If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

Gugny

378 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills Don’t Make it to the AFCCG, Should McDermott Be Fired?

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Marvin Lewis was the HC for Cincy for 16 years, made the playoffs 7 times and was 0-7 in all his playoff appearances.

I think you're a little off with this one.

Agree 100%.  There is NO comparison between the playoff success of McD versus Lewis.

As an aside my answer to the threads question is NO.  What becomes dicey IMO is if Allen remains healthy and the Bills miss the playoffs then a conversation will need to be had.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

Everyone here knows its incredibly hard to win a Super Bowl right?  11 Coaches have won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years in the NFL.  So you guys want to fire the best coach in Bills history if the team doesnt get to the AFC Championship Game?

Should the Ravens fire John Harbaugh?  Sure he won a Superbowl, but that was 2012.   He's missed the playoffs 6 of 10 years since, and hasnt made it past the divisional round in 10 years.     Is anyone going to argue John Harbaugh is a bad football coach?

Bottom line is you have to be in the playoffs to win championships and our current head coach has missed the playoffs 1 time in 6 years.   If McDermott were to be fired he'd have another head coaching job this offseason.

For the people calling Mcdemott Marvin Lewis, stop, you're making yourself look like a fool.   Lewis has a .511 career winning percentage, and never won a playoff game.     That dude got 16 years, and you guys are trying to fire McDermott, a guy with the best winning percentage in Bills history, and 4 playoff wins in 6 years, because you dont like that he claps a lot or because Daboll is more fun. 

Top ten defense in 4 of 7 years.   Top ten offense in 4 of 7 years.   Brought your team a franchise QB.  Wins constantly.      Stop with the fire McDermott nonsense.    You dont fire a proven winner for an up and coming coordinator. 

I suspect you guys all want someone more like Kyle Shanahan?   The guy who has lost more games than McDermott?  The offensive genius who has made it one round further than McDermott and still lost?  The guy who who has missed the playoffs 3 of 6 years?   Guess what, Kyle Shanhan was never coming to Buffalo.  Do you know why?  Because before Mcdermott and Beane the Bills were a trash franchise who had to hire guys like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey because real coaches didnt want to come here.  

Please for the love of God, put a little respect on McDermott's name instead of constantly complaining.   He brought this franchise back to legitimacy.  The people complaining about McDermott are the type of guys who marry a supermodel and then complain about her one leg being longer than the other.  Please stop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

If the Pats part ways with Bill Belichick, then I would kick McDermott to the curb in a NY minute if I were Terry Pegula. The results speak for themselves when Bill has had an elite level QB and a solid roster to work with. I soured on McDermott after 13 seconds. That was a fire able offense. Hate the guy all you want but he knows how to win in the playoffs and win Super Bowls. Plus, I think Bill would love to win a Super Bowl with another team besides NE. Just like Brady did.

He also had Ernie Adams who retired when GOAT Cheater left with was responsible for spying, diagnosing rule boundaries and other cheats.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gregg said:

At the end of the day, it's Terry's call. If he wants them back, they will be back. If he wants to clean house, then they are both gone. If he wants to keep one and fire the other than that will happen. 

If course it is Terry's call. But I am telling you it won't happen. It is both of them or none of them. 

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

He also had Ernie Adams who retired when GOAT Cheater left with was responsible for spying, diagnosing rule boundaries and other cheats.

I wouldn't want Bill the GM. Let Beane run the draft. Give me the coach who went to 9 Super Bowls with a 6-3 record in those games. Bill with this team and QB would get us past the Chiefs, Bengals. You can't argue with the results he has gotten when he had a great QB and a solid team.

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Everyone here knows its incredibly hard to win a Super Bowl right?  11 Coaches have won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years in the NFL.  So you guys want to fire the best coach in Bills history if the team doesnt get to the AFC Championship Game?

Should the Ravens fire John Harbaugh?  Sure he won a Superbowl, but that was 2012.   He's missed the playoffs 6 of 10 years since, and hasnt made it past the divisional round in 10 years.     Is anyone going to argue John Harbaugh is a bad football coach?

Bottom line is you have to be in the playoffs to win championships and our current head coach has missed the playoffs 1 time in 6 years.   If McDermott were to be fired he'd have another head coaching job this offseason.

For the people calling Mcdemott Marvin Lewis, stop, you're making yourself look like a fool.   Lewis has a .511 career winning percentage, and never won a playoff game.     That dude got 16 years, and you guys are trying to fire McDermott, a guy with the best winning percentage in Bills history, and 4 playoff wins in 6 years, because you dont like that he claps a lot or because Daboll is more fun. 

Top ten defense in 4 of 7 years.   Top ten offense in 4 of 7 years.   Brought your team a franchise QB.  Wins constantly.      Stop with the fire McDermott nonsense.    You dont fire a proven winner for an up and coming coordinator. 

