Fan base desperation.

Riverboat Ritchie

An overreaction to loss but any Thoughts?  

I keep saying just one before I die but unlikely that happens anytime soon. Really hope Josh has an Elway ending and not a Rivers one but more likely rivers if McD around much longer  

Anyhow, I doubt our desperation permeates the team at all but curious if it impacts the organization at all?  I have found Josh’s comments about Super Bowl parades or silly banners in field house to be odd.  

I really doubt there is a fan base in the US more hungry for a championship than Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

I really doubt there is a fan base in the US more hungry for a championship than Buffalo.  

And it does not matter in the least. Seats are full.  Merch selling like hot cakes.  The NFL is a business and as far as business goes, all is not well, its great.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t think any of us in our 50’s think we are gonna “get one before I die”.  We had some great kicks at the can recently and 13 seconds was the year.  If for some stroke of sheer luck, they do win the SB i will gladly admit i was horribly wrong.

• Sad 1

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

We have a bunch of pie in the sky fans around here.  Not the kind I’d want in the locker room if they were players.  What a bunch of delusional losers.  I want realists.  Not the everything is fine, nothing to see here, let’s give the benefit of the doubt despite facts to the contrary.

Fans who give up like you are the worst. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

We have a bunch of soft fans on here. Not the kind I’d want in the locker room if they were players. What a bunch of whining losers. I want winners. Not feel sorry for me, woe is me, burn it all down. 

We have a bunch of pie in the sky fans around here.  Not the kind I’d want in the locker room if they were players.  What a bunch of delusional losers.  I want realists.  Not the everything is fine, nothing to see here, let’s give the benefit of the doubt despite facts to the contrary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

We have a bunch of soft fans on here. Not the kind I’d want in the locker room if they were players. What a bunch of whining losers. I want winners. Not feel sorry for me, woe is me, burn it all down. 

IDK, if I'm in the locker room I'm pretty pissed off that we didn't play anywhere near to the level that we're capable of playing.  ... for three weeks straight now and even somewhat prior to that.  

Soft?  

This board overreacts to every game. This loss was bad esp after overcoming a bad 10-0 start and a sluggish first half to take the lead by 3 with less than 2 minutes left to lose to a long TD drive is really going to leave a bad taste in the fans mouths. 

This team needs a sharpe performance on Thursday. Some positives about this game were Kincaid and Shakir getting going. Hopefully they can get Oliver back for Thursday and slow the bleeding a bit. 

I am not writing the season off just a really sour loss. Especially after you make this great comeback to give it all up on a long TD drive with less than 2 minutes is just anger inducing 

8 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

The thing that hurts most is we’ve been waiting 25 years for the franchise quarterback, and now that we finally have one we are squandering it. I have been DREAMING of these days. 

It'd be one thing if we were getting the most from Allen and the offense under him, but that's far from the case.  

But we have a "winning culture" and "character."  

Apparently those of us thinking that can get a whole lot more than what we're actually getting are "soft."  LOL 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

This board overreacts to every game. This loss was bad esp after overcoming a bad 10-0 start and a sluggish first half to take the lead by 3 with less than 2 minutes left to lose to a long TD drive is really going to leave a bad taste in the fans mouths. 

This team needs a sharpe performance on Thursday. Some positives about this game were Kincaid and Shakir getting going. Hopefully they can get Oliver back for Thursday and slow the bleeding a bit. 

I am not writing the season off just a really sour loss. Especially after you make this great comeback to give it all up on a long TD drive with less than 2 minutes is just anger inducing 

Two losses and a win that should have been a loss, with two of the three being against two of the worst teams in the league.  

Let's say instead of three games that were 8 games, would your take still be the same?  

At what point do you have issues with it?  

Just curious.  :) 

1 minute ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Fans who say everything is fine like you, despite all evidence to the contrary, are the worst.

