No “I quit the Bills” threads on TBD!? I am shocked!

ShakAttack

Usually after games like this, there is at least one major “I am done with the Bills” thread.  Considering we just hit our latest “rock bottom” and also considering the way in which we lost, I was certain we were going to see at least one of those threads, but I didn’t.  

Likely, most of us had already come to the realization this team didn’t have a shot this season, so maybe this factored into our emotional investment gradually diminishing over the past 4-5 weeks, and maybe that is why this one didn’t appear to nauseate our fan base as much as it would have in previous seasons.

In my case, I wasn’t even the least bit excited for this “must win” MNF game, and yet, due to the WAY we ended up losing this one left me with the worst feeling I’ve had all season and I guess I’ll be the first to admit, I found myself wishing I wasn’t a Bills fan in that moment.  

I mean, seriously, 12 men on the field on a game winning field goal attempt?????? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANY OF YOU SAW THAT HAPPEN IN ANY GAME???? Only the Bills…

The team’s rock bottom was also my own rock bottom as a fan this season.  

problem is, I have felt this way at least 100 times over the years, and another realization I’ve come to is that, if you’re a die-hard fan, you can never “stop” being a fan, whether you like it or not.  In my case, if there was a way out, I would have taken it long ago. But there ain’t, so I will continue to hope for “one Super Bowl before I die” like many of you. 

As an out-of-town Bills fan that grew up in the 90s watching the Bills lose 4 straight SBs and then other heartbreaking playoff exits prior to the 17 year drought, being a Bills fan has ALWAYS been about winning a Super Bowl, ONE Super Bowl, lifting the curse after all these years.  And I truly believe that if that day ever came, I would be fulfilled as a Bills fan.    

Anyway, just to clarify, this was not the “I quit being a Bills fan thread” but it definitely is “I wish I was capable of not being a Bills fan”.  So, the best thing I can do is continue to work on not allowing games like this to ruin my day (and sometimes the next day or two).  Best I can do!

• Like (+1) 1

People are probably sick of starting those threads.  It's not like this is the first time this cursed, awful franchise has gone into the toilet.  We all hope for better, but I think we all deep down know that this is our lot in life as Bills fans...eternal misery with teases of success sprinkled in.

Rock bottom?  Geez i wish.  it's going to get so much worse.   They'll lose (badly) to the Jets next week, we'll hear about the cracks in the locker room.  We'll get crushed by KC and the Eagles, and the players will be openly running for the bus.  I'd love to think the roster will look a lot different next year but i bet it wont!  Can't wait for the draft next year, we need 4 or 5 more high motor DL  and some defensive backfield players that get game defining penalties

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am numb to this team. Looks like the drought teams. I have learned over the years not to get so mentally and emotionally invested into entertainment. Including Bills football. 

this is it.

i quit on this team after the jets loss. it was clear by that point we were not a contender. i haven't reversed or had a stint of any judgement change.

i'm numb at this point and can't put a vested interest in it. i'd rather we work on fundamentals, work young guys, let vets build trade value so that next year we can retool.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am numb to this team. Looks like the drought teams. I have learned over the years not to get so mentally and emotionally invested into entertainment. Including Bills football. 

That freaking London game is what made me numb for the year. It made me realize we're not a SB team anymore and emotionally checked out. 

It was a fun run while it lasted but we need some pretty major roster overhauls moving forward 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Why? No one is going to be held accountable. This is the same fanbase that was okay with no answers about 13 seconds and that swallowed the emotional exhaustion excuse last year. Par for the course.

I think Terry has to. New stadium is not far off. Raised ticket prices, PSL fees. If the Bills do what the Jets/Giants did then they are going to ask fans for a deposit on the PSL fees and will do it in 2024 or 2025 to lock them into their seats when the stadium opens in 2026. It will be a lot easier to ask for that if the team is on the upswing. With McDermott that is clearly not going to be the case. Beane might not be safe either.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I wish I was numb to this team. I don't like Pain. This sounds cliche but Im just getting too old for this chit. I'll always be a fan but   Feel a  tad hopeless as far as the team right now to be honest

smh

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

I wish I was numb to this team. I don't like Pain. This sounds cliche but Im just getting too old for this chit. I'll always be a fan but   Feel a  tad hopeless as far as the team right now to be honest

smh

Always a Fan. And to be honest the Hubris of the NFL and ignoring their product (officials et al) has made the transition to decouple much easier. 

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I refuse to quit on the Bills. Besides, my new team the Lions are doing well so I'm in a great mood

Agree. I have been low key entertained watching the Lions. Such a fun team to watch. 

25 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Why? No one is going to be held accountable. This is the same fanbase that was okay with no answers about 13 seconds and that swallowed the emotional exhaustion excuse last year. Par for the course.

