Expectations of perfection are hampering this team.

Giuseppe Tognarelli

The Bills won. It didn't look anything like we hoped or expected, but they won.

Bills Mafia and the media are responding like it's a loss. Tony Dungy remarked postgame that Josh Allen sounded like a quarterback who lost.

There was a lot of talk about the Bills possibly benefiting from less pressure this year, but I don't think that's the case. I think there's a lot of internal and external pressure on this team to not only win but also win big and pretty.

I'm not sure this feeling exists in other NFL cities. I think we might need an attitude adjustment, or the weight of expectations could undo this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Hey, here’s some fun stuff:  but for the Steelers/Browns bye the Bills would be in 7th in the conference, 1/2 game ahead of the Jets (3-3) who own the tie breaker over them. 

Good, good stuff. 

Nah, it’ll be fine.

And stay only one game behind Dolphins and win the remaining Dolphins game and Division Championship is assured, again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Most of us are hardcore fans and yes, we expect 31-35 pts every week.  Josh and Diggs expect it too i’m sure. 

It’s not reality and i’m thrilled they won a close game at the end. They’ve won plenty of big ones but have also lost too many one score games in the McD/Allen era. 

• Dislike 1

Agreed with original post.  Every week is a challenge in NFL no matter who you’re playing.  Contrast Josh’s interview to Mahomes after he wins at least 5 ugly games like this every year.  Get the dub and figure stuff out.  They count the same whether you win by 30 or with help from the refs.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed with original post.  Every week is a challenge in NFL no matter who you’re playing.  Contrast Josh’s interview to Mahomes after he wins at least 5 ugly games like this every year.  Get the dub and figure stuff out.  They count the same whether you win by 30 or with help from the refs.  

Excellent point that I almost brought up in my post. It sounds different when Mahomes and the Chiefs win these.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Bills Mafia and the media are responding like it's a loss. Tony Dungy remarked postgame that Josh Allen sounded like a quarterback who lost.

There was a lot of talk about the Bills possibly benefiting from less pressure this year, but I don't think that's the case. I think there's a lot of internal and external pressure on this team to not only win but also win big and pretty.

I'm not sure this feeling exists in other NFL cities. I think we might need an attitude adjustment, or the weight of expectations could undo this team.

You won because Tyrol Taylor totally messed up to end the 1st half and didn’t even get 3 points because he ran the ball with no time out left. Then the refs totally miss an obvious PI in the end zone as well against the Bills. The Bills are lucky not to be in 3rd place in the AFC East this morning. 

The media and Bills fans see the schedule and know the tough part of your schedule hasn’t even hit yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Hey, here’s some fun stuff:  but for the Steelers/Browns bye the Bills would be in 7th in the conference, 1/2 game ahead of the Jets (3-3) who own the tie breaker over them. 

Good, good stuff. 

Nah, it’ll be fine.

The Bills will be in the playoffs.

I've come to believe the location of the game and the opponent don't really matter.

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

You won

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the biggest problem is many of us have been around since the years of barely putting a football team on the field. Always winning just enough to be in the hunt but never good enough to be considered an elite team in this league. With this QB. With this roster we are and should be considered an elite team. But for multiple reasons we look like one of the worst teams in football for the last few weeks. We can only hope they get their crap together and play their best football down the stretch. But if it takes them too long, they aren’t going to make it to the playoffs to show it. Hard part of the schedule coming. If you plays teams like the Chiefs, Cowboys, Bengals, Dolphins (again) like the way you are now, you’re going to lose all of them. 

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yours is hope.  Cool.  Go Bills.

Mine is where we are.

I hear ya good buddy. There’s definitely something off with this team, and the games we’re expected to roll in, we simply can’t, whilst the games we are told will be cliffhangers (e.g. Phins), we dominate? I get the whole playing down to your opponent concept, but this feels beyond that. Consistency for us means being inconsistent, and that’s no way to live. But how do we fix it? Maybe it’s time for the infamous players-only meeting? 🫣🤷🏼‍♂️

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

You won because Tyrol Taylor totally messed up to end the 1st half and didn’t even get 3 points because he ran the ball with no time out left. Then the refs totally miss an obvious PI in the end zone as well against the Bills. The Bills are lucky not to be in 3rd place in the AFC East this morning. 

The media and Bills fans see the schedule and know the tough part of your schedule hasn’t even hit yet. 

You know who else didn't get "3 points"? The Bills, TWICE. If we are going to play that game, might as well bring that up as well.

Perfection?  I think we'd all be happy with competent.  Half of their games have been downright painful and unpleasant to watch.  During game day, I can't understand how they continue to be so bad at time and situational management?  They need to establish a plan B and C on offense.  Allen to Diggs isn't always going to be possible for 10+ connections a game.  You'd think they'd be working on getting additional threats on film against the lesser teams.    

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Oh god a Pats* fan commenting on no calls hahaha priceless

If we are going to play that game, Barkley was pushed backwards out of bounds a couple plays earlier in the drive and the clock didn’t keep running. They never should have had 2 chances for DPIs to begin with

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Expectations of perfection are hampering fans from enjoying football. 
Ahh, that’s better. So we won an ugly, close game. Good on the Bills. I enjoyed the victory. Even smoked a celebratory bowl after and slept well. Happy victory Monday!!

