If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

At some point it has to be discussed

If we accept that our SB window is based around Allen's career it seems obvious to me the best HC for the job would be the guy we the background to maximize his potential

No offense to McDermott but I don't think that's him 

I agree 100%.  If we don't make it this year, then Terry has to do the hard thing. I honestly think that if Kim were still here running the team,  he would have been gone after how the team didnt show up for Cincinnati. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Negan said:

If they miss the playoffs this year, Dorsey is probably fired.  Another year of missing the playoffs and McDermott will be fired imo.

I disagree, and say McDermott and Dorsey have to be fired. At what point does he stop being allowed to throw coaches that he hired, under the bus?  I will say again, Terry will have virtually his pick of HC's. I would also like to see what Beane could do not being under McDermotts thumb to be totally honest.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Making the playoffs was the goal when we drafted Allen. 

I have not forgotten the past and McDermott absolutely deserves credit for helping make the Bills a perennial playoff team. 

But we are beyond making the playoffs defining success. 

This regime has had five years to build and coach a team around a top tier QB that can not only make the playoffs, but to get into and win a Super Bowl. 

They took many steps forward and have since been taking steps back. 

Another early playoff exit will be another step back … and another year of Josh Allen pissed away. 

Piss poor coaching lost us the 13-seconds game. 

Piss poor coaching (and playing) led to an embarrassing playoff loss against Cincinnati. 

And those are two years following an AFCCG appearance. 

The trend is heading in the wrong direction. 

McDermott is the common denominator. 

This 100%.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Here's something for you knuckleheads:

Do you trust terry pegula to hire a great hc?

Be honest with yourselves, you KNOW you don't.

This shouldn't be relevant to the decision on McDermott but HELL NO. Terry has hired one good HC-GM combo in multiple attempts across two franchises. His reluctance to move on from them may in part be that he knows he sucks at this. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

The question posed is assuming Allen starts/plays every game this season. 

My vote is yes. 

The problem with a set "goal" like the AFCCG is there are always variables. If the only rule is Allen starting every game is the only one, I vote no.

It's football and a lot can happen on the field. Did we make the divisional round and happen to run into a buzz saw of a team? Did we get hosed by poor officiating? Did they have a game much like 13 seconds where they were excellent on the field? 

Here's my opinion. If the Bills make the playoffs and show up again like the did against Cincinnati, then yes a discussion should be had. If the loss is solely on poor coaching, then yes a discussion should be had. 

All that said, in my opinion if the Bills don't get it done soon then perhaps a "mutual parting of ways" may be what's best for the team and McDermott.

The McDermott / Allen combination is already in nearly unprecendented status. They have been together a long time without advancing to the Super Bowl.  Actually the longest combination since the 1970's (Madden/Stabler).  NFL head coaching sometimes looks like a terrible burnout job (see Dick Vermeil).  My personal assessment based on what little I see on TV during the games and in interviews is that McDermott might be suffering a bit from burnout.  Assuming that speculation is correct, that all militates towards making a change.  

However, if in the post-season, the Bills seem to be meaningfully better than the post-season Bills have the past several seasons, the coaching staff should be retained. 

Separately, fear of returning to a playoff drought with Allen and without McDermott borders on being a true mental illness. This drought derangement syndrome should not factor into any decision making. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This shouldn't be relevant to the decision on McDermott but HELL NO. Terry has hired one good HC-GM combo in multiple attempts across two franchises. His reluctance to move on from them may in part be that he knows he sucks at this. 

Is it possible that Beane could be responsible for hiring a new HC.  My understanding is that the GM hiring the coach is a pretty common method. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

My vote is yes. 

If you weren’t the top performer at your company, you should get fired as well. 

I vote yes for you. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

No.  He should be kept just to annoy those who have been calling for him to be fired, some for years.

I am SURE there are things he could have done to prevent injuries like putting all of the important players on IR ahead of time but that would not have necessarily helped record.

