McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

22 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He won’t and you can enjoy us trotting out some journeyman while we convince ourselves that ground n pound is gonna get us a ring. 

Like I said, if we fire McD I hope to god he wins the Super Bowl the very next season. 

For every Siriani, there are a dozen mediocre pieces of garbage at head coach. 

I refuse to fire a proven winner just to hire Joe Judge/Arthur Smith/Pat Schurmer/Freddie Kitchens…

What has McDermott won?

2 playoff games, and 1 lucky win against an overrated (at the time) Jackson?

2 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Who will McDermott lose first, the team or the fans? 

He lost the team at 13 seconds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just wondering out loud how I’d react if one of my salesmen had processes in place that yielded high commissions and then just kept deciding at random to do something completely different that always ended up losing clients…

Pretty sure I wouldn’t be cool with them

telling me that they’re just trying different styles of marketing. 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Great! Blow it all up! Let’s waste MORE of Josh Allen! Hell, trade him and grab Crybaby the Clown outta USC!

You’re saying because the bills have had some success under MCD, the next guy they replace can’t be better?

Eagles let go of a Super Bowl coach and got better. (Doug pederson to Siriani)

The last time the bills looked dominant under McDermott was September last year

Thats an eternity ago for nfl standards, especially when this roster has an elite QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would you conclude that McD is the only HC who could keep this team from “going back”?

Do you really want Terry Pegula making another coaching hire?

What are the odds that he is capable of hiring somebody that is an actual upgrade over McDermott?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

McD's answer was very Belichikish

OTOH - Dorsey answers are a hot mess.  Half the time he fails to answer the question.  He tends to be very scattered and takes minutes to answer what should only take seconds.   He's all over the place, which if that is an indication of how he thinks, then it should not be a surprise that our offense has no identity now.

19 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Unless he turns it around in a big way, I think Dorsey is gone after the season.  

I think he has to be, but if McD doesn’t get rid of him and sticks with him, then I think it ends bad for McD and he will go down with Dorsey.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

You’re saying because the bills have had some success under MCD, the next guy they replace can’t be better?

Eagles let go of a Super Bowl coach and got better. (Doug pederson to Siriani)

The last time the bills looked dominant under McDermott was September last year

Thats an eternity ago for nfl standards, especially when this roster has an elite QB

The Eagles have the most talented roster in the NFL. You could plug Chip Kelly in there and they'd still be having success. 

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

What has McDermott won?

2 playoff games, and 1 lucky win against an overrated (at the time) Jackson?

He lost the team at 13 seconds.

Oh he lost the team? Is that why we finished with double-digit wins the next season and won the division again? 

Just now, Roundybout said:

The Eagles have the most talented roster in the NFL. You could plug Chip Kelly in there and they'd still be having success. 

Oh he lost the team? Is that why we finished with double-digit wins the next season and won the division again? 

Not a chance lol.

Not sure how you can’t credit Siriani for going there and turning Hurts into an all pro QB.

That talent the eagles have? I would almost guarantee Siriani has a say in roster construction, as almost all head coaches do now a days.

53 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Do you remember what it was like before him? You wanna go back?

The reason they were terrible for so long was lack of a QB more than coaching. Marrone almost got them to the playoffs with Kyle Orton one step from retirement. With Josh, they wouldn't go back to the drought.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Just wondering out loud how I’d react if one of my salesmen had processes in place that yielded high commissions and then just kept deciding at random to do something completely different that always ended up losing clients…

Pretty sure I wouldn’t be cool with them

telling me that they’re just trying different styles of marketing. 

Yup. "I've closed 30 clients like this, but I want to slow down the process to be more complimentary. Need to change it up just to see other styles of closing".

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

The reason they were terrible for so long was lack of a QB more than coaching. Marrone almost got them to the playoffs with Kyle Orton one step from retirement. With Josh, they wouldn't go back to the drought.

Great, then we can be the Philip Rivers Chargers! Yaaaay! 

What a joke. 

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

What are the odds that he is capable of hiring somebody that is an actual upgrade over McDermott?

Not a McD fan and think he is at his ceiling, but this is a great point and very worrisome

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Great, can’t wait to hire some mediocre Brandon Staley/Matt Nagy clone to appease the “offense only” crowd and watch us finish 7-10 every season. 

If we fire McD I hope he wins five super bowls. 

Guess you would rather watch a 12-5 season (or worse) with all the wins coming over teams with losing records and never having a chance against real teams.   That’s just purgatory.

So I was right all along then.  I've been saying it really looked like the coaches would see something work well and then immediately do something else instead of what is having success.  The thing is, I was kind of joking, but sadly.......the coaches admit it is true.  This really makes me question as the competence of our coaches.  To actively stop what is working because they wanted to try something or see something else?  That is insanity. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

😆 no way that’s real…

reporter - “hey coach that uptempo offense got you guys a TD on the first drive, why’d you change it”

mcdermott - “well once you find something that works are philosophy is let’s change to something that we’re not sure will work because hey why not”

🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

I’ll do all I can to get this clown out of WNY.

He should’ve been banned the moment the clock went to 0:00 in KC January 2022.