I suspect you guys all want someone more like Kyle Shanahan?   The guy who has lost more games than McDermott?  The offensive genius who has made it one round further than McDermott and still lost?  The guy who who has missed the playoffs 3 of 6 years?   Guess what, Kyle Shanhan was never coming to Buffalo.  Do you know why?  Because before Mcdermott and Beane the Bills were a trash franchise who had to hire guys like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey because real coaches didnt want to come here.  

Please for the love of God, put a little respect on McDermott's name instead of constantly complaining.   He brought this franchise back to legitimacy.  The people complaining about McDermott are the type of guys who marry a supermodel and then complain about her one leg being longer than the other.  Please stop.

Bills fans are, on the aggregate, not very bright.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

The question posed is assuming Allen starts/plays every game this season. 

My vote is yes. 

Stability is something that is a great thing to have on a NFL team which is something the Bills didn't have for 17 + years & this guy has been a winner ever since he's got here & all the Fire  McD posts are nuts . I'd rather have a winner that's in the hunt every year than what the Bills were prior to his arrival !

Question - So who would you replace him with ?

All those yah hoo's that wanted Sean Payton to come in because he was this great Super Bowl winning coach but seeing how that's going in Denver that would be just a great thing now wouldn't it ? 

There may need to be some tweaks to the coaching roster but i don't believe McD is the one that needs changing if Dorsey doesn't get it figured out then maybe he is the one that needs to go & i think he will get it figured out & win while he's doing it ...

Besides the last time they brought in what was thought to be a great hire in Sexy Rexy how did that go ? It's a crap shoot you never know from a coaches past how good or bad they will be .

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

But he claps his hands! 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I wouldn't want Bill the GM. Let Beane run the draft. Give me the coach who went to 9 Super Bowls with a 6-3 record in those games. Bill with this team and QB would get us past the Chiefs, Bengals. You can't argue with the results he has gotten when he had a great QB and a solid team.

Bill Belichick has 1 playoff win in 10 years without Brady.  He was on his way to being fired in New England before Bledsoe went down and Brady took over.

He's 85-90 without Brady.  His winning percentage is .485 without Brady.   Thats worse than Jack Del Rio, Wayne Fontes, Mike Tice, and Dave Wannstedt.    He's made the playoffs 2 of 10 years without Brady.

If you really want to give up a 49 year old head coach for a guy who will be 72 next year, and hasnt shown he is half the coach McDermott is without Tom Brady, I'd say you were the type to make irrational decisions based on emotions alone.

Tom Coughlin won 2 Superbowls.  He's only 77 maybe we can bring him back?     Joe Gibbs has 3 Superbowls, only 82, lets see what he is up to.   If all else fails, we could just Weekend at Bernie's Bill Walsh.  I suspect just his presence can will the Bills to the Superbowl.

Edited by thenorthremembers

He is doing a a great job with the defense. I think McDermott might have to make the decision to find an OC who can design an offense more suited for Josh. Dorseys X's and O's aren't really working for Josh

No. Just stop. The only way McDermott is on the hot seat after this season is if he has a one and done wild card loss this season. The only way I see him possibly being fired is if we miss the playoffs entirely and even then, I still think he gets another season

21 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Marvin Lewis was the HC for Cincy for 16 years, made the playoffs 7 times and was 0-7 in all his playoff appearances.

I think you're a little off with this one.

Yep. That's how ignorant people are. They don't even research to see that McDermott has already done more than Marvin Lewis had ever done in his HC career in less than half the time 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We'd have to lose 11 straight.  LOL.  I agree though that he's way safer than most fans here would prefer.

Of course he's safe. He always makes sure he has a ready scapegoat to play in his back pocket.  First there was Farwell, then Frazier,  now Dorsey.  The hard core McD supporters conveniently forget he hired all these guys.  He controls whether or not the OL will ever be dynamic.  He's not going to out-strategize better offensive minded coaches. He's going to hope Josh can heroically win the game.  And if you're fine with that,  let him stay forever.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Bill Belichick has 1 playoff win in 10 years without Brady.  He was on his way to being fired in New England before Bledsoe went down and Brady took over.

He's 85-90 without Brady.  His winning percentage is .485 without Brady.   Thats worse than Jack Del Rio, Wayne Fontes, Mike Tice, and Dave Wannstedt.    He's made the playoffs 2 of 10 years without Brady.

If you really want to give up a 49 year old head coach for a guy who will be 72 next year, and hasnt shown he is half the coach McDermott is without Tom Brady, I'd say you were the type to make irrational decisions based on emotions alone.

