So, Diggs saw this coming, no?

TheBrownBear

Diggs is always crying about something though. He cried in Minnesota when they almost went to the SB. He acts like he’s the only who cares. 

id also argue that he bullied Allen and Dorsey to feed him the ball to the point where Allen struggles to find other guys. Diggs is a great receiver. I struggle to call him a great leader. He’s the guy who wants to leave the second it gets tough.

again, great player and he makes this offense way better. But I’d love to see what we could get for him this offense. The. Just load up young high draft pick receivers (much cheaper, less whiny) and have them grow with Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Diggs is always crying about something though. He cried in Minnesota when they almost went to the SB. He acts like he’s the only who cares. 

id also argue that he bullied Allen and Dorsey to feed him the ball to the point where Allen struggles to find other guys. Diggs is a great receiver. I struggle to call him a great leader. He’s the guy who wants to leave the second it gets tough.

again, great player and he makes this offense way better. But I’d love to see what we could get for him this offense. The. Just load up young high draft pick receivers (much cheaper, less whiny) and have them grow with Allen.  

Couldnt agree more.  Being a great leader is deciding what reaction/action is necessary for a given situation.   He doesnt have that ability.  He only runs hot, and often times that is the exact wrong reaction, often times based on selfish reasoning.   He is a great talent, but he is also an emotionally immature guy.   I would have no problem with the Bills moving on from him in the offseason.   I dont think his attitude or his brother's idiotic inability to keep the situation off twitter is helpful to the team at all.

That said, if they ship him off they have to get a wideout back in the deal.    Would love to see him in a Bears uniform next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Let’s see what happens after 2-3 more losses. 

Im not against Diggs but I definitely wouldn’t be shocked if we see and hear “un-captain” like behavior.

But I do believe McDermotts days should be numbered. Think about it, he has no DC and now his OC is Joe Brady. McD has had his chance and it’s time for a fresh start. How players react in the next couple months May also help that, Cause at this point I think Diggs is more important to the team over McDermott. Cause McD is failing, especially if this team finishing sub .500 at 8-9. 9-8 ain’t much better, that where this team is headed.

“Un-captain like behavior?” 

The guy is the only one that still seems to have some fire in him, he didn’t like the way this team was rolling since last year and he’s been completely proven right. He’s been quiet as a mouse while all this has been going down, and he would be completely right to speak up. 

IF he speaks up and starts ruffling feathers, I’d 100% back it. The guy wants to win and be competitive, that sentiment doesn’t seem to be shared by this team. 

I completely expect that he’s going to try and find a way off this team, and I wouldnt hold it against him. In fact, I think we should do it. He’s the only one on this team outside of Allen that would still command a return, and given how this team has been functioning with a bonafide #1 receiver it doesn’t seem to matter. 

Imo, this teams needs a re-tooling and Diggs won’t be the same guy he is now by the time we’re ready to compete again. Get what you can now for the future. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is a great talent, but he is also an emotionally immature guy.   I would have no problem with the Bills moving on from him in the offseason.   I dont think his attitude or his brother's idiotic inability to keep the situation off twitter is helpful to the team at all.

That said, if they ship him off they have to get a wideout back in the deal.    Would love to see him in a Bears uniform next year.

You mistake immaturity for passion and determination... the COACHING STAFF isn't helpful to the team at all, and Stefon has exhausted his options at this point to affect change. What else is he going to do, continue to sit there in team meetings and on the sideline with an "it is what it is" attitude like many of the other players?!?!?! He's a warrior and has the passion and desire to be better, do more, WIN... 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I want you to keep this energy up when Gabe Davis is your #1 WR. 

Good God of course that's how it's going to happen, isn't it?  Dude must have pictures of someone

What would restore some faith in Beane would be taking a WR high, someone with speed.  I should hold my breath on that right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

Good God of course that's how it's going to happen, isn't it?  Dude must have pictures of someone

What would restore some faith in Beane would be taking a WR high, someone with speed.  I should hold my breath on that right?

You would think this is the most obvious need on this team. 

Sure the Bills don't have much at DT, we all know the contracts expire after this year, and of course we'll need Safeties, you can always use a corner, etc.  

But Josh Allen is the franchise, and our serious investment at WR ended 3 years ago. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You would think this is the most obvious need on this team. 

Sure the Bills don't have much at DT, we all know the contracts expire after this year, and of course we'll need Safeties, you can always use a corner, etc.  

