If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Oh no not a McD is the greatest coach ever not to make a Superbowl or 

McD hasn't gotten the most out of this team and continues to not reach their potential.

At least since a poll as expected 70/30 split as most here worship McD (yes sarcastic use of the word worship).

And as expected when anyone questions McD the emoji's (reactions) are vomit, eye rolls, X's & angry

I think he's wasting Allen's best years and stunted his growth early (# never forget Peterman 😜).  Oh and #13 seconds.😡

Not reading 9 pages of "are you for him or against him".    

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

someone give a reasonable explanation of the difference between Mike McCarthy and McDermott other than McCarthy has actually won a Super Bowl

Mike McCarthy's intelligence and courage both resemble that of a chicken.

McDermott's do not.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not reading 9 pages of "are you for him or against him".    

Must be nice to look down on all the peons while you're dispensing your particular brand of wisdom. <_<

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, section122 said:

I ask everytime it comes up: what year were the Bills the best team in the league that they should have won it all? incredible amount of luck AND skill.

We were absolutely the best team in the NFL during the 2021 playoffs. We were clicking on all cylinders and I will forever believe that 13 seconds stole a Lombardi trophy from this city.

• Agree 2

Only if he doesn’t fire Dorsey,

😂

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

Mike McCarthy's intelligence and courage both resemble that of a chicken.

McDermott's do not.

Must be nice to look down on all the peons while you're dispensing your particular brand of wisdom. <_<

Not at all, just came to the thread late and not wanting to read 9 pages, where many of the arguments (mine included) have been stated before. 

Seeing you're in the pro-McD camp, not surprised you'd highlight my post. 

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After listening to McD’s presser today and hearing him talk about what he wants out of the offense in terms of execution, getting in rhythm, putting players in a position to succeed, I think McD is in more control of the direction of each unit than he’s ever been. 

I think the last four years he’s been very much more of an administrator. But it feels like since he took over the defense he talks with much more purpose about the other units on the team. 

That to me is a good thing. 

History will look back on the McDermott Era as one where he couldn't take a team that was as good as any...with a QB that is as good as any, anywhere besides the divisional playoff round.

There's no reason to believe this changes this season, and major changes in personnel are on the horizon.

They should move on, but they won't until ownership can't ignore the noise any longer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have said McD has two years. If this year they make the AFC title I think he is safe for probably the foreseeable future regardless of result. But if the Bills can't make it there and lose early again with the offense not fully finding its way I 100% think 2024 would have a lot riding on his future. You do not change coaches unless you have a candidate you legitimately can be better, but the window is real with Josh and I have figured they have to about 2030 which Josh is 33 before you really see the frame moving. If you move on whoever you have is getting the last bunch of years with Allen in his prime still so you better damn well be sure it truly is the move.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

The question posed is assuming Allen starts/plays every game this season. 

My vote is yes. 

My answer is "depends." How did they "not get there?" Did they play in the Divisional and play a tough-hard fought game and just lost? Then no. Or...do they show up unprepared with this ragtag no identity offense still misfiring and get outcoached? Then probably yes or it should at least be discussed if a move is necessary. 

Edited by RkFast

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

After listening to McD’s presser today and hearing him talk about what he wants out of the offense in terms of execution, getting in rhythm, putting players in a position to succeed, I think McD is in more control of the direction of each unit than he’s ever been. 

I think the last four years he’s been very much more of an administrator. But it feels like since he took over the defense he talks with much more purpose about the other units on the team. 

If McD is more in control of the offense I’m not sure that’s a good thing. He’s the opposite of an offensive mind. If he’s in charge, which I don’t believe you are wrong, then look for super conservative offensive play. No Allen being Allen, much more rushing into the backs of your OLmen. 

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seeing you're in the pro-McD camp, not surprised you'd highlight my post. 

Actually I wasn't commenting on your football opinion; just observing the fact that you feel the need to tell everybody else that their opinions are not worth reading.

Keep up the great work. :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I want to see the results on the field. He has had to focus too much on defense to pay attention to the offense.

It's hard to wear a HC hat and DC hat. Points are scored on offense. Easier to be an OC/HC

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Dorsey fired this year, McD fired next year.

to me, it depends: does McD try to spark the offense if needed by changing play calling duties, or does he waste a year like he did with Frazier. 

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is simple math. As long as Josh plays, we're almost guaranteed making the playoffs.  But if you want to beat quality polished playoff teams, you need a much better offensive HC.  

Or OC with full control of the offense. 

41 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The 49ers HAD NO AVAILABLE QBs.

