Caleb Williams demanding part ownership

CDogg20

16 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

Ball family of the NFL? I’d like to know more 

Super interesting take, great theory but banking on health and play is a hugeeeee risk

No more than any rookie really.

And as a UDFA, there's nothing stopping him from signing an equivalent of a 1st round pick contract. Or more.

If it was open bidding with the Vikings, Patriots, Titans, and Commanders, he could probably do pretty well.

I dont think it will happen. Nor do I think he's serious about the ownership thing, if that's even true. But I do like the player/ownership talk. Good for the players.

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

But that would never happen, I thought that for a minute and realized it would never work, someone would still take a shot at him in the 7th if nothing else, then what he holds out for a year goes back to the draft and see how much that raised his stock?

Oh I agree. It's 11pm, I'm high. This is what you get.

edit: To the bold, I think if he was "serious" about getting part ownership, once he got out of the top 3 he'd drop the demand and go to any team that isnt Chicago or Arizona.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And as a UDFA, there's nothing stopping him from signing an equivalent of a 1st round pick contract. Or more.

If it was open bidding with the Vikings, Patriots, Titans, and Commanders, he could probably do pretty well.

I dont think it will happen. Nor do I think he's serious about the ownership thing, if that's even true. But I do like the player/ownership talk. Good for the players.

Oh I agree. It's 11pm, I'm high. This is what you get.

Bruh…same 🤣 

idk if its good for the nfl though 

16 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

Confident people bet on themselves before others.    

While I do not see this effort being successful against the juggernaut of NFL owners I do like the fact that there are still those out there that question “what if” and follow through when they believe strongly enough that status quo isn’t necessarily good enough.   

Cartoonish naivete 

Yes, noble and principled Caleb Williams is truly sticking his neck out to make a stand

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m so glad everyone in this thread isn’t jumping to conclusions so incredibly fast without actually knowing if it’s true or not!!!

Haters gonna hate even if the report is true. I'm all for players asking for as much of the pie as they can get. The league is nothing without them.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Well, he's not the first to ask this. Aaron asked this from the Jets. The Jets didn't say no. The NFL League Office did. 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3489672/caleb-williams-reportedly-wants-partial-ownership-of-whatever-nfl-team-drafts-him

So basically, whoever was the 1st in the media to write this garbage didn't know what they were talking about. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Herbert is Josh Allen light 

Going back to Oregon he never had the killer instinct

They are not the same guy... 

They might be the same height and weight or close to it... But there arm strength , athleticism, and will the win do not come through the same on the football field

Caleb might be shorter at 6'2 ish.. But he's thick...A cannon, can extend the play inside or outside the pocket ... Throws on the run and is an A+ creator

Allen and mahomes are all pros who are A+ at creating... Crafty with big arms... Can move inside or outside the pocket and throw on run 

Sherbert is thicccc:wub: On top of that he literally has all the attributes you mention Caleb has.

There's no way this happens because it would lead to circumventing the cap.  For example, say Allen needs a new contract in a couple years.  If this was allowed, why wouldn't the Bills just say we will pay you a base salary of 100k and then give you x% of ownership in the team for a certain amount of years.  There is no way to calculate what that would be worth and you are not going to allow a team to have a 20k cap hit for example for a star player.  There is 0% chance this happens.

7 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Cartoonish naivete 

Yes, noble and principled Caleb Williams is truly sticking his neck out to make a stand

Easy bro.   Didn’t say anything about it being reasonable and certainly didn’t say anything about this individual specifically….so who exactly is naive?

Simply said that those who ask questions get answers and those who feel things could be better should pursue.    

Obviously not going to happen.

But if he could just find some way to avoid being drafted by one of those inept organizations that tend to finish near the top of the draft everywhere and instead got picked by a playoff team the way Rodgers, Mahomes and Allen did..........

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm reporting that the Bills got special dispensation to have their salary cap $100 million higher than any other team.  I haven't confirmed it yet, but that what I'm reporting.  

I’m from Saratoga, meet up and fight? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You never know how 21-year-old kids will develop

But not one GM will take Drake Maye over Caleb Williams

I've watched their entire careers for both of them... Maye is closer to a Herbert rn while Caleb can be a mahomes Josh Allen type 

He's 6'3 225 in the right places ... Can extend a play for 10 seconds with a laser beam

Drake Maye is a top 5 pick.. I've never heard of any of these rumors about Caleb but he's the #1 whenever he leaves 

Everywhere I've seen he's listed at 6'1" and 215#.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him measured at 6' at the Combine.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Everywhere I've seen he's listed at 6'1" and 215#.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him measured at 6' at the Combine.

