Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

34 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Oh stop with this Dalton ended our streak nonsense.  That's loser mentality, same as the diaper wearers who always say we "didn't deserve to win" our close games.  Similar to when all someone sees is the 1 turnover in a 4 TD game.

The rest of the game matters.  The rest of the season matters.  Dalton was a great story, but NO MORE RELEVANT to our season or success than any other play or game through our or anyone else in the AFC's season.  We won as many games as we needed to win.  Anything else is irrelevant because Dalton doesn't even get mentioned if we had a different result in ANY of our games.  One additional win or loss and what someone else did for another team isn't even a blip on our radar.

Softest schedule in the league and a negative point differential that year.

but please, carry on how bozo the clown McClap “changed” this culture.

spare me

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What people who worked closely with McDermott think of his coaching and leadership qualities is absolutely news. If you don't think so then don't read it.

"Attacking his character". Cry me a river. You could claim any criticism of your job performance as having your character attacked if you really wanted to.

Part of being a coach is being a leader. If you're not allowed to describe the stupid things McDermott has done to make people question his leadership abilities because it might *gasp* "attack his character" then how do you suggest people evaluate his leadership skills?

Coach McDermott in film session with DBs:

McD: "Now, Siran, you began to turn your hips here and man, did you really whiff on the tackle because of that."

Siran: "YOU'RE ATTACKING MY CHARACTER AND MY FAMILY!"

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, boater said:

The McDermott 9/11 speech was four years ago.

How many of you here can be found not saying something stupid the past four years?

I wish I had used a 9/11 analogy instead of telling my wife she picked up a few pounds. 

• Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

Dunne didn't call him that. An interview subject did. Is every comment fair? Probably not. But let's look at the entire body of the work rather than latching onto the dumb 9/11 comment and one person going over the edge and playing armchair psychiatrist. It's a pretty damning work that reflects commentary from 25 football professionals. It's not a hit piece or an attack on McD's character. That is whiny nonsense from McD...again.

All of it is rolled up together, why in the world would McDermott look at it as not coming from the same overall thing.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:24 AM, Roundybout said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Do with this what you will. 

I'm honestly amazed YOU of all people were the one to start this thread.

On the topic of McDermott addressing this article publicly and saying it's an "attack on his character" ...

I have a different take.

The Bills have their backs against the wall. They already have an "us vs the world" mentality.

What if their coach is trying to lean into this and get even more juice out of the "us vs the world" narrative?

It would make sense, tactically.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, eme123 said:

At the end of the day 25 former players, coaches, and staff decided to give their two cents on what an aweful person mcdermott is. What is really amazing is not one of these 25 people was willing to offer their name with their thoughts. 

Well you obviously didn't read it either.  Some of them did allow their names to be published and some of them had good things to say about McD.  Really people, if you have not read the full article, do not spout stuff about what you don't know.  Thats how fake facts come into existence. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

This is a fuc$ing hit piece because Dunne didn't get press access to the Bills for his new website/podcast/etc. I hope the team rallies around McD!

Citing anonymous disgruntled prior coaches and players who didn't say anything when they could have had have their names attached to it. And something that happened four years ago that was twisted to make it seem worse then it was. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

I'm sure McD is loving trying to prepare and plan for a game having to deal with all this media crap and Monday morning quarterbacking.  

Cutting nose of to spite face this fan base is doing.   Sad to sit back and watch it.

I think if Bass misses another FG, we burn McD at the stake outside of Jims Steakout.

Good to see some of you are preparing to blame Sunday's loss on Dunne and the fanbase.

McDermott would be proud.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, boater said:

The McDermott 9/11 speech was four years ago.

How many of you here can be found not saying something stupid the past four years?

I don’t particularly think what he said was so unforgivable, everyone has said things in the past they wish they hadn’t.

It’s the fact he didn’t have enough awareness and common sense to realize it was likely to offend someone when speaking in a room of 60+ people.

It’s the stupidity of not knowing better that has me wondering if he’s smart enough to lead.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's great to see the outpouring of guys coming out to defend McDermott and say what a difference he made in their lives and how these stories are straight up unfair and BS. 

