McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

"low positive" vs "high fructose" 

I'd rather have "high fructose" Josh.

This really is a chance for McD at least behind the scenes to back away from the complimentary football narrative and neutered low positive Josh and just tell Brady to set him loose.  If it doesn't work out he just publicly scapegoats Brady and has an out.  He has to see at this point what cutting Josh's balls off has wrought 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Ken Dorsey strikes me as the guy who's always angry at work no matter what the situation. I know that the overall mood at OBD is pretty poor right now. McDermott has not been great at managing the personalities on the team. His loyalty to people he has worked with prior has stagnated the team. The situation with Elam comes to mind. Rather than develop young talent, McDermott wants a guy he's coached before or one of his friends in the league coached them or they had dinner together or whatever the case. He is after like minded people because he really struggles with people outside of his comfort zone. 

Daboll was a big personality in the building. He built a close relationship with the best player on the team. For better or worse, he was creative. I think he related to the guys in the room better. Guys wanted to play for him. I mean the 13 second Bills had a Super Bowl winning offense. That side of the ball was absolutely unbelievable for most of that year. And I don't think McDermott had a single thing to do with it. And that was an issue.

Diggs has become a toxic and polarizing figure on the team. The mellow drama that has played out with him this offseason and still continues into this week, should have been shut down immediately. But now his brother has created a rift between the franchise quarterback and not just his #1 receiver, but who he considers his best friend. And anyone who's ever held a job knows, these kinds of incidents at work definitely create tension. Everyone will have their own opinion about the situation. And the incidents with Josh on the sidelines. Are those truly harmless interactions? While a great player, I would not think that these would go unchecked by the head coach. The reports this offseason that Diggs may not even report for training camp eluded to a rift between coaches and players, Diggs clearly the figurehead in this situation.

Fraizer was fired. Statistically, coached a top 5 defense in Buffalo. Assistant head coach. A highly respected coach and human being through out the NFL. Coaches typically don't step away from a position where they have been successful. The way it was presented outside of OBD, to me, hints at a power struggle that happened shortly after the end of the season and one that was lost by Fraizer. In my opinion, McDermott not bringing on a new defensive coordinator was a mistake, but it was never about who he felt could coach the defense successfully. It was about power within the organization.  

In the press conference, the mentioning of what a great relationship he has with Terry is what should worry all of us the most. He's basically saying to the media, don't bother asking about my status with the company or if I'll be fired, because he knows he won't be. Anyone that questions McDermott has been steamrolled right out of the building. Two very influential coaches in two consecutive offseasons. He puts Ken Dorsey, his guy, in as offensive coordinator. He no longer has an assistant head coach or a defensive coordinator. He already had a great deal of influence when it came to the draft and personnel decisions off the field.

This team is more McDermott's than it ever has been. These press conferences will become more and more unsettled if the team continues to flounder because he has truly run out of scapegoats. Talking about "what's wrong with Josh" might be foreshadowing to who's going to bear the burden of McDermott's failures as a coach and leader this offseason.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

This really is a chance for McD at least behind the scenes to back away from the complimentary football narrative and neutered low positive Josh and just tell Brady to set him loose.  If it doesn't work out he just publicly scapegoats Brady and has an out.  He has to see at this point what cutting Josh's balls off has wrought 

And the fact is, he doesn't even have to scapegoat Brady.  It's as simple as saying:

"it was a short week and we were trying to see what we could do to get some more energy out of the guys.  Did some good things and thing they are going to keep getting better moving forward."

No blame needed and can let Josh be Josh.  Now if Josh ends up doing the same thing that he did in the first game, that's where the blame is going to go and rightfully so.

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

And the fact is, he doesn't even have to scapegoat Brady.  It's as simple as saying:

"it was a short week and we were trying to see what we could do to get some more energy out of the guys.  Did some good things and thing they are going to keep getting better moving forward."

No blame needed and can let Josh be Josh.  Now if Josh ends up doing the same thing that he did in the first game, that's where the blame is going to go and rightfully so.

There will be no scapegoating of Brady, it's all set up to remain with Dorsey.  Curtailing Josh's running was a team decision to increase the odds he makes it through the season and to lengthen Josh's career.   

Now if that restriction is lifted the offense should be more dangerous.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

There will be no scapegoating of Brady, it's all set up to remain with Dorsey.  Curtailing Josh's running was a team decision to increase the odds he makes it through the season and to lengthen Josh's career.   

Now if that restriction is lifted the offense should be more dangerous.