Everything is fine. Last I checked Allen’s elbow is intact, and so is Diggs ACL. When either go down I’ll be right there with you. Now we have Kincaid emerging. R-E-L-A-X. Buccaneers are toast in 96 hours. Get to 5-3 enjoy the mini bye and get revenge on the Bengals. 

I don't think there are a lot of fanbases that can relate to the Bills fan experience.

Every fanbase has some heartbreak & disappointment.  But this is so far beyond. I've been a fan since the early '80s, and it's just astounding the haymakers I've had to pick myself up from.  

I think of Cubs fans, and Red Sox fans, before they won their titles.  But I can't think of too many others.

I'm not gonna fold, though.  I felt close to it today, but just a few hours later, I'm back up again.  And I hold out because when we do get one, it will be one of the sweetest moments of my life.  No Pats fan under the age of 40 or so could possibly relate, despite the ridiculous success they've enjoyed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don’t think any of us in our 50’s think we are gonna “get one before I die”.  We had some great kicks at the can recently and 13 seconds was the year.  If for some stroke of sheer luck, they do win the SB i will gladly admit i was horribly wrong.

I’m 47 what’s my chances? 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This board overreacts to every game. 

Fan= fanatic

Fans of all teams overreact. Especially the long-suffering fan bases like Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit.

I dunno. Forums like these give us a place to vent. Just don't let the negativity drag u down.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Everything is fine. Last I checked Allen’s elbow is intact, and so is Diggs ACL. When either go down I’ll be right there with you. Now we have Kincaid emerging. R-E-L-A-X. Buccaneers are toast in 96 hours. Get to 5-3 enjoy the mini bye and get revenge on the Bengals. 

It’s far from fine.  We already have as many losses as we did last season.  Losing to some of the worst teams in the league during what was supposed to be the easy portion of the schedule and stacking wins before murderers row on the backend.  This team is on a fast path to not even qualifying for the playoffs.  Tiebreakers not looking good.  After seeing the likes of Tyrod and Mac shred the D it wouldn’t shock me to see Baker have a career day and looking like the overall number one pick he once was.  After that, good luck against Burrow, Mahomes, Hurts, Dak, Herbert and Tua.  It will be welcome relief to get Mac again at the end😂

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It’s far from fine.  We already have as many losses as we did last season.  Losing to some of the worst teams in the league during what was supposed to be the easy portion of the schedule and stacking wins before murderers row on the backend.  This team is on a fast path to not even qualifying for the playoffs.  Tiebreakers not looking good.  After seeing the likes of Tyrod and Mac shred the D it wouldn’t shock me to see Baker have a career day and looking like the overall number one pick he once was.  After that, good luck against Burrow, Mahomes, Hurts, Dak, Herbert and Tua.  It will be welcome relief to get Mac again at the end😂

Last year we were healthy until we weren’t. This year the injury bug struck early. I have no problem with anything at this juncture. The team is on pace for a 10-11 win season. All I care about is effort and execution. Effort has been there. Execution has been off as of late. Allen has to play better earlier. If Allen is ever going to win a championship he needs to do better than he did today. That 1st throw pick was weak and not deserving of MVP conversation. Bottomline it’s a QB driven league, and Allen needs to play at an MVP player. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Last year we were healthy until we weren’t. This year the injury bug struck early. I have no problem with anything at this juncture. The team is on pace for a 10-11 win season. All I care about is effort and execution. Effort has been there. Execution has been off as of late. Allen has to play better earlier. If Allen is ever going to win a championship he needs to do better than he did today. That 1st throw pick was weak and not deserving of MVP conversation. Bottomline it’s a QB driven league, and Allen needs to play at an MVP player. 

I disagree with a lot of what you said.  But I'll just ask you this - tell me which specific games on the remaining schedule will get us 6 or 7 more wins?  I don't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I'm so tired of the same old BS after a loss. Yup. We have as many losses as last year, great. What did that get us in 2022-2023? Almost lost to the Dolphins in the Wild Card with a third string QB (probably Dorsey's fault too) and then smoked in the divisional. What does that tell you about regular season record? It's meaningless. 

