Taking the "Josh" out of Josh Allen's game

Returntoglory

Josh Allen is on pace to have his lowest rushing attempts in a season by a very large margin.

Changing his style of play is affecting his on field performance and his decision making process, IMHO.

I get the potential injury factor, but look at the by-product of this decision.

I feel it's constantly in his head "not to run" and his game is suffering because of this.

The number one weapon Josh has is his ability to run, and that weapon has now been silenced!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Josh Allen is on pace to have his lowest rushing attempts in a season by a very large margin.

Changing his style of play is affecting his on field performance and his decision making process, IMHO.

I feel it's constantly in his head "not to run" and his game is suffering because of this.

The number one weapon Josh has is his ability to run, and that weapon has now been silenced!

He's killing the offensive momentum by not running. And not for nothing but every time he's gotten injured he's been in the pocket. New England was piling on the blitzes because teams are starting to realize Josh really isn't going to run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Luka said:

He's killing the offensive momentum by not running. And not for nothing but every time he's gotten injured he's been in the pocket. New England was piling on the blitzes because teams are starting to realize Josh really isn't going to run. 

How many designed runs for Josh are being called? Exactly!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just said this.   They are afraid of the guy who throws 3 picks so they are settling for the guy who throws 5 yard passes.  Let him run.  Let him throw it downfield and score 30 even with 2 turnovers 

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

How many designed runs for Josh are being called? Exactly!

Like 3

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

Our success in run game with Devon was based on their fear of josh keeping it.  We have totally lost that.  

• Agree 2

Just now, Hebert19 said:

Just said this.   They are afraid of the guy who throws 3 picks so they are settling for the guy who throws 5 yard passes.  Let him run.  Let him throw it downfield and score 30 even with 2 turnovers 

Like 3

Do you mean the one yard, plow ahead plays for first down?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I'm watching Mahomes convert several 1st downs with his legs including a 3rd and 16 just now. Meanwhile our coaches have neutered our best player. I don't get it.

The difference between a good coach and a mediocre one. 

• Like (+1) 1

His issue was never running, it was always taking unnecessary contact. That part should’ve been coached out of him and not simply running all together. 

This coaching staff took the most dynamic QB in the league and took away a big part of what made him so special. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

His issue was never running, it was always taking unnecessary contact. That part should’ve been coached out of him and not simply running all together. 

This coaching staff took the most dynamic QB in the league and took away a big part of what made him so special. 

YES YES YES YES. 

McDorsey can’t get their head out of their arse

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Agreed. And I have to appreciate that you started a reasonable topic, that is very rare tonight.

He needs to start running more, both designed runs and scrambles.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

"Someone" has instructed the coaching staff to protect Josh at all costs.

Even though almost every injury he's suffered has been from inside the pocket. This coaching staff just doesn't get it. They're wasting the prime years of an elite QB.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Agreed. And I have to appreciate that you started a reasonable topic, that is very rare tonight.

He needs to start running more, both designed runs and scrambles.

Those who know, know this is not the old JA that were used to watching. 

He's constantly passing up scrambling opportunities.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Even though almost every injury he's suffered has been from inside the pocket. This coaching staff just doesn't get it. They're wasting the prime years of an elite QB.

YES! His window is closing. I admire Mc D's loyalty but his loyalty now needs to be his keeping his job! 

The play calling is so erratic.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

YES! His window is closing. I admire Mc D's loyalty but his loyalty now needs to be his keeping his job! 

The play calling is so erratic.

Taking away the designed runs and telling him to not scramble is actively hurting this team in a lot of ways and it's one of the main reasons why the offense is not functioning.  The thing is, they are trying to run the same offense as they have in years past without half, or more, of what made this offense great.  This team has been a shotgun based offense for several years now, and that's ok, providing you are still doing the same things you have always done out of that formation.

Over the past few years, you were able to keep defenses on their heels because on every play, they had no idea if it was going to be a run, pass, or Allen keeper.  They had to respect every option and defend every part of the field.  However, now that team know that there will never be a designed Allen run, and very often knowing that he will be throwing the ball away instead of scrambling, has neutered this offense.  Teams have to fear or respect for Allens running ability and they adjust their defense accordingly.  THey can play more press.  THey can play more man with their eyes on the WRs instead of having to worry about Allen ripping off a 40 yard run because they know it is not in the offense anymore.

