What I do now If I am Pegula

Ray Stonada

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

They aren't a package deal. The Jets hired Adam Gase to be the HC (Gase LOL) who then recommended that JD be hired for the GM job. Same way McDermott and Beane got hired here. Gase got fired and JD is still the GM of the Jets. So just because one gets fired doesn't mean the other one will. It is Pegula's call, and he will do what he wants.

Addressing raging lunatic fans' call for the HC's head after every loss is the last thing Pegs is spending time on.   

I have to believe he is focussed on doing everything in his power to assist in his wife's recovery; he is letting Adams/Granato and Beane/McD run the teams for the foreseeable future.  

This crazy board is the same after every loss ; if this board was listened to, the team would have a new HC after every loss.  

4 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Addressing raging lunatic fans' call for the HC's head after every loss is the last thing Pegs is spending time on.   

I have to believe he is focussed on doing everything in his power to assist in his wife's recovery; he is letting Adams/Granato and Beane/McD run the teams for the foreseeable future.  

This crazy board is the same after every loss ; if this board was listened to, the team would have a new HC after every loss.  

In fairness to the fans McDermott has been here 7 years. This team has gotten worse since 13 seconds. The frustrating losses are becoming more frequent. At some point the Bills have to move from McDermott if he can't deliver. The Eagles eventually moved on from Reid. It feels like the time is coming for the Bills to do the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

What incentive would McD have to do this? If he's fired, they have to pay him the remainder of his current deal.

Nothing, which is why it's probably a long shot. But again we don't know the specifics of his contract and if there is any loopholes in the Pegula's favor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Pegula should wait until after the season to remove McD.  There is value in giving McD one last chance to save his job.  If McD can rally the team and lead them to the playoffs by winning 4 or 5 of the remaining games then it would be hard to fire him.   I don't think this has a snowballs chance in hell of happening but to prospective new coaches it will be a real selling point that Pegula treated McD as a professional and gave him a legit chance to keep his job.  Compared to the chaos of the Raiders or Panthers this would be a huge selling point for the Bills.

I think that this is the best we can reasonably hope for. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

There is 0.0% chance McDummy is fired in season, and less than 5% chance he is fired after the season.  I think Pegula views him as his version of Tomlin who provides leadership, stability, blah blah blah….

Agreed.  Add to that list John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll.  

A team is the sum of its parts and the Bills have too many holes other than coaching to be a championship level team at the moment.  

I am coming on board of McD taking a leave because the Bills are the most penalized team in the league- and they have been up there in previous years too.    

Pegula obviously lets the season play out. If McDermott rights the ship he stays. If he doesn't he goes.  Sean ought to look in the mirror and accept he's coaching for his job now. And if coaching his way is what got him in this mess, he should apply the George Costanza opposites approach. Whatever McDermott would do in certain game situations, do the opposite.

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

What would you do, if you were Terry or Kim Pegula, the Bills (for the Sabres, I have no clue)?

Curious to hear.

For me, number one, take advantage of the bye: this week, I call McDermott and Beane separately into my office. I have a consultant with me who is ready to present them with the numbers on the late-game and overtime collapses from the 2019 playoffs to now, and where this ranks among NFL teams (it may well be dead last over that time). The consultant will have also ran the numbers on other top coaches' records in similar situations (tied or within one-score in the fourth quarter). 

Say that our goal is to being a Super Bowl victory to Buffalo, and that their progress so far has peaked in 2020 with the AFC title game appearance, and gone in reverse each season since--with the exception of the 2021 playoffs where we looked unstoppable but for another defensive collapse against Kansas City. 

Ask each (again, separately) why they think these issues are happening. Is it that our players are at fault? Is it that the players are tired, that they're not prepared, or they are not executing the plan? Or is the plan itself not right? Is it end-game strategy, and game management?

Having heard their diagnosis, I ask what their plan to stop these collapses from happening is.

I ask each if the other is currently up to the task of fixing this.

If McDermott and Beane are on the same page, I ask the consultant to gather a group of advisors (drawn from high level NFL ex coaches, players, and GMs) to give us advice on their diagnosis and their plans to fix it. And we empower them to put that plan into place, NEXT WEEK. 