But Josh Allen is the franchise, and our serious investment at WR ended 3 years ago. 

All I want to see is WR and OL.  Grab some DL off the scrap heap for all we're getting out of what we have

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

In my mind it's going to take walking away from McDermott.  It's Beane's job to scout the players, but McDermott is the one shouting in his ear on what the team "needs".  

McDermott has always prioritized defense to a zealous degree. If we spent a chunk of those high picks on offensive talent we probably would have a ring right now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

In my mind it's going to take walking away from McDermott.  It's Beane's job to scout the players, but McDermott is the one shouting in his ear on what the team "needs".  

McDermott has always prioritized defense to a zealous degree. If we spent a chunk of those high picks on offensive talent we probably would have a ring right now. 

Absolutely.

Any wonder the Bills invest in a 1st Round TE, and 6 games into his career he passes all the WRs, on the roster except Diggs? 

And now we can’t imagine a game where he doesn’t catch 5-6 balls? 

TALENT, not picking up Saints 4th WRs and journeyman and hoping 4th and 5th Rounders become good players. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm wondering if McDuh is reading the tea leaves here that his pet obsession with high motor undersized DL isn't going to fly any more.  He doesn't strike me as a situationally aware guy in this sense.  As they say about Communism, McD's philosophy cannot fail; it can only be failed

42 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You mistake immaturity for passion and determination... the COACHING STAFF isn't helpful to the team at all, and Stefon has exhausted his options at this point to affect change. What else is he going to do, continue to sit there in team meetings and on the sideline with an "it is what it is" attitude like many of the other players?!?!?! He's a warrior and has the passion and desire to be better, do more, WIN... 

I’m not thrived with the staff right now but kinda BS to give them no credit. Diggs has had the best seasons of his career here. Allen wasn’t 1st or 2nd team mountain west. Hyde and Poyer weren’t full time starters. Bernard, Milano, etc. plenty of guys have benefited from being in Buffalo. 

leasership isn’t whiny or throwing tantrums when things don’t go right (or having your annoying brother do it). It’s picking up your guy when times are tough. Or being happy with a win even though you had 2 catches. This is why it is really hard for receivers to be leaders of teams. Teams can win games and they won’t always get their numbers (which hurts their bottom line). 

I love Diggs as a player but there are so many better ways to lead than he does. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

Is that why when others get the ball he kind of just stands around....  Especially on pass plays, even those close to him.

Edit: both him and Davis do it and it is annoying seeing it happen consistently

If you think Diggs is even remotely close to “the problem” then I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. 

“Un-captain like behavior?”

See Gabe Davis!! 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I do agree that little bro bro running his mouth is bad look. IMO the Diggs stuff was over blown, but he could have simply sent 1 Tweet that would have stopped a whole offseason of speculation. 

Lil Diggs is publicly running his mouth, if Big Diggs wants to stay here hope he nips it. We will see. 

Lil Diggs bashing Allen publicly isn’t a good look. 

Lil Diggs should be worrying about Lil Dak🤷

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The dead cap on a Diggs trade after June 1st next off-season is $8.8M. Yes, a good chunk of change but it's completely feasible depending on the return of compensation. It would also clear $19M off the cap assuming any team that traded for him didn't have the Bills eat some of that.

Problem is I don't think at his age teams will be willing to give fair compensation for him. MAYBE Dallas is willing to move a 1st for him thinking he's the final piece of the puzzle. 

While I believe Diggs wants to win and win here in Buffalo with this team, it's fair to wonder if he doesn't try and force his way out of McDermott is brought back. You could also end up with a new coaching staff that is wanting to move on from him and start fresh at the position. A lot of things possibly in play between now and week 1 next year. 

In the end I'm hoping we have a new HC, Diggs is optimistic and happy about the chance to win here and it's business as usual next season for Diggs in Buffalo.

Not that you are doing this, but people talk about dead cap without relating it to the cap hit with the player on the roster. 

Pre-June 1 Trade: The team does have to eat $31M in dead cap yes. But Diggs is would cost $28M to have on the roster. So it isn't a net $30M dead cap hit, the Bills only lose $3M. There is one positive to a pre-June 1 cut and that is that Diggs is off of the books entirely for 2025. 

Post-June 1 Trade: The Bills gain $19M for the 2024 season. Huge positive, especially given our cap situation for 2024. On the other hand we have $22M in dead Diggs money for 2025. Which would stink, but it is nearly identical if he were on the roster. So the net change is $0 for 2025. 

