Buffalo / Philly Postgame thread

Simon

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

The best front offices win super bowls and play in a lot of them.  

Howie roseman has made some excellent moves but I mean before he is declared the best shouldn't they win some championships?  You could make the case the Rams have been much better in the front office, GM and Head Coach than the eagles have been.

Roseman and crew just won a Super Bowl like 5 years ago, and then completely readjusted and rebuilt with a new HC and new QB and ended up back in the Super Bowl last year.

Rams sold their souls for that SB win ("F*CK THEM PICKS"), and I cant argue with the results, but they are a complete mess with a worse record than the Bills currently.

Eagles and Chiefs are best in the league. Bills are right up there in top 3-5 tho.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The best front offices win super bowls and play in a lot of them.  

Howie roseman has made some excellent moves but I mean before he is declared the best shouldn't they win some championships?  You could make the case the Rams have been much better in the front office, GM and Head Coach than the eagles have been.

I mean they upset the Pats in 2018 with a strong team that was QB'ed by Nick Foles of all people. That's one championship, and they made it back to compete for another with a whole new staff and QB just last year. 

Seems legit to me. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is a good point. With the bye week now, I could see the Bills bringing in a kicker if Bass isn't getting it done. He didn't yesterday.

I'm not sure I'm ready to bring a new kicker in this late in the season but next year it definitely needs to be evaluated. The issue is that he's the 5th highest paid kicker . I believe he has a $7MM dead money hit if we release him next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Once I saw the horse collar on Allen right in front of the "Umpire" official and we got hit with an intentional grounding I knew what the rest of the game was going to be like with that crew.

Oh well, is what it is and I was not too disappointed in our offense and that is one positive with Brady at the helm.

This defense cannot adjust and close out games. They go in with a good plan, but seem to quickly start bleeding scores in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Seen it enough that it is a trend. Some of that is just on the players not executing on 3rd downs. 

Saw Dodson setup to spy Hurts on a 3rd and long and instead of closing to make the play he was flat footed and locked into the turf while Hurrs took a good angle to get to the sticks.

Another 3rd and long the d-line does their job hemming Hurts in and he just lobs it up for grabs in the EZ and we have two defenders there that were in position to defend it, but had their backs to Hurts and allowed the receiver to get depth and highpoint the ball.

Not sure what to think, but there were times defenders were put in the right position to make plays and just didn't.

Like most things it is somewhere in the middle. Our defensive staff has to get better at counter punching, and the players have to be better or we just needed to have our healthy starters back in the lineup.

Not happening anytime soon so here we are with the record we have.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I mean they upset the Pats in 2018 with a strong team that was QB'ed by Nick Foles of all people. That's one championship, and they made it back to compete for another with a whole new staff and QB just last year. 

Seems legit to me. 🤷‍♂️

yea they have done a good job.  Yes they beat new england and change the staff.  

I am just saying if the eagles front office is going to be talked about being among the best shouldn't they have more than one championship?  Usually the best do it more than once to get that reputation.

and one more nitpicky thing here, the Eagles were given the gift of all gifts last year playing the giants at home in the divisional round and the 49ers with no qb for 3 quarters in the championship game.  Its not like they went on some NY giants 07 or 11 run and made this historic finish from the wild card to champions?  They got the ultimate break last year in that championship game  and then lost the next week.

I do not think they beat SF last year if purdy stays healthy and I do not believe they beat SF or Dallas this year if they play them in the playoffs.

so yea the eagles front office has made some excellent decisions and dumping wentz and putting in Hurts was the best one but I just think calling them the best is not fair, not when there are other front offices who have the same accomplishments.  

I mean if you go back over the last 10 years Seattle, KC, New England, Rams all have done the same or more.

Edited by MikePJ76

10 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Obv McDermott needs to go, cook needs to stop making costly mistakes,  and the defense collapsed yet again,  but lost in all of this is Tyler Bass and the poor season he is slowly putting together and our punter:

Bass is 28th/32 in FG %
And
Our punter is 31st/32 in punt avg. and net avg.

Is the special teams coordinator the next scapegoat ?

Well, special teams gave up the OT punt return in the first Jets game, 12 men on the field on the Denver FG miss, and our kickers are below the Mendoza line.  Food for thought.... 8-4 vs. 6-6 is a big difference

When asked about the horse collar Hochuli responded saying

""We felt that the force from the front of the collar and what pulled him down was not from the back," referee Shawn Hochuli told a pool reporter after the game. "So, that’s pretty much it. We felt he was pulled down from the front of the jersey and collar.""