Make the playoffs and see what happens. Will we? I have no idea. Not if we keep playing like this. But luckily there's 10 more weeks of games for us and the playoffs aren't decided after week 7.

Everyone else in the AFC has to be feared and is elite... 

Burrow - smoked by the Browns, smoked by the freaking Titans, nearly lost to the Seahawks. "But they've turned the corner and are the same old Bengals again...we'll surely lose." Oh, okay. But that can't happen for us as well right? No sir, not possible for us to turn it around, because it doesn't fit your narrative. We better fire all sorts of people and make drastic changes just like the Bengals did when they were losing...oh...wait...they didn't. 

Herbert - they're 2-4.

Tua - last I checked, this same exact offense that hung 49 on them and blew them out. Week 18 is a long way away. 

Dak - lost to the ***** Cardinals; seems eerily similar to us losing today. Yet it's a hopeless game for us. 

Prior to today the Chiefs did not look amazing, nor have the Eagles.

Have we been ***** since London? Sure have. Is anyone going to get fired because of it while we're sitting at 4-3, potentially 1 game back of MIA if they lose tonight? Nope.

Is there time to fix the mess and see what happens? Sure is. 

We might suck. We might turn it around. Fact is, no one knows what's going to happen. It's call adversity. Strong teams rise against it. Weak teams fall to it. But the "fire <insert name here" and "cut/trade <insert name here>" bull#### is just absurd. Those things aren't going to happen given the current circumstances. 

So many of these threads, and I don't even mean you, just others in general, talk about being a "realist". It's not a realistic take though. It's a negative, pessimistic take.

A realistic take is that we lost three games and have looked liked dog ***** for the past three. A realistic take is that we also won the prior three and looked unbeatable. Yes injuries happened, but it was the same coaches and schemes. Players need to be better, injured or not. 

I'll fall asleep tonight hoping they can turn it around. Maybe they won't, but what good is there in me getting upset over something I have zero control over? To say "I was right, the rest of you are so stupid" on a football message board full of strangers if they suck? Neat - no thanks. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I disagree with a lot of what you said.  But I'll just ask you this - tell me which specific games on the remaining schedule will get us 6 or 7 more wins?  I don't see it.

to be fair,  not many people saw us losing to the Patriots either.  On paper, we “should” lose the Eagles, Chiefs, and Cowboys games for sure (hell, maybe throw the Bengals in there), but…. see how it plays out.  Who knows what the injury situation will look like for those teams when we meet them.

10 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

It's call adversity. Strong teams rise against it. Weak teams fall to it. 

Not sure why you quoted me since I have not advocated for any trades or firings.  But I will respond to your referenced point - this team is mentally weak and does not respond well to adversity, imho.  And it is a reflection of the team taking on the identity of their head coach.  

9 minutes ago, Nelius said:

How did we lose to some of the worst teams in the league? Are we counting the Giants as a loss now? Jacksonville is good and it was in London, and the Jets were SB picks in Week 1. We’ve lost to a single bad team.

Jets when Rodgers went down 3 snaps in and Patriots, with a squeak by against the Giants when in all reality we all know Taron held on for dear life.  And lets not puff our chest out too far about victories against world beaters Washington and the Raiders. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

Jets when Rodgers went down 3 snaps in and Patriots, with a squeak by against the Giants when in all reality we all know Taron held on for dear life.  And lets not puff our chest out too far about victories against world beaters Washington and the Raiders. 

All this is fair but you're moving the goal posts now. You said we've "lost to some of the worst teams in the league", not had lame wins against bad teams.

9 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

I'm so tired of the same old BS after a loss. Yup. We have as many losses as last year, great. What did that get us in 2022-2023? Almost lost to the Dolphins in the Wild Card with a third string QB (probably Dorsey's fault too) and then smoked in the divisional. What does that tell you about regular season record? It's meaningless. 