Time for some to take off CHINAGATE second hand jersey and show their other team.

On a side note, injury prevention was a big theme when the Bills opened their new/renewed training center. You know, with the state-of-the-art pre-hab facilities and such. I'm not sure they are doing any better than the rest of the league on that front.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

This team under Beane and McDermott has had tremendous success.  With Milano and White on IR no shame in losing to Mahomes, Tua, Burrow, or whoever knocks us out of the playoffs.  People seem to forget the misery under Donahoe,  Levy, Whaley, Nix, and Brandon and coaching stiffs Williams, Mularkey, Gailey, Jauron and Ryan.  Geez!!!!!   :wallbash:

It all comes down to QB, if any of those coaches had Josh Allen we would be in the same spot

If the Pats part ways with Bill Belichick, then I would kick McDermott to the curb in a NY minute if I were Terry Pegula. The results speak for themselves when Bill has had an elite level QB and a solid roster to work with. I soured on McDermott after 13 seconds. That was a fire able offense. Hate the guy all you want but he knows how to win in the playoffs and win Super Bowls. Plus, I think Bill would love to win a Super Bowl with another team besides NE. Just like Brady did.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is where I’m at. I’m firmly in the “yes” category here. He did a nice job rebuilding the culture but that is now settled. I’m not impressed by his record. His record has not exceeded the talent imo. That’s how I judge coaching. “Is your record better than if __ was coaching here?” I don’t see it with McDermott. There are dozens of guys that could have produced the exact same results with these rosters. They need someone that can elevate them to the next level. I said it before the year and I’ll say it again, unless they take the next step it’s time for a change while you still have prime Josh Allen.

Someone on here once made a brilliant comparison calling Sean, Doug Collins for those early Bills teams. He had Jordan and they became contenders. Once they moved on to Phil Jackson, they became 6-time champions. That really stuck with me and feels like such a fair comparison. We need more from our coaching staff than we are currently getting.

That's not the only example from the NBA. I seem to remember Rick Carlisle took the Pistons to the playoffs after a while, they still upgraded the position with Larry Brown and went on to win two championships.

The issue is finding that upgrade, but at some point it can and it must be done.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Here's something for you knuckleheads:

Do you trust terry pegula to hire a great hc?

Be honest with yourselves, you KNOW you don't.

Wouldn't that be Beane's job. If Terry cleans house, then no I don't. But if McDermott is the only one fired then I would trust Beane to make the hire.

7 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

This team under Beane and McDermott has had tremendous success.  With Milano and White on IR no shame in losing to Mahomes, Tua, Burrow, or whoever knocks us out of the playoffs.  People seem to forget the misery under Donahoe,  Levy, Whaley, Nix, and Brandon and coaching stiffs Williams, Mularkey, Gailey, Jauron and Ryan.  Geez!!!!!   :wallbash:

“We were bad for years, so we should be ecstatic about continually falling short of expectations now” …. I’ll never understand this logic. I guess being good but never good enough is good enough for some fans 🙄

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

We won’t make it to the afc championship game. Losing in the wildcard seems most likely right now.  Besides Miami we haven’t beat anyone good and we’re losing to teams we shouldn’t. 

The Jets are proving to be a good team because of their great defense. Even though they have a scrub at QB. Both Hall and Wilson are elite level playmakers. Jacksonville is a good team. Many had them picked to win the division. Which bad teams have the Bills lost to this year?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Wouldn't that be Beane's job. If Terry cleans house, then no I don't. But if McDermott is the only one fired then I would trust Beane to make the hire.

McDermott hired Beane, not the other way around. If McDermott goes, Beane does too

Too many unknown variables right now.

Failure to make the playoffs would be a firm yes, time to make a change from me. That’s falling way short of expectations with this roster. 

Another beat down in the playoffs like last season will be the moment where it’s just best for the team to go in a different direction. 

