Would McDermott Ever Hire a Defensive Coordinator?

BuffaloBaumer

Just now, Mango said:

I mean he had a DC for 6 of 7 years. 

But if you ignore that, sure, maybe McD is totally opposed to the idea.

I realize that but now that he has control again, I am worried he will never give it up. He is failing miserably on that side of the ball. Hiring someone could take the heat off him for 1 more year because I don't see any chance Pegula lets him go. It's a win win for Pegula and McDermott, possibly an ultimatum. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I highly doubt that he is getting fired so the next best thing would be to hire an aggressive D Coordinator. Has any press member ever asked this question?

I'm sure he wants to so he can scapegoat someone else when the defense gives it up when it matters most. He got away with it for years when people would just go off on Frazier and gave McD absolutely no accountability for it. He probably misses it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I realize that but now that he has control again, I am worried he will never give it up. He is failing miserably on that side of the ball. Hiring someone could take the heat off him for 1 more year because I don't see any chance Pegula lets him go. It's a win win for Pegula and McDermott, possibly an ultimatum. 

I don’t think he’s failing miserably as a DC.  The defense has played well with a bit of a skeleton crew in the back 7. He has certainly sucked with his 4th quarter and late game calls. The 5-6 man rushes and off coverage is killing us.

I would think given how disjointed this season has been, that going back to being CEO rather than “Director of (insert business unit) is low hanging fruit for any leader of an org whose paying attention to its performance.

I am not advocating for or against firing McD with the above. You asked a pointed question “would he hire a DC” and the answer is a resounding “of course he would”

• Agree 4

My best guess is that Eric Washington takes over. He's seemed to be being groomed for the position, he even takes the spot of the DC on the media availability schedule being an Assistant Head Coach in addition to his position duties. If not him, I'd say Babich or Holcomb get a shot to interview as well...but I'm about 95% sure it will be an internal hire.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I highly doubt that he is getting fired so the next best thing would be to hire an aggressive D Coordinator. Has any press member ever asked this question?

Not one that he won’t override in critical situations so it really doesn’t matter. 

Still think it was a joke that Frazier got so much blame. But don’t we still have a top 10 defense with a ton of injuries? 

the problem with this team is we have no consistency. When the offense plays well, the defense sucks and vice versa. But I’m sure SM will do whatever it takes to save his job even if it is a puppet DC.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

My worry with this, just like the offense... even if he does, his influence will be allllll over it. He just can't help his conservative nature. 

Winning the game? Run the clock out... 

Winning the game? soft cover 2

He doesn't coach to win... he coaches not to lose. He can bring in Rex Ryan and still find a way to make it a conservative defense up by 10 in the 4th. 

Just now, somnus00 said:

From the beginning, when he announced he would be taking over the DC role, my concern was that his game management would suffer. Given when has to work with, I don't think he's been bad at DC (apart from NE and the second half of the Eagles game).

It hasnt suffered... he's always been this bad. 

I expect some tough year end meetings at One Bills Drive to include the coaching staff.  I think Terry and Brendon will put him on notice that the defense must be fixed or McD days are number after next season.  A full time DC is needed so McD can focus on being a HC for a team that is good enough to make a SB run.     

I have a gut feeling that Washington is essentially our defensive coordinator.  McDermott is running cover while bringing the rookie coordinator up to speed. Could you imagine the discussions this week if he was our coordinator by name?

Yes, he will, almost assuredly hire one, as he looks stressed by the dual role he now plays and realizes it is untenable if he is to be a great head coach.

He will likely hire the same guy who coached the defense to be one of the best (#1?) in the NFL in points allowed under his tenure and molded one of the most consistently excellent defenses in the NFL, Frazier.  We need him back, a DC whose teams held onto leads, consistently.

Kind of a 'duh', I think.

I think the answer is in front of everyone's face but no one wants to believe it.  They all want to believe Frazier was fired.  I believe Frazier when he continues to say he felt the need to take a year off.  I think McD didn't hire anyone so that he could let Frazier come back.  You can't just hire a coach for one season.  I mean, you could but it would be a jerk move.  I don't expect people to agree with me, but this is what I believe.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

McD isn’t hiring a defensive coordinator, unless he gets a HC job else where. If he were fired today, the only teams that would consider him for their HC would be losers looking to mould their franchise in the form of the 2018-2022 Buffalo Bills, but unless they have a franchise QB he won’t have the same success as he had in Buffalo. 

McDermott is in his way out, not hiring more crap assistants. Pegula isn’t blind, he knows McD’s defense has blown game after game after JA17 gifts him lead after lead. 

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think the answer is in front of everyone's face but no one wants to believe it.  They all want to believe Frazier was fired.  I believe Frazier when he continues to say he felt the need to take a year off.  I think McD didn't hire anyone so that he could let Frazier come back.  You can't just hire a coach for one season.  I mean, you could but it would be a jerk move.  I don't expect people to agree with me, but this is what I believe.  

I’d like an “interesting” emoji for posts like this. I appreciate the speculation. It makes sense, and that worries me. A lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

Martindale is going to be out in NY…that’s the type of guy I’d love to see here. Then maybe he can create an alt look at defense and maybe combine thoughts with McDermott to create something interesting. There is pretty much no chance it happens but that might be the one way im good with keeping McDermott. If it’s a different defense 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.