If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

The question posed is assuming Allen starts/plays every game this season. 

My vote is yes. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Look too many people fear going back to the drought days if he goes, and there is just no way.   Anyone besides 6-7 current HC's would give their left nut to coach this team.

My fear is being stuck in neutral for all of Allen's career.   McDermott has a losing playoff record, and if we can't make it back to at least the AFCCG then yeah, we need a change.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At some point it has to be discussed

If we accept that our SB window is based around Allen's career it seems obvious to me the best HC for the job would be the guy we the background to maximize his potential

No offense to McDermott but I don't think that's him 

• Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I dont even like mcd at this point but its still a no from me. McD is good but he has a few mental blocks preventing him from being great. 

I think if we stop making playoffs or something like that then maybe i would consider.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

This team under Beane and McDermott has had tremendous success.  With Milano and White on IR no shame in losing to Mahomes, Tua, Burrow, or whoever knocks us out of the playoffs.  People seem to forget the misery under Donahoe,  Levy, Whaley, Nix, and Brandon and coaching stiffs Williams, Mularkey, Gailey, Jauron and Ryan.  Geez!!!!!   :wallbash:

Edited by Mr. Wonderful
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I dont even like mcd at this point but its still a no from me. McD is good but he has a few mental blocks preventing him from being great. 

I think if we stop making playoffs or something like that then maybe i would consider.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

This team under Beane and McDermott has had tremendous success.  With Milano and White on IR no shame in losing to Mahomes, Tua, Burrow, or whoever knocks us out of the playoffs.  People seem to forget the misery under Donahoe,  Levy, Whaley, Nix, and Brandon and coaching stiffs Williams, Mularkey, Gailey, Jauron and Ryan.  Geez!!!!!   :wallbash:

Making the playoffs was the goal when we drafted Allen. 

I have not forgotten the past and McDermott absolutely deserves credit for helping make the Bills a perennial playoff team. 

But we are beyond making the playoffs defining success. 

This regime has had five years to build and coach a team around a top tier QB that can not only make the playoffs, but to get into and win a Super Bowl. 

They took many steps forward and have since been taking steps back. 

Another early playoff exit will be another step back … and another year of Josh Allen pissed away. 

Piss poor coaching lost us the 13-seconds game. 

Piss poor coaching (and playing) led to an embarrassing playoff loss against Cincinnati. 

And those are two years following an AFCCG appearance. 

The trend is heading in the wrong direction. 

McDermott is the common denominator. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

All those guys got canned and they didn't have the benefit of a Josh Allen at QB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It will always depend on circumstance. But each year it doesn't happen will bring me closer. I would probably get there if we lose handily before the championship game, put up a 10 burger, give up 40 points, something like that, especially if Johnson is ready to move up. That said, I don't think Terry plans on moving on for a loooooong time.

• Agree 3

He should have been fired after the first KC playoff game after exposing the yellow streak down his back. He shouldn't have even been in a position to steal our first super bowl 12 months later by crapping all over himself in those 13 seconds. He's a glorified DB coach who lucked into a genetic freak at QB and the sooner the Bills move on from him the better.

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

My vote is yes. 

I thought he should've been fired Sunday night. He obviously has no clue how to coach in big situations. Yes, they won against the Giants. But no f'n points til the 4th quarter?? I told my brothers and cousins, bet your house on the Giants +15.5. I told the guy next to me, the Bills might not even score 15 pts. I would've made a nice penny if I hadn't cashed out my fanduel account. I'm such an idiot. Glad for the ugly dub though. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This question lacks so much context. 

I ask everytime it comes up: what year were the Bills the best team in the league that they should have won it all?

The afccg year they were decimated at wr. 

13 seconds happened in the divisional round and the Chiefs lost to the Bengals who lost to the Rams.  

Last year they were without hyde, miller, jones and were starting dean marlowe in the playoffs.