You can tell the players are pissed that Dunne decided to hatchet job their beloved and respected HC. 

Are you being sarcastic or is there actual things being put out that you for some reason haven't linked or posted here?

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Well you obviously didn't read it either.  Some of them did allow their names to be published and some of them had good things to say about McD.  Really people, if you have not read the full article, do not spout stuff about what you don't know.  Thats how fake facts come into existence. 

I’m not paying $8 to read anonymous quotes from kooks like Quinton Spain, Cole Beasley and Jon Feliciano.  Clearly you subscribe and pay money to read this guy’s stuff.  Somebody who read the full article states the only 2 guys to put their names to what they said were Lee Smith and Dimarco who both had positive comments.  How do we know the other 23 wasn’t mostly positive comments mixed in with the kooks above and 1 or 2 disgruntled firmer assistants?  

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, julian said:

I don’t particularly think what he said was so unforgivable, everyone has said things in the past they wish they hadn’t.

It’s the fact he didn’t have enough awareness and common sense to realize it was likely to offend someone when speaking in a room of 60+ people.

It’s the stupidity of not knowing better that has me wondering if he’s smart enough to lead.

And even if it's not offensive, is what they accomplished so great or impressive? Especially given how lax security was back then?

It's like his other example of teamwork. He seems to not think these things through to a logical, motivating conclusion.

"Take the “Niagara Falls” speech. In December 2021, locals will recall the news of a woman deliberately driving into the waterway that spills into the falls. She drifted down the Niagara River before her vehicle was lodged against a rock about 50 yards from the brink. McDermott studied up and pieced together a speech. The coach explained how members from the Coast Guard did everything they could to save the woman. He built up the drama. Players held on tight for an inspiring apex, and… nothing. He said the woman died. End of story. The complete absence of a point had some players biting their tongues, trying their hardest not to laugh."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Good to see some of you are preparing to blame Sunday's loss on Dunne and the fanbase.

McDermott would be proud.

No one's blaming crap.

The dude is under way too much unwarranted bs right now, let alone try to coach the team.

Not everyone thinks hes this HORRIBLE coach.  Some actually understand hindsight and monday morning quarterbacking.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m not paying $8 to read anonymous quotes from kooks like Quinton Spain, Cole Beasley and Jon Feliciano.  Clearly you subscribe and pay money to read this guy’s stuff.  Somebody who read the full article states the only 2 guys to put their names to what they said were Lee Smith and Dimarco who both had positive comments.  How do we know the other 23 wasn’t mostly positive comments mixed in with the kooks above and 1 or 2 disgruntled firmer assistants?  

I don't care if you read the article or not.  What I care about is people posting false information.  You cannot speak on an article that you didn't read and spout stuff out there that is factually incorrect.  There were more than just 2 people and it doesn't matter that some remain anonymous.  They remain anonymous because if could affect their jobs.  People have a right to do so.  Its very common in the media.

and yes, there were a bunch of positive comments.  Thats kinda the point.  People think its entirely one sided when it isn't.  Not everything said was bad.  You want to make up ***** about his article that you didn't even read and believe what you want to believe just because you are a McD homer.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm re-linking all 3 articles since it's becoming clear more folks are commenting than bothering to read even the free parts.

Part 1: Blame Game

Part 2: Lost in Translation

Part 3: Let Josh be Josh

His intent — players repeat — is pure.

The coach who ended the Bills’ 17-year playoff drought realizes how badly locals are dying for their first Super Bowl. The quest consumes him.

“He never, ever, ever does a damn thing with any other intention than to empower and grow the Buffalo Bills franchise,” this ex-Bill said. “That’s a fact. Now, whether or not the *****’s going to work or whether or not the players are going to receive it well? That’s a different conversation. But it doesn’t come from an evil ‘Sean McDermott wants all the praise and all the credit.’ He genuinely wants every person in that organization to thrive and win a lot of games to the point of exhaustion.

“All he wants to do is help that team win. Now, that’s the truth.”

Oh no - what an ATTACK on McDermott's CHARACTER! It's a SMEAR CAMPAIGN! You guys I'm throwing up I'm so appalled.

5 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

No one's blaming crap.

