Tim Graham for The Athletic: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

QCity

5 hours ago, dorquemada said:

They're not a cohesive team any more.  Some of them probably get along, but there's nobody in charge.  It's like when GgReGggGgG tried the tough guy act and lost the locker room right away

It seems that way.  During games there's definitely a lack of leadership, seemingly both on the field as well as on the sidelines.  Not sure how that's attributable to anything but coaching to reinforce your point.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The offense has lost it's high octane big play ability.  

This offense is bereft of any identity.   At the beginning of the season someone posted a thread about what to name the O as a nickname.  How about the Identity Crisis Offense.  

It has no methodology, no particular style of play.  No systematic approach.  Nothing.  The proof in the pudding there is if we ask what the offense, for example, is based on.  The answer is essentially how hot Allen is and whether or not he can overcome key play-calling at certain times that render some seriously questionable calls.  That's not a methodology, it's nonsense.   Or at key times what the thinking is behind some of McD's challenges and decisions that buck conventional wisdom.  Just two examples.  Defensively it's whether or not we get TOs.  

It's shoot-from-the-hip every game now.  

Worse yet, like last week, the come out and score easily on the first drive.  McD's questioned as to why they didn't continue to do that, and the answer is that they wanted to try different styles of play.  I mean honestly, it's like he got stoned before that presser.  

Time for a new head coach.  Period!   Time to find one that actually sticks with what's working, not using a game to do what should be done in practice, camp or preseason.  Not to mention one that can have the offense regularly string together a bunch of 8+ play drives, scoring or not, and moving the ball with regularity.  It shouldn't be very difficult at all with a QB like Allen.  But that coach has to know what they're doing.  

I mean honestly, between idiocy like that and candidly stating that you have no idea what's wrong, when that is a monumental clue, and stating that you don't know what or how to correct it, ... I mean really!  

If that doesn't say CEILING, not quite sure what does.  It sure as hell doesn't shout out competence.   If he doesn't know he doesn't know.  Find someone that can figure it out and put it together.  

Instead, we have a contingent here that keeps supporting this nonsense under the notion that one of these years he'll figure it out.  When, once Allen's gone?  Yeah, that's an odds-on proposition.  LOL  It doesn't seem so given his own statements.  What seems evident is that if someone in a high position at a company told their boss that they didn't know what to do or how to do it, they'd either be reassigned, fired, or asked to resign.  But here, we simply pat the vacuous leader on the back and say better luck next season, eventually you'll come around.  Let's hope you don't hand another playoff game to the opponent in the remaining seconds.  Except now we can't even get to that point. 

How is it even possible to effectively sugarcoat the situation.  It's poor.  It's stunning that McD hasn't lost the team yet.  And make no mistake, Dorsey's also in well over his head, but ultimately McD's sticking with him like he stuck with Peterman, despite not one of his own coaches, or OCs agreeing with him, and absolutely not a single fan or media person agreeing with him.  Wash/rinse/repeat now with Dorsey.  Poor Rick Dennison and Daboll in his first season.  But McD isn't a control-freak.  Sure.  

McD's situation is understandable.  If he actually hires a competent OC there will be fireworks on the sidelines and eventually, if that OC ends up being good, he'd replace McD.  That's why he's standing behind Dorsey.  

Pegula's got a decision to make before STs with PSLs go on sale.  People aren't going to rush to commit to buying them with this nonsense afoot, and with thoughts of the post-Allen era on the horizon when McD can't even have this offense humming along anywhere close to optimally, and in Allen's 6th season.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, PBF81 said:

This offense is bereft of any identity.   At the beginning of the season someone posted a thread about what to name the O as a nickname.  How about the Identity Crisis Offense.  

Let's do this again

The Gang that Couldn't Run Strait

The 3 and out Krew

Allen, Diggs, and the 9 JAG gang

Spencer Brown and his 250 million dollar victim

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't have a subscription unfortunately

When does the author claim the Bills last looked like they were having fun?

I don’t either but personally I think it seemed not “as fun” halfway through last year. And I really get last year and a bit with the injuries this year. But the offense used to be so explosive. It’s a grind now.

20 hours ago, MJS said:

No, not even close. They struggle through games too. Mahomes looks angry and frustrated out there all the time. Kelce looks pissed and tired most of the time.

Too much nookie = cranky.

Also, your gf making more than you is damaging to most guys egos.

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills haven’t been having fun since Hamlin went down and I will always blame the coach for that. He really needs to get his head out of his arse! Football is supposed to be fun. It’s obviously not, right now, at OBD. 

I've been thinking something similar. I wonder if they are having a hangover/flashbacks to last year.

