Joe Ferguson

3 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

It's time for AJ to shine

Season is not too late

For him to participate

He'll tacke and he'll take the ball

From a Mahomes pass and win it all.

AJE and AJK fit together well.

AJE is weak at run support and AJK is good in run support.

I could see stunt with both on field - AJK will engage defense lineman so AJE is free to tag QB.

BTW AJ Klein called in May that the defense would more aggressive.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, boyst said:

klein at will, rapp in at hybrid/heavy nickel. we can have rapp in with johnson and run a 3-3-5. rapp can be the sam, klein at will, and bernard at mike. this can allow rapp to go up against te's or slots while we bring klein up to the line.

basically, we need rapp to now play aztec.

liability is not having good edge setters. lawson can set an edge on the weakside, groot, philips, and ford on the inside, with miller on strongside smart enough to protect rapp.

found this quick

browsed it, looks reasonable to help understand what we can do.

At this point in McD's tenure and at this stage in any specific season, it is the opposite of reasonable to propose a RADICAL defensive realignment from a 4-2 to a 3-3.

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

At this point in McD's tenure and at this stage in any specific season, it is the opposite of reasonable to propose a RADICAL defensive realignment from a 4-2 to a 3-3.

it isn't going to be a radical change. it's going to simply be changing assignments. unfortunately, it's too much for mcd to want to do, i am sure.

i think it would be more of a double nickel defense vs a straight up 3-3. i really don't like that they say we are a 4-2 defense when floyd and miller are both labeled LB's.. but that's another conversation.

22 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

He may not be as quick as Milano but he's a smart veteran and already knows Bills defensive plays. There's a reason he is kept in the PS. He will shine in the starting lineup.

Let's hope that he can get it done & all the while that Williams can pay attention & possibly be the guy they thought he might be when they drafted him to learn & possibly fill in until Matt can come back to the team weather it be next year or earlier good lord willing ...

17 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Klein backs up the 'Mike' role that is manned by Bernard, not Milano's "Will" role.

he has played will and sam for mcdermott. he has primary played Sam before becoming a mike in his most recent stints with mcdermott.

if any LB has versatility to play this role it is him.

Klein to Will is possible, Rapp to Sam

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

he has played will and sam for mcdermott. he has primary played Sam before becoming a mike in his most recent stints with mcdermott.

if any LB has versatility to play this role it is him.

Klein to Will is possible, Rapp to Sam

Fair enough about the past but his speed limitations at his age now I believe limit him to Mike in the mind of the team, imo.

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

Fair enough about the past but his speed limitations at his age now I believe limit him to Mike in the mind of the team, imo.

true. and i could see him being a sam again or a will with some tweaking to what we do. i'd also consider putting him on the LOS as a LB to check the TE's or slot WR's and cover the flat. he's a dynamic LB who still has talent and a whole lot of experience.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:34 PM, gonzo1105 said:

No thanks, let Dorian Williams take his lumps in the easier part of the schedule and get him up to speed. 

No, he is way too raw and a poor tackler which showed on a major way againat the Jags. He was first man up and got pulled for the reasons I stated to begin my reply.

26 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I am late to this thread like Klein is to the ball carrier. 

But I dont like it, Klein is a bum. sad we are in this situation

They cut him two months ago … now he is going to be the saviour …🙄

Edited by Aussie Joe

5 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Klein backs up the 'Mike' role that is manned by Bernard, not Milano's "Will" role.

AJ Klein has backed up Milano.  2020, Chiefs game, Jets and Patriots game when Milano tried to play but couldn't tackle so Klein took the majority of the snaps - didn't look good.

Then they put Milano on IR and re-worked the defense to better suit what Klein can do.  Next week, AJ Klein wins DPOW against the Seahawks.

Huh.

Anyway, point is, Klein has played both roles, but it works best when the DC tweaks the defense and doesn't try to plug him in as a 1:1 Milano substitute.

There is no substitute for Cookie.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but...

I'd like to see it be Dorian Williams' time.

I'd like for the Bills to just put the rookie out there for the next three games against subpar to bad offenses and let him get his feet wet and let the game slow down for him.

In the meantime, if they want to re-sign Klein to the practice squad or inject Tyrel Dodsen with gene-mutating X-men serum or whatever, that's fine, too.

But for now? I'd like to see the uber-athletic kid they spent a 3rd round pick on get a shot to replace Milano. In the immediate term, he's going to make mistakes. But if you trust the rest of your team, and you recognize that you're going to need someone in December and January that's playing WILL at a high level...let's see what the kid's got, eh? Let him get his hiccups and mistakes out of the way now and learn from them, and let's hope he can ball out come big game time.