Or perhaps you'd forgotten that.

neither did  MIA, and Cincy lacked an OL, but McD let Frazier do his thing.  

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Comparing him to Frazier he is an improvement. Cosidering the injuries we've had he still has the D playing at a solid level

he could be like Dick LeBeau.  great DC, not there as a HC.  that’s not a bad thing, some people have diff talents.  if I’m McD I give Dorsey one more game, if we still look lost, Brady calls the plays.  off-season look for the best OC available.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

this.

"remember the drought???" is a bad argument to keep a HC

100%. 

what’s criminal is the fact that McD and this org has had Allen for the last 3 seasons playing at all pro levels and squandered it so far. There’s no legitimate excuses for that imo. 

• Agree 1

Just now, mrags said:

100%. 

what’s criminal is the fact that McD and this org has had Allen for the last 3 seasons playing at all pro levels and squandered it so far. There’s no legitimate excuses for that imo. 

Plus McBeane promote stasis.  Daboll and then Dorsey----and we are still are wondering "what's wrong with the Offense?" and "what's wrong with Josh?"

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plus McBeane promote stasis.  Daboll and then Dorsey----and we are still are wondering "what's wrong with the Offense?" and "what's wrong with Josh?"

I believe that McDermott could lost every single game the rest of the way and he still won’t get fired. He’ll have Dorsey as his scapegoat. And even though it was his decision to take over the defense he’ll use the lack of a DC as a scapegoat as well. But next year is the year that he has lost all excuses I think. Even if he gets new OC and DC that don’t produce, he is out of excuses because he picked them. But imo Terry looks at him like a savior and he likely doesn’t get fired. Beane might even feel the desire to fire him and I think Terry won’t allow it. In fact I bet Beane would be let go before McD ever is. Terry loves McClappy that much 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

With the key injuries we've had, I don't know if the Bills have one of the top two rosters in the AFC.   I don't think they do.  

So why the do-or-die demand to reach the AFCCG?

Part of coaching is about acquiring and assessing talent on all levels. Not simply the starters.

McDermott made a serious infraction when he deemed Elam and Williams were capable backups. Elam came in unprepared and looked like he had not been coached. If not for his able play last year this would be 100% on him. We know he can at least serve some reps.

That they believed Williams could offer more than Klein or others at LB in a backup role was the biggest mistake I've seen. McDermotts first choice was Williams. When he struggled Dobson went in. Why did it take real game time to evaluate Dobson? Why did they evaluate their MLB's as capable enough last year only to have to go get Klein when they realized their mistake too late?

Same with Marlowe losing out over Johnson.

McDermott is not doing good at evaluating his own talent needs. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

At some point it has to be discussed

If we accept that our SB window is based around Allen's career it seems obvious to me the best HC for the job would be the guy we the background to maximize his potential

No offense to McDermott but I don't think that's him 

Unfortunately he gets a pass this year because of key defensive injuries ( Tre Milano Jones ) but i will say the offense looks like cat throw up and it better get fixed soon because at this rate we will be watching the playoffs not in them. I need to see they are serious though about making a run so there needs to be a key acquisition at the trade deadline. Davante adams since only diggs can get open or maybe a good corner to shore up a pretty thin secondary.

I voted "no", but it really depends on HOW we fail to get to the AFCCG....

I'm being realistic - the injury bug can decimate any team at any time. Heck, I am frankly amazed at how well the DEFENSE is holding up, given our losses.

If Diggs or Josh go down? Even making the playoffs this year could be hard.

However - if we get to the playoffs again, and then lay another egg like we did with the Bengals - that is more a coaching issue. THEN I would consider alternatives...

• Thank you (+1) 1

The question ought to be, if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year, should McDermott be fired?

If they play as poorly going forward as they did the last two games, they're going to struggle to finish above .500.

Losing White, Milano, and Jones hurts the defense but the defense is still playing better than the offense, which can't blame the lousy O line of yesteryear for their struggles.  And Josh looks like he's playing well, protecting the ball, hitting open receivers, and running with success but only when necessary.  So what's left?  Gimme a D, gimme an O, gimme an R...

Just now, oldmanfan said:

People always think the grass is greener, but many more times than not the grass actually becomes a dark brown color.  Ask Broncos fans.

Lol

Broncos fans would know they fired John Fox after 4 straight division titles and early playoff exits, then hired Kubiak who won the Super Bowl the very next year

Not necessarily fired but he should be demoted in the sense that his is no longer in charge of the draft.

I know that most folks believe that he is not in charge but his first season here (before the arrival of Beane) was a clear indicator that he was/is and looking at his early round picks, nothing has changed.

Hey, jmo.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.