That's pretty much it?  Not only does he refuse to take ownership of a mistake that the rest of the world saw, but he doubles down on it in one of the most arrogant d-bag ways possible.   I hope that he get fired or least suspended and fined.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember A great point was made by Michael Irvin...whom I hate, but respect his knowledge on playing WR. He said that if Diggs was the one running that route instead of Gabe, he goes inside like they are supposed to.

And as far as Von Miller goes...I can't be mad at them swinging for the fences to get the guy that has shown to be a difference maker in big moments. Those guys are super rare, and he had the championship pedigree. There was a poster or two here that did want Reddick in FA, so kudos to them and their evaluation ability, but Von was the proven commodity that did it in the biggest game

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

I remember A great point was made by Michael Irvin...whom I hate, but respect his knowledge on playing WR. He said that if Diggs was the one running that route instead of Gabe, he goes inside like they are supposed to.

And as far as Von Miller goes...I can't be mad at them swinging for the fences to get the guy that has shown to be a difference maker in big moments. Those guys are super rare, and he had the championship pedigree. There was a poster or two here that did want Reddick in FA, so kudos to them and their evaluation ability, but Von was the proven commodity that did it in the biggest game

Yeah the trio of terror (Gabe, Sherfield, Harty) are so unreliable its borderline absurd. Give me the Chan Gailey goon squad before these guys. 

Believe me, I'm hanging onto a sliver of hope that Von can come out of the bye week playing like something resembling a competent player. But this was the exact worse-case scenario when we signed him, so to see it play out when it was reasonable to think it could happen is more than just disappointing in my book. 

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Eagles and Chiefs are best in the league. Bills are right up there in top 3-5 tho.

Really? The Bills a top 3-5 team in the league? At 6-6 and looking at what is likely a losing season? Top 3-5 teams don't lose 7 to games in a season. Top 3-5 teams don't lose to the Jets, Pats, and Broncos and barely (and I mean barely) beat the Giants. At this point the Bills are a top 12 team at best. 

• Agree 2

Just now, IronyAbounds said:

Really? The Bills a top 3-5 team in the league? At 6-6 and looking at what is likely a losing season? Top 3-5 teams don't lose 7 to games in a season. Top 3-5 teams don't lose to the Jets, Pats, and Broncos and barely (and I mean barely) beat the Giants. At this point the Bills are a top 12 team at best. 

We're talking Front Offices in the conversation you quoted. Follow the quotes if you want to jump in :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

yea they have done a good job.  Yes they beat new england and change the staff.  

I am just saying if the eagles front office is going to be talked about being among the best shouldn't they have more than one championship?  Usually the best do it more than once to get that reputation.

and one more nitpicky thing here, the Eagles were given the gift of all gifts last year playing the giants at home in the divisional round and the 49ers with no qb for 3 quarters in the championship game.  Its not like they went on some NY giants 07 or 11 run and made this historic finish from the wild card to champions?  They got the ultimate break last year in that championship game  and then lost the next week.

I do not think they beat SF last year if purdy stays healthy and I do not believe they beat SF or Dallas this year if they play them in the playoffs.

so yea the eagles front office has made some excellent decisions and dumping wentz and putting in Hurts was the best one but I just think calling them the best is not fair, not when there are other front offices who have the same accomplishments.  

I mean if you go back over the last 10 years Seattle, KC, New England, Rams all have done the same or more.

This is the cloud of Patriots dynasty fogging your memory. It is NOT common for teams to win multiples. Certainly not in the modern league.

Seattle only has 1 win. Rams had 1 in 2000, and then a completely different team in a completely different city had 1 in 2021 (and now suck).

KC had a bit of a dynasty there with 2 wins in 4 years, but again, that's an anomaly.

Even the Ravens who have been one of the best managed teams in the NFL have 1 in 2001, and only 1 more in 2013.