Edited by Logic

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They cut him two months ago … now he is going to be the saviour 

Um, there is a reason why Klein has been on the PS while Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson have been on the roster.

It would be because those guys are "next man up" ahead of Klein right now.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but...

I'd like to see it be Dorian Williams' time.

I'd like for the Bills to just put the rookie out there for the next three games against subpar to bad offenses and let him get his feet wet and let the game slow down for him.

In the meantime, if they want to re-sign Klein to the practice squad or inject Tyrel Dodsen with gene-mutating X-men serum or whatever, that's fine, too.

Klein is already on the practice squad AFAIK (and I just checked Wiki and the Bills roster)

The thing with Dorian Williams -

-last season based on the snaps he got, I thought Terrel Bernard was a bust.  Evidently I thought wrong

-Dorian Williams didn't look good on Sunday am, but it remains to be seen whether that was because he's a rookie and he's still thinking too much which slows a guy down, or because he's not able to strap on a Milano size role but they can re-work it to fit him, or he's just not that good.

But sometimes a player needs to grow into the NFL, and throwing him out there in a prominent position week after week only to watch him flail, isn't always the best way to develop a guy.

I think the coaches have enough film on their guys to be able to figure it out.

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um, there is a reason why Klein has been on the PS while Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson have been on the roster.

It would be because those guys are "next man up" ahead of Klein right now.

Um… originally he didn’t even make the practice squad mm

Edit … my original comment was sarcastic … Klein is not the answer 

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

No, he is way too raw and a poor tackler which showed on a major way againat the Jags. He was first man up and got pulled for the reasons I stated to begin my reply.

No, I don't care about what he showed in 20 plays. Players get better. Its literally the first action he's ever seen in the NFL. Things tend to slow for guys as they gain more experience and it will for him. AJ Klein provides nothing as a pass defender in a passing league. This team also needs to start developing younger guys on defense as our defense is old as hell right now. He's also going to be a hell of a player in the NFL if he's given the chance.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:34 PM, gonzo1105 said:

No thanks, let Dorian Williams take his lumps in the easier part of the schedule and get him up to speed. 

That’ should be the plan going forward. Williams becomes a vital piece in our defense going forward. Look for the defense changing to accommodate AJ Klein playing run defense   while Williams takes the Milano coverage and pressure roles. Naturally AJ would come out on obvious passing scenarios.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DKBills25 said:

I really think that Klein can fill and do a better job than Williams or Dobs….

even for his age. 

dude is a dog 

Why would you think that?

The dude is old

I’d use them instead of Dodson but that’s totally a break glass in case of emergency situation

Bring on the young, athletic freaks

9 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I keep waiting to see an announcement that Kirksey is going to un-retire, but nothing so far...

I had not thought of that but that would have been admitting that Benford was a better LB than him he was not going to surpass Tyrel Dodson and Dorian Williams on depth chart which I do not think he will not admit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

That’ should be the plan going forward. Williams becomes a vital piece in our defense going forward. Look for the defense changing to accommodate AJ Klein playing run defense   while Williams takes the Milano coverage and pressure roles. Naturally AJ would come out on obvious passing scenarios.

I think his strength is run defense unlike some LBs he can catch. He has manned all three LB positions and is very knowledgeable on defense.  No learning curve.

large.778572349_MozJPEGUSATSI_17387039.j

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

No, I don't care about what he showed in 20 plays. Players get better. Its literally the first action he's ever seen in the NFL. Things tend to slow for guys as they gain more experience and it will for him. AJ Klein provides nothing as a pass defender in a passing league. This team also needs to start developing younger guys on defense as our defense is old as hell right now. He's also going to be a hell of a player in the NFL if he's given the chance.

Pound your fists as you might, the kid is not ready and LBs must be able tackle. 

14 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Pound your fists as you might, the kid is not ready and LBs must be able tackle. 

He’s not ready, I already said that but why play a guy who had zero future here and a team that literally only signed him after Spector got hurt. Let Williams grow while the teams suck on  the schedule and in 4 weeks you might have a guy who’s ready. 

but no instead of playing your investment let’s play the guy the Bills have cut 3 times in the last 12 months because he looked good against Russell Wilson 3 years ago 

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think his strength is run defense unlike some LBs he can catch. He has manned all three LB positions and is very knowledgeable on defense.  No learning curve.

large.778572349_MozJPEGUSATSI_17387039.j

Williams has more potential and if you give him time he might get better to help us later in the season. Klein is who he is and probably worse now then what he was.