That's the best chance I can imagine giving them to stop this insanity.

If they can't, then we don't make the playoffs, and I am interviewing new head coaches in January, and getting rid of McDermott.

Beane gets to meet the new head coach and see if there is a fit between them. To my mind, Beane has done the job lately... From the 2023 draft, Kincaid and O'Torrence look good, Dorian Williams is promising. In 2022, Beane picked Cook, Terrell Bernard, Khalil Shakir, and Christian Benford. He finds good veterans, like Daquan Jones, Leonard Floyd, Rasul Douglas and Linval Joseph. Where he could improve is finding real STARS, not just good NFL starters. Whether Beane stays will depend on how he reacts to the new head coach.

Essentially, if I owned the team I would not be firing McDermott till the end of the year. But I would doing investigation of whether he is capable of fixing this. (I have my doubts.)

Pegula: “How best to stop the late defensive collapses?”

McDermott: “I would start by calling timeouts before huge defensive and special teams plays.”

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

What would you do, if you were Terry or Kim Pegula, the Bills (for the Sabres, I have no clue)?

I would see what cost to back out of contract for new stadium and look for fresh start elsewhere.

The Bills are cursed and it is not the graveyard or smoking man.

Despite Bills fans claiming to best fans in NFL they are deluded into thinking they know more than professionals and want to fire everyone, even the owner.

Who wants this kind of hassle?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

All I know is the Bills better be winning next season. Otherwise it will be a tough sell for tickets to the new stadium 

That thought process cracks me up.  Here is how that would go:

Bills Fans:  I'm not spending my hard earned money for a PSL and seasons tickets for a inferior product!

Bills: If we don't get enough sales we'll have to move the team.

Bills Fans: Oh ... OK then here ya go, I'll take 2 please.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JMM said:

What I wonder about is what happens with Beane if Pegs decides he wants Mcd fired. Remember this was a strange process,  he hired Mcd who then basically picked Beane for GM, the opposite of how it's supposed to work. They really have been a package from the start. So, will Beane stay, will he resign? Will he be asked to find the next HC if Mcd is fired? Anybody have any insight into how this might go? I'm finally done with Mcd, but Beane imo is one of the best GM in the game, and certainly our best since Polian.

It was not a strange process.  It is very common to hire the HC first. The Bills interviewed other candidates when they interviewed Beane although I think it was thought that Beane had an inside track because of his working relationship with McDermott.

I think the Bills were at a point after Rex/Whaley where the whole situation needed a complete overhaul.  That is not the case now IMO.  It would really depend on the HC that they were looking to hire as each candidate would have differing degrees of influence on what they would want done at the GM position.  I see no reason why the Bills would currently be in a situation where they'd be hiring a HC that would demand a completely new front office structure.  I doubt the Bills would be looking for someone completely overhaul the whole football department as they were when they hired McDermott.

Yes - alot of times NFL teams do a clean house situation of both the HC and the FO but I don't think the Bills are in that spot.

Plenty of successful examples of HCs with roster control power or perceived de facto football czar status being fired with the team retaining the GM/front office and hiring a new HC:

LA Rams - fired Jeff Fisher, kept Les Snead, hired McVay

Philly - fired Chip, kept/promoted Howie Roseman, hired Doug Pederson, fired Doug Pederson, hired Sirianni

• Like (+1) 1

Here's another thought and I apologize if already mentioned previously in one of the many anti-McDummy threads, but if your Terry Pegula.....whether you fire McD right after the season, in-season next year, etc you have to eat money regardless unless there is an out for both sides.

But if not he has to know there's no way he can keep him around for another 4 years or however long that extension was for.

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

It was not a strange process.  It is very common to hire the HC first. The Bills interviewed other candidates when they interviewed Beane although I think it was thought that Beane had an inside track because of his working relationship with McDermott.