Make the playoffs and see what happens. Will we? I have no idea. Not if we keep playing like this. But luckily there's 10 more weeks of games for us and the playoffs aren't decided after week 7.

Everyone else in the AFC has to be feared and is elite... 

Burrow - smoked by the Browns, smoked by the freaking Titans, nearly lost to the Seahawks. "But they've turned the corner and are the same old Bengals again...we'll surely lose." Oh, okay. But that can't happen for us as well right? No sir, not possible for us to turn it around, because it doesn't fit your narrative. We better fire all sorts of people and make drastic changes just like the Bengals did when they were losing...oh...wait...they didn't. 

Herbert - they're 2-4.

Tua - last I checked, this same exact offense that hung 49 on them and blew them out. Week 18 is a long way away. 

Dak - lost to the ***** Cardinals; seems eerily similar to us losing today. Yet it's a hopeless game for us. 

Prior to today the Chiefs did not look amazing, nor have the Eagles.

Have we been ***** since London? Sure have. Is anyone going to get fired because of it while we're sitting at 4-3, potentially 1 game back of MIA if they lose tonight? Nope.

Is there time to fix the mess and see what happens? Sure is. 

We might suck. We might turn it around. Fact is, no one knows what's going to happen. It's call adversity. Strong teams rise against it. Weak teams fall to it. But the "fire <insert name here" and "cut/trade <insert name here>" bull#### is just absurd. Those things aren't going to happen given the current circumstances. 

So many of these threads, and I don't even mean you, just others in general, talk about being a "realist". It's not a realistic take though. It's a negative, pessimistic take.

A realistic take is that we lost three games and have looked liked dog ***** for the past three. A realistic take is that we also won the prior three and looked unbeatable. Yes injuries happened, but it was the same coaches and schemes. Players need to be better, injured or not. 

I'll fall asleep tonight hoping they can turn it around. Maybe they won't, but what good is there in me getting upset over something I have zero control over? To say "I was right, the rest of you are so stupid" on a football message board full of strangers if they suck? Neat - no thanks. 

When your defense has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese, it's not a overreaction.  Most of this forum complained that we did not do enough to fix the glaring holes you see with this team right now.   CB, LB, Safety, WR2.  Go back read some of the post this summer, and we were all right.  

Everyone in our division got better and we did not, accept for NE.  We are worse as a team right now,  than we have been for the past 6 seasons.

Dorsey was never the answer, McD is a F***** terrible situational coach and this team has always played down to its competition.  None of this has changed and in fact has gotten worse.

Now we see it on the field and now you want us to just sit back and watch this crap unfold right in front of your eyes, and we have to accept this without even the slightest whimper.

Please.............  This team is no SB contender and hasn't been since the 2020 season.

Get over it. 

McD and Dorsey in 2023 = 2023 Buffalo Bills losing season.

3 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Not sure why you quoted me since I have not advocated for any trades or firings.  But I will respond to your referenced point - this team is mentally weak and does not respond well to adversity, imho.  And it is a reflection of the team taking on the identity of their head coach.  

Apologies. Wasn't mean to be directed at you personally. Just generalizing, as I stated. Apologies again if it came across that way. 

And we can agree to disagree, but a mentally weak team doesn't rally to cause a fumble and go up by 3 with less than 2 minutes left in the fourth when losing the whole game. They go down to bad team, tell themselves they suck and get beaten like a disheveled puppy. 

By your own point "we've already lost as many games as last year" as if it were a valid measuring block. So were mentally weak then too at 13-3 with blizzards and injuries and all of the other bull####? Same coaches. Most of the same players. 

Just now, Nelius said:

All this is fair but you're moving the goal posts now. You said we've "lost to some of the worst teams in the league", not had lame wins against bad teams.

Did I say that, or someone else?  I honestly don't recall.  But when you say we've lost to a single bad team, I could say we beat a single good team.

1 minute ago, Vertig0 said:

Apologies. Wasn't mean to be directed at you personally. Just generalizing, as I stated. Apologies again if it came across that way. 