Tre goes down. Oooof Tre, one of the most likable guys and after working so hard for two years to get back. Then the London game "experiment," and they lose Daquan and Milano (two of their absolutely best defenders). And these are serious injuries...season ending, not we'll have them back in a few weeks. Then Damien Harris is getting taken off the field in an ambulance. Basically in 3 games, they revisited a lot of what they went through all last season. 

Could it be a subconscious feeling of "what's the point" or something has settled into the team a bit? I really think their issues may be more mental and emotional rather than about the Xs and Os. [Obviously, the missing players themselves is also a big reason.]

Tim Graham is correct about them not having fun, but I don't think it has anything to do with trick plays 🙄. With what this team has been through over the last season-and-a-half, I'm sure football just doesn't feel real fun to a lot of them right now.

And I think McDermott's tenure may live or die on whether he can pull them out of this funk.

Edited by folz

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

TG is the biggest, whiners, annoying dork on the planet but he’s 100% right here. Still, I think back to the drought years and try to keep it in perspective. So it’s not that bad! 

but it has definitely been the least fun bills team of the last 5 years. 

Here is perspective, knowing you suck hurts.  Knowing you should be winning superbowls and are wasting a franchise QB's best years...I'd MUCH WORSE.

Aren't we leading the league in penalties?

And injuries. 

These are two key aspects you can put squarely on coaching. Remember the Rusty Jones years. Honestly Rusty Jones should be in the hall of Fame. We had very few injuries in those years. 

And penalties, that's just a no brainier, that's an huge indication of coaching, well coached teams do not lead the league in penalties. 

As an organization we need to take a serious look into, and reevaluate the leadership on this team

On 11/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, QCity said:

Graham: Remember when the Buffalo Bills used to have fun?

Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a primetime bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 primetime record and averaging 18 points.

You can’t fake fun, and Buffalo’s just not having it.

Remember those F-you plays? Showing up the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense right after their “Renegade” hype song? Throwing a touchdown pass to rookie backup tackle Tommy Doyle while already beating the New England Patriots by 30 in the fourth quarter? John Brown and Cole Beasley chucking touchdowns, Josh Allen catching them? Defensive tackle Kyle Williams getting touches? Isaiah McKenzie capering about?

Buffalo used to exude confidence. It was cocksure, defiant, downright giddy in their dominance.

All that’s gone lately.

-------

“A lack of big plays has taken some of the energy out of it,” Davis admitted. 

Chunk plays are fun. So, too, are trick plays.

The Bills don’t do those anymore either.

In the 27 games Ken Dorsey has been offensive coordinator, no one other than a quarterback has attempted a pass, and no one other than a running back, receiver or tight end has caught.

Under Daboll, non-quarterbacks completed six of eight passes for 104 yards and four touchdowns — not counting special teams chicanery. Brown threw two touchdowns, Beasley and McKenzie one apiece.

Non-skill players under Daboll caught six of eight targets for 46 yards and five touchdowns. Left tackle Dion Dawkins has two career TD receptions.

The universe smiles upon fat guy touchdowns.

-------

“Of course, there’s the fun factor of it,” Mitchell Schwartz, the Chiefs’ former All-Pro right tackle, once told The Athletic for a story about the power of unusual plays, “but mentally knowing your coach is going to listen to you, find ways to let you do things you normally don’t get to, not succumb to monotony and make sure guys are having fun and engaged, that mentality goes beyond just a single play here or there.

“It really bleeds down into the overall work environment, and everyone feels more engaged.”

A pretty interesting read for The Athletic subscribers basically summarizing what most of us see - that the offense exudes all the swagger and fun of someone who is about to get audited by the IRS. 

Cover 2  all game'll do that to ya, like it does to all the big play teams.   Defenses don't allow the chunk plays to the Bills any more.   Hell, now defenses are baiting Josh into trying the Gabe Davis - ish 25 yard sideline throw , then drop the LB or Corner  at the last minute and make the pick, as happened in Foxboro and Cincinnati. 

Fans were warned to enjoy it while they could, bc Defenses eventually would take a page out of Lesley Fraziers book and play deep cover 2 all game, pen Josh in the pocket and make the Bills  dink and dunk on 15 play drives.   That's the world we live in now.   Hey, Cinci and KC are living that life and doing just fine, thanks.   

Sure Tim G, we all see it, nothing you can say is anything new.   The Bills D is a injury riddled disaster,  everyone is playing deep cover 2 and, yeah , Dorsey is getting more careful on offense due to both factors.   Seems pretty f ing smart to me.   

Not as fun for the fan, sure, but hey, the NHL was a way better watch before everyone implemented the neutral zone trap as soon as they got a lead, too.   Coaches get paid to play defense, too. 