13 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Williams has more potential and if you give him time he might get better to help us later in the season. Klein is who he is and probably worse now then what he was.

I do not disagree that Dorian Williams needs time on field - it is why he is on roster. 

Winning needs to come first and with Terrel Bernard getting dinged up and Matt Milano on IR a veteran is needed to help with defense. 

If Bills offense is able to perform as in three blowouts there will be time for Williams & Dodson and to get experience on the field.

On 10/9/2023 at 2:05 PM, MJS said:

Dorian Williams time! Klein should be added to the active roster, but he should be the backup.

I will trust McD has a plan to play the LB needed based on the game situations.  If our offense plays to its capability then I'm not too scared of our defense taking a few hits down in ranking as we have been pretty solid defensively in most of the games.  Good enough to be complementary to a high powered offense  of whi c h Josh is more than capable when he's patient and reading the defenses properly.  Seems like Josh should watch more film on opponents not so much how they'd play him in past games just what are their defensive strengths and what works best to get that defeated.  Josh is capable of dink dunk  as well as big plays 8f the defense has problems in pass  defense.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:33 PM, Joe Ferguson said:

He may not be as quick as Milano but he's a smart veteran and already knows Bills defensive plays. There's a reason he is kept in the PS. He will shine in the starting lineup.

As well. He can help coach up Williams on what he's sees when he 8s on field maybe enough to keep Williams from any rookie mistakes.  Just get sense that Dorian is more voachable than Tremaine ever was based on the lack of growth to Tremaine game.   

As well. He can help coach up Williams on what he's sees when he 8s on field maybe enough to keep Williams from any rookie mistakes.  Just get sense that Dorian is more voachable than Tremaine ever was based on the lack of growth to Tremaine's game.   

As well. He can help coach up Williams on what he's sees when he 8s on field maybe enough to keep Williams from any rookie mistakes.  Just get sense that Dorian is more voachable than Tremaine ever was based on the lack of growth to Tremaine's game.   

As well. He can help coach up Williams on what he's sees when he 8s on field maybe enough to keep Williams from any rookie mistakes.  Just get sense that Dorian is more voachable than Tremaine ever was based on the lack of growth to Tremaine's game.   Also maybe there's is some plan to bring in a free agent vet in later part of year to beef up area of need without the full cost of rest of season cost in cap $$.  Say a Anthony Barr is open to playing in 2nd half of season for a chance at a ring without the full toil of a full season and benefitting from being healthy and fresh in 5 h e end run to playoffs and thru the post season as well.

As well. He can help coach up Williams on what he's sees when he is on field maybe enough to keep Williams from any rookie mistakes.  Just get sense that Dorian is more voachable than Tremaine ever was based on the lack of growth to Tremaine's game.   Also maybe there's is some plan to bring in a free agent vet in later part of year to beef up area of need without the full cost of rest of season cost in cap $$.  Say an Anthony Barr is open to playing in 2nd half of season for a chance at a ring without the full toil of a full season and benefitting from being healthy and fresh in the end run to playoffs and thru the post season as well. He may take a team friendly deal for a chance at a ringvwith less wear and tear if he signs later in year.  Free agents don't have to worry bout a trade deadline.  Not sure what the cutoff date is to add a new player to roster for season.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I do not disagree that Dorian Williams needs time on field - it is why he is on roster. 

Winning needs to come first and with Terrel Bernard getting dinged up and Matt Milano on IR a veteran is needed to help with defense. 

If Bills offense is able to perform as in three blowouts there will be time for Williams & Dodson and to get experience on the field.

Winning don’t matter if you lose in the playoffs. We know we’re gonna win games, especially with a few weak teams coming up. You want to improve as the season goes on and be your best in the playoffs. You think Klein is gonna be our best option when we face teams like KC, SF and Philly? Lmao! It’s an option but it’s gonna be frustrating to watch

Edited by BananaB

16 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Winning don’t matter if you lose in the playoffs. We know we’re gonna win games, especially with a few weak teams coming up. You want to improve as the season goes on and be your best in the playoffs. You think Klein is gonna be our best option when we face teams like KC, SF and Philly? Lmao! It’s an option but it’s gonna be frustrating to watch

Im not sure what you’re complaining about. 

As a longtime Bills fan, I’d love to see AJ playing against SF this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.