2024 Salary Cap

Mikie2times

I have never played with the salary manager tool in spotrac.  Playing with this for a bit and it would seem White, Morse, Poyer, Hines, and Bates are likely out next year. Those moves in conjunction with one or multiple restructures appear to get us near the number. So while some people are saying full on rebuilding mode I don't know if it's that drastic. Then the following year Von seems much more expendable.  

Enjoy the tool, it's fun and gives some perspective on the cap challenges ahead. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/2024/

image.thumb.png.5364e92194535278f7f16b404031d1d8.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I have never played with the salary manager tool in spotrac.  Playing with this for a bit and it would seem White, Morse, Poyer, Hines, and Bates are likely out next year. Those moves in conjunction with one or multiple restructures appear to get us near the number. So while some people are saying full on rebuilding mode I don't know if it's that drastic. Then the following year Von seems much more expendable.  

Enjoy the tool, it's fun and gives some perspective on the cap challenges ahead. 

Bates is Morse’s replacement so we have to keep one of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Bates is Morse’s replacement so we have to keep one of them.

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Who do you have as our SS and FS in your scenario?

I think we would likely be moving on. Hyde would get consideration I would assume. I don't think we give Bates the keys. He's awfully meaty for cap savings. We will see on it I guess. I REALLY don't think Morse is here next year though. I think that one is more clear than Bates.  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Miller's out the moment they can afford to dump him.  From Spotrac it seems that it would be a bigger cap hit for us to cut him than to keep him, but nearly $10M.  So he'll be around.  

It did not like simulations on certain players. He was chief among them.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I think we would likely be moving on. Hyde would get consideration I would assume. I don't think we give Bates the keys. He's awfully meaty for cap savings. We will see on it I guess. I REALLY don't think Morse is here next year though. I think that one is more clear than Bates.  

Right, but if we don’t have Bates, we still have to find someone and pay them to play Center.  Bates is at a pretty good price for what we’d have to pay a decent center from elsewhere, unless we find someone in the draft.  I don’t think we will want to re-sign Hyde bc of age and Poyer might be done too, but we will still need FS and SS replacements, so didn’t know if you had contemplated who that might be.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Right, but if we don’t have Bates, we still have to find someone and pay them to play Center.  Bates is at a pretty good price for what we’d have to pay a decent center from elsewhere, unless we find someone in the draft.  I don’t think we will want to re-sign Hyde bc of age and Poyer might be done too, but we will still need FS and SS replacements, so didn’t know if you had contemplated who that might be.

If we moved on from both we would be forced into a vet back up and a premium draft pick. 

Not sure at safety. I haven't looked at FA safety's. You have to think McD will look at the draft if we lost both Poyer and Hyde. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with Rasul Douglas. I believe he's a 9M cap hit next year...with no guarantees. Maybe an extension lowers that number a fair amount...or if he doesn't do well the rest of the year we can walk at no cost.

I got the sense that trade was done with the long term in mind just as much as the short term.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I really don’t care anymore. Somehow the Eagles, Chiefs and 49ers and trade for players and sign free agents and we are always maxed to the cap. I give up

Not having a 5 plus year QB deal at over a 40 million dollar cap hit helps.  What’s Purdy cost about 900K?

Hurts kicks in next year you can sense the urgency with them.  

And soon Burrow and Herbert will kick in.  

So yea we missed the rookie contract window we are now in we need an elite offensive HC mode that can hire great DCs mode - DCs that will get HC jobs and get us draft picks like the 49ers.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I didn’t know that Spotrac had one. I usually use overthecap’s. I like that it shows running cap space totals for current and future years . Just click on where it says “cut pre 6/1” to change to restructure, etc. Here is the link:

https://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not having a 5 plus year QB deal at over a 40 million dollar cap hit helps.  What’s Purdy cost about 900K?

Hurts kicks in next year you can sense the urgency with them.  

And soon Burrow and Herbert will kick in.  

So yea we missed the rookie contract window we are now in we need an elite offensive HC mode that can hire great DCs mode - DCs that will get HC jobs and get us draft picks like the 49ers.  

We never really had that rookie window because it took Josh two whole seasons to become a franchise QB. Meanwhile, Burrow goes to the SB in year two. That’s the problem with drafting a project, and Beane keeps drafting projects.

• Vomit 1

I think Josh might get an extension with that restructure.

Taron Johnson is another good extension candidate. 

A Douglas extension is likely and will save some money. 

Curious what they do with Dawkins. $16M is over values next season. But we don’t have much money and he’s “good enough”. He could be a cut/trade candidate. But he could also get extended at a value closer to his worth to lower his cost to the cap. 

The tough part I have with Poyer/Hyde is that you have to replace them. We don’t have money, and I’d like to commit the first 3 picks of the draft to WR, OT, and C. I think they’ll likely keep one and give Rapp and extension for the other. 