22 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Thanks for the input, Mr. 1-5

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

We won. The rest doesn’t matter. I’ll leave it at that. How’d the Pats do? 

22 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

You don't lose a game at the end of the first half. They get that 3 and the game may have played out different. Decisions made from that point on wouldn't be exactly the same.

And yup, obvious PI on the last play. As well as obvious hands to the face on Waller. You wanna bring it up...bring the entire play up. 

29 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I hear ya good buddy. There’s definitely something off with this team, and the games we’re expected to roll in, we simply can’t, whilst the games we are told will be cliffhangers (e.g. Phins), we dominate? I get the whole playing down to your opponent concept, but this feels beyond that. Consistency for us means being inconsistent, and that’s no way to live. But how do we fix it? Maybe it’s time for the infamous players-only meeting? 🫣🤷🏼‍♂️

What you’re seeing that’s off the last 2 weeks is the jet lag. We’ll be back to normal in time for the Pats division game. 

Edited by ToGoGo
Duplicate post

They're elite athletes, not parents looking to recover after a family trip to to Europe, acclimating back into their jobs.  They have access to the best recovery tools, diet and performance enhancement professionals. We shouldn't accept a jet lag excuse.  They're not flying cattle class either, like the rest of us.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Please. 

Fan expectations have very very little effect on this team or any team. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Expecting to not come to a goal line stand with no time left against one of the worst teams in football with a a backup QB is not too much pressure.

If it’s too much pressure for our QB and WR making $70M, or for our coach with 6 years left on his deal, or our GM with 6 years left on his deal, then serious changes need to be made and I’m not talking about attitude adjustments.

give me a break.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

They're elite athletes, not parents looking to recover after a family trip to to Europe, acclimating back into their jobs.  They have access to the best recovery tools, diet and performance enhancement professionals. We shouldn't accept a jet lag excuse.  They're not flying cattle class either, like the rest of us.    

Athleticism has nothing to do with response to jet lag. The idea is ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You don't lose a game at the end of the first half. They get that 3 and the game may have played out different. Decisions made from that point on wouldn't be exactly the same.

And yup, obvious PI on the last play. As well as obvious hands to the face on Waller. You wanna bring it up...bring the entire play up. 

Changed the hole game IMO. Instead of being up 2 scores they made it so 1 TD gave the bills the lead. Just terrible game management by Taylor and 90/100 QBs don’t make that mistake? 

even in you scenario its a do over play, but the hands to the face at least can easily be missed, PI like that shouldn’t ever be missed.

Mind you Bills will get theee calls because your one of the top teams, and you were facing one of the joke teams. 

There are unrealistic expectations that this team should always dominate an inferior opponent.   When we had Tyrod we would play the pats and a game similar to last night would unfold in the end we lost.  Teams make good game plans.   The giants wanted to play for dabol last night they wanted to play for Tyrod.  They wanted to play for their season and in the end a lot went the way they hoped it would…..two to zero turnovers, punts, missed fgs. and yet the bills still won.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

When you can't crush teams you should...it's a problem.

• Like (+1) 2

The expectation of the offense performing how it has over the past few years; consistently decent, isn’t an outlandish thing.

There’s way too many lackluster performances.  

Sure, come the end statistically it will look like there shouldn’t be a complaint but when you watch the games collectively and have massive outputs it’s going to inflate the overall numbers.

Past few years with the same core players this team was moving the ball well week in week out. With the improved offensive line play this year, something we all have been hoping to happen for years, the expectation to be where they have been is pretty reasonable IMHO….

🤷‍♂️

52 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

neither do the chiefs.  We showed what we’re capable of against the Dolphins.  Keep grinding out wins, get to the playoffs, and play your best football at end of season.  

If we keep playing how we’re playing, we’re not going to make the playoffs with our 2nd half schedule 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NUT said:

They don't look like a championship team.

As long as McClappy is at the helm, I don’t think they ever will be.

To the OP: the thread title is absurd and LAUGHABLE. It’s NOT Expectations of Perfection that are hampering this team

Here are the real things that are hampering this team, and anybody who has watched NFL football for even a few years knows it:

1) Poor coaching on basic football skills/techniques, time management, and proper use of available personnel

2) Poor Play Calling

3) Poor execution by players

4) Weak minds by players (No “Fire in the Belly” to win)

5) And of course, Injuries to Key players

If they somehow back in to the playoffs, and make it past one game, I will be shocked.

PS - The color of the uniforms has NOTHING to do with anything. Get real.

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Disagree 1

First off, good win, wasn’t pretty but as is said, a win is a win.

2nd off,  Play calling, personnel use, and player execution on offense is what’s hampering this team. Imo, egos are getting in the way of team performance. Hope we get our heads on straight soon, 

GO BILLS!!!

Pathetic offense is hampering this team. 

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Pathetic offense is hampering this team. 

When you read posts like this, it begins to make sense how the Bills got away with a 17 year drought. 

Bills are probably the worst 4-2 team in the NFL and this guy is like “there’s too much pressure, they are just kids!”

this isn’t the LLWS.

• Agree 1

Perfection??   No far from that. What do I expect from a team with a top 3 generational QB, a borderline HOF Wr and lots of talent ? How about at least an average competent O with an established identity on a consistent basis? Hmm?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.