The question is whether McD will lift that restriction or not.

At this point, he'd be a fool not to so then the blame can be directed at Dorsey even more for limiting Josh even though McD was likely heavily in favor of it.

The best part is, he won't even have to point at Dorsey if Josh starts playing Luke he used to.  The media and fans will do it for him.

• Agree 1

Either Sean doesn’t realize or he is reluctant to accept the team’s struggles are all his responsibility. He’s been taking the credit for the team’s ascent as the best team not to win a championship, now he must stop scapegoating Josh and the OC and the players that blew the Denver game. It’s the classic example of a coach who’s voice is getting old and not registering with the players. His assistant coaches have been epic failures and his draft choices have not produced impact players. His roster consistently is overpaid  leaving cap space constraints and he’s losing to inferior teams. His game day decision making shows little confidence in the offense and it exposes an injury riddled defense.. Any criticism of Josh should be left unsaid knowing he’s got a crisis of confidence and doesn’t benefit from negativity in national media. Sean’s tenure has run its course and we won’t win with him going forward. If Pegula doesn’t understand this we’re in trouble.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I know it's sacrilegious to say it, but Beane hasn't drafted that well. 

It makes you wonder shaw.  One thing I kept hearing with dabol is taking plays out Josh didn't like.

Why?

You are limiting your offense if you can't use the full playbook.  You also  become predictable 

Seems to me it's a two-way street.  There has to be a positive, productive relationship among QB, HC, and QB.  They do have to listen to Allen, but Allen also has to respond to their leadership.  

Allen has to want to be great and be willing to do whatever it takes.  As someone said, he needs to be obsessed about football excellence.  That comes both from I side and leadership on the outside.  

I go back to Belichick and Brady.  Bill was a defensive coach, but he and Brady were always on the same page when it came to what Brady was doing on the field.  These recent comments suggest that McDermott delegated the care and feeding of Josh to the OC.  If he did, that was a mistake.

McDermott has the obsession.  He needs to draw Allen in.

Allen needs to see and live the vision of true greatness.  I thought he was getting it earlier this year but, no.  The best way to see it is to hang out with McDermott.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

As someone who tries not to get into this stuff about his personal life, I really don't think this is the case. I have heard they have broken up numerous times, and that he wanted her out and she didn't want to go.If he really wanted her back, I have a feeling he could have her back. He seems pretty happy with Hailee Steinfeld, and their relationship is a lot more lowkey. My old employer and former co-worker did a dinner for them  a couple weeks ago. Maybe the drama of the whole situation with Brittany bothers him, but who knows. I don't think he is missing her and is quite happy with Steinfeld, even though it's a big change in his life.

Like I said, I was just guessing. Sounds like you have closer info than me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Jawaan Taylor sucks and was a horrific overpay.

They also drafted a horror show of WR talent. 

Defense has been great. Eagles will beat them comfortably. 

Taylor is one of the top rated pass blocking tackles in the NFL. He’s not great at run blocking but the Chiefs rarely run.

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Other than the top pick last year (which can still pan out ) Beane's draft classes have been top notch. 

Beane has been consistent with drafting average players (which is honestly an improvement over most GM’s).

Meaning, his draft picks are rarely ever awful. The majority of them can start or play rotationally.

But he has been very bad at drafting great players.

In Beane’s tenure he has drafted 44 players:

0 MVP

0 OPOY

0 DPOY

0 First team all-pro

0 OROY

0 DROY

3 Pro Bowlers (Allen, Knox, and Edmunds)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Jawaan Taylor sucks and was a horrific overpay.

They also drafted a horror show of WR talent. 

Defense has been great. Eagles will beat them comfortably. 

WTF?  Taylor was getting called for formation penalties early in the season, but he’s adjusted and been very good overall this season.  The Chiefs drafted Skyy Moore late in the second round two years ago, and he’s sucked.  They drafted Rashee Rice in the second last year, and he’s been excellent.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane has been consistent with drafting average players (which is honestly an improvement over most GM’s).

Meaning, his draft picks are rarely ever awful. The majority of them can start or play rotationally.

0 MVP

0 OPOY

0 DPOY

0 First team all-pro

0 OROY

0 DROY

This is a joke right?

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

0 MVP

0 OPOY

0 DPOY

0 First team all-pro

0 OROY

0 DROY

How many top 15 picks has he had?  It's very hard to get those type of players without getting a top draft pick.  If you do it generally has to be a development like Milano which takes some time.  I think last year was the first year he was able to draft an obvious talent like Kincaid in the first.  