We will have to draft a pass rusher or two somewhere. 

Edited by Mango

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The tough part I have with Poyer/Hyde is that you have to replace them. We don’t have money, and I’d like to commit the first 3 picks of the draft to WR, OT, and C. I think they’ll likely keep one and give Rapp and extension for the other. 

I'm not even sure I'd be confident that Poyer or Hyde would be able to give you a full season next year. I'm afraid Poyer's arm is going to fall off every time he makes a tackle, and Hyde seems like he could be one unlucky hit away from being done for good (and luck has not been on our side as of late). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Miller's out the moment they can afford to dump him.  From Spotrac it seems that it would be a bigger cap hit for us to cut him than to keep him, but nearly $10M.  So he'll be around.  

Plus Epenesa will hit FA.  We will then be down to only Groot as a pass rusher.   this team is in a mess.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure there’s a more dire roster situation in the league when you consider age, injuries, bloated contracts,  # of pending free agents, and salary cap issues. Having a top 10 QB is the wildcard, but I can’t name more than 6-7 “core” players going into next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Next season is another re-tooling and fat trimming. 

A player I wonder if they can find a way to move on from is Knox. Trade candidate?

No one's taking on his contract for what he's produced the past couple seasons and giving us a pick on top of it for the 'privilege' of doing so.

We'll likely stick with him for next year as Kincaid's backup and the occasional two TE set and then use the out in his contract in 2025. Only way we're moving him is if we eat most of his deal and get little to nothing in return. In which case, why bother?

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Josh might get an extension with that restructure.

Taron Johnson is another good extension candidate. 

A Douglas extension is likely and will save some money. 

Curious what they do with Dawkins. $16M is over values next season. But we don’t have much money and he’s “good enough”. He could be a cut/trade candidate. But he could also get extended at a value closer to his worth to lower his cost to the cap. 

We will have to draft a pass rusher or two somewhere. 

Allen is under contract through 2028 so there’s no way he gets extended this off-season. 

Dawkins is better than fine. $16M is average LT money and he’s only getting $11.9M in new cash. That’s cheap for even average play. An extension is possible but I would be wary due to his conditioning issues and age. 

I agree that it would be tough to replace both safeties in the same season. I don’t know that Rapp is a good answer though. I thought he was a good pick up but he’s disappointed so far. 

It does seem like needs are piling up. Lots of work to be done next off-season. 

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

If we moved on from both we would be forced into a vet back up and a premium draft pick. 

Can’t see them using a “premium draft pick”  at C… 

I think a replacement for Davis and RT are bigger requirements that they will need to address in the draft first ….. 

Maybe try to get by with Bates at C for one year and roll the dice on a Day 3 pick at C that you can groom for 12 months to start in 2025…That doesn’t work then C is a big need the following year obviously…

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, he has a 32.5 million dollar dead cap hit to cut him after this year. That combined with the fact that he's only 1 or 2 DE's we have under contract and 1 of 3 D-Lineman overall - he's not going anywhere.

The soonest we can move on is after the 2024 season. Before then, we're paying more money to move on from him than we would be to have him. And we can't afford to pay money to create more holes. Especially in a position that is pretty much barren to begin with.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

Just a wild guess here, but anyone think Rasul Douglas could be a long-term answer at safety?

We obviously have to replace at least one, maybe two. Douglas has a fairly high cap hit next year, but if the team likes what he brings, they could lower that with a 2- to 3-year extension.

Poyer and Hyde were both converted CBs…there’s precedent. 

Thoughts?

Edited by WickedGame
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, WickedGame said:

Just a wild guess here, but anyone think Rasul Douglas could be a long-term answer at safety?

We obviously have to replace at least one, maybe two. Douglas has a fairly high cap hit next year, if the team likes what he brings, they could lower that with a 2- to 3-year extension.

Thoughts?

Elam could be a fine safety

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, WickedGame said:

We obviously have to replace at least one, maybe two. Douglas has a fairly high cap hit next year, but if the team likes what he brings, they could lower that with a 2- to 3-year extension.

Thoughts?

Maybe … but they will need Douglas at CB next year …He is probably CB1 next year…

He is likely to be extended a couple of years regardless of the plan for him…

Guy is 29 now…so he isn’t really going to be a “long term” answer to anything,.. probably got 3 years left tops as a starter after this year …then he will be as old as Poyer and Hyde are now…

Edited by Aussie Joe

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, he has a 32.5 million dollar dead cap hit to cut him after this year. That combined with the fact that he's only 1 or 2 DE's we have under contract and 1 of 3 D-Lineman overall - he's not going anywhere.

The soonest we can move on is after the 2024 season.

