because all this came out, you're wrong.  They just want to win was all I was saying.

You don't think Diggs wants 150 yards receiving, Allen 350 yards passing and that the D doesn't want 2 ints and 5 sacks?

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Having an agenda is not wrong. Everyone has an agenda. An agenda is what drives a person to say what they want to say. You can't deny information if it is legitimate and true. You can say you don't like the spin, but you can't deny the information. 

From the business aspect of journalism, it's all about timing. It's less about an agenda and more about how much support the article would get in the current climate.

No matter what an article is about, part of their goal is to make sure it gets read and discussed by the most people possible. In this case, it's gonna get read and discussed by a lot more people when the Bills are down than when they are up.

So, journalists are often sitting on a story they would love to release right away, but they (or their bosses tell them to) sit on it until the time is right.

Exactly.  It's the timing that bothers me the most.  Content/messaging about MCD, some ppl read into it as a personal attack while others may not.  I think it is, but having that "agenda" is part of being a journalist/writing an opinion.

Timing is everything. Just like the "supposed" Brittany feud with Josh, night before Bengals playoff game.  True or not, just making mention that the timing influences and impacts alot.  Why did Dunne publish now?  It would seem tat he wants it to derail McD/team, otherwise wait until after season

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Scroll up and read my prior post that pulled ALL the quotes from the article. He wasnt the only offensive player quoted. Torrence and Murray are in there too.

They all confirm there was another meeting to address the comments, but not a single comment about backing McD.

I wouldn't even characterize Hyde as especially enthusiastic in support 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not sure I agree with that.  If I loved my boss and I was the face of the company... I'd be giving my support in this situation.  My guess is that Josh will speak on it after the pr team tells him what to say.  Maybe I am wrong but I dunno, I just feel like thats what I would do.  I would never let anyone slander someone I care about and not say *****.

"Slander" is a word with a specific legal meaning.  It means verbal communication of false statements that damage the reputation of another.

So here's the thing about slander.  (I suspect you may know this) If the statements or events recounted actually occurred, but the *interpretation* or *opinion* about what those statements or events mean is negative, it may not be slander.  If you actually said something like "I pay you to coach these guys, not be their friend", that's not slander; truth is a defense.  if I give my opinion that you said that because you're an insecure weasel who is psychologically, mentally, and physically incapable of forming friendships yourself, well, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it; how do you defend yourself against that?  I believe you would have to show it's actually malicious in intent, and actually caused damage to your reputation.

It's a morass.

It's a helluva distraction, and the more time you give it, the more distracting it is.

In terms of winning Buffalo Bills football games, the best thing is to try to let the guys focus on football as much as possible and ask them to do that.  In my opinion, of course.

I've been looking for public statements from Josh Allen or Stephon Diggs in support of McDermott. 

So far, nothing from any offensive team veterans or leaders that I can find. If anyone else sees any, please share.

It could be that the team is focused on KC and that's totally fair and understandable as this is a must-win game and distractions are not good.

However, after the KC game I would expect team leaders, besides Micah Hyde, and especially on offense, to unequivocally make a public statement in support of their head coach — if that's how they feel.

I think what the team leaders, especially Josh and Steph, say or don't say about McDermott should reveal the true sentiment of those players. Do they get emotional and with great vigor shut them down and call them BS or nonsense? Do they issue a boilerplate "we stand behind our coach 100%" statement and deliver it with no emotion that would cause such a statement to be interpreted multiple ways? Or do they remain silent?

Monday should, to me at least, be very telling. 

Edited by Nephilim17

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Exactly.  It's the timing that bothers me the most.  Content/messaging about MCD, some ppl read into it as a personal attack while others may not.  I think it is, but having that "agenda" is part of being a journalist/writing an opinion.

Timing is everything. Just like the "supposed" Brittany feud with Josh, night before Bengals playoff game.  True or not, just making mention that the timing influences and impacts alot.  Why did Dunne publish now?  It would seem tat he wants it to derail McD/team, otherwise wait until after season

They published it now because the current climate will foster the most reads and discussion. It's a "kick them while they're down" mentality or maybe more appropriately a "pour gasoline on the fire" mentality, but it's not about derailing the team. It's about getting the most business.

You wait until the team is already derailing/losing and the media market is in a frenzy, and then you release the article. Not the other way around. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That’s why I think it’s funny when people who defend are like “read the article.”  🤣

The snippets that have been posted in this thread are not even 1 page worth of a 3 page article.  People may be dissecting and ripping apart Dunne's injected opinion, which is fine but no one has ripped apart the truthiness of things that actually happened that he gave his opinion on.  As I said earlier.... the truck incident happened and I think McD's reaction to that was horrible.  Regardless of Dunne's opinion on why McD reacted that way, the fact remains that McD still actually acted that way and it was a dog**** thing to do.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Also concur.

Wondering about the quotes on "supposed"?

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

then:

OK

Follow-up question then in that case, does your not reading all but a snippet of the article qualify you (and others that haven't read it) to intelligently and accurately comment on it given the extreme amounts of disinformation being put out against Dunne in the same manner that those complaining about it being put out against McD are complaining about?  

I do think that you will end up getting much more clarity on the situation than you're prepared to get by the end of the season or shortly thereafter.  We shall see.  

The human nature/behavior aspect of this entire thread is absolutely fascinating.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If that article is the best example of players supporting McD, then McD is sunk. And all this article talks about is McD again addressing his 9/11 speech with the team.

Ok, so Hyde, which we already knew. Let's see what the Offensive players have to say in pouring out support and love for their coach...

Nothing major from Sherfield there other than stating the obvious. We know McD doesnt support terrorism.

How about from the rook...

Hmm, how about from the vet Latavius Murray...

Ok, so a whole lot of talking about McD again addressing the speech from 2019. But not a single quote about how wrong the article is, and nothing about it misrepresenting McD or how the players feel.

Maybe they just weren't asked the right question. But I've had great bosses/leaders and if something like this came out about them, I would be front and center to whoever would listen railing against the BS.

Reid Ferguson had the most supportive quote

What are the players being asked?  

I think this is player support.  They all specifically say "I know who Sean is"/what kind of coach he is.

That's obviously support, outside of Torrence- both Murray and Sherfield "chose" to play here for this team and coach.  They are reaffirming they know who Sean is, which reaffirms their decision to play here.

They could have easily just said Sean spoke to us, leave it at that.  Too many ppl reading into this

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

"Slander" is a word with a specific legal meaning.  It means verbal communication of false statements that damage the reputation of another.

So here's the thing about slander.  (I suspect you may know this) If the statements or events recounted actually occurred, but the *interpretation* or *opinion* about what those statements or events mean is negative, it may not be slander.  If you actually said something like "I pay you to coach these guys, not be their friend", that's not slander; truth is a defense.  if I give my opinion that you said that because you're an insecure weasel who is psychologically, mentally, and physically incapable of forming friendships yourself, well, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it; how do you defend yourself against that?  I believe you would have to show it's actually malicious in intent, and actually caused damage to your reputation.

It's a morass.

It's a helluva distraction, and the more time you give it, the more distracting it is.

In terms of winning Buffalo Bills football games, the best thing is to try to let the guys focus on football as much as possible and ask them to do that.  In my opinion, of course.

Ok man I may have chosen the wrong word to use there but I think everyone, including you knows what I meant by it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.