One point of contention to the bolded. This one is just me being a bit pedantic so I apologize. But the NFL isn't like the NHL, teams cannot barter cap dollars because contracts are not guaranteed. Diggs would have to sign a new deal. And frankly I see no need to. I think his contract is friendly enough for a trade. Once Buffalo eats his bonus money, Diggs becomes super easy to move on from whenever the trading team see's fit. 

3 hours ago, Chugga said:

It is wild to me reading some of these comments.  “This isn’t an issue”.  Your #1 top WR has a brother who plays in the league full blown ******** on his team then doubles down a day later and ***** on his quarterback and people are like “he has passion, nothing to see here - that’s just his dumb brother”.

I love Stef, my favorite Bill but come on.  Where were all the people telling Pat to get Jackson off the sidelines and Brittney to shut the hell up.  “Control your family”.  And all that family ever did was do look at me behavior and cheerlead for their brother or husband.

It is crazy to me that people see absolutely nothing wrong with this.  I just wonder how everyone’s reactions would be to this stuff if he didn’t have an untradeable contract.  Would you feel a different type of way maybe?

See above. Diggs isn't untradeable next season. Depending on the date of trade Diggs will either save this team $19M or cost the team an additional $3M for the season. 

Any team that acquires Diggs in 2024 has a $19M cap hit for that season. That is 14th highest cap hit in that league year among WR. That is very good value. And because Buffalo has restructured Diggs about as far as they can, they own all the bonus money (which is what dead cap is), any team that makes that trade will save money if they cut/trade him in 2025 or beyond. 

(Just a disclaimer, I am not advocating we trade him. Just pointing out it is totally manageable)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

Edited by Mango
Link
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs is only a problem to talking heads and call-in radio listeners.  His brother tweeting is a distraction.. but that's not a reflection of what #14 brings to the table.

He works hard at is craft - harder than anyone on the roster from what I've seen.  

He wants to win.
He produces and doesn't disappear from games.

In the moments after the Hamlin collapse - he was the lone member trying to regroup and get ready.  He gets labeled as a "Diva"  because of the position he plays.  If he was a QB, we'd say he's a firey leader.

Edited by DasNootz

52 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If you think Diggs is even remotely close to “the problem” then I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. 

Not saying he is the problem but its not all on Allen either.  Taking plays off when you don't get the ball to me is selfish.  

35 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Agreed, he's not the problem but IMO he is a problem.

In what way is he a problem?

4 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Not saying he is the problem but its not all on Allen either.  Taking plays off when you don't get the ball to me is selfish.  

What plays did he take off? I’d be interested to see any replays if you can provide them.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Couldnt agree more.  Being a great leader is deciding what reaction/action is necessary for a given situation.   He doesnt have that ability.  He only runs hot, and often times that is the exact wrong reaction, often times based on selfish reasoning.   He is a great talent, but he is also an emotionally immature guy.   I would have no problem with the Bills moving on from him in the offseason.   I dont think his attitude or his brother's idiotic inability to keep the situation off twitter is helpful to the team at all.

I  think cap considerations kill any trade unless he redoes his contract first.  I could be wrong.  But if we could get a Bears 1st, plus a WR, and draft Harrison Jr. that'd work for me.  Then turn cap savings into a FA safety, extending Floyd, etc.  (I know we need OL help, but that's gen too expensive in FA.  I'd draft a C/G later in the first.) 

12 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Destroy a great QB?

It was exactly two weeks ago Allen was:

#1 in TD's

#1 in Completion %

#1 in QBR

#1 ranked PFF QB

Tied #1 in Interceptions

In other words, just two weeks ago he was having a career year with the typical high turnovers we see out of him. I don't think Allen has been destroyed at all. Even with this current two game slide since those #1 rankings I imagine Allen ranks pretty high still.  But that is not to say McDermott hasn't lost the locker room and have other issues. 

"Destroy" might be overstated. What I mean is no longer being maximized and certainly not improving. All of the talent in the world and he's getting worse.

We can talk about statistics all we want, but the offense hasn't been producing with a quarterback that is proven to be elite. I'm not absolving Josh Allen of any blame, it just seems like basic fact that the current coaching staff has not produced an offense that is as effective as it used to be ... the offense is led by the quarterback. The quarterback is no longer performing at the elite level he was previously known for. Thus, the coaching staff is mismanaging ("destroying") our best asset.

