Joe Brady says Gabe Davis was the player of the game against the Jets

BillsFan619

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Oh I 100 percent agree . They need to upgrade at WR2 next year for sure

And they will.  WR2 was the biggest question going into the offseason.  I don’t think it happened for a few reasons.  First the Bills love Gabe and truly had hoped his inconsistent 2022 was related to the ankle injury.  

Second, they knew the team was likely out of range to land one of the top WR’s in the draft.  

Third, the team had limited cap space and needs at a few positions.  They thought money was better spent on a player like McGovern.  

Basically they put a lot of faith in Gabe to take the next step it never happened.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, foreboding said:

True. But reality is you can fire/demote a mid -round drafted wr alot easier than your hc...and Davis does drop alot of balls.

Not the point.  

The point is the support for both.  Imagine the story on Davis if we go on to win the SB that season.  

But McD has plenty of support, and he was the reason for the loss.  He undid a great game by Davis and hasn't done anything otherwise in the playoffs.  Yet, he's got quite a bit of support.  

Meanwhile, Davis, a second WR, not even a first or primary, takes a beating, while many of the same people support McD.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That perception would have been a whole lot different had we beaten KC in that game and gone on to the Super Bowl, likely to have won that.  

Funny, the support for McD who prevented that, but the hammering that Davis takes, who's the only reason we were in that game.  

This is changing the subject.  The point was that fans expected to see more performances from Gabe like 13 seconds.  He’s made some nice plays and had a few big games since but largely has been the same inconsistent receiver throughout his career

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

This is changing the subject.  The point was that fans expected to see more performances from Gabe like 13 seconds.  He’s made some nice plays and had a few big games since but largely has been the same inconsistent receiver throughout his career

It wasn't changing my subject.  That's the point I originally made.  

If you want to argue something else, then fine, but that's the point I made.  

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

And they will.  WR2 was the biggest question going into the offseason.  I don’t think it happened for a few reasons.  First the Bills love Gabe and truly had hoped his inconsistent 2022 was related to the ankle injury.  

Second, they knew the team was likely out of range to land one of the top WR’s in the draft.  

Third, the team had limited cap space and needs at a few positions.  They thought money was better spent on a player like McGovern.  

Basically they put a lot of faith in Gabe to take the next step it never happened.

Ya i do wish they addressed it more in the off season.

Although I know it’s tough.

WRs are expensive and bills drafted Kincaid in the 1st

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I prefer my WR’s to actually get yards and TD’s. We could put a lineman or TE out there if we are only concerned with blocking. 

Aside from his one legendary game, Gabe has been disappointing and inconsistent. And he's having a mediocre contract year.  My WR2 needs to produce and I don't mean as a blocker.  That ridiculous drop in the Denver game was the last straw.  I want him phased out and wish him the best with another team.  Maybe someday we'll actually field 2 competent wrs?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The coaches are just probably trying to give Gabe some love because they know how much the media and fans have been ripping him…

They probably just really like the guy because he’s a nice guy and a good teammate- similar to Trumaine…

But like with Edmunds, they probably don’t like him enough to not upgrade the position- especially after how much McD praised the Eagles offense and all their weapons…

I respect it, but it’s likely all just “coach speak”…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Not the point.  

The point is the support for both.  Imagine the story on Davis if we go on to win the SB that season.  

But McD has plenty of support, and he was the reason for the loss.  He undid a great game by Davis and hasn't done anything otherwise in the playoffs.  Yet, he's got quite a bit of support.  

Meanwhile, Davis, a second WR, not even a first or primary, takes a beating, while many of the same people support McD.  

Again, McD was not the reason for that loss. There is zero reason to think so. 

Levi Wallace made it plain they called the right play on D, but that the communication between himself and Poyer broke down and that resulted in that big hole for Kelce. 

It really was a great game by Davis and of course by Allen as well.

I love what Brady said here. Clearly Davis wasn't the MVP, but equally he's doing a lot that goes under the radar and Brady is pointing that out and keeping the team together by spreading the praise. Good for him

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I would suspect that Gabe will get priced out and the Bills would be wise to let him walk (take the comp pick and try to retain a defensive free agent with that money like AJE). The Bills would then be wise to spend a 1st rounder at WR to replace Gabe and given that Diggs will be 31 next season have an heir apparent ready long term (having Shakir, Kincaid and a rookie as the young guns with Diggs as the vet). 

31 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Levi Wallace made it plain they called the right play on D, but that the communication between himself and Poyer broke down and that resulted in that big hole for Kelce. 

I love what Brady said here. Clearly Davis wasn't the MVP, but equally he's doing a lot that goes under the radar and Brady is pointing that out and keeping the team together by spreading the praise. Good for him

I like Brady trying to get a pivotal player (like or hate Gabe but the team needs at least some solid production from him) some kudos for doing the dirty work (blocking and run routes both things Gabe is good at) that doesn’t get on the stat sheet. 

I think this is a sign that Brady thinks holistically and he knows going into some tougher games he is going to need Gabe to have a bigger receiving impact and continue to do the dirty work as well.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a very underrated skill. Gabe happens to be excellent at it. His 1st couple of years as a number 3 WR, that's what he did....block. The result was big seasons for other reciever such as Brown, Beasley, Diggs and Knox. While he was busy doing all the dirty work, defenses pretty much forgot about him. Then Josh began feeding him the ball, with fantastic results. Hopefully, this can be duplicated.

One of the things that has infuriated me this season is all of the forced throws to Diggs. Perhaps this method of getting the ball to other pass catchers, using Gabe in a way he obviously excels, is just the ticket. This offense is really good especially when Josh is spreading the ball around. Gabe makes that easier to do and it should not be underestimated. Just my two cent....

