Is Dawson Knox is much more important to this team than we ever thought?

transplantbillsfan

15 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Maybe it’s 24 possessions with the lead and 1 td. Forget what they said on radio today. 

I heard the stat too and am having a hard time remembering when the Bills had the lead for any length of time since the Miami game

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Outside of blocking I don't see how losing him would cause this team to score only 1 td while leading in the last 24 quarters (saw this stat somewhere). Especially with Kincaid playing great. 

Knox played the role of Spencer brown blocking.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Maybe it’s 24 possessions with the lead and 1 td. Forget what they said on radio today. 

The point is that the Bills stop scoring when they have the lead. If the uptempo offense is unstoppable you have to slow it down, it's not fair to the defense.

It's 'complementary football', if the offense looks a lot better than the defense feelings get hurt, McDs feelings.

You gotta just protect that lead and hang on. Get with the complementary football process and start executing. Clap clap, slogan catchphrase, blame others. The McD way

Edited by Turk71

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

No because they sucked in games he was available and sucked last season in games he played in.  This team does not have enough elite talent,  outside Allen/Diggs there are no positions that have elite players at and Beane has made a freaking mess with overpaying fringe players. Poyer/Hyde are mediocre talented safeties both making great money.  As for Knox,  his cap number in 2024 will be 14 mllion,  that is stupid cap management.

I said before the season that I was worried about this team because they struggled almost all last season and Beane did next to nothing adding new play makers.  

We were 14-4 last year, if that's not elite in yhe NFL , idk what is

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

We were 14-4 last year, if that's not elite in yhe NFL , idk what is

How did they do in the playoffs at home against Cincy who were missing 3 starting Lineman? They got crushed and then used Hamlin situation as an excuse,  the division was not as strong and we had a fairly easy schedule.  I just love fans that live in the past,  Knox is not worth 7 mllion a season let alone 14 mllion

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Knox injured his wrist against the Jags.  He played 2 more games before going on IR, but admitted he was basically a shell of himself.  3 games since.

The entire offseason this offense practiced 12 personnel as our primary offense and it sure looked good weeks 2-4.

I keep going back to a podcast by Joe Marino of Locked On Bills sometime over the last few months (can't remember when) about the common misconception about 11 vs. 12 personnel.  It boils down to the fact that teams are actually much more successful passing the ball from 12 and much more successful running from 11.  Maybe someone can remember the episode and post it, but it made perfect sense even though it's the opposite of many would think.

So with Knox out at least 1 (?) more game, is he really the cog the offense is missing?  He's also Josh Allen's BFF... might be another component.  

Was Knox the MVP all along? 

I thought he was being underutilized for two years now but he was basically ineffective while hurt.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MPL said:

I think the actual Bills never made it to England...

Their plane crashed on a mysterious island inhabited by a smoke monster and a group of scientists trying to uncover the island's secrets. No one knows where they are. You might even say they are LOST. Josh Allen is undoubtedly involved in a love triangle with Stefon Diggs and Evangeline Lilly. The NFL, trying to cover everything up, has found doppelgangers for everyone on the team, and while they resemble the actual Bills players and coaches, they're actually very bad at football. 

Dorsey's doppelganger was killed fired for threatening to reveal the coverup. 

Oh, except Gabe Davis somehow made it back and is still just bad at catching footballs. 

I was thinking those Space Jam monsters were playing football and stole the Bills Offense

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I hope he isn’t too important… because they will be moving on from him at the end of next year ..

Because he showed a significant decline in productivity under Dorsey?

If that is the case, say goodbye to Murray, Shefiield, Harty, Harris, Davis, Hines....

There is no way to tell what we had on this team, as they were the worst in the league at so many vital things under Dorsey.

Now, if Brady comes through, and McD, then we may get a better indication.

So many players have played significantly under their potential with the most incompetent OC in the league.

Just now, Mister Defense said:

Because he showed a significant decline in productivity under Dorsey?

If that is the case, say goodbye to Murray, Shefiield, Harty, Harris, Davis, Hines....

There is no way to tell what we had on this team, as they were the worst in the league at so many vital things under Dorsey.

Now, if Brady comes through, and McD, then we may get a better indication.

So many players have played significantly under their potential with the most incompetent OC in the league.

Yep… say goodbye to all them too…

But the main reason to move on from Knox when you can…. Because he gets paid too much money,,,

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Yep… say goodbye to all them too…

But the main reason to move on from Knox when you can…. Because he gets paid too much money,,,

That would mean the Bills brass are complete idiots.

I don't believe that is so.

They know perfectly well that things cannot be evaluated to this point because of Dorsey's gross, across the board incompetence.