10 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

What plays did he take off? I’d be interested to see any replays if you can provide them.

This was just from the Bills vs Broncos Highlights.  Easy to watch and see.

Watch the first three plays of the Bills offense, Each time after someone else has the ball he stands around.  Each time.  Even the run block he half asses it cause it went the other way. no trying to sell it, nothing. Just eh here I put my arms on you.  "Good Enough".

Interception through Davis hands, even Dion ran over, no Diggs in site.  

That shows to me he is playing selfishly.

And another one

Edited by CaliBills

12 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Throughout the summer discontent with Josh rumbled on. Josh addresses it; Diggs decided to let it continue. He soon slaps down someone when she mishears something in Twitter. His brother mouths off against the franchise and his QB - any rebuttal? Any support for the Bills or the QB to counter it? Or is it just being allowed to brew further.

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

exactly 

and he doubled down on the initial tweet. 

Like I said, it's all speculation but when there's smoke usually there's fire

He also tweeted on Tuesday.  Just saying. Hopefully it's b.s and Allen has a huge chip on his shoulder and dominates vs Dal

My only point is that his brothers text have not at all been representative of Stefons thoughts thus far, he has been wrong every time and just tweeting what he wants, not what Stefon wants.  So to jump to a conclusion that his tweets (which happeend before Stef could have even spoken to him as Stef was still with the team on Monday night football) were Stefs words has no logic behind it other than creating a narrative without any substance.  

26 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Watch the first three plays of the Bills offense, Each time after someone else has the ball he stands around.  Each time.  Even the run block he half asses it cause it went the other way. no trying to sell it, nothing. Just eh here I put my arms on you.  "Good Enough".

And another one

OK I did.

First play he blocks his man for 2-3 seconds while Cook fumbles on the other side of the field.

Second play yes he does not try to go to Davis who is on the other side of the field (albeit not as far as Cook was on the first play) and about to go down with 3-4 Broncos around him; Diggs’ DB was not involved in tackling Davis.

Third play he stops blocking when again on the other side of the field it is clear that Murray cut it outside and away from Diggs whose DB again ends up nowhere near the play.

It is common for WRs/DBs who are nowhere near the ballcarrier to half-heartedly block each other.

Diggs is not the problem.

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

OK I did.

First play he blocks his man for 2-3 seconds while Cook fumbles on the other side of the field.

Second play yes he does not try to go to Davis who is on the other side of the field (albeit not as far as Cook was on the first play) and about to go down with 3-4 Broncos around him; Diggs’ DB was not involved in tackling Davis.

Third play he stops blocking when again on the other side of the field it is clear that Murray cut it outside and away from Diggs whose DB again ends up nowhere near the play.

It is common for WRs/DBs who are nowhere near the ballcarrier to half-heartedly block each other.

Diggs is not the problem.

Guess playing until the end of the whistle means nothing to him. Again playing selfishly.   But anyone with Rose colored glasses will make excuses.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CaliBills said:

Guess playing until the end of the whistle means nothing to him. Again playing selfishly.   But anyone with Rose colored glasses will make excuses.  

Playing until the end of the whistle on the OPPOSITE side of the field... I guess anyone looking to make a tempest out of a teapot will say anything to try and be right.

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Playing until the end of the whistle on the OPPOSITE side of the field... I guess anyone looking to make a tempest out of a teapot will say anything to try and be right.

Ok let me rephrase, not going hard when the ball isnt going to you or going away from you.....  which I provided multiple examples.  Keep watching any game since the Offense has been garbage.  

Anyways, proof is in the pudding.

3 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Ok let me rephrase, not going hard when the ball isnt going to you or going away from you.....  which I provided multiple examples.  Keep watching any game since the Offense has been garbage.  

Anyways, proof is in the pudding.

We're not talking about Josh scrambling to find a target or same side blocking to spring a player or a decoy route, we're talking about MEANINGLESS BLOCKS far away from the play. ANYONE can take all of the interceptions that Josh has thrown and make the case that he is a terrible QB with NO CONTEXT, ignoring all of the elements present in each INT throw. You're reaching with this premise...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

9 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

If you think Diggs’ blocking when he is across the field from the ball carrier is anywhere close to a problem for the Bills offense then I do not know what to do for you bud.