Even with our injuries though I look at the AFC as very much wide open. I still think the AFC Championship is an attainable goal as no one team really looks dominant.

He is doing a great job coaching the Defense and I think we are finally seeing the dline play how he has envisioned for the past number of years. They need to figure out the Offense imo. That falls on Dorsey and maybe even Beane to make a move..

Does Beane get a pass? Mcd basically brought him in.   Whiffed on a number of draft picks.. maybe not aggressive enough to put us over the top? I still wonder if one survives while one does not. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whether it should or shouldn't be relevant isn't relevant, honestly. It's a legitimate consideration, because for every McVay, there's a dozen Staleys

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

McDermott hired Beane, not the other way around. If McDermott goes, Beane does too

Terry will decide who stays and goes. You might be right but if Terry decides McDermott is the main reason for these playoff failures, then I could see him keeping Beane and let him hire the next HC.

The last game last year. The first game this year. The London $#!+ show and now the Giants. This team is showing up not ready to play. That does not bode well for a team that is built to be a perennial contender. Someone is not getting the best out of their players or putting them in position to succeed. If this isn't reversed very soon someone should be sharpening the axe.

Edited by bmur66
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

My vote is yes. 

Yes. IMO it should have already happened so I’d be on board with it. But realistically it depends on specifics this season that we don’t have yet so I’ll let it play out first. I think the Pegulas give him 2024 regardless based on the roster and his contract (as well as Beane’s). 

But to your point, I loathe the main arguments against moving on that I heard last off-season:

- brought us out of our malaise and became a very good team

- good performance every season and are in the mix for playoffs/SB every year (aka it could be worse with others in charge)

The reality is that we have a top 3 QB. With competent roster building and coaching we should be in the mix for a championship every season because of that alone. Yet we’ve only made it to the AFCC game once - and McD blew our trip to the SB with egregiously poor management at the end. To me that’s underperformance. If it happens this season, then can him. 

One last point of frustration: Zero playoff wins against teams with a realistic shot at a championship. Zero. What has been the best team we’ve beaten in the playoffs under McD/Beane? Probably the Ravens with a gimpy Lamar missing part of the game. And I don’t think that qualifies. If that doesn’t change bigly, then we need to move on. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 2

These tired and worn out "Fire McD.. wasting Allen's best years" crusades never address the next more important question: And replace him with who? I especially love the arrogant statements along the lines of "Who wouldn't want to work with Josh Allen"

Name the new coach and why you think:

• he would be a step up from McD
  • he will be available
  • he'd be interested in the Bills
  • his family would be willing to move to WNY (we've lost a couple there)
  • he would work well with Beane
  • Pegs would be willing to eat the remaining 4 years of McD's contract

I caution against naming any college coaches. Most want nothing to do with the NFL. The ones who try are often wash-outs.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no world in which McDermott goes and Beane stays. 

Sure, there is. Terry Pegula the most powerful man in Bills land may decide to keep Beane and fire McDermott. Former Jets coach Adam Gase recommended Joe Douglas for the Jets GM position. Douglas is still there and Gase is coaching HC football somewhere. So, it can happen.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Sure, there is. Terry Pegula the most powerful man in Bills land may decide to keep Beane and fire McDermott. Former Jets coach Adam Gase recommended Joe Douglas for the Jets GM position. Douglas is still there and Gase is coaching HC football somewhere. So, it can happen.

These two are not those two. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

My vote is yes. 

Good for you

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

These two are not those two. 

At the end of the day, it's Terry's call. If he wants them back, they will be back. If he wants to clean house, then they are both gone. If he wants to keep one and fire the other than that will happen. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I voted no.  However, if they actually did fire him, they better have a plan B ready to roll.  There better be someone they know will succeed.  I don’t want to fire him for a hopeful up-and-coming coordinator.  

Assuming he is available after this season.

OIP.yO2Xn-SBygoxRLfJ5gaS9QHaE7?pid=ImgDe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.