Agreed. Even designating him a 6/1 cut this off-season would hurt a lot:

2024 Dead Cap: $17,084,000

2025 Dead Cap: $15,417,000

2024 Cap Savings: $6,790,000

I hope that Von will return to his old form (or something close to it), but there is a chance he doesn’t. That could lead to him retiring or the Bills making a very difficult decision. 

7 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Elam could be a fine safety

Not with his tackling issues. 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe … but they will need Douglas at CB next year …He is probably CB1 next year…

He is likely to be extended a couple of years regardless of the plan for him…

Guy is 28 now…so he isn’t really going to be a “long term” answer to anything,.. probably got 3 years left tops as a starter after this year …then he will be as old as Poyer and Hyde are now…

By long-term, I don’t mean 10 years. Even five-year stability and competence at safety would be good for me. Essentially, what we got from Hyde and Poyer. 

But your point is well taken at CB. I just hope that’s not our answer. Or if it is, I hope he proves worth it. While I’m not expecting another All-Pro to walk through the door, merely “adequate” might be a letdown, considering we all felt we were a CB2 upgrade over Levi Wallace away from a top end secondary. I’d hate to see us retreat to the middle across that position group. 

2 hours ago, WickedGame said:

By long-term, I don’t mean 10 years. Even five-year stability and competence at safety would be good for me. Essentially, what we got from Hyde and Poyer. 

But your point is well taken at CB. I just hope that’s not our answer. Or if it is, I hope he proves worth it. While I’m not expecting another All-Pro to walk through the door, merely “adequate” might be a letdown, considering we all felt we were a CB2 upgrade over Levi Wallace away from a top end secondary. I’d hate to see us retreat to the middle across that position group. 

Well… I think 5 years is a little unrealistic to expect Douglas to still be playing at a starter level …given we are saying to move on from Poyer and Hyde now who are 32… Douglas is 30 next year …I’ll be happy if they get another three years out of him…

I think Douglas can be the CB1 next year at least …not sure what the long term answer is at CB1…. Hoping Benford hasn’t hit his ceiling yet… Elam seems an unlikely answer ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

We never really had that rookie window because it took Josh two whole seasons to become a franchise QB. Meanwhile, Burrow goes to the SB in year two. That’s the problem with drafting a project, and Beane keeps drafting projects.

The other thing that hurt the Bills is they were never quite the train wreck that the Bengals were.  Going back to 2010 the Bills never won less than 6 games a year meanwhile the Bengals never won more than 6 games going back to 2015 so they had better draft picks for a few years prior.  Prior to that the Bengals had a few good years so wouldn't also surprise me that they had made some "fire sale" trades in 2016 and 17 once they realized they sucked and acquired more draft picks.  Chargers too were more up and down so had some better draft picks some years too.

18 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The other thing that hurt the Bills is they were never quite the train wreck that the Bengals were.  Going back to 2010 the Bills never won less than 6 games a year meanwhile the Bengals never won more than 6 games going back to 2015 so they had better draft picks for a few years prior.  Prior to that the Bengals had a few good years so wouldn't also surprise me that they had made some "fire sale" trades in 2016 and 17 once they realized they sucked and acquired more draft picks.  Chargers too were more up and down so had some better draft picks some years too.

Bengals very rarely trade.  They had a preseason trade a couple years ago for BJ Hill who was a backup for a backup center.  We have had only 2 in-season trades in the last 50 years, both players were upset and demanded trades; Dunlap & Palmer.

The Benglas value draft choices more than gold, despite the fact that for 12 seasons prior to Burrow the drafting was pathetically awful.  The Bengals disdain for trades is mind-numing pathetic to their fanbase.   We could have used a RB, DT and TE.... we made no calls, took no calls while Beane picked up all 3.  Fans are less vocal the last couple of seasons because of the current success, but for decades prior we experienced nonstop criminally bad front office and ownership decisions.

5 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Bengals very rarely trade.  They had a preseason trade a couple years ago for BJ Hill who was a backup for a backup center.  We have had only 2 in-season trades in the last 50 years, both players were upset and demanded trades; Dunlap & Palmer.

The Benglas value draft choices more than gold, despite the fact that for 12 seasons prior to Burrow the drafting was pathetically awful.  The Bengals disdain for trades is mind-numing pathetic to their fanbase.   We could have used a RB, DT and TE.... we made no calls, took no calls while Beane picked up all 3.  Fans are less vocal the last couple of seasons because of the current success, but for decades prior we experienced nonstop criminally bad front office and ownership decisions.

Listen, I know that your team won on Sunday, but I have a name for you. Billy Price. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Plus Epenesa will hit FA.  We will then be down to only Groot as a pass rusher.   this team is in a mess.

Wow, I didn't know that about AJE.  Yeah, not good.  

McBeane are starting to lap themselves.  Part of their problem is self-induced by not playing rookies as much as other teams do.  Another knock on McD.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.