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If you think Diggs’ blocking when he is across the field from the ball carrier is anywhere close to a problem for the Bills offense then I do not know what to do for you bud.

cool. but ok.  I watch and think to myself, why is he standing around.  so it is what it is.

Time to do other things. good talk

1 hour ago, vanislebills44 said:

any1 who wants diggs gone without a viable replacement is nuts....

unless we luck out n draft a justin jefferson in the deal this is absurd...

if he wants out then do what ya can to placate him, as you dont want a cancer in the room

stats are facts, look at what him and allen have done together, to mess with that just for 'something to do' would b counter productive

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

And another one

I thought I was the only 1 that noticed this, weekly, even on the fumble I was actually surprised to see Diggs hit the ground because his low effort/energy when not involved.  That's just pathetic effort on the int

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I honestly don't get why this is so hard for people to understand. If Stef was "bothered" by it, those tweets would be gone. When Maddy Glab had that off mic comment about Stefon circling on social media, Stef had no problem taking to social media to defend himself. Maybe others weren't paying attention, but I saw the "likes" of shade being thrown at Josh on his Twitter. He went back and unliked them, but it was a thing that happened. Josh flat out admitted that he and Stef had a quarrel in the off season, but that they were over it. Obviously, we are back to square one. What it boils down to is if Stefons brother can comfortably tweet unflattering stuff about JA, there is a reason he is so "comfortable" in doing so. 

There is a saying, when people show you who they are, believe them. 

I used to defend Diggs all the time, but can't anymore. He's still a great player, and sometimes even person, but he is extremely volatile and hot headed. Can turn on you in a dime. It is what it is with him. Obviously, he is still our best weapon, by a longshot.

That's an excellent point dude. Ya I have Diggs as my profile picture, he's awesome but over 9 months , with multiple sketchy situations, I'm finding it harder to just write it off as no big deal. That Maddy Glab situation is a great example and his silence speaks loud considering the whole team and nfl community is aware of the tweets. He could have just responded to the tweet with an eyeroll emoji or something 

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I do agree that little bro bro running his mouth is bad look. IMO the Diggs stuff was over blown, but he could have simply sent 1 Tweet that would have stopped a whole offseason of speculation. 

Lil Diggs is publicly running his mouth, if Big Diggs wants to stay here hope he nips it. We will see. 

Lil Diggs bashing Allen publicly isn’t a good look. 

Exactly.  And even if he addressed the team, why not simply send 1 tweet to stop the media from giving it more attention.  It's almost becoming eerily similar to Vikings situation. 

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Throughout the summer discontent with Josh rumbled on. Josh addresses it; Diggs decided to let it continue. He soon slaps down someone when she mishears something in Twitter. His brother mouths off against the franchise and his QB - any rebuttal? Any support for the Bills or the QB to counter it? Or is it just being allowed to brew further.

2 options:

1 - Talk to my brother... tell him to knock it off etc.  

2 - Post something on social media and really give this non-story some legs...

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

That's an excellent point dude. Ya I have Diggs as my profile picture, he's awesome but over 9 months , with multiple sketchy situations, I'm finding it harder to just write it off as no big deal. That Maddy Glab situation is a great example and his silence speaks loud considering the whole team and nfl community is aware of the tweets. He could have just responded to the tweet with an eyeroll emoji or something 

Exactly.  And even if he addressed the team, why not simply send 1 tweet to stop the media from giving it more attention.  It's almost becoming eerily similar to Vikings situation. 

That was more about usage and money.  He got paid here, and he gets the most targets in the league.  So what does he want? 

I'll tell ya this - they aren't trading him to the cowboys, and they aren't cutting him.  Is he going to be happy when all this gets him traded to the giants or packers?  

26 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Doing nothing will also make this fizzle out.  There's no football for 2 days, were the last team that played.  There's a pretty big game tonight, so i think it'll die out naturally.  

Sometimes PR will dictate a response, other times you can just address it behind the scenes and let it go.  

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

2 options:

1 - Talk to my brother... tell him to knock it off etc.  

2 - Post something on social media and really give this non-story some legs...

That was more about usage and money.  He got paid here, and he gets the most targets in the league.  So what does he want? 

I'll tell ya this - they aren't trading him to the cowboys, and they aren't cutting him.  Is he going to be happy when all this gets him traded to the giants or packers?  

He doesn't even have to directly address his brother's tweets. Just come out with a standard pro-Buffalo/Allen tweet. But getting Trevon to remove those posts would probably be simpler.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.