The unfortunate fact is mahomes and burrow are the only qbs in the league on par with Allen.  It makes the afc incredibly hard to come out of.  Making the super bowl involves an incredible amount of luck AND skill.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So it really depends how the season goes

If we lose more games than is expected and limping to the playoffs, maybe

I don’t anticipate that though what I’m seeing as a team that installed a new offensive scheme concept in 12 personnel that is figuring some things out on Offense and they go into the playoffs winning on all cylinders

Then, no way should you file the coaches

• Like (+1) 1

If he doesn't make the playoffs with a healthy Allen and Diggs then yes he should be fired no matter what.  Other than that you'd have to consider all the circumstances he was dealing with if the Bills make another early playoff exit.  Moving on from him shouldn't be off the table though (although I think it is anyways in Pegula's mind).

• Like (+1) 2

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2023-10-16-colin-cowherd-says-josh-allen-could-quickly-deteriorate-like-cam-newton/

Colin Cowherd:

“There’s a little ‘Jim Kelly’ with Josh Allen. Jim Kelly spent 11 years in Buffalo. Big, strong-armed, six division titles, dominated his division, four Super Bowls, zero trophies. Buffalo could never get the brilliance of Montana and Walsh in San Francisco, the dynamic Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson, or the toughness of Parcells and the New York Giants. No trophies with Jim Kelly in 11 years and I feel like I’m seeing the same thing [with Josh Allen]. Great quarterback, really good roster, and I feel like they’re wasting his prime. How many years are we going to give Sean McDermott to figure out the offensive line? It’s been like six years now and it’s still inconsistent. How about the run-game? Middle of the pack in the NFL. It disappears some Sundays. They developed one weapon, Stefon Diggs, and they had to go trade for him. I feel like I’m seeing Jim Kelly again.

This transcendent, all-time talent-- big, getting hit, pounded away... Never forget how quickly Big Ben and Cam aged in this league, and how gracefully Tom Brady did. Cam didn’t get hit. Cam, Big Ben, Josh Allen; reminds of the same player. Run over linebackers, leap over safeties; those windows are very short. Josh Allen’s prime is much shorter than a quarterback who’s more pocket-driven. These windows for these big guys who run around... The first 7 or 8 years you’re like ‘IT’S GOING TO LAST FOREVER!’... Cam and Big Ben, they aged FAST, and it’s coming for Josh Allen. They have got to give him a better and consistent run-game.

They’ve got to get him more than one-great wide receiving weapon. Bengals have three receivers that always get open. The Rams found another one outside of Cooper Kupp in the fourth or fifth round this year. Either they can’t find them in the draft of they can’t develop them. They’re as good as Josh Allen is.

Brady has won Super Bowls and he wasn’t slinging it all over the field. Allen is all-time stuff. In terms of Mahomes, he’s bigger stronger, and faster. Mel Kiper had him as the tenth-best quarterback prospect in the history of the league, they didn’t have Mahomes there. He is unbelievable. No quarterback is great 17 weeks, but I feel like this with USC and Caleb Williams, and Buffalo and Josh Allen... You can have a great quarterback but you can’t be reliant on him to be Superman.” 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

My vote is yes. 

Dorsey fired this year, McD fired next year.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

You gotta can Dorsey, right? That would be my first move. Seems like he’s being set up to be the scape goat (and rightfully so) in the event that happens, but I’m not thinking like that yet. Enjoy the season and stop worrying so much. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

My vote is yes. 

No.  He should be kept just to annoy those who have been calling for him to be fired, some for years.

I am SURE there are things he could have done to prevent injuries like putting all of the important players on IR ahead of time but that would not have necessarily helped record.

Time for some to take off CHINAGATE second hand jersey and show their other team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is simple math. As long as Josh plays, we're almost guaranteed making the playoffs.  But if you want to beat quality polished playoff teams, you need a much better offensive HC.  