FIRE THIS MORON

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

It will be going from Lindy Ruff to Ron Rolston et al. I will bet you anything. 

Listen Sean, I think you are a good guy and thank you for turning this team around. I have seen no growth in this team since 13 seconds and our offense is regressing. Very concerned with Diggs, complementary football, etc. you have zero answers...

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Guess you would rather watch a 12-5 season (or worse) with all the wins coming over teams with losing records and never having a chance against real teams.   That’s just purgatory.

I would rather watch a team with a chance to beat anyone than a team that we cover our eyes and hope they don't lose by 30. 

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Listen Sean, I think you are a good guy and thank you for turning this team around. I have seen no growth in this team since 13 seconds and our offense is regressing. Very concerned with Diggs, complementary football, etc. you have zero answers...

You think you're funny or something? 

Sorry I'm not just a standard knee-jerk Bills fan that wants a little nuance. 

1 minute ago, McBean said:

I’ll do all I can to get this clown out of WNY.

He should’ve been banned the moment the clock went to 0:00 in KC January 2022.

FIRE THIS MORON

If we fire him, I hope we make the Super Bowl and he beats us. I really do. We would 100% deserve it. 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Great, can’t wait to hire some mediocre Brandon Staley/Matt Nagy clone to appease the “offense only” crowd and watch us finish 7-10 every season. 

If we fire McD I hope he wins five super bowls. 

We have a mediocre Brandon Staley clone as the HC, sorry DC, right now.

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

If we fire him, I hope we make the Super Bowl and he beats us. I really do. We would 100% deserve it. 

Oof, this is a sign it's time to take a break.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is such a strange argument. 

Do you think things are getting better here? Would you not want to try to get someone who can even possibly take you over the top when you have a guy that has shown he can't do it and whose team and program has been in decline? Yes, there's always a risk of getting worse. But what are you afraid of losing here?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Perhaps he felt that our offense wasn't inclusive enough.  

Maybe some players weren't happy with their roles, and in the interests of positive culture McD decided to try other styles of offenses.   

Maybe they'll put a tent on the field as a safe space for any player(s) that aren't happy with their roles during games.  That could help.   And for the players on D for which it's too much trying to play more due to a couple of injuries there, maybe a tent on-field with comfort dogs or something too.  We could put snap counters on players, and once their forced over a certain percentage of snaps, into the comfort animal tent they go for treatment.  

It's so exciting to see where this goes!!  

Either way, it's good to see that our Head Coach was on top of things and made sure to abandon things that were working so that we could be inclusive to the feelings of other inanimate styles.  There's no denying the fantastic culture he's built here.  

:rolleyes:

this post broke my snark meter 🤭

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not a McD fan and think he is at his ceiling, but this is a great point and very worrisome

Im not even joking when I would take back Daboll as HC in a heartbeat.  

And honestly McDermott might be great for the rebuilding Giants. 

Daboll has a connection with Allen, and at this point, that’s all I care about … because Dorsey seems to have our star QB’s head in a tourniquet .. and the HC/QB relationship is very evident in KC, MIA and CIN. 

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We have a mediocre Brandon Staley clone as the HC, sorry DC, right now.

Oof, this is a sign it's time to take a break.

I simply refuse to fire the coach with a 72-43 record and three-straight division titles because we're 5-4. It's madness. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

You think you're funny or something? 

Sorry I'm not just a standard knee-jerk Bills fan that wants a little nuance. 

giphy.gif

So tell me - why does he need to stay? Give us all a compelling from 13 seconds to now, why he should stay...

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not even joking when I would take back Daboll as HC in a heartbeat.  

And honestly McDermott might be great for the rebuilding Giants. 

Daboll has a connection with Allen, and at this point, that’s all I care about … because Dorsey seems to have our star QB’s head in a tourniquet .. and the HC/QB relationship is very evident in KC, MIA and CIN. 

It's not just Dorsey with Allen twisted up. It really feels like McD is twisting it up as well

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Simon said:

So we'll never make another coaching hire again. Got it. 🙄

No, I dont necessarily trust Pegula to nail it. But I think he has a better shot of making a decent hire by taking the advice of both the consulting firm he used to find McDermott, AND having Beane involved in the search, than McD has in guiding this team to a Super Bowl victory.

Thems the breaks.

4 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I simply refuse to fire the coach with a 72-43 record and three-straight division titles because we're 5-4. It's madness. 

Good news. You arent involved at all. And thank goodness since you just said you wanted the Bills to lose the Super Bowl.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This is such a strange argument. 

Do you think things are getting better here? Would you not want to try to get someone who can even possibly take you over the top when you have a guy that has shown he can't do it and whose team and program has been in decline? Yes, there's always a risk of getting worse. But what are you afraid of losing here?

There's more than just a "risk" of getting worse.

The Bills best chance of maintaining success is probably to minimize the amount of involvement that Pegula has with the football (or hockey) side of operations.

McDermott is a solid coach who is respected by his players and his peers. Letting Terry pick another coach to replace that is a potential nightmare in the offing.

The only thing the Bills should do in regard to McDermott is hire a real DC for next year so he's not walking around with so many hats on at once.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.