That would mean the Bills brass are complete idiots.

I don't believe that is so.

They know perfectly well that things cannot be evaluated to this point because of Dorsey's gross, across the board incompetence.

Dorsey has got nothing to do in respect of whether Knox’s deal provides value for money moving forward … Im guessing Beane would like to have that one back now 

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Dorsey has got nothing to do in respect of whether Knox’s deal provides value for money moving forward … Im guessing Beane would like to have that one back now 

I really disagree with the Dorsey role, if that is what you are saying.

I think they are smart enough to know that they cannot evaluate their players effectively under Dorsey's shockingly inept offense.

I believe players like Knox, their new receivers, Harris, Murray, and Davis, will be given the opportunities they  need to show what that they may have great ability and can make significant contributions this year.

Late in the game, but some will now shine.

I really disagree with the Dorsey role, if that is what you are saying.

I think they are smart enough to know that they cannot evaluate their players effectively under Dorsey's shockingly inept offense.

I believe players like Knox, their new receivers, Harris, Murray, and Davis, will be given the opportunities they  need to show what that they may have great ability and can make significant contributions this year.

Late in the game, but some will now shine.

Look … I’ll say it one more time just to make sure you understand my point…

I’’m going to address Knox only given my original post you responded too,,,he simply gets paid too much money… particularly now with Kincaid here …and Dorsey leaving isn’t going to change that…

Given their other cap issues, they will look to move on from him as soon as they can…which won’t be next season unfortunately given his deal…

If you think differently… all good… you are entitled to your opinion…

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey was and is all about 12-personnel, all the way back to his days as QB at The U. When Knox got hurt vs. Jags, 12 went to hell and it's been that way ever since. Dorsey did not adapt well to losing Knox and reverting to 11-personnel. It wasn't his forte and he was predictable. Now we have Joe Brady who is all about 10 and 11-personnel. Wonder if Knox will see the bench more when he returns...

I covered this over a week ago...

Edited by theRalph
clarity
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Look … I’ll say it one more time just to make sure you understand my point…

I’’m going to address Knox only given my original post you responded too,,,he simply gets paid too much money… particularly now with Kincaid here …and Dorsey leaving isn’t going to change that…

Given their other cap issues, they will look to move on from him as soon as they can…which won’t be next season unfortunately given his deal…

If you think differently… all good… you are entitled to your opinion…

I really disliked his contract too, thought he was paid way too much--and that he could have been signed for much less, deserved less.

But two high end tight ends like Knox and Kincaid, and an OC who knows how to use them, can be a dynamic duo for Allen and this offense..

Under Daboll Knox was becoming one of the top tight ends in the league.  The Bills cannot get rid of players like that now.

Knox is important, but, he isn’t at Kincaids level as a pass catching TE, is what it is.

GO BILLS!!!

On 11/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, Don Otreply said:

Knox is important, but, he isn’t at Kincaids level as a pass catching TE, is what it is.

GO BILLS!!!

A friend of mine insists that Kincaid in not really a tight end since he “never” blocks, he’s simply a pass catcher, a very good one at that, but an extra wide receiver on the field.

So my question, does Kincaid block and is there a stat for that? I say he does block on running plays for sure and i want to prove it.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

A friend of mine insists that Kincaid in not really a tight end since he “never” blocks, he’s simply a pass catcher, a very good one at that, but an extra wide receiver on the field.

So my question, does Kincaid block and is there a stat for that? I say he does block on running plays for sure and i want to prove it.

Knox Blocks a lot, Kincaid does as well, but he is a much better receiver, your friend can call it whatever he wants, but it is what it is, 

GO BILLS!!!

On 11/14/2023 at 1:08 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I hope he isn’t too important… because they will be moving on from him at the end of next year ..

This team has alot of bad contracts to get out of and his is one of them. Kincaid will quickly transition to TE1.  Right now Dawson's greatest contribution is helping Spencer not get beat.  I just want to return to the offense of weeks 2-4.  I don't care if it's a mix of 11 or 12 personnel. 

• Like (+1) 1

He is heavily over paid for his talent and level of threat in the passing game, his is an average blocking TE and average catching.  Kincaid is a hybrid TE, not great at blocking yet, but also not 10-12 million a year for a cost. 

Next year Knox will cost us 14 mill a year think about that....That is a great WR pay for some 1B , 2A Talent.

I don't know about Knox.  We were obviously playing better before he was injured, but we ran the ball the other night pretty well and would have won easily if we didn't continually turn the ball over.  It's mostly execution issues that seem to be killing us.  I think the overall lack of focus we've been showing on offense was the biggest reason Dorsey needed to go.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.