13 hours ago, uninja said:

I see Gabe Davis as our Danny Amendola, rarely pops on the stat sheet, has a good game here and there and just has playoff games where you're like 'brah where you been this whole year?!'

Gabe will never be as good as Amendola was. Amendola was always clutch for Brady and that is never going to be what Gabe is to Josh.

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No.  Middle linebacker and offensive line were the two biggest questions, and the Bills seem to have gotten both correct. 

They did.  WR2 was a big question mark as well.   The Bills showed a ton of faith in Davis and it didn’t pay off

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Despite the coaches saying how well he played

They are referring to his run blocking in one game last week.  When you look at his performance and numbers over the course of the season, he’s essentially the same player he’s always been.  There was hope he’d step it up a little, and it really never happened.  

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

They are referring to his run blocking in one game last week.  When you look at his performance and numbers over the course of the season, he’s essentially the same player he’s always been.  There was hope he’d step it up a little, and it really never happened.  

Right.  That’s what they needed from him in the game.  That’s what he delivered.

I'm all for unselfish play and realize stats don't tell the whole story.  However,  when your full time WR who plays the majority of the snaps is averaging 3.3 catches and 49 yds a game, there's more than just helping out in the run game and others get open going on. 

Edited by White Linen

While everyone is ragging on Davis, he'll keep doing the dirty work....then when everyone least expects it...he'll catch an 80yd bomb. The Bills wanted him to be a number 2 and in case Diggs goes down, he could be a number one. That is not what he is, but he does make a big play from time to time. I've been so infuriated watching the Bills target only Diggs and Davis. Defenses catch on to that too. Using him as a down field blocker and getting the ball into the hands of a multitude of other play makers is just playing smart. It also opens things up for Gabe when the defense doesn't know who it's going to next.

Early in the season people were talking about the 2 TE set and how to get a single high safety so Gabe could do what he does. That all sounds nice, but when you neglect to put the ball in multiple hands, spread the wealth, you are doing a great disservice to your team. Our new OC picked up on that right away. The route concepts opened up last week. The presnap motion was back. Everyone on offense was involved. Even Dion Dawkins was running all the way across the line to put a hat on someone.

More than that, it looked like everyone was having fun. Meanwhile, Davis was quietly doing the dirty work so the rest of the team could. Ain't nothing wrong with that.  He's going to make some catches too, and opening things up for everyone else is exactly how he does it. Davis can be a number 2, just not the way everyone thought at the beginning of the year. I think Davis' struggles this year is because he has not been put in position to succeed. He isn't quick twitch and able to plant a foot and gain quick separation. He's pretty good at deep routes, but those short routes are better off going to Shakir, Kincaid, Cook. Everyone has different skill sets. I'm happy to see a play caller recognize that and start playing to the team's strengths for a change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I can't stop laughing!  

First of all, what about the pass to Hill on the prior play?  What the pro-McD excuse for that one?  

Secondly, here's a clip of that Kelce play.  I'd absolutely love to get your take, not the rest of the forum's, but your take on the "communicational breakdown" between Wallace and Poyer, who were what, 25 yards away from each other, with Wallace clearly the cover responsibility on Kelce?   

What was the breakdown?  What was each "supposed to do?"   ... Many would suggest that maybe Poyer shouldn't have been nearly 30 yards away from any play and backpeddling on the snap.   How is that a "communication breakdown" between the two players?   Did you mean a communication breakdown between Poyer and the sideline?  

Poyer's 27 yards from the line-of-scrimmage, and 20 yards from Wallace.  

Poyer immediately begins backpeddling when the ball is snapped, and doesn't even begin to reverse his momentum until Mahomes throws to Kelce.  

So I'm all ears as to this supposed breakdown between Wallace and Poyer who weren't even near each other, with Poyer nowhere near any receiver, much less Kelce.  

Let's also keep in mind that McD called a timeout immediately prior to that play, presumably to get it right.  He certainly had plenty of time to think things through.   

Blaming anyone but McD for that loss is at least partially misguided.  Has there ever been a coach that's taken less heat for the major gaffs of his own team than McD? 

Yeah, that goes without saying.  :) 

That's fair, and I don't begrudge him doing that.  He and the rest of the staff have to say whatever they need to say to keep team unity and increase their odds of optomizing their performance.  The words are nice, but it'd also be nice if the executional aspects of our coaching followed suit.  Wouldn't you say.  

And BTW, it still doesn't alter the fact that the only reason why we were even in that game, besides Allen, was Davis.  

Without Davis that day, McD has yet another horrible playoff loss on his hands.  

I never had unrealistic expectations for GD so it’s all good… except after the Denver loss when he and another “Captain” decided they weren’t gonna speak with the media.

To me that was the moment he was supposed to exhibit leadership, perspective, and wisdom. As a Captain he got a failing grade IMO.

Davis takes a lot of heat for a WR that gets paid as little as he's been paid.  It'd be one thing if he were brought on at $10/season or something, but he's far from that.  His original contact w/o escalators was less than $1M/season.  

It seems that a lot of the dissatisfaction with Davis would be more appropriately directed at Beane.  But he appears to be off-limits in this context.  

As a reminder, Davis was a late 4th-round pick, the 22nd pick in the 4th.  He's done just fine considering.  

Will he be worth what he'll get in free-agency?  Probably not. 

Could we use an upgrade, sure.  But that's not Davis' fault.  

Edited by PBF81

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Davis takes a lot of heat for a WR that gets paid as little as he's been paid.  It'd be one thing if he were brought on at $10/season or something, but he's far from that.  His original contact w/o escalators was less than $1M/season.

For me, once he was named a Team Captain, that changed things.

It's an opportunity that he is so far squandering... and not necessarily by his play.

This has been a dark season so far and he has not brought anything to change that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.