If it wasnt for getting teabagged by New England for 20 years, we would know that winning even ONE Super Bowl is pretty uncommon. Let alone multiple.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We're talking Front Offices in the conversation you quoted. Follow the quotes if you want to jump in :thumbsup:

Oh, in that case, the Bills aren't a top 3-5 front office either. This front office has put the Bills in an almost impossible salary cap position and are stuck with killer contracts with Diggs and Miller. A top 3-5 front office would have resulted in more than a single Conference Championship appearance in 6-7 years. After all, it is the front office that produced today's coaches and players that are mediocre this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Oh, in that case, the Bills aren't a top 3-5 front office either. This front office has put the Bills in an almost impossible salary cap position and are stuck with killer contracts with Diggs and Miller. A top 3-5 front office would have resulted in more than a single Conference Championship appearance in 6-7 years. After all, it is the front office that produced today's coaches and players that are mediocre this year.

The FO didnt hire the coaches. The coaches have floundered and squandered the talent provided. The GM didnt blow the simple D calls in 13 seconds.

We have had, for the last few years running, one of the best rosters on paper in the NFL. Sure, that doesnt amount to much, there is no trophy for it, but the FO does their job and they do it well.

The salary cap is not an issue, and Diggs' contract is not unreasonable for what we got. I wont argue the Miller contract as I was shocked by that price tag as well, although he did look great before the fluke injury.

We'll be able to clear up over $24M in cap space in like 4 aging vet moves anyways. Plus all the other tricks and levers GMs pull.

Brandon Beane just won GM of the Year in 2020 and 2022. Roseman will win it this year, rightfully so.

We're good in the FO. Need to get the coaches figured out tho. I'm interested to see what Beane can help do there as well.

34 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is a good point. With the bye week now, I could see the Bills bringing in a kicker if Bass isn't getting it done. He didn't yesterday.

To be fair to Bass he missed one long kick in poor conditions, it really ***** sucks and people are building a narrative against him, but that ***** happens, nothing he can do about a blocked kick.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is the cloud of Patriots dynasty fogging your memory. It is NOT common for teams to win multiples. Certainly not in the modern league.

Seattle only has 1 win. Rams had 1 in 2000, and then a completely different team in a completely different city had 1 in 2021 (and now suck).

KC had a bit of a dynasty there with 2 wins in 4 years, but again, that's an anomaly.

Even the Ravens who have been one of the best managed teams in the NFL have 1 in 2001, and only 1 more in 2013.

If it wasnt for getting teabagged by New England for 20 years, we would know that winning even ONE Super Bowl is pretty uncommon. Let alone multiple.

Umm no.

You are not responding to what I said correctly.  In the last ten years the eagles have not done anymore and in some cases have done less than the teams I mentioned.

What does the rams 2000 team have to do with anything?

The Sean McVay-Les Snead duo in Los Angeles has lost a super bowl and won a super bowl, two different qbs. (They look like they have young talent again)

Pete Carroll - John schneider have won a super bowl and lost a super bowl.

Andy Reid - Brett Veach - two sb championships

Bill Belichick   no point in listing accomplishments.

SF seems to be about ready to be on this list with a lost a super bowl and won a super bowl also. so..

Kyle Shannahn - John Lynch 

the eagles have not done anything much different than any of these people and if they blow this season (I think they will) I mean how are they the best.

Edited by MikePJ76

45 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

When asked about the horse collar Hochuli responded saying

""We felt that the force from the front of the collar and what pulled him down was not from the back," referee Shawn Hochuli told a pool reporter after the game. "So, that’s pretty much it. We felt he was pulled down from the front of the jersey and collar.""

That's pretty much it?  Not only does he refuse to take ownership of a mistake that the rest of the world saw, but he doubles down on it in one of the most arrogant d-bag ways possible.   I hope that he get fired or least suspended and fined.

Refs will never admit fault. They will never do anything to undermine their authority or the notion that they are infallible. The number of times I've seen a referee/official/umpire admit fault across all professional sports in my life can be counted on two hands.

Edited by DapperCam

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Don't look now, but the Rams are 1 game out of a playoff spot and, given their schedule (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2023.htm), look to go 4-2 the rest of the way. The way the NFC is shaking out, a 9-8 team (and maybe two) will probably make it. Plus they've beaten Seattle twice. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Umm no.

You are not responding to what I said correctly.  In the last ten years the eagles have not done anymore and in some cases have done less than the teams I mentioned.

What does the rams 2000 team have to do with anything?

The Sean McVay-Les Snead duo in Los Angeles has lost a super bowl and won a super bowl, two different qbs. (They look like they have young talent again)

Pete Carroll - John schneider have won a super bowl and lost a super bowl.