Its not as if anything that a fan feels or says has any impact on anything concerning the teams organization, no fan is swallowing anything, we are all on the outside looking in, you included. 

GO BILLS!!!

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s a new thing call quiet quitting 

Maybe we need to see some quiet firing… 😂

There are issues from the ownership group down. 

that is the reality. While I am trying not to hammer Terry too much with everything he has going on with Kim and well PSE turning into a brothel

starts there and that chose has bled down into both his teams. 

There's no quit from me.

This year's Bills do share some of the qualities of the drought teams:

-  unreliable offense

- some great defensive performances wasted by said offense as the defense is eventually too tired to make a critical stop

- being "un-clutch" and knowing as a Bills fan that the team will dig deep, and find a way to lose games they could easily win

- questionable coaching

The difference being we supposedly have so much star power compared to the drought. But like the drought, we seem so unprepared and wilt in pressure situations. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I said last night in the GDT that if the Bills trot out the same coaching staff next week, I'm not watching.  I'm not "done with the Bills", I'm just going to watch the ticker and grumble under my breath like I did during the Jauron/Trent Edwards/Rex Ryan years.

I've got two year old twins that need my time and I'm done wasting it on this iteration of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, muppy said:

@MAJBobby

your reply gave me pause. Conscious uncoupling as in divorce myself from football. Copy.

TCK. It's a nice theory.

I still watch them. But I made a conscious decision near the end of the drought to stop allowing something I am supposed to be doing for fun make me feel so miserable. 

took about two full years to get there. But I am there now. The NFL Hubris in failing to address their yearly bad product like officials helped speed that along a bit as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll never quit on the Bills but I have quit on this regime.

It's in the best interest of the team to reset the coaching and leadership and I'll take a losing record this year to do it. If some people say that's not being a fan, f*** 'em, I'm thinking about the best long-term interests of the Bills and Josh Allen, an elite QB now halfway through his best years with nothing to show for it.

• Like (+1) 1

In the vein of the "bad relationship analogy"...

Billy lost his job and is on the sauce again...it's going to be a rough couple months...but, we'll get through it.  I'm Irish Catholic, a divorce isn't in the books but some drunk fight nights are certainly ahead...

I will say, it IS getting harder to waste 3-4 hours of my time watching pitiful football,

only to have the rug pulled out from under your feet EVERY week with another unbelievable way to lose a game.

They really didn't deserve to win...but, we obviously would've taken it.

I won't "quit the Bills"...but, they are so underperforming (mostly offense, obviously)!!

If you expected this trainwreck (obviously I did) than it eases the blow so to speak.

Yes it sucks and disappointing that the season is all but over before the holidays like the drought years, but there is so much more to life than being invested so heavily in a ***** football team and letting crippling anxiety dictate your daily life.

And I encourage everyone else to let it go and enjoy the rest of the meaningless string of games. Trust me it will do wonders for your mental and emotional well being.

1 - Those are generally LAMP threads and the OP then proceeds to get roasted for 2-3 pages depending on the level of cringe in the post because hurt people hurt people. 

2 - I think a lot of folks just stop watching football altogether when we suck. I don't think I could look at myself in the mirror if I switched loyalties, that's what Massholes do.

43 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If you expected this trainwreck (obviously I did) than it eases the blow so to speak.

Yes it sucks and disappointing that the season is all but over before the holidays like the drought years, but there is so much more to life than being invested so heavily in a ***** football team and letting crippling anxiety dictate your daily life.

And I encourage everyone else to let it go and enjoy the rest of the meaningless string of games. Trust me it will do wonders for your mental and emotional well being.

The fact we lost in itself did not surprise me. It’s how we lost at the very end, more than anything else. In one moment, the most important moment of the entire game, we witness The ultimate representation of coaching failures we have endured for way too long.  Proof that where other teams GROW from these experiences, we do not.  Defending Hail Marys are the perfect example there.  

I knew the Bills were not very good this season, and I knew losing was a real possibility, as I said, but it’s when you lose by doing sh*t that NO OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL does… that’s when it’s unbearable for me. Wish I could be numb like a few of our other fans….. truly. 

As ugly as last night was, as bad as the team looked, I am still a die hard Bills fan and I still care a lot (unfortunately), so for a very brief moment, even more brief than “13 seconds”, I believed we won the game and I was literally jumping for joy……… but of course it ended up being too good to be true. 

I won’t quit, but for the first time in 20 years I left with 6 minutes left in the 3rd.  I can live with winning and losing but I can’t live with boring, and I find the current Bills boring.

it was a relief to be half way home when the Bills blew it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.