Edited by ProcessTruster

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You see it in the blank stares during losses, of course, but that spark of joy doesn’t crackle like it once did even in triumph. We saw a glimpse when the Bills slobberknocked the Miami Dolphins in Week 4, but that was forever ago. Subsequent victories over the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers elicited mere sighs of relief.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Graham is still a whiny little beach. We lost @Loriover him, but him disappearing from here forever is a pretty close alternative.

He's DEFINITELY not missed... we got along without him for many years before he even got here, and we got along without him after he turned tail and ran.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He kind of eludes to last year:

"Once among the NFL’s most entertaining clubs, the Bills have become a prime-time bore. Last year, they averaged 31 points while going undefeated in five night games. The Bills enter Monday night’s matchup against the Denver Broncos with a 2-2 prime-time record and averaging 18 points."

I personally think they stopped having fun around the 2nd half of the Packer game last year.

Kinda like when Apollo Creed got knocked down for the first time in Rocky 1. That's when he stopped having fun!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:31 PM, boyst said:

Tim Graham is a phenomenal writer. He can construct and convey a story like few others can do even if we don't like his stories or people have a personal dislike for him. 

Agree. I say this as someone who has done that job: that was always the difference between he and Sully. Tim Graham is a GREAT writer. Sully can barely use English.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Cover 2  all game'll do that to ya, like it does to all the big play teams.   Defenses don't allow the chunk plays to the Bills any more.   Hell, now defenses are baiting Josh into trying the Gabe Davis - ish 25 yard sideline throw , then drop the LB or Corner  at the last minute and make the pick, as happened in Foxboro and Cincinnati. 

Fans were warned to enjoy it while they could, bc Defenses eventually would take a page out of Lesley Fraziers book and play deep cover 2 all game, pen Josh in the pocket and make the Bills  dink and dunk on 15 play drives.   That's the world we live in now.   Hey, Cinci and KC are living that life and doing just fine, thanks.   

Sure Tim G, we all see it, nothing you can say is anything new.   The Bills D is a injury riddled disaster,  everyone is playing deep cover 2 and, yeah , Dorsey is getting more careful on offense due to both factors.   Seems pretty f ing smart to me.   

Not as fun for the fan, sure, but hey, the NHL was a way better watch before everyone implemented the neutral zone trap as soon as they got a lead, too.   Coaches get paid to play defense, too. 

Except they aren't playing cover 2 all that much.  As per @HoofHearted 

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, QCity said:

You see it in the blank stares during losses, of course, but that spark of joy doesn’t crackle like it once did even in triumph. We saw a glimpse when the Bills slobberknocked the Miami Dolphins in Week 4, but that was forever ago. Subsequent victories over the New York Giants and Tampa Bay Buccaneers elicited mere sighs of relief.

FdNPxpYXgAUvxwz.jpg

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Still, I think back to the drought years and try to keep it in perspective. So it’s not that bad! 

That is one perspective.

Here’s a contrary one however.

We’ve had the second-easiest schedule of any team in the league to date.

Among the 8 remaining games, they include two teams that have already beaten us, with QBs Wilson and Jones;

Three current division leaders which include last season’s two Super Bowl participants, with all three of those games being on the road;

One team that will in every likelihood make the playoffs sitting behind one of those division leaders;

and @ another where we haven’t won in six tries since Knox was our coach and Ferguson our QB.

Denver on MNF is the odd team out of that mix.

Our start equals the start we had in 2017, 2015, 2014, 2011, 2008, 2007, 2002, and 2000.

Our record in those seasons respectively was ... 

9-7 

8-8 

9-7 

6-10 

7-9 

7-9 

8-8 

8-8 

Our QBs in those seasons were Taylor (twice), Orton, Fitzpatrick, Edwards (twice), Bledsoe, and Johnson respectively.  

We have Allen!  

Our remaining schedule is more difficult than for any of those seasons.

Monday’s game is critical at this point. Absolute must-win, and even then it’ll be uphill.  Lose, and I suppose that the wheels start coming off completely and Pegula needs to step in, perhaps not now, but at the end of the season for sure.

McD’s had 8 days to prepare, not that he understands what preparing actually is, nonetheless.

Payton’s had two weeks.

And again, not that what any one of us thinks or says actually matters, but as a contrary perspective.

For those thinking that we beat Miami as a feat of significance, consider that Miami has beaten no one relevant, not one team that is presently seeded for playoff contention.  The only team with more than 3 wins that they've beaten is the 4-4 Chargers, and only by 2 in a come-from-behind last-minute win.  They’ve had a similarly easy schedule and the third easiest in the league.  So it’s quite likely that our win over them is less relevant than we originally thought.  

Edited by PBF81

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.