Bottom line is you can't expect to run the same offense and get the same results you used to when you take away the biggest weapon you have in Allen's unpredictability with his legs.  Right now, he may as well be Mac Jones with a better arm because that is how defenses are treating him.  I guarantee you that if you ran the same offense you are right now, but throw in at least 2-3 designed Allen runs a quarter or even a half, more things would open up because defenses would be forced to watch out for Allen's legs.  They is why we are having success with PA from under center.....teams don't know whether it is a run or pass and Allen can freeze the LBs for that extra second or so and find open guys.  In shotgun, there is no mystery.  They can see whether the back has the ball immediately and they know Allen is never going to just run with it making everything more predictable.  

I get it....we want Allen to stay safe and play another decade+.  But we can't worry about that right now when we are trying to win a Super Bowl.  It's time to go balls to the wall and do everything we can to win.  We have a unicorn at QB.  Every play that we line up for, a defense should never know what is coming at them.  Every play should look like a run, pass, or the threat of an Allen designed run.  If not, defenses are going to continue not to respect the scheme and are just going to know what you are running before you run it.  That's not ideal.  It's time to let Allen free and I guarantee you other things will open up because of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm watching Mahomes convert several 1st downs with his legs including a 3rd and 16 just now. Meanwhile our coaches have neutered our best player. I don't get it.

Seriously, if he has a wide open field and no one is a high percentage throw, take the yards. Why would we take that from him he can slide, and he's great at avoiding taking a big hit on the move.

50 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

That version of Allen wasn't good enough to win. We tried it for 5 years. Maybe this version won't be good enough either, but it makes more sense than trying to Hollywood your way to a Super Bowl which we know doesn't work.

No designed runs, other than Qb sneaks, is fine by me.

It's the scrambling drill type plays, where he's "hesitating" IMO-to either run or pass.

My biggest issue is our offense has turned into a dink/dunk scheme.  Or trying too hard to attack with the run game.

We need to let Josh get his deep drops/allow the downfield routes to develop.

Just because a defense plays cover 2 against us, doesn't me we have to get rid of it under 3 seconds.  It's actually more beneficial to stretch the zone, but we've been more concerned with quick passing game/staying on schedule.  Yet we've been in more 3rd and long situations this season.

1 hour ago, Returntoglory said:

Could he just ***** once throw the ball when he hits his drop instead of trying to extend every play 8 seconds? 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

This plan or idea to make Josh a pocket passer is 90% of the offensive problems. Been saying this since the jags game 

Maybe he isn’t mentally capable at this point in his career and he need to run a watered down Lamar Jackson offense 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just let allen take over. I'd rather lose with my best player trying to carry the team than lose because Mac Jones led the team on a 75 yard drive in less than 2 minutes or because dawson knox drops a ball weekly. Just go let josh play. What's the worst that can happen? He turns it over 4 times and we add baker mayfield to Zach wilson and mac jones as qbs that beat this team? 

This team is going nowhere meaningful by containing josh. 

Taking Josh's running out of the game plan is absolutely moronic. Now defenses sit back in coverage and our Average O line doesnt protect Josh enough for him to pass let alone blow up enough people on run schemes. Its as if a spy from other teams is now on the Bills coaching staff giving bad advice to kill us from the inside. Or maybe its the "brilliance" of Ken Dorsey who has chosen to disconnect some of the fuel injectors from the Bills engine.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Could he just ***** once throw the ball when he hits his drop instead of trying to extend every play 8 seconds? 

Maybe he isn’t mentally capable at this point in his career and he need to run a watered down Lamar Jackson offense 

I'm starting to reach the point where I just don't think he has the football IQ and brain processing power to play this game at a level that matches his physical gifts, and that lack of mental ability is hampering his physical game. We see it all the time. He almost never throws at the top of his drop, except in 2 minute drills, where he looks unstoppable. Instead, he takes a snap, locks in on the #1 read(Diggs) the whole way through, panics when they aren't immediately open, panics and breaks the pocket, and then throws an ill-advised or poor quality pass on the run.

In the 3 good games he played this season he did a lot less of that, and in the 3 terrible games he played this season, he did a ton of it. Unfortunately for him, none of this is new, but rather goes back to his college days and maybe even before.

If he's ever going to overcome this, he needs A LOT more time in the classroom and maybe therapist of some sort or even a shaman that helps him clear his mind and figure out how to process information.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.