Andy Reid - Brett Veach - two sb championships

Bill Belichick   no point in listing accomplishments.

SF seems to be about ready to be on this list with a lost a super bowl and won a super bowl also. so..

Kyle Shannahn - John Lynch 

the eagles have not done anything much different than any of these people and if they blow this season (I think they will) I mean how are they the best.

lol, YOU arent responding to what YOU said correctly.

You literally said:

I am just saying if the eagles front office is going to be talked about being among the best shouldn't they have more than one championshipUsually the best do it more than once to get that reputation.

There is nothing usual about winning more than one.

If all you are saying is teams need to get to the Super Bowl more than once, than Philly fits your criteria as well.

The Eagles FO is widely regarded as the best in the league and Roseman widely regarded as best GM. You dont have to agree with that since it's your own opinion, but dont act like they arent right up there with the best.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

lol, YOU arent responding to what YOU said correctly.

You literally said:

There is nothing usual about winning more than one.

If all you are saying is teams need to get to the Super Bowl more than once, than Philly fits your criteria as well.

The Eagles FO is widely regarded as the best in the league and Roseman widely regarded as best GM. You dont have to agree with that since it's your own opinion, but dont act like they arent right up there with the best.

yea that is my point.  They have one championship.  They are not the best.

My other point was that they have accomplished the exact same thing those other franchises I mentioned have in the last ten years and I Think SF is about to this year with a SB win.  

so again, how are they the best if they have only one championship and there are others with more and or equal that are still going at it?  

I'm nitpicking the annoying "The eagles are the best" narrative that everyone throws out.  No one ever mentions how others have done the same or more.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Don't look now, but the Rams are 1 game out of a playoff spot and, given their schedule (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/2023.htm), look to go 4-2 the rest of the way. The way the NFC is shaking out, a 9-8 team (and maybe two) will probably make it. Plus they've beaten Seattle twice. 

They have some talented young guys again.  

If stafford stays healthy they have a shot to sneak into the 7 seed.  If they beat cleveland at home this week which they have a shot at then they are setup to make that run.  Probably not winning at baltimore and the final game vs sf is tough but the rams always play the niners tough and who knows what that game will mean for the 49ers.  

its a long shot but the nfc is terrible after the 4 division leaders.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Just to punctuate the difference between Philly front office and ours: we could have had a 28 y/o Haason Reddick for... *checks notes* $5mil less AAV. 

He even was a Carolina Panther the year prior. How did McBeane miss out on this guy!! 

Leonard Floyd would like a word with you...the grass is always greener.

Posted in the wrong thread.  Pasting it here and apologies if it's already been talked about in this thread:

I'm wondering how much influence McD had on the last scoring drive in regulation to milk the clock.  I'm guessing it was his call to "not score too fast", like he said about the Broncos game.  In my opinion, you score fast there so that you have time on the clock if you need to score again (which they did).  I think the younger coaches of the game today would have went for the score regardless of the time on the clock knowing they would be in a better position with more time on the clock at the end of regulation. 

This is more just of a thought and wondering what others here think about that scenario.  Could have had more than 20 seconds on the clock at the end of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Roseman and crew just won a Super Bowl like 5 years ago, and then completely readjusted and rebuilt with a new HC and new QB and ended up back in the Super Bowl last year.

Rams sold their souls for that SB win ("F*CK THEM PICKS"), and I cant argue with the results, but they are a complete mess with a worse record than the Bills currently.

49ers are the best in the league but eagles and chiefs are right there. I’d kill to be in the Rams position. I just want one trophy. 

Nate Geary nailed it on his show. You can’t fight fate. That miraculous FG was always going to go in. We are just cursed. You knew that FG was going to go in too deep down in your soul if you were being honest, just admit it. There was never a doubt. If it was against any of the other franchises, there would’ve been some drama with it. It’s an awful feeling knowing it’s just not meant to be. 

Edited by BeavercreekBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

It did not end up directly costing us the game, but we cannot forget what happened with the refs.   Buffalo played undisciplined in the first half, but there is no way that the Eagles only got one penalty for five yards in the first half.   The inconsistency is bad enough, but ignoring the horse collar and calling Allen for grounding is egregious enough on it's own to warrant discipline.

I agree that the refs were literally wearing green outfits for most of the game, and were incredibly incompetent, and IMO, it did affect the outcome of the game, but....

