Why does Dorsey play 'scared' as soon as there is a decent pass rush?

Hebert19

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Dorsey can’t adjust, he just becomes more predictable whenever the Bills get behind. 

He can adjust… for about one play. See: the play action bomb to Diggs to start that drive from our own 5 yard line.

Then he goes right back to the same plays that failed three times in a row previously, and what happens? Yeah they fail three times in a row again. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Dorsey should have recognized after the FIRST series that the JAGS were not going to let us run the ball or hit those short rhythm passes.  Before the end of the 1st quarter he should have unleashed Allen and the downfield passing attack.

He should have recongised they were in a ton of man and ran some man beating concepts. He was still running our dink and dunk vs zone offense.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

He can adjust… for about one play. See: the play action bomb to Diggs to start that drive from our own 5 yard line.

Then he goes right back to the same plays that failed three times in a row previously, and what happens? Yeah they fail three times in a row again. 

One play is not adjusting. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Dorsey should have recognized after the FIRST series that the JAGS were not going to let us run the ball or hit those short rhythm passes.  Before the end of the 1st quarter he should have unleashed Allen and the downfield passing attack.

Yep. He has devised some seriously great game plans and plays, but adjusting during the game isn't his strength. Hopefully he learns. Bills have adjusted well many times after half time. This time it was just meh. 

• Agree 2

I just don't understand Dorsey.  The last few games, the offense has been evolving.  They were finding things that work well and have been scoring a ton of points because of it.  He's been totally fine until today to be honest.....not perfect, but fine. 

Today, it's like he looked at everything that has been working well and decided to do the opposite.  Having Allen under center has been nothing short of amazing this season.  He is the best in the league by far under center and utilizing play action.  Today, while I don't have the numbers in front of me, it felt like he was in the gun at least 80% of the time.  And when they did go play action from under center, that's when a lot of the bigger play happened. 

Until he figures out that he needs Allen under center at least 40% of the time, I don't think the offense will be what we all hope it can be.  And his idea of what to do in 12 personnel is so basic.  Not having any idea what to do with and how to use Kincaid down the field is baffling. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

unable to adjust to what the other team is doing once the game begins  You go to put your guys in good situations and shotgun draw runs and short curl routes aint it

Every Team knows when we do the shotgun draw. We might as well put up a neon light when the we run the play, everyone on the ***** planet knows we're running that crap play. And the worst part is, it never seems to work! I'm not motivated to come through the success rate of that play but it never seems to be a positive play...

I tend to agree about Dorsey. The mark of a quality OC is making adjustments when the D is stopping your gameplan. The Bills again looked like they had no answers at times. Didn't help that Oline was poor today, especially the guards, which has been a strength 

Dorsey is a QB coach, he's not an OC. Maybe someday he will be, but today he's not. OC's need to be able to gameplan and scheme and adapt. Dorsey does none of those. Teams know what the Bills are going to do before the game. And the ones with good enough talent on defense to match up have been stuffing them. And Dorsey is helpless when it happens

Edited by pigpen65
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Optimistically he has not had to respond to a situation where teams are “allowing” deeper shots. Usually teams cap the deep stuff and dare Josh to dink and dunk. This time the Jags trusted their pass rush and dared Josh to go deep. 

Dorsey will hopefully learn from this and take the deep shots when they are there

I think it's been made clear that he hates Bills fans and game plans specifically to anger them into nitpicking and overanalyzing every little thing about the team in the week following a loss. It doesn't take a real Schmucklock Holmes to piece this together. Y'all keep it up and I've heard Ken gonna be dealing out wholesale nard-kicks on youse. 

Idk we don’t run trick plays, hardly use screens, do not have a quick slant game. I hardly see any option routes or anything unique that can be practiced and implemented. Extremely vanilla. Then you watch a chief’s game and you literally never know what’s going to happen. 