59 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Seems to me it's a two-way street.  There has to be a positive, productive relationship among QB, HC, and QB.  They do have to listen to Allen, but Allen also has to respond to their leadership.  

Allen has to want to be great and be willing to do whatever it takes.  As someone said, he needs to be obsessed about football excellence.  That comes both from I side and leadership on the outside.  

I go back to Belichick and Brady.  Bill was a defensive coach, but he and Brady were always on the same page when it came to what Brady was doing on the field.  These recent comments suggest that McDermott delegated the care and feeding of Josh to the OC.  If he did, that was a mistake.

McDermott has the obsession.  He needs to draw Allen in.

Allen needs to see and live the vision of true greatness.  I thought he was getting it earlier this year but, no.  The best way to see it is to hang out with McDermott.  

I think they need to sit down and iron whatever out and get on the same page.  Shanahan got Elway to buy into the WCO.  look at how Bill Walsh and Montana got along.

If you don't have that, it's never going to work.  I'll say again...maybe an offensive HC would be nest for Josh for just that reason

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

How many top 15 picks has he had?  It's very hard to get those type of players without getting a top draft pick.  If you do it generally has to be a development like Milano which takes some time.  I think last year was the first year he was able to draft an obvious talent like Kincaid in the first.  

He gets a pass because he’s not drafting in the top 15? I disagree.

One could honestly make an argument that, outside of Josh (1 player), Whaleys last draft (in terms of impact players) was equal to or better than all of Beane’s drafts combined.

In that last draft Whaley picked Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I think they need to sit down and iron whatever out and get on the same page.  Shanahan got Elway to buy into the WCO.  look at how Bill Walsh and Montana got along.

If you don't have that, it's never going to work.  I'll say again...maybe an offensive HC would be nest for Josh for just that reason

Yeah, the nature of the relationship, and the importance of it, is an argument for an offensive HC, to be sure.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bimmer323i said:

Did you see him at the end of his presser… He was literally shaking….

I thought it was just me, but he seems quite flustered. Which is how he coaches when the moments are biggest.

If you think about it, this is the first time he has really faced any serious and sustained criticism. It's not just local media, which is tame, but national media just tearing him apart. 

Even after 13 seconds he just shut down questions and everyone disappeared into the off-season. Then it was "we're looking ahead not into the past" and the team won a lot of games in 22 so it wasn't a topic he really ever had to deal with publicly.

Who knows what local Dallas media thinks of Big Mike McCarthy unless you're in Dallas. But every national sports show tears the guy apart along with Dak after every stumble. 

These guys care a lot more about their careers and reputation around the league than what the local cheerleaders in the media think.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh needs to put in the off-season work.

I said it last year before the season ended, got shouted down, but Joe Marino this morning said it again: 

His off-seasons are drinking until he passes out, golf and Hollywood partying.

Listening to all his Kyle Brandt interviews was disappointing.

I think we have a Ben Roethlisberger/Brett Favre type worker.

Josh’s consecutive start streak is testament to his toughness and not a small accomplishment. 

But he doesn’t condition himself in the off-season, and has said he doesn’t over indulge in film. 

You want that intersection of talent and preparation and you’re just not getting it with Josh.

Does he really want to be great? I think his attitude suggests that he thinks “he’s the greatest athlete in the world” who can just show up in July and dominate. 

In terms of the staff, I think we will need an open interview with multiple minds at offensive coordinator.

One thing that everyone who dissects the All-22 agrees on is that the Bills scheme is not creative. While checkdowns are available on every passing play to the flats, everything else are basic plays, and you’ve heard multiple corners who have intercepted passes say the same thing - we knew what was coming and baited Josh Allen into the throw. 

Dorsey seemed to have set plays to beat certain coverages that he called over and over and over and over again. If we get this, we call this, if we see this we call that. And he also was overly concerned about not sticking with one thing too much even if it was working. Every week the offense felt like it was get more and more condensed East to West and North to South.

I defended him for awhile last year because he played high level football, was the starting QB on one of the best college teams of all time, and had a good career in the NFL as a coach. Not an over the hill OC (Frank Reich, Norv Turner type) and not a 29 year old OC who had 1.5 years as an offensive quality control coach. Dorsey simply showed he can’t compete at the highest levels of scheme and get his offense to execute. Firing him was the right decision because there was zero evidence this funk was going to end. 

I caught some of the Ben Johnson interview and he said they have a team of coaches upstairs who are constantly thinking of ideas to add formation variations into the offense. 