The dude is under way too much unwarranted bs right now, let alone try to coach the team.

Not everyone thinks hes this HORRIBLE coach.  Some actually understand hindsight and monday morning quarterbacking.

Why does he have to pay attention to it? Acknowledge it publicly at all?

I don't think anyone thinks he's a HORRIBLE coach. Just not good enough to win the Lombardi which is all that matters.

You should be happy and celebrating this article. As long as McDermott is as good as you think he is then the entire team is going to unite behind him and beat the Chiefs by 50 points on their way to running the table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

It's funny when stuff happens people always wish they were a fly on the wall so they can hear about stuff that happens behind the scenes.  Someone makes an article with factual information from behind the scenes and people want to rip it to shreds and discredit ***** they didn't even read.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And even if it's not offensive, is what they accomplished so great or impressive? Especially given how lax security was back then?

It's like his other example of teamwork. He seems to not think these things through to a logical, motivating conclusion.

"Take the “Niagara Falls” speech. In December 2021, locals will recall the news of a woman deliberately driving into the waterway that spills into the falls. She drifted down the Niagara River before her vehicle was lodged against a rock about 50 yards from the brink. McDermott studied up and pieced together a speech. The coach explained how members from the Coast Guard did everything they could to save the woman. He built up the drama. Players held on tight for an inspiring apex, and… nothing. He said the woman died. End of story. The complete absence of a point had some players biting their tongues, trying their hardest not to laugh."

lol yeah, that’s crazy and maybe he’s really not that intelligent and certainly not great at coming up with inspirational stories for a group of men.

32 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Damn, sorry about your loss Boyst, beautiful white cattle! They ever get those B word?

not yet. the deputy is still working on it. i am also going door to door when i can on the weekends

the breed is called charolais

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, julian said:

lol yeah, that’s crazy and maybe he’s really not that intelligent and certainly not great at coming up with inspirational stories for a group of men.

Sums up why we always come up just short in the end. All of his speeches end with the hero dying and the team work failing. What a twist!

Who knew the M in M. Night Syamalan stood for McDermott!

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't care if you read the article or not.  What I care about is people posting false information.  You cannot speak on an article that you didn't read and spout stuff out there that is factually incorrect.  There were more than just 2 people and it doesn't matter that some remain anonymous.  They remain anonymous because if could affect their jobs.  People have a right to do so.  Its very common in the media.

and yes, there were a bunch of positive comments.  Thats kinda the point.  People think its entirely one sided when it isn't.  Not everything said was bad.  You want to make up ***** about his article that you didn't even read and believe what you want to believe just because you are a McD homer.

I posted nothing false.  I’m trying to get to the facts.  25 sources… 2 were guys who put their names to what they said and admired mcdermott.  There were other positive comments.  ‘Former player’, ‘ex assistant’, ‘friend’… this type of reporting means the same 3-4 people could be the source for all the negative comments.  So they want to remain anonymous to protect their jobs but have no problem hiding behind anonymity to potentially harm mcdermott’s job.  Sorry, they are cowards.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In part 3 confirms exactly what many of us think McD has done with Josh Allen.  He's made him a shell of himself and made him second-guess everything and frankly has no idea who he has.

Yep complementary football at it's finest.

Funny some of us have been saying this for a long time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Dunne included it in the article with context and exact words.

Why is your problem with Dunne and not the 20 reporters paraphrasing his reporting incorrectly? 

Nope he did not. Here's the citation. Definitely paraphrases most of the substance . He used some exact quotes that I highly doubt are exact quotes. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/during-2021-team-meeting-sean-mcdermott-cited-9-11-attacks-as-example-of-teamwork

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well then the Bills legacy will be watching McB continue to emphasize Defense while ignoring additional help for Josh.  Expect more years of excruciating close loses.

He should only be extended if he's winning which is what any competent coach with a franchise QB would do

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I posted nothing false.  I’m trying to get to the facts.  25 sources… 2 were guys who put their names to what they said and admired mcdermott.  There were other positive comments.  ‘Former player’, ‘ex assistant’, ‘friend’… this type of reporting means the same 3-4 people could be the source for all the negative comments.  So they want to remain anonymous to protect their jobs but have no problem hiding behind anonymity to potentially harm mcdermott’s job.  Sorry, they are cowards.  