...on the horse collar / grounding play, if you watch the video closely, the Philly defender did NOT have his hand inside the collar on the BACK of JA. He obviously did have his hand on the inside of his collar in front, above JA's chest, as he ripped the jersey there. So, the ref seemed to say in the post game presser that a horse collar must be administered on the back side of a player to be a foul. Is the latter true? I had thought that a hand inside the collar, anywhere around a player's head (360°), is a personal foul.

Also, the grounding part of it did seem legitimate; JA should have just taken the sack. And in actuality, he should have just thrown it away before he was dragged down.

32 minutes ago, phypon said:

Posted in the wrong thread.  Pasting it here and apologies if it's already been talked about in this thread:

I'm wondering how much influence McD had on the last scoring drive in regulation to milk the clock.  I'm guessing it was his call to "not score too fast", like he said about the Broncos game.  In my opinion, you score fast there so that you have time on the clock if you need to score again (which they did).  I think the younger coaches of the game today would have went for the score regardless of the time on the clock knowing they would be in a better position with more time on the clock at the end of regulation. 

This is more just of a thought and wondering what others here think about that scenario.  Could have had more than 20 seconds on the clock at the end of the game.

I was wondering the same thing, why limit you teams strengths - offensive possessions. 

Each week the goal should be to get as many possessions as possible for the offense. The team will win as the offense scores, the bills defense is just not good enough to defer to in these situations right now 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I agree that the refs were literally wearing green outfits for most of the game, and were incredibly incompetent, and IMO, it did affect the outcome of the game, but....

...on the horse collar / grounding play, if you watch the video closely, the Philly defender did NOT have his hand inside the collar on the BACK of JA. He obviously did have his hand on the inside of his collar in front, above JA's chest, as he ripped the jersey there. So, the ref seemed to say in the post game presser that a horse collar must be administered on the back side of a player to be a foul. Is the latter true? I had thought that a hand inside the collar, anywhere around a player's head (360°), is a personal foul.

Also, the grounding part of it did seem legitimate; JA should have just taken the sack. And in actuality, he should have just thrown it away before he was dragged down.

Disagree on the horse collar.  It was there.  So was the hit to the head on Kincaid and the DPI on Sherfield.  Frankly, and objectively, I thought the Brown play was a fumble.  It was bang-bang, but he had his steps and pulled the ball toward his chest.  Fumble all day long.  

It’s been a crappy year for officiating.  Picking up the ineligible man flag against NE might keep us out of the playoffs, as might the very odd Sutton call against Denver.  Then again, had we actually made a couple of plays in either of those games, or simply counted properly against Denver, we might not be in this mess. 

On one Bills live Tasker keeps saying around you going to let McDermott go to another team and take what he’s learned from these losses and let another team benefit from it? I don’t want to loosely throw around the thought that something is the dumbest thing I have ever heard but is this guy ***** serious? What does that even mean? I’m not going to mention the fact that McDermott hasn’t learned a thing from any of these losses and is still just losing the same way but let another team benefit? What an idiot. Also, so you keep a horseshit coach so another team doesn’t get the pleasure of constantly blowing close games and calling a horrible defense? What world is this?

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

On one Bills live Tasker keeps saying around you going to let McDermott go to another team and take what he’s learned from these losses and let another team benefit from it? I don’t want to loosely throw around the thought that something is the dumbest thing I have ever heard but is this guy ***** serious? What does that even mean? I’m not going to mention the fact that McDermott hasn’t learned a thing from any of these losses and is still just losing the same way but let another team benefit? What an idiot. Also, so you keep a horseshit coach so another team doesn’t get the pleasure of constantly blowing close games and calling a horrible defense? What world is this?

yeahhhhh…. don’t listen to OBL.

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

A THRILLER!

WOW! GAME OF THE YEAR!

YEAH BABY THAT WAS FUN!

We always end up on the losing side in these types of games. Definitely avoiding the NFL network this week as they will be replaying that game a bunch of times.

Incomplete pass to Brown. Philly needed to get the O off the field and bring the kicking team out, line up and kick the ball. I do not get the ice the kicker in that situation. Its one thing when the other team is not rushed and has their own time-outs or was killing clock for a easy kick. This was PHI looking for more yards so the kick would not be a 60 yarder. We basically gave them time to prep and get all their ducks in a row and kicker warm up longer. Makes absolutely no sense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.