With Dorsey out of the building, and no dedicated QB Coach now, that’s one less offensive mind in the room to combat the defensive coordinators. 

The logical path is to fire McDermott and get a better/smarter staff in here. Do we need to hold onto McDermott as the HC/DC when we’ve seen his defense give up leads to the Patriots and Broncos, while also coming within a whisker of blowing the Giants and Bucs games?

No. We know it’s not going to be good enough in the Playoffs and 30+ points will be scored on us. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

not true.  Basham was an awful pick at the time , morose with Humphrey right there. Then the next year I think it was we passed on Lindenblume (C) all to trade up for Elam. 

17 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly! Everybody WANTS TO win. The Bills problem, at least under McDermott anyway, is the their heads haven’t been in the moment, in the moment. Way, way, way too many foolish mistakes at crunch time. The really good teams and their coaches learn to stay focused at those crucial moments. It’s as if time stands still for them. There’s no pressure. No crowd noise. No thoughts about what happens if we fail. They’re simply undistracted. Very, very few people have that skill set. It is NOT luck! 

Brady said in his podcast on Sirius NFL radio that in those moments he would tell himself he already lost anyway, so it was all a second chance, house money. 

Basically a mental game he would play. 

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If you think about it, this is the first time he has really faced any serious and sustained criticism

There may be some truth in this. But I think it is less "flustered" and more that he is dissembling throughout the press confernce and everyone knows it, and it is very awkard to watch/listen to someone doing that. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen has to want to be great and be willing to do whatever it takes.  As someone said, he needs to be obsessed about football excellence.

I don’t think Allen is wired this way. He seems to have a lot of interests outside of football that fulfills his life, especially in the offseason. Football seems like a career and not a passion that drives him to try and be the best. 

There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a well rounded way to live life. 

1 hour ago, Billl said:

WTF?  Taylor was getting called for formation penalties early in the season, but he’s adjusted and been very good overall this season.  The Chiefs drafted Skyy Moore late in the second round two years ago, and he’s sucked.  They drafted Rashee Rice in the second last year, and he’s been excellent.  

I disagree that he has been very good. 

IMO, he is the weakest link on that OL and that's not good when he was the shining addition this year. His PFF grade is well below average for OT's (it's worse than Spencer Brown which is surprising, but it's PFF so there's a boulder of salt there.)

Rashee Rice is currently 61st in the NFL in receiving yards. He's a bright spot in an underwhelming WR group. Again, IMO, but that Chiefs receiving group is even worse this year and they were nothing special last year.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I don’t think Allen is wired this way. He seems to have a lot of interests outside of football that fulfills his life, especially in the offseason. Football seems like a career and not a passion that drives him to try and be the best. 

There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a well rounded way to live life. 

If that's true I think it represents a change. When he first came into the league and indeed the determination he showed in pursuing his career before he became a pro, showed great passion for the game. And he seemed to enjoy playing, seemed to be having fun. Now he sulks on the bench by himself. His head is not right.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

KC’s gm has been above average with his drafts in general. Especially finding gems in the later rounds. But you gotta admit he hasn’t been great at drafting receivers. Hardman over Metcalf. Moore over Pickens. Just two examples of bad wr drafting. Their best wr drafted was Hill and he wasn’t a wr coming out of college. That was also not a Veach draft I don’t think. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Taylor is one of the top rated pass blocking tackles in the NFL. He’s not great at run blocking but the Chiefs rarely run.

See above.

IMO, what made the Chiefs so dynamic last year was their RB’s. I think you could argue their biggest non-Kelce weapons were Pacheco and McKinnon. They have struggled to replicate that this season and have put more on the WRs and Mahomes.

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

If that's true I think it represents a change. When he first came into the league and indeed the determination he showed in pursuing his career before he became a pro, showed great passion for the game. And he seemed to enjoy playing, seemed to be having fun. Now he sulks on the bench by himself. His head is not right.

He definitely worked hard in the early years to get to where he is, a top NFL qb. From the outside it seems like he has let up on the offseason work. Maybe he felt like he has made it. I would be very surprised if we don’t see him get back to more rigorous training this coming offseason. This season has been humbling for Allen, the team, and Bills fans in general. 

49 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

He definitely worked hard in the early years to get to where he is, a top NFL qb. From the outside it seems like he has let up on the offseason work. Maybe he felt like he has made it. I would be very surprised if we don’t see him get back to more rigorous training this coming offseason. This season has been humbling for Allen, the team, and Bills fans in general. 