I think Bill wins a Super Bowl with Josh. I am not sure Sean will. Like I said 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 championships. What has Sean won. He can't even defend a 3-point lead with 13 seconds left and the Chiefs starting on their own 25.

This question is too black or white, so I went with No.

If we make the divisional round and lose a well played/coached game to the Chiefs there's no way I'd want McD fired. 

I think there's 3 basic scenarios I'd want to see McD fired, and all of these are only if Josh is healthy. 

1) We miss the playoffs entirely

2) Lose in the 1st round to a bad team

3) Coaching flop ala 13 seconds 

So in short, it doesn't matter which round we make it to. It matters how the team looks. 

15 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Tom Coughlin won 2 Superbowls.  He's only 77 maybe we can bring him back?     Joe Gibbs has 3 Superbowls, only 82, lets see what he is up to.   If all else fails, we could just Weekend at Bernie's Bill Walsh.  I suspect just his presence can will the Bills to the Superbowl.

The Hoodie has proven that if you give him a superstar QB he will deliver the hardware. 

McD has proven that if you give him a superstar QB and a top-5 roster he can get you out of the Divisional round.

Of course, the entire premise of McD getting canned and Belichick stepping in is ridiculous, but so was your post.

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not in the Super Bowl or Bust crowd, but I am frustrated with what feels like Josh Allen’s prime years being wasted. 

The question should be, ...

Is McD getting the most from this team/roster that's possible, particularly in the playoffs?  

june 15 : If the Bills Don’t win it all, Should McDermott Be Fired?
september 15 : If the Bills Don’t make it to the SB, Should McDermott Be Fired?

october 15 : If the Bills Don’t make it to the conference championship, Should McDermott Be Fired?

november 15 : ???

looking at the trend, right now, it doesn't look like a wonderfull season

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

The Hoodie has proven that if you give him a superstar QB he will deliver the hardware. 

McD has proven that if you give him a superstar QB and a top-5 roster he can get you out of the Divisional round.

Of course, the entire premise of McD getting canned and Belichick stepping in is ridiculous, but so was your post.

I agree with you that McDermott and Beane aren't getting fired. But I could see the Pats and Bill parting ways. Just throwing out "What if" scenarios. 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Of course he's safe. He always makes sure he has a ready scapegoat to play in his back pocket.  First there was Farwell, then Frazier,  now Dorsey.  The hard core McD supporters conveniently forget he hired all these guys.  He controls whether or not the OL will ever be dynamic.  He's not going to out-strategize better offensive minded coaches. He's going to hope Josh can heroically win the game.  And if you're fine with that,  let him stay forever.

In his defense, the D is much better with him running it. Part of why we lost last season was the ridiculous defense we ran last season in that Bengals playoff game. Guys playing 10 yards off WR all game with no rushing the passer at all. We just let them hit the underneath stuff all game

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Assuming he is available after this season.

OIP.yO2Xn-SBygoxRLfJ5gaS9QHaE7?pid=ImgDe

I just threw up in my mouth.  However, even if he were available and not a total piece of ***** person, he's defensive minded.  If they got rid of McD, it would be for someone with an offensive mind.

11 minutes ago, QCity said:

Tom Brady isn't just a superstar QB.  He is literally the best player to ever lace up cleats.  Maybe the greatest champion of all time.

Belichick had other pro bowl level QBs in his time.   Kosar and Bledsoe were both pro bowl talents and he did didly crap with them.

1 hour ago, boater said:

These tired and worn out "Fire McD.. wasting Allen's best years" crusades never address the next more important question: And replace him with who? I especially love the arrogant statements along the lines of "Who wouldn't want to work with Josh Allen"

Name the new coach and why you think:

• he would be a step up from McD
  • he will be available
  • he'd be interested in the Bills
  • his family would be willing to move to WNY (we've lost a couple there)
  • he would work well with Beane
  • Pegs would be willing to eat the remaining 4 years of McD's contract

I caution against naming any college coaches. Most want nothing to do with the NFL. The ones who try are often wash-outs.

Few points:

- There are no guarantees on any coach, but whether the next one is better than McD or not has nothing to do with whether or not he is good enough. That’s reality. 

- If they aren’t already an NFL HC, then they’re available. 

- If they aren’t already an NFL HC, then they’re interested with few exceptions (ie Saban). The Bills have an elite QB which would put them at the very top of the list for any coach. 

- your comment about WNY is ridiculous (and I’ve being kind). no one is going to pass up an NFL head coaching job because they don’t like the geographical area. 

- Beane and McD are a package deal. They will stay or go together. 

- The point about McD and Beane’s contracts will impact how it will play out. It’s why I don’t think it will happen as quickly as this off-season. However, the question isn’t whether or not it happens m, it’s whether or not it SHOULD happen. So it’s immaterial to the question at hand. Also this doesn’t impact the cap and I don’t care about the cost to the Pegulas personally.