I think the Bills were at a point after Rex/Whaley where the whole situation needed a complete overhaul.  That is not the case now IMO.  It would really depend on the HC that they were looking to hire as each candidate would have differing degrees of influence on what they would want done at the GM position.  I see no reason why the Bills would currently be in a situation where they'd be hiring a HC that would demand a completely new front office structure.  I doubt the Bills would be looking for someone completely overhaul the whole football department as they were when they hired McDermott.

Yes - alot of times NFL teams do a clean house situation of both the HC and the FO but I don't think the Bills are in that spot.

Plenty of successful examples of HCs with roster control power or perceived de facto football czar status being fired with the team retaining the GM/front office and hiring a new HC:

LA Rams - fired Jeff Fisher, kept Les Snead, hired McVay

Philly - fired Chip, kept/promoted Howie Roseman, hired Doug Pederson, fired Doug Pederson, hired Sirianni

Great examples, thanks.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

My only decision is whether I'd wait until the off-season to make a change at HC. I think today would be better as it would give the team a chance to win this season, but McDermott has gotten rid of every coordinator with the experience to become interim HC. If I thought that Joe Brady was up to it I'd pull the trigger now, but I doubt that is the case. So it is likely I'd have to wait until the offseason to find my new HC. I'd let him decide what to do at GM.

Didn't the rules change a couple years back that you can interview other teams coaches between week 17 and 18, the final week?  If so I'd consider making the change then to take advantage.  That's assuming we are out of the playoffs.  If that rule isn't true then I'd wait till the end of the season.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

My only decision is whether I'd wait until the off-season to make a change at HC. I think today would be better as it would give the team a chance to win this season, but McDermott has gotten rid of every coordinator with the experience to become interim HC. If I thought that Joe Brady was up to it I'd pull the trigger now, but I doubt that is the case. So it is likely I'd have to wait until the offseason to find my new HC. I'd let him decide what to do at GM.

Interesting options by the OP but I'm only bringing Beane into my office.  I've seen enough mistakes by McD to realize he's never changing or self correcting.  If we lose to KC next week, the season will be over. I immediately fire McD and put Brady as interim HC.  Babich as DC.  Then tell Beane to prepare me a list of the top 3 available offensive coaches. 

Ben Johnson, Slowick,  Brian Johnson or even Harbaugh.  Consider them all as best for Josh.  I'm no longer putting the defense first.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Interesting options by the OP but I'm only bringing Beane into my office.  I've seen enough mistakes by McD to realize he's never changing or self correcting.  If we lose to KC next week, the season will be over. I immediately fire McD and put Brady as interim HC.  Babich as DC.  Then tell Beane to prepare me a list of the top 3 available offensive coaches. 

Ben Johnson, Slowick,  Brian Johnson or even Harbaugh.  Consider them all as best for Josh.  I'm no longer putting the defense first.

This makes sense. And, if we lose to KC but then win out, we still have a roughly 50% chance of making the playoffs under Brady.

Also that gives you four games to see how Brady does bringing home close games. 

Kinda crazy to think McDermott might be done after our next game or two... I do think it is possible.

1 minute ago, Ray Stonada said:

This makes sense. And, if we lose to KC but then win out, we still have a roughly 50% chance of making the playoffs under Brady.

Also that gives you four games to see how Brady does bringing home close games. 

Kinda crazy to think McDermott might be done after our next game or two... I do think it is possible.

I would be shocked if that happened. I think he gets the entire season no matter what. If they were going to make the change in season, then right now is the time to do it with it being the bye week.

Just now, Gregg said:

I would be shocked if that happened. I think he gets the entire season no matter what. If they were going to make the change in season, then right now is the time to do it with it being the bye week.

But right now we still have a chance to right the ship, win out and make the dance.

If we lose the next one our chances are way down, and if we lose two we're out.

Anyway, I think it's possible but yes, agree there is a low chance of McD getting canned during the season. But it's not zero.