Yes you have.  You are posting misinformation even in this very post.  You are running around trying to discredit an article that you haven't even read.  "trying to get to the facts"... you can't get to facts nor are you trying to get to facts if you can't read the article lol.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Citing anonymous disgruntled prior coaches and players who didn't say anything when they could have had have their names attached to it. And something that happened four years ago that was twisted to make it seem worse then it was. 

There were a number of complimentary comments from former players. I'm sure you didn't read the whole thing.

It's objectively good journalism. It's thorough, it reflects the thinking of a wide swath (25) of people with firsthand testimony to offer about McD. Yeah, people comment off the record because it would hurt them to say these things on the record. If McD didn't say or do any of these things, there would be nothing to dig up.

Let's stop harping on McD's dumb comment about 9/11, which was not twisted in its reporting. There were many indictments on what he can't close games and why people aren't performing up to their potential in this organization and it all leads back to McD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Nope he did not. Here's the citation. Definitely paraphrases most of the substance . He used some exact quotes that I highly doubt are exact quotes. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/during-2021-team-meeting-sean-mcdermott-cited-9-11-attacks-as-example-of-teamwork

That citation is missing additional paragraphs from Dunne’s article on the topic.

If this from Part 3 doesn't piss you off about McD.....  Then I guess nothing will.....

There are two distinct versions of Josh Allen this 2023 season. One is fun. One takes off on the run — “The crowd loves it!” Al Michaels professes — and holds the football over the goal line while staring down a Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback. All at full speed.

This version gets a Cincinnati Bengals safety to leave his feet with a pump fake, points, laughs and runs in for a TD. Flag ‘n fine, be damned. Meanwhile, Sean McDermott, spits on the turf and purses his lips. Fifteen yards lost on a kickoff likely means more to the Buffalo Bills head coach than any momentum gained by his backyard quarterback rediscovering himself.

This version, at rain-slopped Philadelphia, rams through Reed Blankenship at the goal line, chucks the ball against the backstop and — flanked by teammates — swaggers right into the teeth of those trash-talking Eagles fans as if welcoming a dark-alley fight. The TD launched a tour de force for the quarterback: 420 total yards, four touchdowns. 

“No. 17 is just a different bird,” said one friend and former pro teammate. “He’s wired different. He’s not like most of these quarterbacks. He wants to make dick jokes and run into people.”

If Buffalonians could create the quarterback they’ve always desired in a lab, it’s exactly this.

But then, there’s the other Allen. The pale, stupefied, knockoff version who trudges to the sideline after an interception vs. Denver with McDermott screaming in his ear.

Unlike his boss, Allen does not come remotely close to assigning blame. Doesn’t embarrass receivers on national TV. Doesn’t snipe into earholes on the sidelines. Doesn’t kindly remind the public what McDermott said back in March when, in truth, it’s fully within his rights to alert your attention to these trainwreck comments. When, in reality, this is everything a former Bills assistant coach meant when he said this team is forced to “overcome the head coach.” Everything a former teammate meant by McDermott serving as a drop of “poison.”

A smart coach does everything in his power to accentuate the first version of Allen.

Realize you’ve been gifted a Marvel character at the most important position in sports and let him fly.

Then, there’s McDermott sitting down with NFL Network last March. He made it abundantly clear that Allen needed to siphon these sorts of plays out of his game. 

“I don’t think that that’s a healthy way to play quarterback in this league,” said McDermott, in a video posted by the team. “It’s really undefeated that things are going to happen when you play that style, that brand of football. So, we’ve got to get that adjusted. It’s never going to go completely away but it has to get to where it’s workable. I don’t want to take his personality away from him as far as that goes. His signature. But there needs to be an adjustment in that style of play.”

Manually warping the “style” of your most valuable commodity should’ve slotted in as the 2,789th item on the Bills’ offseason agenda. But this was no surprise.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Have you ever been quoted in the media? Ever been mis-quoted? Do you write for publication? Oh, no? OK, you seem like a really credible person to comment on how people in the public eye interact with the media. There is nothing inherently wrong with quoting anonymous sources and you ascribe without any basis malintent / ethical dereliction on the part of Dunne.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, Arkady Renko said:

We say that but he brings up Brady and lets Brady have Allen run more. 