Well he'd better start sorting it out because if he's not going to turn it around I'd rather roll the dice on Drake Maye or Caleb Williams. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I said it last year before the season ended, got shouted down, but Joe Marino this morning said it again: 

Josh’s consecutive start streak is testament to his toughness and not a small accomplishment. 

But he doesn’t condition himself in the off-season, and has said he doesn’t over indulge in film. 

You want that intersection of talent and preparation and you’re just not getting it with Josh.

Does he really want to be great? I think his attitude suggests that he thinks “he’s the greatest athlete in the world” who can just show up in July and dominate. 

In terms of the staff, I think we will need an open interview with multiple minds at offensive coordinator.

One thing that everyone who dissects the All-22 agrees on is that the Bills scheme is not creative. While checkdowns are available on every passing play to the flats, everything else are basic plays, and you’ve heard multiple corners who have intercepted passes say the same thing - we knew what was coming and baited Josh Allen into the throw. 

Dorsey seemed to have set plays to beat certain coverages that he called over and over and over and over again. If we get this, we call this, if we see this we call that. And he also was overly concerned about not sticking with one thing too much even if it was working. Every week the offense felt like it was get more and more condensed East to West and North to South.

I defended him for awhile last year because he played high level football, was the starting QB on one of the best college teams of all time, and had a good career in the NFL as a coach. Not an over the hill OC (Frank Reich, Norv Turner type) and not a 29 year old OC who had 1.5 years as an offensive quality control coach. Dorsey simply showed he can’t compete at the highest levels of scheme and get his offense to execute. Firing him was the right decision because there was zero evidence this funk was going to end. 

I caught some of the Ben Johnson interview and he said they have a team of coaches upstairs who are constantly thinking of ideas to add formation variations into the offense. 

With Dorsey out of the building, and no dedicated QB Coach now, that’s one less offensive mind in the room to combat the defensive coordinators. 

The logical path is to fire McDermott and get a better/smarter staff in here. Do we need to hold onto McDermott as the HC/DC when we’ve seen his defense give up leads to the Patriots and Broncos, while also coming within a whisker of blowing the Giants and Bucs games?

No. We know it’s not going to be good enough in the Playoffs and 30+ points will be scored on us. 

Step 1: fire McDermott amd all offensive staff.

2. Hire an offensive minded HC implementing a WCO.

• Agree 1

I read McD hopes Josh Allen gets back to the old Josh Allen.  Personally I always felt that McD is at least partially responsible for the new Josh Allen.

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It would be interesting to know what up-and-coming offensive assistant coaches think about the Bills OC position.   If you would like to have a future that follows the standard ladder - Assistant, Position Coach, Coordinator, Head Coach, would Buffalo be attractive?  Or do assistants around the league already think that the environment is poisoned, and the coordinator position there won't be a good stepping stone?  When Sean McDermott goes to the market to hire the next OC, will the best candidates submit their resumes?

I'm getting a little senile, but I could have sworn I made a comment about this.  A little differently I think but basically the same meaning and you told me of course people would want to be OC here.  Did you change your thought on that?

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well he'd better start sorting it out because if he's not going to turn it around I'd rather roll the dice on Drake Maye or Caleb Williams. 

I’m not sold on those guys at the next level. There’s no way I’d move on from Allen for any college prospects. Allen is athletically gifted and he has shown he can be great at the highest levels. Let’s work on the consistency aspect and all will be good. Oh a new coaching staff wouldn’t hurt either. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

Neve really mattered to me that we had a defensive head coach, especially with how he turned the franchise around. But I can say it's very clear to me that both Beane and McDermott struggle to properly analyze offensive talent.

The biggest concern I had was after Kincaid was drafted Dorsey flat up said he wasn't sure how he would use him.- I'm sorry what? Chalked it up to deflecting - now though it wasn't that at all.

And to your point how the hell did it take this long being around him to make a decision - the constant umms when he spoke drive me insane 

Thats part of Dorsey's problem.  He doesn't seem to know how to identify what players do well and how to utilize that.  He may know his X's and O's but he doesn't seem to have a feel for it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Favre and Roethlisberger are in the Hall of Fame with three SuperBowl wins. We can only hope Allen has same career.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

not true.  Basham was an awful pick at the time , morose with Humphrey right there. Then the next year I think it was we passed on Lindenblume (C) all to trade up for Elam. 

I'm not sure what this in reference to.  Basham was not an awful pick.  He was a second round pick that most thought had a very strong game.  Humphrey wasn't a can't miss plus we didn't need a second Center

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.