Have to admit, I just saw this post on @Italian Bills thread:

I'd like to know Andy Reid and Sean McVay's record in these.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

In fairness to the fans McDermott has been here 7 years. This team has gotten worse since 13 seconds. The frustrating losses are becoming more frequent. At some point the Bills have to move from McDermott if he can't deliver. The Eagles eventually moved on from Reid. It feels like the time is coming for the Bills to do the same.

can't deliver what?   the team has won 2+ out of every 3 games over six years, not sure what you want from the McBeanes.  SB is a crapshoot single elimination tournament geared for max media ad $$.   Not exactly a complete reflection of accomplishment, just ID's the best, healthiest and sometimes luckiest team left standing after a 4 month war of attrition. 

The Bills played a top 5 team in their house, in the worst possible fan / weather conditions and basically had them beat, save for a few plays that could have gone either way.  We crush them playing that way at the Ralph.   That performance is bc of McBeanes ability to consistently field a highly competitive roster and execute under extreme conditions.  good enough for me.  the wins will come if they keep doing what they did on Sunday

With Chargers/Phins on warm, fast tracks, Cowboys at home in the cold/snow , Pats in full retreat, and two weeks to prep/heal for KC,  decent chance they run the table from here on out , Then you'll all want him for coach of the year 6 -7weeks from now.   

Fans are subject to frequent bouts of insanity.   I guess that's why they are called "fanatics" .  And they all show up here.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

# 1 was pushing the Bills to trade down and give KC Mahomes so he can draft Trae White. LMAO

The injuries have derailed his career, but White has been a very good player for the Bills. I am not sure Mahomes does better with the Bills than Allen has. Mahomes has Andy Reid, Tyreek Hill (for a few years), Kelce and a much better OL than Josh has had here. Also, the Chiefs defense has managed to make stops in big moments when they had to. The Bills not so much. If they switched teams Allen has two rings and Mahomes has none.

27 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

can't deliver what?   the team has won 2+ out of every 3 games over six years, not sure what you want from the McBeanes.  SB is a crapshoot single elimination tournament geared for max media ad $$.   Not exactly a complete reflection of accomplishment, just ID's the best, healthiest and sometimes luckiest team left standing after a 4 month war of attrition. 

The Bills played a top 5 team in their house, in the worst possible fan / weather conditions and basically had them beat, save for a few plays that could have gone either way.  We crush them playing that way at the Ralph.   That performance is bc of McBeanes ability to consistently field a highly competitive roster and execute under extreme conditions.  good enough for me.  the wins will come if they keep doing what they did on Sunday

With Chargers/Phins on warm, fast tracks, Cowboys at home in the cold/snow , Pats in full retreat, and two weeks to prep/heal for KC,  decent chance they run the table from here on out , Then you'll all want him for coach of the year 6 -7weeks from now.   

Fans are subject to frequent bouts of insanity.   I guess that's why they are called "fanatics" .  And they all show up here.   

How did the Bills do at a Jets side led by Zach Wilson? The Pats with Mac Jones under centre? The Broncos at home? Or the Giants for that matter?

OK, so they played well against the Dolphins and the Eagles. But there has been far more bad and good this season - particularly when relying on the defense to hold on to a lead in the final two minutes.

13 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The injuries have derailed his career, but White has been a very good player for the Bills. I am not sure Mahomes does better with the Bills than Allen has. Mahomes has Andy Reid, Tyreek Hill (for a few years), Kelce and a much better OL than Josh has had here. Also, the Chiefs defense has managed to make stops in big moments when they had to. The Bills not so much. If they switched teams Allen has two rings and Mahomes has none.

I agree that Mahomes may have the same career in Buffalo if everything is changed, but still, trading the spot for a badly needed QB to then go select a very good (not great) CB is just not how teams win. It showed McDickhead’s misunderstanding of the current NFL from day one. No matter how great Tre White would’ve been (yep, using the past tense, dude’s career is over), he was never gonna truly move the needle. Did Darrell Revis with the NYJ? Did Stephon Gilmore (nope, not until paired with an elite QB on the other side of the ball)? At the least we could’ve looked for an offensive weapon, but nope. We ended up with Tre White, a man who hasn’t played meaningful football in TWO years! And yes I know the ghost of Tre played last year and he also had to played long enough this year to give up another highlight catch. Good job McCocksucker!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

What? That's kind of a lame analysis. Don't let the title of moderator go to your head.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.