You're assuming McDermott was of the same mind in both instances of hiring an OC. Not so. He was arrogant when hiring Dorsey. He was desperate when hiring Brady. 

• Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You are 100% correct in that i did not read the article. Thank you for paying some blowhard $8 to enlighten me. Regardless it sounds like 20 some odd anonymous sources?

The fact that a source is anonymous DOES matter!! The thoughts of someone we cant even confirm exsists is hearsay and conjecture at best. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What people who worked closely with McDermott think of his coaching and leadership qualities is absolutely news. If you don't think so then don't read it.

"Attacking his character". Cry me a river. You could claim any criticism of your job performance as having your character attacked if you really wanted to.

Part of being a coach is being a leader. If you're not allowed to describe the stupid things McDermott has done to make people question his leadership abilities because it might *gasp* "attack his character" then how do you suggest people evaluate his leadership skills?

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

I don't get all these questions of "who is Tyler Dunne?"

McD already admitted to the 9/11 speech and thus far hasn't denied other allegations like his displeaure with the WRs buying Chad Hall a truck as a gift.

McD either did and said these things or he didn't. If that latter, he should get a good lawyer and litigate.

If he did do them, the messenger doesn't matter. 

So there's a difference between stating what happened, and criticizing decisions, and "attacking someone's character".  And Dunne's article, what has been shared or I can access, goes far beyond what McDermott said or did.

Let's look at the truck story that was just posted above:

"Chad Hall played wide receiver, was much closer in age and — clearly — has a gift for managing egos in his room. The Bills receivers loved Hall so much that they bought him a truck for Christmas in 2020. An objectively touching moment that Isaiah McKenzie shared via Instagram. In the dark, in the rain, you see Stefon Diggs and Andre Roberts lead Hall out to the driveway with a beanie over the coach’s eyes. On the audio, Cole Beasley says that this was originally Gabe Davis’ idea and that they all chipped in. It's impossible for any sane person to watch this heartwarming video and not feel happy for Hall."

OK, stop right here.  When I watched that video, not long after the Titans debacle where they got together outside the facility to practice and Denver being forced to play without a QB - my primary emotion was TERROR.  I thought the league would see that video and come down on the Bills like a load of bricks.  Then I switched to hoping it would be too bad PR for the league to object to a feel-good moment.  Question my sanity if you will. ( Pretty sure I got receipts of this too)

"Obviously, this coach had made a profound impact on those receivers’ lives — why anyone gets into coaching in the first place.

But Sean McDermott? Oh boy. Sean McDermott was not pleased. One source described this as “a dark day at One Bills Drive.” Not only was the head coach pissed that players were gathering as a group during Covid, McDermott told his staff he pays them to be a coach. Not a friend. Other coaches could not believe his cold response. They had never seen anything like this in their careers."

So far we're pretty much at stating what happened and criticizing decisions.  The receivers bought Hall a truck, and McDermott was critical because 1) the players were gathering as a group at Hall's house, during Covid - contrary to league rules that other teams had been penalized for 2) he stated that he pays his staff to be a coach, not a friend (and by inference, felt that inspiring the receivers to purchase a truck for him indicated Hall was too much of a friend to the WR group)

But  here: "He’s insecure. He wants the relationship that he can’t have with the players. Because he’s not physically, mentally, or socially able to.”

Can we agree that's going beyond "what happened" or even criticizing McDermott's response as insensitive to Hall and to his assistants, into  an attack on his personality and character - "he's physically, mentally, or socially" unable to have a relationship with the players?

Again, the fact is that it's a fine line, when you're supervising someone - you want to be friendly and show that you care about them as people, but at the same time, if you get too far into being friends, you make it difficult to get on their case if you need to.  How can you bust the chops of a WR for making sloppy cuts, not playing physical against press man, or not using proper hands technique when catching, when he bought you a ***** TRUCK for Christmas?  In theory you can, but in practice, will you?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.