Josh actually had pretty good pocket protection today too which makes it all even more interesting 

• Like (+1) 1

Because he is a terrible OC.  He doesn’t k ow how to use the weapons he has.  His QB is best under center on first and second down opens up play action.  He never uses motion in an effort to get a player forward movement at snap of ball.  We no longer run reverses or screens.  No creativity and falls apart when his master plan fails as it did in first two series

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

I swear he did this last year too.  Good defensive line and he panics.  Let Josh be josh. 

Ken Dorsey doesn’t want to be here, this just everything he has done, said, and completely showed up for Carolina with a job interview before the Cincy game.  He’s like Loki pretty much and to many homers got stuck by his staff.

2 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Because he is a terrible OC.  He doesn’t k ow how to use the weapons he has.  His QB is best under center on first and second down opens up play action.  He never uses motion in an effort to get a player forward movement at snap of ball.  We no longer run reverses or screens.  No creativity and falls apart when his master plan fails as it did in first two series

To be fair besides diggs, do we have another “weapon”? I was hoping our first rounder would be a bigger piece 

Just now, JROC INTEL said:

To be fair besides diggs, do we have another “weapon”? I was hoping our first rounder would be a bigger piece 

We do but he refuse to use our first round pick  as a BIG slot receiver.  He has Shakir, Sherfield he under utilizes.  He calls wide run plays when dealing with DEs like Allen

• Like (+1) 2

I got some thumbs down for saying andy insabella could have been useful in games like this, a gadget player with quickness to create space, much like how Beasley was able to create space. Idk we need another guy with quick change of direction 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Running the ball with 5 minutes left….

Right. Why? These little things don’t get talked about enough, yet I see them every game.

14 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I think it's been made clear that he hates Bills fans and game plans specifically to anger them into nitpicking and overanalyzing every little thing about the team in the week following a loss. It doesn't take a real Schmucklock Holmes to piece this together. Y'all keep it up and I've heard Ken gonna be dealing out wholesale nard-kicks on youse. 

Lil ken doll can bring it then

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

We do but he refuse to use our first round pick  as a BIG slot receiver.  He has Shakir, Sherfield he under utilizes.  He calls wide run plays when dealing with DEs like Allen

Dorsey doesn’t make any secret he wants to leave.  Talked about it leading up to Miami, chirped himself up to the Panthers, and ignored his biggest playoff game.  A locker room cancer and suddenly folks are going to say when he’s gone and the offense becomes more explosive.  After he gets creamed what it’s like playing for a real OC.

3 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

I got some thumbs down for saying andy insabella could have been useful in games like this, a gadget player with quickness to create space, much like how Beasley was able to create space. Idk we need another guy with quick change of direction 

Right. Why? These little things don’t get talked about enough, yet I see them every game.

My biggest concern about Dorsey , besides his lack of adjustment when the pressure is on. Is that he does not seem to see what Tools he has available in his arsenal of player. There are plenty of player based opportunities for advance play calling. and yet ...

1 minute ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Dorsey doesn’t make any secret he wants to leave.  Talked about it leading up to Miami, chirped himself up to the Panthers, and ignored his biggest playoff game.  A locker room cancer and suddenly folks are going to say when he’s gone and the offense becomes more explosive.  After he gets creamed what it’s like playing for a real OC.

Is this why Diggs was furious  last years end ?
 Was mentioned more than once and It makes sense.

McBeanes better tighten this up

McDermott is in his 6th season as head coach.  I know Dorsey is the OC.  But McDermott has to own that fact that in 25% to 33% of our games, it seems like our offense is still "trying to figure it out".  

The entire organization puts forward great effort into the games, but too often that great effort comes across as "amateurish" (note amateurs try hard to).  Today's effort from the bizzare traveling planning to the Cook's -4 yard rushing effort, passing on Bass kicking a field goal, calling time outs because the team is confused, to Dorsey's horrible game plan, and lack of adjustments looked like amateur hour. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He should have recongised they were in a ton of man and ran some man beating concepts. He was still running our dink and dunk vs zone offense.

He should of know the Jags run tons of man and been ready for it w man beaters as well....they are not a zone team

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.