This is where I’m at. I’m firmly in the “yes” category here. He did a nice job rebuilding the culture but that is now settled. I’m not impressed by his record. His record has not exceeded the talent imo. That’s how I judge coaching. “Is your record better than if __ was coaching here?” I don’t see it with McDermott. There are dozens of guys that could have produced the exact same results with these rosters. They need someone that can elevate them to the next level. I said it before the year and I’ll say it again, unless they take the next step it’s time for a change while you still have prime Josh Allen.

Someone on here once made a brilliant comparison calling Sean, Doug Collins for those early Bills teams. He had Jordan and they became contenders. Once they moved on to Phil Jackson, they became 6-time champions. That really stuck with me and feels like such a fair comparison. We need more from our coaching staff than we are currently getting.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

I don't know yet. It totally depends how the season plays out. 

Personally I don't see this as a Superbowl team this year in any event. I was 50/50 before we lost the guys to injuries. Now I lean towards no it isn't. 

There are ways it could go where I'd support a Head Coaching change. 

The reality is, however, barring a total collapse McDermott and Beane are going nowhere this year. Terry just extended them and remains committed to them. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

McDermott is going nowhere. Nor should he. They just gave him a contract extension. Why can’t people get that through their heads smh 

Doesn't really mean much in the NFL but I do think Pegula will give McDermott more time even when the public sentiment goes 90% to 10% in favor of firing him.  He's an admirer of the Steelers organization for sure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Doesn't really mean much in the NFL but I do think Pegula will give McDermott more time even when the public sentiment goes 90% to 10% in favor of firing him.  He's an admirer of the Steelers organization for sure.

If the Bills go 4-13 like Arizona did McDermott and Beane are in trouble. But it would take that sort of disaster for Pegula to fire them after this season IMO.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills go 4-13 like Arizona did McDermott and Beane are in trouble. But it would take that sort of disaster for Pegula to fire them after this season IMO.

We'd have to lose 11 straight.  LOL.  I agree though that he's way safer than most fans here would prefer.

At some point he has to lead this team over the hump. He has the team to do it with, but there are many moving parts and pieces. We have lost 2 All Pro caliber players off our defense for the season. Then we lost another who was playing at a Pro Bowl level on the interior. We are now down 3 of our 11 on defense for the rest of the year most likely.  That's a HUGE loss, each of those players on this team. I'm not making excuses for McDermott, but there's a reason the next man up is not the man already on the field. I hope this year more mirrors 2021 than 2022. In 2021 we got hot the last month of the season, after halftime in the Tampa game, and rode it through the Playoffs. If not for the 13 seconds debacle, I think we hoist the Lombardi. Still, if this team loses out to a hotter team in the Playoffs before the AFCCG, I don't think McDermott should get canned depending on how it goes down. Only if it looks like he's completely lost the team. I don't foresee that happening. But if he does, and anyone can see the signs, then it's time for him to go. 

Edited by H2o
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

My vote is yes. 

My simple question for you Gugny is, replace him with who? I mean if the Bills could get Jim Harbaugh from Michigan.. maybe?? (He did go to the NFCCG with Kapernick)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

My simple question for you Gugny is, replace him with who? I mean if the Bills could get Jim Harbaugh from Michigan.. maybe?? (He did go to the NFCCG with Kapernick)

I don’t know who. 

But one who specializes in offense would be a start. 

Finding the right coach isn’t easy.

But keeping a head coach who’s proven he’s incapable of taking a team to the next level will never be the correct decision. 

If simply making the playoffs is the goal, then yeah … McDermott’s the guy. 

That shouldn’t be the goal for a team with Josh Allen at QB. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

McDermott is going nowhere. Nor should he. They just gave him a contract extension. Why can’t people get that through their heads smh 

New contracts mean nothing except the team will have salary implications going forward. Players recently given huge contracts get cut or traded every year.  Sean simply isn’t a good enough Head Coach. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.