- Your comment about most college coaches not wanting to coach in the NFL is ridiculous. The vast majority would jump at the chance – and paycheck - to do so.

The only answer that matters in this entire discussion is whether or not McDermott and Beane can be counted on to bring a Championship to Buffalo. Based on their past performance, especially in the playoffs, explain to me why you think they will do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

In his defense, the D is much better with him running it. Part of why we lost last season was the ridiculous defense we ran last season in that Bengals playoff game. Guys playing 10 yards off WR all game with no rushing the passer at all. We just let them hit the underneath stuff all game

Absolutely,  the defense is running better and more balanced & aggressive under Sean.  Losing Tre, Matt and DQ just flat out sucks. Still not sure what version of Von we'll get later in the year.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Tom Brady isn't just a superstar QB.  He is literally the best player to ever lace up cleats.  Maybe the greatest champion of all time.

Belichick had other pro bowl level QBs in his time.   Kosar and Bledsoe were both pro bowl talents and he did didly crap with them.

Allen is closer to Brady than Kosar and Bledsoe. 

23 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think Bill wins a Super Bowl with Josh. I am not sure Sean will. Like I said 9 Super Bowl appearances and 6 championships. What has Sean won. He can't even defend a 3-point lead with 13 seconds left and the Chiefs starting on their own 25.

Is Josh Allen as good as Tom Brady?  If not, then Belichick hasn't shown any evidence that he'd be able to win a championship let alone a playoff game with Allen.  

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Is Josh Allen as good as Tom Brady?  If not, then Belichick hasn't shown any evidence that he'd be able to win a championship let alone a playoff game with Allen.  

Brady is the GOAT, but Allen is up there. I do think he would win a Super Bowl with Josh. 

i cannot stand McDermott but on it's face i cannot say he deserves to be fired for simply not getting to the AFCC. there are a few cases where he could make it barring a catastrophic issue. if we played a helluva game, organized and focused and lost in the 2nd round in a high scoring game i would be very disappointed in him but not want to lynch him solely on that.

if we lost and had no defensive cohesion and coordination - like has been an issue in the past - then yes.

of note: i wanted him shitcanned after 13 seconds for having absolutely no organization on the team when it came to crunch time. since then he has only disappointed us in the playoffs. beating an inferior Pats team with an emotional high then getting lucky against the Ravens and squeaking by against a backup Dolphins QB are bull####.

I don't think McDermott stands a chance to be fired, barring some sort of tire fire lockerroom issues that result in the team missing the playoffs, or maybe even limping in as the 7th seed and getting beat handily in the WC round.

Do I think he 'should' be fired if they dont make the AFCG?  I think it depends on how that looks and the circumstances around it, and what happens in the AFC Divisional Round.  What deficiencies of the team prevented them from moving forward, etc.

I think they need to be very careful in removing and replacing McDermott.  I do think his culture thing is real and the players have respect and like playing for him, which in a lot of ways offsets the things that make Buffalo unappealing to NFL players (Allen has a hand in that too).  Just look at the contrast of that fat man Brian Daboll reaming out his players and throwing them in front of the bus vs how McDermott handles things.  

Some fans don't understand how good McD is.

I don't think he's great.  But I'd also put about 2 coaches in the league in the "great" category right now.  If anyone watches other games on Sundays, it's pretty bleak out there. There is a LOT of bad coaching in the league..

And just to echo sentiments already expressed - who do you replace him with?  If it's someone unproven - and the vast majority of candidates will fit that description - you could really take a left turn, and then you would really be wasting years while we have Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

I voted no. My issue sits similarly to what the Eichel monstrosity became...if you fire McDermott, are you going to have Allen playing any role in the replacement hire? We've already experienced a lot of unease with how the offense has progressed with his favored OC pick.

If this season's result is due to the offense resembling the last two weeks and the Bengal Div Round game, you must a) hire a competent Offensive Coordinator to replace Dorsey, and b) hire a Defensive Coordinator to take that off McDermott's plate. If he isn't keen on any of that, then maybe it would be time for him to go too. But he's gotta feel like making the playoffs isn't enough anymore, and if so he'd be the first to want to look at how to fix the ills.

Not sure a change in coaching is needed, change in team building philosophy may be what's required. Sustained success is great for ticket numbers, expense sheets, and making "Lire". Buffalo needs a SB, I say go for it. Stop ***** footing around and get the sense of urgency mind set in high gear.

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Tell me you've watched no broncos games without telling me you've watched no broncos games

I can't watch that garbage.  Sean Payton looks like he is ready for assisted living. 

I don't get discussing replacing McD on week 6.  So this is as serious as I am willing to get. 

Edited by nedboy7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.