I probably am a little high at 6'3

Even mahomes was 6'2 and change at the combine

He might be 6'1 7/8 223 or 6'2 even , but he looks thick out there... And his pocket awareness is the best in the country in college... Routinely extends plays 7 seconds with a Cannon

But my friend is in Oklahoma booster... Has met Caleb multiple times and swears he's 6'2

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I probably am a little high at 6'3

Even mahomes was 6'2 and change at the combine

He might be 6'1 7/8 223 or 6'2 even , but he looks thick out there... And his pocket awareness is the best in the country in college... Routinely extends plays 7 seconds with a Cannon

Yeah not sure what weight he'll come in at, but they typically overstate the height.  Which is why I think he'll come in under 6'1".

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah not sure what weight he'll come in at, but they typically overstate the height.  Which is why I think he'll come in under 6'1".

Read My last updated part

My friend is in Oklahoma booster who has met Caleb multiple times.. and he does swear he's 6'2... I've grilled him if he's 6 ft and he says he's definitely over that... Mike Vick was 5'11 7/8

I can see Caleb being 6'1 5/8 but he stands tall and isn't small out there ... I think he's bigger than DeShaun Watson

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, CDogg20 said:

Per reports, Caleb Williams is demanding part ownership of whatever team that drafts him. I wanna hear what my favorite people gave to say about this!

Personally I think this could potentially destroy his draft stock unless he backs off of it. Absolutely ludacris to think that much of yourself

2010 #1 pick (overall) rookie Sam Bradford held out of spring OTAs and demanded an (at the time) epic deal - 6 year, $78M, $50M guaranteed.  That led to the roookie wage scale, where nowadays rookies pretty much have standard deals with only a few points to negotiate.  They pretty much needed this, with free agency driving 2nd contracts up.

I don't think any of the owners wish to go back to the days when an unproven rookie who had yet to play a snap could shake them down for an (at the time) massive contract - not unless the salary cap and free agency operate differently.

It's not about what he thinks of himself - no problem with asking for what you want.  But he has to realize that there's a collective bargaining agreement, and part of that negotiation was the rookie wage scale. 

Which does not include ownership options.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Let’s see him have a meltdown in the “green room”  when he’s not picked in the 1st round🤣

I think a team will still draft him, the same way the Bills drafted Jim Kelly.  Then his choice will be, play for that team after signing the rookie wage scale contract for his draft position, or sit out.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Well, he's not the first to ask this. Aaron asked this from the Jets. The Jets didn't say no. The NFL League Office did. 

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3489672/caleb-williams-reportedly-wants-partial-ownership-of-whatever-nfl-team-drafts-him

The Jets didn't have to say "No", because they knew the league office would say "No" for them.  They don't want to go down the wormhole of having an annual debate with a team's ownership about the actual worth of a percentage share thus what should come off the salary cap for the player who is being compensated thus.

But this is even different - Aaron Rodgers is a vested veteran who can negotiate any monetary compensation and guarantees he likes.

Holding the line on the rookie wage scale is pretty critical to how teams operate in the current salary cap/free agency era.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Uhhhhh, maybe he should consider how a GM will factor in a percentage ownership with the salary cap?? 1% ownership of a 4 Billion valued team is $40 million knit wit. 

Exactly, it would lead to all sorts of headaches for the league and for the GM, trying to figure out what the actual ownership share is valued at thus what should come off the salary cap for it.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe it's a move to go undrafted and then he gets to be a Free Agent and have some say in where he starts his career. Might cost him some money upfront, but its all about the 2nd contract anyways. Look at Purdy.

I would be very surprised if he goes undrafted.  I would be surprised if he drops in the first round.  Someone will go for talent, and bet on the league's lawyers and their own to straighten him out.

2 minutes ago, chongli said:

Let's add to that Todd Marinovich and Matt Leinart.

But the list is much longer than that. Rob Johnson, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Matt Cassel all have something in common. They did nothing in the NFL (besides make money). Carson Palmer is also on that list, but maybe didn’t suck as much, but that doesn’t say much. USC is a bust factory for QBs. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I don't believe this is correct.  UDFA rookies still fall under the rookie wage scale.  They get league minimum salary, $750k in 2023.  The only negotiating points they get is their signing bonus, which is somewhere between $160 and $220k, and comes out of each team's budgeted allotment for rookies. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

But the list is much longer than that. Rob Johnson, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Matt Cassel all have something in common. They did nothing in the NFL (besides make money). Carson Palmer is also on that list, but maybe didn’t suck as much, but that doesn’t say much. USC is a bust factory for QBs. 

It has nothing to do with the school but the player

USC's number one job.. is to get a quarterback who wins in college for them immediately... That means college ready

That doesn't mean going to be a great quarterback in the NFL... Although going to USC doesn't disqualify that

They are two different games and USC doesn't care about professional football

But transcendent players can come from anywhere

Edited by Buffalo716

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I don't believe this is correct.  UDFA rookies still fall under the rookie wage scale.  They get league minimum salary, $750k in 2023.  The only negotiating points they get is their signing bonus, which is somewhere between $160 and $220k, and comes out of each team's budgeted allotment for rookies. 

That's what I was looking for, but the googs wasnt helping. Thanks!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.