And we can agree to disagree, but a mentally weak team doesn't rally to cause a fumble and go up by 3 with less than 2 minutes left in the fourth when losing the whole game. They go down to bad team, tell themselves they suck and get beaten like a disheveled puppy. 

By your own point "we've already lost as many games as last year" as if it were a valid measuring block. So were mentally weak then too at 13-3 with blizzards and injuries and all of the other bull####? Same coaches. Most of the same players. 

Too many late game meltdowns for me to think otherwise.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

The fans have to be winners?  Nah, that's the team's effing job.

We should be desperate every year with Allen and it’s for reasons Buffalo fans will never admit. 

It’s still Buffalo - we aren’t going to be able to bring in just any UFA or coaches or execs because we are the farthest thing from a destination city.  

We’re not alone in that regard.  

But the way professional sports works these days that’s the reality.  

27 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

When your defense has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese, it's not a overreaction.  Most of this forum complained that we did not do enough to fix the glaring holes you see with this team right now.   CB, LB, Safety, WR2.  Go back read some of the post this summer, and we were all right.  

Everyone in our division got better and we did not, accept for NE.  We are worse as a team right now,  than we have been for the past 6 seasons.

Dorsey was never the answer, McD is a F***** terrible situational coach and this team has always played down to its competition.  None of this has changed and in fact has gotten worse.

Now we see it on the field and now you want us to just sit back and watch this crap unfold right in front of your eyes, and we have to accept this without even the slightest whimper.

Please.............  This team is no SB contender and hasn't been since the 2020 season.

Get over it. 

McD and Dorsey in 2023 = 2023 Buffalo Bills losing season.

Fun post.

I don't ever remember saying that you had to sit back and "watch this crap unfold without a whimper" - B word all you want.  

I said "make the playoffs and see what happens" - while also stating, numerous times, that the team is playing like dog ***** right now.  I also said that given that this team is 4-3 and only 1 game out of the division lead, no one is getting fired after Week 7. 

It's funny though - how "most of this forum complained" about CB, LB and S.  Yet this defense was elite after 4 games, stifling the most elite offense the game has seen in years just 7 days after they had scored 70 points.  CB wasn't an issue then, but wait...27 tears his achilles - just like you predicted tight?  Now CB is an issue.

And MLB - huge need that many did actually complain about - but after 4 games, Bernard wins Defensive Player of the Week and has made more plays in 2 games than Edmunds had in his entire career.  And after?  Milano, his partner in crime, goes down with a crippling injury along with our best DT.  Wouldn't be realistic to expect that his play is going to decline after that though, playing with a rookie OLB, right?

And S - yes of course - ***** JoPo for forcing a fumble to put us in position to take the lead of this game with less than 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  You're right - they've done nothing of note this year.

For you to ***** on a defense, down 4 starters, and arguably 4 pro-bowl caliber players is one thing - but for you to claim that the defense is swiss cheese, as predicted by the board, with absolutely no consideration to those 4 players being out of the lineup is just absolutely absurd.  CB wasn't a concern after MIA, until Tre got hurt.  MLB wasn't a concern after MIA, until Milano got hurt.  S - I dunno, maybe it's a concern, but I sure do remember a lot this board celebrating when JoPo was re-signed. 

Also - don't ever remember calling us a Super Bowl contender either.  I'm just tempering my expectations and choosing to take on a positive outlook.  Playing ***** football at the moment?  Sure are.  Can we turn it around?  Sure can.  Will we?  No idea, but I'll try to remain positive until we're out of it - I'm so sorry that this infuriates you so much.  "Get over it." 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Ok give us your dose of reality?  Reality is we are further away from a SuperBowl than we were three years ago. 

13 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

So what's your solution there, *hard* guy, huh? In the military, we want solutions and results, not excuses. So far all I see is you whining about whining... where are your solutions instead of whining about whining?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.